JTJet

The Harbaugh Myth

8 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This really needs it's own thread to clear up some of the disinformation and confusion surrounding Jim Harbaugh.

The story of Harbaugh being "hard to work with" and will want "full control"...is a myth. It's made up. It's literally fake news from the SF beat circa Trent Baalke when they worked together. 

Here is what I said in the other thread...

Trent Baalke was always the problem in SF, it was well known at the time to those paying attention, and became extremely evident after Harbaugh parted ways. 

The ONLY reason the parting of ways happened was because Harbaugh was wise to how much Baalke was sh*tting the bed with his drafts, so Harbaugh asked ownership for more power, and Baalke made a power play forcing Harbaugh out. Immediately after he left, the entire team imploded and Baalke was let go, proving Harbaugh's stance correct. 

There are no stories from San Diego, Stanford, SF, or Michigan about Jim being hard to deal with, other than the narrative Trent Baalke let the media paint when he torpedoed him. Baalke did that to take the focus off of himself. 

Every single person associated with the 49ers from ownership to the fan base regrets siding with Trent Baalke over Jim Harbaugh. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/10/this-is-all-your-fault-trent-baalke/amp/

In addition, Harbaugh and Jed York did not get along and it wasn’t over roster control. Harbaugh did not respect York at all.

There’s one story of Jim holding a team meeting and York walked in and Harbaugh says “meeting is for men only.”

Another story was there was some ceremony York was throwing for the whole organization at night and wanted everyone, all assistants etc to attend. The day of, Harbaugh switched the film review schedule for the assistants, forcing them to miss the ceremony.

I don’t think Harbaugh wanting control was ever an issue and I wouldn’t see it as being one here.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This really needs it's own thread to clear up some of the disinformation and confusion surrounding Jim Harbaugh.

The story of Harbaugh being "hard to work with" and will want "full control"...is a myth. It's made up. It's literally fake news from the SF beat circa Trent Baalke when they worked together. 

Trent Baalke was always the problem in SF, it was well known at the time to those paying attention, and became extremely evident after Harbaugh parted ways. 

The ONLY reason the parting of ways happened was because Harbaugh was wise to how much Baalke was sh*tting the bed with his drafts, so Harbaugh asked ownership for more power, and Baalke made a power play forcing Harbaugh out. Immediately after he left, the entire team imploded and Baalke was let go, proving Harbaugh's stance correct. 

There are no stories from San Diego, Stanford, SF, or Michigan about Jim being hard to deal with, other than the narrative Trent Baalke let the media paint when he torpedoed him. Baalke did that to take the focus off of himself. 

Every single person associated with the 49ers from ownership to the fan base regrets siding with Trent Baalke over Jim Harbaugh. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/10/this-is-all-your-fault-trent-baalke/amp/

The other college coaches this year all feel that Harbaugh is very easy to get along with.  :)

• Haha 4

After reading this and the other thread, I think you should have titled it "The Harbaugh Legend"

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Also, plenty of Jet fans don’t realize that Harbaugh was a muffed punt, and the longer finger tips of Richard Sherman away from going to 3 straight Super Bowls.

Yup.

Had his 49ers team @ 14-3 and an NFC Championship Game (eliminated Drew Brees and the Saints 36-32 during the Divisional Round) during his first year as a 49ers head coach (and inherited a losing 6-10 team the season before) and would've advanced to the SB if not for the fumbled punt you're referring to...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That is simply not true:

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Jim-Harbaugh-49ers-Brandon-Jacobs-twitter-feud-11179715.php

"Going somewhere where they don't have route conversions into certain coverages was just absurd," Jacobs said. "They're just running routes in the defense, getting people killed. Size and strength is what they had, and that's why they won.

"Let's be real," Jacobs continued. "They had great assistant coaches, but Jim didn't know what he was doing. Jim had no idea. Jim is throwing slants into cover-2 safeties, getting people hurt. That guy knew nothing, man."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-jim-harbaugh-clinically-insane-san-francisco-49ers-20150420-story.html

Jim Harbaugh ended the 49ers’ eight-year playoff drought in his first season. In year two, San Francisco made its first Super Bowl appearance since 1994. Despite his success, any warm feelings between the head coach and his players went away quickly.

