Early 2021 Mock Draft

JetNation

2021 NFL Mock Draft

The NY Jets are winless at the moment and they are trending toward the # 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence is the reported top prize.

Check out this video as GreenBean takes an early look at the draft. This video focuses on something different. Not what the Jets should do, but what they could do.

What would happen if the Jets traded down? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

The post Early 2021 Mock Draft appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Tsrikch3Ta4

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

2021 NFL Mock Draft

The NY Jets are winless at the moment and they are trending toward the # 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence is the reported top prize.

Check out this video as GreenBean takes an early look at the draft. This video focuses on something different. Not what the Jets should do, but what they could do.

What would happen if the Jets traded down? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Enjoy your vacation GreenBean!

• Sympathy 1

That is an incredible draft...however my first thought is by the time they all grow up we would be looking at a lot of money on their second deals and be in the same situation the next year (19 picks in the following draft!!!) I know everyone won't pan out and there are Comp Picks for the some of losses but that's still 14+19=33 rookies in 2 years.  I also would have liked more offensive lineman especially in the middle rounds the draft for that pipeline, and did I hear right only 1 corner?  We would definitely would be able to have the best trade packages to move up in this or the following draft which would consolidate the number of picks...Also go get Harbaugh to coach this team.

That is quite the haul! Love the idea of all these young studs growing up together. If you go this way there is no way you start Trask. You keep Darnold & let them fight it out. If Sam loses his job, so be it. 

Sure. The good news is that you won’t need the additional draft capital you’d receive in a Darnold trade.
We just decline his 5th year option ant year 4 is a battle.
If given the opportunity I would take TLaw. But this is certainly interesting. And I think we found get more I. Real life.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure. The good news is that you won’t need the additional draft capital you’d receive in a Darnold trade.
We just decline his 5th year option ant year 4 is a battle.
If given the opportunity I would take TLaw. But this is certainly interesting. And I think we found get more I. Real life.

I'm with you on the tank for Trevor train. I think whatever we get for Darnold, plus what we have all ready plus our salary cap dollars is plenty to get this thing turned around. Robinson- Thuney- draft Humprey or Myers & you starting Oline is set moving McGovern (who's under contract) to RG. Thats only 2 free agents & 1 draft pick. That still leaves possibly the Seattle pick or #33 still available, regardless of what we get for Darnold. 

Just look at the cuts they can make without losing any real talent, just bodies, (Fant 8 million savings, Lewis 5.4 million, Anderson 8.2 million) thats $21.6 million & we aint gonna miss them! Now, just imagine if you will that the Seattle pick turns out to be Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle or Rondale Moore? Could happen right? 

Now the Jets are cutting Jamison Crowder & saving 10.5 million dollars! With those 3 other guys thats a savings of $32.1 million dollars!!! Jets would have a lot of dough for the 2nd round of free agency after what will be a tepid start to free agency because so few teams have a lot of cap dollars. I'd go big fish like Robinson or Juju, Thuney or Scherff & then bargain shop to strengthen the defense. There are always the holdouts like Clowney last year. 

With just 3 draft picks & 6 to go, plus whatever the Darnold pick or picks are and just 2 free agent moves you've solidified your Oline & your WR group. So lets say Robinson & Thuney cost us 35 million on the cap in 2021, that still leaves somewhere between 70 & 80 million to fill out the roster. (Thats including cutting Crowder). 

• Sympathy 1

The problem I think we would run into and you could argue is a good problem to have is that if we hit on half those guys this year and half the guys next year there is no way to pay them all. Talking about trading darnold at the end in this scenario and in my opinion would be a terrible idea. Why trade darnold when his value is at its lowest when you are bringing in a guy as uncertain as Kyle trask why not instead let darnold compete under whatever new coaching staff and let the best player win out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

I don't like the idea of taking a QB in the second round, and I am not interested in taking a tight end at the end of the 1st round.  I think we need to focus on wide receiver, running back, offensive line, pass rusher and linebackers.

Taking a QB in the second round is like saying, we messed up with Morgan in the 4th round.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  We have no clue what Morgan will turn out to be, which is why I would start him a couple of games near the end of the season to see exactly what we have in him.

• Sympathy 1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:17 PM, JetNation said:

2021 NFL Mock Draft

The post Early 2021 Mock Draft appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

Tsrikch3Ta4

Click here to read the full story...

Really enjoyed this.  It would actually would be tempting to do (though I'd keep Sam as our QB).

Btw, part 4 of this series should be "Greenbean asks a complete stranger what they would do".

• Sympathy 1

Trading out of #1 is sooooo ballzy, even if you are sold on the idea that Fields would be #1 if it were any other draft that didnt have Lawrence in it. Trading out of the #2? You're are asking for a lot to overcome with whatever Qb you get after that. If it didnt work out, Douglas would be a laughing stock. I cant see him doing it 

• Sympathy 1

I love you @GREENBEAN your energy and passion is second to none but I can't support any draft that trades out of the #1 pick while running away from Trevor Lawrence; just for "more picks". 

