PFF's NFL's Top 50 free agents

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

For Trevor Lawrence and all of our available cap space? I'd like to see JD splash on two game changing FA WR's (instead of just one). 

QB: Trevor Lawrence. 

WR1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: JuJu Smith-Schuster. 

WR2: Denzel Mims. 

WR4: Jamison Crowder. 

Giving a young Trevor Lawrence KC Chiefs types of pass catching options/weapons. 

While giving us an ability to attack O-Line/RB/TE with our first 3 picks of the first two rounds. 

I wouldn't even know how to process that kind of offensive haul if it ever happened. But it won't. So I don't need to worry.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Eh. Any thoughts Sam has would be with the old regime, which won't be there anymore so don't think it'd hold much weight. Either way, the money will do the talking. 

I think guys talk more than you think.  If the money is close to the same, I would put weight into what a college buddy thought of an organization he has spent time with.  Even with a new coach, if you think your buddy got a raw deal from the GM you are negotiating with little help around him, and he was just tossed to the side for the next big thing, it might have an impact on your thought process.  It would for me.  

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

If you swapped Juju with Joe Thuney/Brandon Scherff this would be a lot better. Our interior OL still needs major improvement. Also if we’re spending big on a WR this year in free agency it’s gotta be Robinson/Godwin or Golladay. 

I didn’t realize both Godwin and Golladay can be tagged.  I don’t think either hits the open market.

• Upvote 2

This is a fun list and its interesting to see who they project will shake free vs who won't, but this year more than any there is just no way to know until FA actually hits. 

For example, according to OTC, Tampa has $150mm in cap commitments for 2021. They assume they franchise Godwin ~$20mm, pay Barret $20mm per year, and resign Lavonte David for ~$13mm per year. So with those signings alone they'd be at ~$203mm in cap commitments and that only assumes a roster of 36 players, and no draft class. The projected cap is apparently $170mm next year, but lets say its $180mm, they'd still be $20mm over and would need another 20 players on their roster. Maybe they can backload those a bit, but still...

So if they actually do that then all of a sudden Donovan Smith may become a cap casualty, maybe Ali Marpet can be had for a mid round pick, OJ Howard could be released, etc. etc. 

There is going to be more roster shake up this year than ever before and there are only a handful of teams (Jets being one of them) that are really in a position to take advantage of it.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

While I like him as a player, I don’t see Smith-Schuster signing with the Jets.  He was connected to the Jets because he played with Darnold.  Do you really think he will sign if Darnold is out the door? 

Yeah I liked the idea of signing JuJu better when it seemed that Darnold was our guy. I’d rather look at Alan Robinson with the way things have turned out. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

For me, I'm throwing all our money at:

Godwin, JuJu, A. Robinson, Golladay, Schreff, and Thuney.

Though I doubt Godwin leaves TB.

Works for me too.

Solidify the OL and the WR unit along with Lawrence or Fields another promising draft class and a competent coaching staff and 0-16 will be forgotten and the best thing to happen to the Jets

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

For me, I'm throwing all our money at:

Godwin, JuJu, A. Robinson, Golladay, Schreff, and Thuney.

Though I doubt Godwin leaves TB.

I agree that Godwin isn't that likely to leave.  Neither is Golladay.  OTOH, until they are signed or franchised they are higher up my list than Smith-Schuster.  If we are keeping Crowder I'd put Will Fuller and Corey Davis (who is their #39, and they see him as having an inflated contract based on draft position) ahead of him too. 

I wonder what @win4ever thinks of Davis. He is a Tennessee guy and spends a ton of time reviewing Titans.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

I didn’t realize both Godwin and Golladay can be tagged.  I don’t think either hits the open market.

Yeah I’d agree especially on the Golladay front but if we couldn’t get one of the 3 I mentioned earlier, I’d much rather invest that money into the interior OL than at JuJu. 

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that Godwin isn't that likely to leave.  Neither is Golladay.  OTOH, until they are signed or franchised they are higher up my list than Smith-Schuster.  If we are keeping Crowder I'd put Will Fuller and Corey Davis (who is their #39, and they see him as having an inflated contract based on draft position) ahead of him too. 

I wonder what @win4ever thinks of Davis. He is a Tennessee guy and spends a ton of time reviewing Titans.

If Fuller wasn't constantly getting hurt, i'd be all for bringing him in. But his speed would be nice to add.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is a fairly decent analysis, and I think realistic.

The WR FA class is the reason I think that the jets did not ink Robby Anderson. While it will cost a little more, the upside is worth it. Smith-Schuster working out of the slot (where he is comfortable), will open the field for Mims. 

I don't get it.  Why do we want to overpay a slot receiver when we already have Crowder?  We need an outside receiver, not a slot guy.  And the track record on former Steeler WR's on their new teams should always give us pause there.

Please, please get me Allen Robinson or someone like him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SR24 said:

If you swapped Juju with Joe Thuney/Brandon Scherff this would be a lot better. Our interior OL still needs major improvement. Also if we’re spending big on a WR this year in free agency it’s gotta be Robinson/Godwin or Golladay. 