“He does a great job of giving you that spark, that initial boom,” 49ers offensive lineman Alex Boone says on an upcoming episode of HBO’s “Real Sports With Bryant Gumble,” according to ProFootballTalk. “But after a while, you just want to kick his.... He just keeps pushing you, and you’re like, ‘Dude, we got over the mountain. Stop. Let go.’ He kind of wore out his welcome.”

Harbaugh himself didn’t deny his tendency to wear on people.

“They just don’t want to be around you after a while,” he said.

https://www.nfl.com/news/deion-sanders-49ers-players-want-jim-harbaugh-out-0ap3000000402823

NFL Media's Deion Sanders said on Sunday's NFL GameDay Final that there is significant strain between coach Jim Harbaugh and his players.

"They want him out. They're not on the same page," Sanders said. "I really want to know if they're really playing for the head coach. I got a question with that. Are you really down with your head coach, San Francisco 49ers? Because the way it looks and what I'm hearing, you're really not down for your head coach. And that's a problem.

"They really got some problems that we hear rumblings. We all know people inside locker rooms."

Sanders tweeted that Michael Crabtree was not his source. Sanders famously is close with Crabtree and was involved in his rookie contract negotiations. Sanders tweeted that his sources wear "uniforms, suits, and ties."

Sanders' comments echo a report from NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport from Sunday morning. Rapoport said that the veteran voices grumbling about Harbaugh are getting "louder and louder" in part because Harbaugh treats his players like "children."

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Throughout 4 years before Jim Harbaugh arrived the San Francisco 49ers (before Jim) only went 26-38 (.406% and 12 games below .500) with 0 winning seasons, 3 losing seasons and 0 playoff appearances. 

Throughout 4 years in San Francisco the 49ers under Jim Harbaugh went 44-19-1 (.695% and 25 games above .500) consisting of 3 winning seasons, 0 losing seasons, 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB appearance. 

Throughout the 4 years following their awful GM firing Jim the 49ers only went (after Jim) 17-47 (.265% and 30 games below .500), 0 winning seasons, 4 losing seasons and 0 playoff appearances. 

Plenty of Jet fans don't realize how bad San Francisco was before Jim, how awesome they were under him and how awful they became without him (4 years prior/4 years during/4 years afterwards). 

Harbaugh had Frank Gore. Who do the Jets have? Of course he will want to come here. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That is simply not true:

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Jim-Harbaugh-49ers-Brandon-Jacobs-twitter-feud-11179715.php

"Going somewhere where they don't have route conversions into certain coverages was just absurd," Jacobs said. "They're just running routes in the defense, getting people killed. Size and strength is what they had, and that's why they won.

"Let's be real," Jacobs continued. "They had great assistant coaches, but Jim didn't know what he was doing. Jim had no idea. Jim is throwing slants into cover-2 safeties, getting people hurt. That guy knew nothing, man."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-jim-harbaugh-clinically-insane-san-francisco-49ers-20150420-story.html

Jim Harbaugh ended the 49ers’ eight-year playoff drought in his first season. In year two, San Francisco made its first Super Bowl appearance since 1994. Despite his success, any warm feelings between the head coach and his players went away quickly.

“He does a great job of giving you that spark, that initial boom,” 49ers offensive lineman Alex Boone says on an upcoming episode of HBO’s “Real Sports With Bryant Gumble,” according to ProFootballTalk. “But after a while, you just want to kick his.... He just keeps pushing you, and you’re like, ‘Dude, we got over the mountain. Stop. Let go.’ He kind of wore out his welcome.”

https://www.nfl.com/news/deion-sanders-49ers-players-want-jim-harbaugh-out-0ap3000000402823

NFL Media's Deion Sanders said on Sunday's NFL GameDay Final that there is significant strain between coach Jim Harbaugh and his players.