We can trade out of the Seattle pick for more picks. We can then trade out of the 1st pick of the 2nd round for more picks. We can trade out of the 3rd round 2x for more picks and we can also trade our own 1st round next year for more picks before also trading away Seattle's 1st round pick next year for more picks etc, etc (in order to draft around Trevor Lawrence).  

But 2021 isn't the year to trade away our 1st overall pick especially with Trevor Lawrence for the taking; the greatest QB prospect since Elway/Manning at that. 

As a Franchise we've only had the #1 overall pick 2x and one of those #1 overall picks we traded out of the #1 pick while passing up on a can't miss Franchise LT who later turned Pro Bowler, All-Pro, SB Champion and HOF legend; Orland Pace...

We make that same mistake again? And run away from another HOF player but this time @ the QB position?

We'd never be able to forgive Joe Douglas or the Jets. 

Peyton Manning ran away from us and it's bothered me ever since; so us being the one's who ran away from Trevor Lawrence would bother me forever. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Anything that doesn’t include Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields at the top of the draft, is really pointless tbh 

Naaah. In order to be confident you are maki g the correct decision, it’s very good practice to explore the realistic potential of the alternative.

Plus... it’s fun. . Kinda like. “What would you do if you won the lottery?”

The problem I think we would run into and you could argue is a good problem to have is that if we hit on half those guys this year and half the guys next year there is no way to pay them all. Talking about trading darnold at the end in this scenario and in my opinion would be a terrible idea. Why trade darnold when his value is at its lowest when you are bringing in a guy as uncertain as Kyle trask why not instead let darnold compete under whatever new coaching staff and let the best player win out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah. If it’s Trask you might want to Consider retaining Sam for his 4th year. Reject the 5th year option and let him play out his 4th year. A QB battle between Sam, Trask and Morgan. Whoever is the best plays.
It’s an idea.

The paying guys is definitely a small problem. One we wouldn’t have to deal with for 4 years. Cheap contracts until then with more draft picks coming. If JD can get a talent pipeline going like the Steelers or Ravens we’d be fine when players leave for the big contracts. That’s best case scenario.

I love you [mention=9819]GREENBEAN[/mention] your energy and passion is second to none but I can't support any draft that trades out of the #1 pick while running away from Trevor Lawrence; just for "more picks". 
We can trade out of the Seattle pick for more picks. We can then trade out of the 1st pick of the 2nd round for more picks. We can trade out of the 3rd round 2x for more picks and we can also trade our own 1st round next year for more picks before also trading away Seattle's 1st round pick next year for more picks etc, etc (in order to draft around Trevor Lawrence).  
But 2021 isn't the year to trade away our 1st overall pick especially with Trevor Lawrence for the taking; the greatest QB prospect since Elway/Manning at that. 
As a Franchise we've only had the #1 overall pick 2x and one of those #1 overall picks we traded out of the #1 pick while passing up on a can't miss Franchise LT who later turned Pro Bowler, All-Pro, SB Champion and HOF legend; Orland Pace...
We make that same mistake again? And run away from another HOF player but this time @ the QB position?
Peyton Manning ran away from us and it's bothered me ever since; so us being the one's who ran away from Trevor Lawrence would bother me forever. 

I Happen to agree. If it’s my choice I’m taking TLaw 1st overall. If someone came with an offer of like 5 years of 1sts or two entire drafts or something like that, I’d consider it lol.

This is merely an exercise to explore the potential alternative. A lot of people I chat with on IG, Twitter or YouTube aren’t like us in here. They never think about this stuff to the degree we in JN do. So it’s fun to get the conversations going.
Some people get really pissed at me too lol. It’s fun to play with but I’m taking TLaw almost 100%.

• Post of the Week 1

Trading out of #1 is sooooo ballzy, even if you are sold on the idea that Fields would be #1 if it were any other draft that didnt have Lawrence in it. Trading out of the #2? You're are asking for a lot to overcome with whatever Qb you get after that. If it didnt work out, Douglas would be a laughing stock. I cant see him doing it 

It round take such big balls wouldn’t it? lol.

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I Happen to agree. If it’s my choice I’m taking TLaw 1st overall. If someone came with an offer of like 5 years of 1sts or two entire drafts or something like that, I’d consider it lol.

This is merely an exercise to explore the potential alternative. A lot of people I chat with on IG, Twitter or YouTube aren’t like us in here. They never think about this stuff to the degree we in JN do. So it’s fun to get the conversations going.
Some people get really pissed at me too lol. It’s fun to play with but I’m taking TLaw almost 100%.