Scherff is massively overrated.

Seems like it will, and should, be Thuney or bust when it comes to IOL signings.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't get it.  Why do we want to overpay a slot receiver when we already have Crowder?  We need an outside receiver, not a slot guy.  And the track record on former Steeler WR's on their new teams should always give us pause there.

Please, please get me Allen Robinson or someone like him.

Schuster can play both outside and inside.  I am hoping the Jets could trade Crowder. 

4 hours ago, Marshmello said:

100% agree. A star player on his contract year. He hasn't complained once about the lack of targets. Claypool and Johnson get more targets than him. Seems like a really good kid. 

So Jets fans want to throw a bunch of money at the Steelers' # 3 receiver in part because he's a good guy.

Give me the a$$hole who goes for 1,500 yards and/or 14 TD's, please.  Our best season in the last decade, we had Brandon Marshall as our WR1.  And Marshall isn't nearly as good as the top names on this year's FA list.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Jets fans want to throw a bunch of money at the Steelers' # 3 receiver in part because he's a good guy.

Give me the a$$hole who goes for 1,500 yards and/or 14 TD's, please.  Our best season in the last decade, we had Brandon Marshall as our WR1.  And Marshall isn't nearly as good as the top names on this year's FA list.

Give me a guy that makes the others around him better (which JJSS has done for both Brown and Claypool), is not afraid to do the dirty work inside and does not pout if he is not consistently getting his targets. 

I would prefer that the top FA expenditure NOT be at the WR position this spring.  

39 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If Fuller wasn't constantly getting hurt, i'd be all for bringing him in. But his speed would be nice to add.

I'd be happy to acquire Fuller as long as you can guarantee we're also getting a true WR1, either in free agency or the draft.

Fuller would make an excellent 3rd or 4th receiving option to have.  I'd view him much the same way as I do Perriman.

I find this article to be pretty bad.  Has the colts signing rivers and winston, Cincy signing cam.

the Jets need more help at OL, preferably thuney and possibly another G and T. Would rather Robinson or Golladay over juju - mainly since they’re more outside receivers than a slot like juju 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Scherff is massively overrated.

Seems like it will, and should, be Thuney or bust when it comes to IOL signings.

Yeah I agree Thuney is 100% my preference. Would give us one of the best left sides in the league. I’d still take Scherff as a consolation though, our interior Oline really needs something 

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Thuney is easily my top target, I don't think NE let's him walk though.

You sign Thuney and A Rob, draft Lawrence at 1, Etienne with the SEA pick and then target a guy like Pat Freiermuth with our early 2nd  and that offense is looking good. We'd still have $$ left for other free agents too, as well as multiple 3rd rounders and whatever we get back for Sam.... Just gotta hope Thuney shakes free

• Upvote 2

This would be a horrendous use of resources. Sorry. For Godwin, fine.

Juju sucks this year btw. And yes he has been squeezed out of targets. But there’s a reason why. 

Hes a good, not great receiver. You could draft someone this year in the second maybe third round without losing much (85% of him). 

What kind of crack do you smoke to want to spend 14M on a strong safety. We didn’t do it with Adam’s. Why do it now with a lesser player? And I dislike Adams.

“Situational” pass rusher for 16M? God knows jets need a pass rusher. But not some maybe situation for 16M.

This list sucks

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$14MM/year for Marcus Maye -- never mind with a ~10% expected drop in cap?

I think PFF is reading too much into their own suspect rating/ranking for the player.

I'm not seeing that contract in the Jets' future. Not after the same GM went bargain shopping on the OL and WR when he had plenty of cap room.

I like Maye, and think he's a good starter, but I'd draft another safety in rounds 3-4 before signing on for that level of a deal. Lord knows we have plenty of day 1-2 picks over the upcoming 2 drafts. IMO that's a contract for an already-contender with cap space, looking to shore up its last few remaining areas of weakness. Not for a team with 10+ holes who's about to take their 2nd top-3 overall pick QB in 4 years. I'd rather gamble on another rookie starting at safety than gamble on one surrounding our next shiny new rookie QB.

Couldn’t they just franchise Maye for less than 14MM? To me it’s a no brainer. The Jets certainly don’t get to use that thing often. 

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This. Would vastly prefer a number one type outside receiver like Robinson or golladay

The greatest WR ever Juju Smith-Schuster has 572 receiving yards after 11 games with Ben Roethlisberger throwing to him

And this guy is a stud?

I'll be surprised if the Jets sign a high level FA WR this year.  Particularlly Smith.  They already have a pretty good slot guy.  IMO they are going to go with Mims as #1.  This is touted as a WR rich draft.  I can see them going back to well for a WR in the second round again.

As far as FA's, sure, I'll take a total guess.

T Taylor Moton

G Joe Thuney.

Jets hopefully will have Lawrence  as QB.  Lets not make the same mistakes from the past.  Protect him.  I'd like to get a TE, but just don't see anyone that rings the bell.

I'd bring Maye back, but not at the $ PFF is talking about.  I don't think that much will be needed.

I'd also sign CB William Jackson.