The Harbaugh Myth

JTJet

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Yeah.  It is.  On the face of it, the idea that Harbaugh was an excellent NFL HC who's reputation was smeared by a resentful and incompetent colleague has some merit on the face of it, but it takes a lot more than one detractor to create the widespread and comprehensive reputation that Harbaugh has for creating discord and flash-points within an organization.  Or in this case, multiple organizations.

Ok I see. 

I just disagree that it takes a lot more than one detractor. It only takes a handful of stories to paint things in a certain light (insert Manish). 

The only story coming out of Michigan is that he couldnt beat Ohio State. Only now that rumors of him leaving are starting, fluff articles come out about him being hard to work with. 

Harbaugh has had three (10 win seasons) at Michigan. That’s enough for most programs, except Michigan is paying Harbaugh national championship $.

To be a 10+ win team competing for national titles you need to be a top recruiter. Jim Harbaugh is a psycho. Great coach but he definitely makes parents in their living rooms uncomfortable during the recruiting pitch.

Urban Meyer was talking about God and building men. Nick Saban speaking like a Southern charmed CEO, and then you have Harbaugh talking about destroying mens souls to claim a victory.

He’s better suited for the NFL. I’d be thrilled if we hired him.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Ok I see. 

I just disagree that it takes a lot more than one detractor. It only takes a handful of stories to paint things in a certain light (insert Manish). 

The only story coming out of Michigan is that he couldnt beat Ohio State. Only now that rumors of him leaving are starting, fluff articles come out about him being hard to work with. 

Point well taken with Michigan.  What is taking him so long to get a top ranking ??? The cant hang wit

h the top four ranked college teams even though he is paid like a national champion coach and is program ia just as well funded as the other top teams that are goin to be in the playoffs

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

There’s one story of Jim holding a team meeting and York walked in and Harbaugh says “meeting is for men only.”

Another story was there was some ceremony York was throwing for the whole organization at night and wanted everyone, all assistants etc to attend. The day of, Harbaugh switched the film review schedule for the assistants, forcing them to miss the ceremony.

sign me up GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Being cavalier about not respecting titles is a big sell for me. Useless ladder climbers are inclined to kiss ass, true talent knows they're bigger than a title. 

42 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Point well taken with Michigan.  What is taking him so long to get a top ranking ??? The cant hang wit

h the top four ranked college teams even though he is paid like a national champion coach and is program ia just as well funded as the other top teams that are goin to be in the playoffs

Recruiting 100% 

The best players dont want to go play in cold ass Ann Arbor, It's not a party school either. 

Michigan being a modern era national powerhouse is also a myth. They only have 1 national championship since either of us have been alive, and that was two decades before Harbaugh. The standards the media holds them to is vastly out of tune.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Jim Harbaugh is a ******* a-hole....always has been, always will be.  Let me tell you a little story.....

About 22/23 years ago, I was playing golf on a public 9 hole course here in Indy, a couple of miles down the road from the Colts facility.

I sucked at golf then (I still kinda suck but I've improved a few strokes since then) and sliced a drive into the next fairway.

Didn't yell "fore" - the ball landed a good 150 yards from the group playing that hole coming in the opposite direction - didn't think I needed to, it wasn't anywhere close to anyone.

As I'm walking over to get my ball, I see a dude come screening down that fairway in his golf cart.  I could hear the curses coming from the cart from 100 yards away.  He drives up to my ball, picks it up and throws it at me.  All the while screaming f this, f that, f u a$$hole etc. etc.

I wanted to pound the dude but he was much bigger than me and the guy he was riding with was pushing 300 lbs.

I chirpped back a little but made my way back to my buddies cause I didn't want to get my ass beat.

It was Jim Harbaugh.  Dude is making millions a year and going off the rails psycho on someone playing a 9 hole public course that probably cost $10 to walk that day.

**** that dude.....I hope he gets ass herpes. 

He's an a$$hole and his sh*t won't sit well here for very long. 

I carry a .38 for just such an emergency 

200.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I could care less if the coach is a prick or a super nice friend of everyone.  Is he the best coach for the NY Jets right now.

I do not think Harbaugh is the right coach for the jets now.

I want someone innovative who has had a high degree of recent success. 

Harbaugh is neither if these to me.