I know man you were just having a good time with hypothetical situations like drafting Trevor #1, building around Sam and then this last one of trading out of #1 and #2 for picks but PS: I already can't wait for your REAL MOCK DRAFT once 2020 is a thing of the past ?

• Upvote 1

Here's an interesting GedankenExperiment on this topic.  Look at the Andrew Luck draft.  Imagine a trade-down and see if there are any 3 players from that draft and/or the next one you would rather have, in hindsight, than Luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_Draft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_Draft

About the best I can come up with is: Gilmore, Hopkins and Chandler Jones.  And that's if you nailed all three picks and even then, I think I'd rather have had Luck.

If you try to do this for Peyton, you can come up with a slightly better offering like Randy Moss, Edgerrin James and Champ Bailey.  But I think you still take Peyton.

You could argue that there are better QBs in this draft than in any of those others, but still, I think there's a lesson here.  You might get 1 chance every three decades to draft 1st and then, only if you're really lucky, is there a stone-cold lock QB worth taking there.  When your ticket comes up, you cash it in and don't look back.

So it's defintely fun to play the scenarios out, but at the end of the day, I think it's 100% guaranteed we draft T-Law.

• Sympathy 1

Here's an interesting GedankenExperiment on this topic.  Look at the Andrew Luck draft.  Imagine a trade-down and see if there are any 3 players from that draft and/or the next one you would rather have, in hindsight, than Luck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_Draft
About the best I can come up with is: Gilmore, Hopkins and Chandler Jones.  And that's if you nailed all three picks and even then, I think I'd rather have had Luck.
If you try to do this for Peyton, you can come up with a slightly better offering like Randy Moss, Edgerrin James and Champ Bailey.  But I think you still take Peyton.
You could argue that there are better QBs in this draft than in any of those others, but still, I think there's a lesson here.  You might get 1 chance every three decades to draft 1st and then, only if you're really lucky, is there a stone-cold lock QB worth taking there.  When your ticket comes up, you cash it in and don't look back.
So it's defintely fun to play the scenarios out, but at the end of the day, I think it's 100% guaranteed we draft T-Law.
"The haul" is very enticing though. Especially if you believe in a guy like Trask.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I love you @GREENBEAN your energy and passion is second to none but I can't support any draft that trades out of the #1 pick while running away from Trevor Lawrence; just for "more picks". 

And Walter Jones!!! He traded back & missed out on not 1 but 2 HOF left tackles!!!! for......drum roll please.....James Farrior. 

On 12/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jetster said:

I'm with you on the tank for Trevor train. I think whatever we get for Darnold, plus what we have all ready plus our salary cap dollars is plenty to get this thing turned around. Robinson- Thuney- draft Humprey or Myers & you starting Oline is set moving McGovern (who's under contract) to RG. Thats only 2 free agents & 1 draft pick. That still leaves possibly the Seattle pick or #33 still available, regardless of what we get for Darnold. 

Just look at the cuts they can make without losing any real talent, just bodies, (Fant 8 million savings, Lewis 5.4 million, Anderson 8.2 million) thats $21.6 million & we aint gonna miss them! Now, just imagine if you will that the Seattle pick turns out to be Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle or Rondale Moore? Could happen right? 

Now the Jets are cutting Jamison Crowder & saving 10.5 million dollars! With those 3 other guys thats a savings of $32.1 million dollars!!! Jets would have a lot of dough for the 2nd round of free agency after what will be a tepid start to free agency because so few teams have a lot of cap dollars. I'd go big fish like Robinson or Juju, Thuney or Scherff & then bargain shop to strengthen the defense. There are always the holdouts like Clowney last year. 

With just 3 draft picks & 6 to go, plus whatever the Darnold pick or picks are and just 2 free agent moves you've solidified your Oline & your WR group. So lets say Robinson & Thuney cost us 35 million on the cap in 2021, that still leaves somewhere between 70 & 80 million to fill out the roster. (Thats including cutting Crowder). 

Yep. It's not all that difficult when you know what youre doing. And JD does. The fact that the Jets have gotten it wrong for so long just shows how inept  the owners really are. 

I would keep Fant and Crowder but yeah man. It makes tons of sense and we have a lot of flexibilty. This Gm has set us up in the best way possible. 

10 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I was waiting for this. You hyped it up over the weekend when I popped in the live game chat. I've since been banned from Youtube permanently after 10 years. 

Jake signing off? 

What? What the hell could get you banned from youtube man? 

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I know man you were just having a good time with hypothetical situations like drafting Trevor #1, building around Sam and then this last one of trading out of #1 and #2 for picks but PS: I already can't wait for your REAL MOCK DRAFT once 2020 is a thing of the past ?

ha Yeah man. Me too. It's way in the beginning of really looking at guys but I love it.  I think I'll do 10 official drafts this year lol 

• Sympathy 1