"They want him out. They're not on the same page," Sanders said. "I really want to know if they're really playing for the head coach. I got a question with that. Are you really down with your head coach, San Francisco 49ers? Because the way it looks and what I'm hearing, you're really not down for your head coach. And that's a problem.

"They really got some problems that we hear rumblings. We all know people inside locker rooms."

Sanders tweeted that Michael Crabtree was not his source. Sanders famously is close with Crabtree and was involved in his rookie contract negotiations. Sanders tweeted that his sources wear "uniforms, suits, and ties."

Sanders' comments echo a report from NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport from Sunday morning. Rapoport said that the veteran voices grumbling about Harbaugh are getting "louder and louder" in part because Harbaugh treats his players like "children."

Every single one of those is from a sour grapes player that either wasnt getting their way, or washed up, or a friend of a friend told someone something one time that someone MAY have heard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

“But after a while, you just want to kick his.... He just keeps pushing you, and you’re like, ‘Dude, we got over the mountain. Stop. Let go.’ He kind of wore out his welcome.”

This guy sounds like a SOJF hero. "I did the work and achieved some success. Now I want to stop working and have the Jets hand me a huge contract!"

Oh, coming from Alex Boone who went on to...guess what?! Sign a big contract and get cut when the Vikings wanted him to take a pay cut for sucking. 

If the worst thing said about him is that he kept pushing players after making the playoffs...uhhh....WTF is the problem? 

• Haha 1

A simple google search would prove otherwise. The great and powerful google will tell you that everyone hates harbaugh...even if you don't believe it to be true why follow gase up with someone who even has a chance of being hated as much or more?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

A simple google search would prove otherwise. The great and powerful google will tell you that everyone hates harbaugh...even if you don't believe it to be true why follow gase up with someone who even has a chance of being hated as much or more?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

If Gase went 44-19-1 as Jets head coach and owned the NFL's 5th highest head coaching winning percentage of All-Time (.695%) along with 4 seasons consisting of 0 losing seasons, 3 winning seasons, 3 Conference Championship Games and 1 SB appearance while sending 8-10 players to the Pro-Bowl and/or All-Pro team (each and every year)... Gase wouldn't be hated. 

Please don't ever mention Gase and Harbaugh within the same sentence, ever again. harbaughYES.gif.1ee5b0c3fdc7d717e186be391bb9dc0c.gif108309159_images(5).jpeg.3b3a11b0f5a92476792701cd5b38ac37.jpeg458483023_images(4).jpeg.cfcc3c485f39fc582b0c28ae73797627.jpeg322519383_images(6).jpeg.c213d4556461c1014aca1c984a96de8f.jpeg5b7c4e880fc97.image.thumb.jpg.ecf8f921aacfe4fb8d1f5bd09a71e492.jpg526542708_alexharbaugh.0(1).gif.358bfdd81365bcd7e6ae8b869220f444.gif456295386.0.thumb.jpg.d623d5f1171029bcb49b03980183ac43.jpgmoodyhighap.jpg.da2163daf90b83763f4306b407452fe8.jpg1200x0.thumb.jpg.dd90f7b45fb128b058811dc121a11697.jpghi-res-152106483_crop_exact.jpg.413d149312ee975207f9f637fde046ad.jpg

920x920.jpg.85baae2e540ffff58bc549a581538f2c.jpg

137013875_8.jpg.ae27b5d40785bc0cfca403826fac2fb6.jpg

"HE WAS HATED"

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That is simply not true:

When the O P said this needed it's own thread I kind of groaned.  LOL  I was fairly neutral on Harbaugh.

Now I'm glad he did another thread.  After reading this I really don't want anything to do with Him

This seems like a classic Woody move.  I think we would be better off with someone who is younger, hungrier and gets along better with others.  I don't want to do this again in two or three years.

• Like 1

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

This seems like a classic Woody move.  I think we would be better off with someone who is younger, hungrier and gets along better with others.  I don't want to do this again in two or three years.

A classic woody move would be to hire a dud who just got fired like Gase or a defensive coordinator 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Every single one of those is from a sour grapes player that either wasnt getting their way, or washed up, or a friend of a friend told someone something one time that someone MAY have heard. 

First you post that "There are no stories from San Diego, Stanford, SF, or Michigan about Jim being hard to deal with"

I then post actual articles with stories from SF players saying he is hard to deal with. 

You then respond with "bbbut, those players are sour grapes." 

Perhaps, but it still disproves your original point that THERE ARE NO STORIES. Right? I mean, there are clearly stories either, documented with real players putting their names to it or from sources. Regardless, there are in fact stories that he is hard to deal with.

We can debate the merits of a coach but we have to debate based on the reality of a situation and not based falsehoods. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

If Gase went 44-19-1 as Jets head coach and owned the NFL's 5th highest head coaching winning percentage of All-Time (.695%) along with 4 seasons consisting of 0 losing seasons, 3 winning seasons, 3 Conference Championship Games and 1 SB appearance while sending 8-10 players to the Pro-Bowl and/or All-Pro team (each and every year)... Gase wouldn't be hated. 

Please don't ever mention Gase and Harbaugh within the same sentence, ever again. harbaughYES.gif.1ee5b0c3fdc7d717e186be391bb9dc0c.gif108309159_images(5).jpeg.3b3a11b0f5a92476792701cd5b38ac37.jpeg458483023_images(4).jpeg.cfcc3c485f39fc582b0c28ae73797627.jpeg322519383_images(6).jpeg.c213d4556461c1014aca1c984a96de8f.jpeg5b7c4e880fc97.image.thumb.jpg.ecf8f921aacfe4fb8d1f5bd09a71e492.jpg526542708_alexharbaugh.0(1).gif.358bfdd81365bcd7e6ae8b869220f444.gif456295386.0.thumb.jpg.d623d5f1171029bcb49b03980183ac43.jpgmoodyhighap.jpg.da2163daf90b83763f4306b407452fe8.jpg1200x0.thumb.jpg.dd90f7b45fb128b058811dc121a11697.jpghi-res-152106483_crop_exact.jpg.413d149312ee975207f9f637fde046ad.jpg

920x920.jpg.85baae2e540ffff58bc549a581538f2c.jpg

137013875_8.jpg.ae27b5d40785bc0cfca403826fac2fb6.jpg

"HE WAS HATED"

Breaking news: Players look happy after wins. 

Maybe we should hire this guy:
jhqkrzt8iiqbzoev9otu

• Haha 2

Teams usually hire the exact opposite of their current coach. We already have a self absorbed prick as head coach, next coach will be more of a player's coach.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Teams usually hire the exact opposite of their current coach. We already have a self absorbed prick as head coach, next coach will be more of a player's coach.

Well, you could say that Harbaugh is the opposite of Gase in that he actually wins games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Welcome back, Rex!

(Actually, I guess Rex is a self-absorbed player's coach so not the exact opposite :)

Jim Harbaugh is a ******* a-hole....always has been, always will be.  Let me tell you a little story.....

About 22/23 years ago, I was playing golf on a public 9 hole course here in Indy, a couple of miles down the road from the Colts facility.

I sucked at golf then (I still kinda suck but I've improved a few strokes since then) and sliced a drive into the next fairway.

Didn't yell "fore" - the ball landed a good 150 yards from the group playing that hole coming in the opposite direction - didn't think I needed to, it wasn't anywhere close to anyone.

As I'm walking over to get my ball, I see a dude come screening down that fairway in his golf cart.  I could hear the curses coming from the cart from 100 yards away.  He drives up to my ball, picks it up and throws it at me.  All the while screaming f this, f that, f u a$$hole etc. etc.

I wanted to pound the dude but he was much bigger than me and the guy he was riding with was pushing 300 lbs.

I chirpped back a little but made my way back to my buddies cause I didn't want to get my ass beat.

It was Jim Harbaugh.  Dude is making millions a year and going off the rails psycho on someone playing a 9 hole public course that probably cost $10 to walk that day.

**** that dude.....I hope he gets ass herpes. 

He's an a$$hole and his sh*t won't sit well here for very long. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

Interesting... Can just one man's fallacious opinion have swayed the public so completely ???

• Upvote 1

Harbaugh's NFL experience was a very, very long time ago. Things change very quickly in the NFL. 

His recent work has been dubious, at best. Not all of his failures at Michigan are recruiting related. His choice of coordinators and his in-game planning/playcalling leave much to be desired.

• Upvote 1

I don’t like him because he tucks in his sweatshirts....who does that? 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Jim Harbaugh is a ******* a-hole....always has been, always will be.  Let me tell you a little story.....

About 22/23 years ago, I was playing golf on a public 9 hole course here in Indy, a couple of miles down the road from the Colts facility.

I sucked at golf then (I still kinda suck but I've improved a few strokes since then) and sliced a drive into the next fairway.

Didn't yell "fore" - the ball landed a good 150 yards from the group playing that hole coming in the opposite direction - didn't think I needed to, it wasn't anywhere close to anyone.

As I'm walking over to get my ball, I see a dude come screening down that fairway in his golf cart.  I could hear the curses coming from the cart from 100 yards away.  He drives up to my ball, picks it up and throws it at me.  All the while screaming f this, f that, f u a$$hole etc. etc.

I wanted to pound the dude but he was much bigger than me and the guy he was riding with was pushing 300 lbs.

I chirpped back a little but made my way back to my buddies cause I didn't want to get my ass beat.

It was Jim Harbaugh.  Dude is making millions a year and going off the rails psycho on someone playing a 9 hole public course that probably cost $10 to walk that day.

**** that dude.....I hope he gets ass herpes. 

He's an a$$hole and his sh*t won't sit well here for very long. 

To me this was just a great PSA explaining why no one should ever golf, and how all the excessive acres of land used for golf courses in this country should be put to actual good use, such as low-income housing perhaps, instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

First you post that "There are no stories from San Diego, Stanford, SF, or Michigan about Jim being hard to deal with"

I then post actual articles with stories from SF players saying he is hard to deal with. 

You then respond with "bbbut, those players are sour grapes." 

Perhaps, but it still disproves your original point that THERE ARE NO STORIES. Right? I mean, there are clearly stories either, documented with real players putting their names to it or from sources. Regardless, there are in fact stories that he is hard to deal with.

We can debate the merits of a coach but we have to debate based on the reality of a situation and not based falsehoods. 

A friend of a friend of a player complaining is not "Jim Harbaugh is a dick"

A player who complains that he is being pushed hard in practice is not "Jim Harbaugh is a dick"

You and the writers of these stories are putting false context on to something that happened. 

This is literally fake news. 

49 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting... Can just one man's fallacious opinion have swayed the public so completely ???

Is this a serious question? 

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Is this a serious question? 

Yeah.  It is.  On the face of it, the idea that Harbaugh was an excellent NFL HC who's reputation was smeared by a resentful and incompetent colleague has some merit on the face of it, but it takes a lot more than one detractor to create the widespread and comprehensive reputation that Harbaugh has for creating discord and flash-points within an organization.  Or in this case, multiple organizations.

I have a buddy who had some inside info on the 49ers around the time Harbaugh left there.  He randomly mentioned in conversation one day that the front office in SF was in tatters because of Harbaugh and this was before it started circulating as a much bigger story.

He's an ego maniac who will 100% want a ton of say on personnel.  No thanks.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To me this was just a great PSA explaining why no one should ever golf, and how all the excessive acres of land used for golf courses in this country should be put to actual good use, such as low-income housing perhaps, instead.

angry half baked GIF

• Haha 3

I could care less if the coach is a prick or a super nice friend of everyone.  Is he the best coach for the NY Jets right now.

I do not think Harbaugh is the right coach for the jets now.

I want someone innovative who has had a high degree of recent success. 

Harbaugh is neither of these to me.

• Upvote 2