Who exactly fits the description of "someone innovative who has had a high degree of recent success?"  There is no such person.  And don't throw out the  name of some assistant coach who had a good year as a coordinator.  Being a successful coordinator in the NFL is about as much a predictor of success as being a college coach.  HC and AC are two very different jobs. Hiring the OC de jour is a complete dice roll and more often than not results in failure.  

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Jim Harbaugh is a ******* a-hole....always has been, always will be.  Let me tell you a little story.....

About 22/23 years ago, I was playing golf on a public 9 hole course here in Indy, a couple of miles down the road from the Colts facility.

I sucked at golf then (I still kinda suck but I've improved a few strokes since then) and sliced a drive into the next fairway.

Didn't yell "fore" - the ball landed a good 150 yards from the group playing that hole coming in the opposite direction - didn't think I needed to, it wasn't anywhere close to anyone.

As I'm walking over to get my ball, I see a dude come screening down that fairway in his golf cart.  I could hear the curses coming from the cart from 100 yards away.  He drives up to my ball, picks it up and throws it at me.  All the while screaming f this, f that, f u a$$hole etc. etc.

I wanted to pound the dude but he was much bigger than me and the guy he was riding with was pushing 300 lbs.

I chirpped back a little but made my way back to my buddies cause I didn't want to get my ass beat.

It was Jim Harbaugh.  Dude is making millions a year and going off the rails psycho on someone playing a 9 hole public course that probably cost $10 to walk that day.

Man... first world problems much?

3 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Harbaugh's NFL experience was a very, very long time ago. Things change very quickly in the NFL. 

His recent work has been dubious, at best. Not all of his failures at Michigan are recruiting related. His choice of coordinators and his in-game planning/playcalling leave much to be desired.

Dick Vermeil was away from the NFL for 14 years after retiring from the Eagles in 1983.  He won a SB with the Rams in 99.  Pete Carroll coached at USC for 10 years before returning to the NFL and then won a SB with Seattle.  This recency bias is BS.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Dick Vermeil was away from the NFL for 14 years after retiring from the Eagles in 1983.  He won a SB with the Rams in 99.  Pete Carroll coached at USC for 10 years before returning to the NFL and then won a SB with Seattle.  This recency bias is BS.

Plus with those 4 magical years spent in SF Harbaugh owns the NFL's 5th highest head coaching winning percentage of All-Time (.695%) along with 4 seasons consisting of 0 losing seasons in you guessed it 4 whole seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Literally its not

I also usually dont care but Im afraid he just may not be made for this market.  

Really? 

I feel like he is perfect. Especially if he is mixed with a nonchalant QB like Trev. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Who exactly fits the description of "someone innovative who has had a high degree of recent success?"  There is no such person.  And don't throw out the  name of some assistant coach who had a good year as a coordinator.  Being a successful coordinator in the NFL is about as much a predictor of success as being a college coach.  HC and AC are two very different jobs. Hiring the OC de jour is a complete dice roll and more often than not results in failure.  

So you can never hire a coordinator, that thins out the list by quite a bit seeing as almost every coach ever started somewhere a as coordinator.

The key is to hire a guy that has a good recent track record and the eyeball test such as a Joe Brady.  Bray was outstanding at LSU, not just game planning but play  calling.  He has moved to the pros and Carolina has overachieve on offense.

As for a college coach a guy like Matt Campbell who similar to rhule has build programs on more tan one occasion.

Harbaugh was good in the nfl 8 years ago and the league has changed alot.  His college teams look progressively worse, despite having a talent and recruiting advantage.  His offenses (which the NFL is all about) in college look old school and bad.  His offense in SF were okay.

I have no problem with people that want the guy I just want to go in a different direction.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So you can never hire a coordinator, that thins out the list by quite a bit seeing as almost every coach ever started somewhere a as coordinator.

The key is to hire a guy that has a good recent track record and the eyeball test such as a Joe Brady.  Bray was outstanding at LSU, not just game planning but play  calling.  He has moved to the pros and Carolina has overachieve on offense.

As for a college coach a guy like Matt Campbell who similar to rhule has build programs on more tan one occasion.

Harbaugh was good in the nfl 8 years ago and the league has changed alot.  His college teams look progressively worse, despite having a talent and recruiting advantage.  His offenses (which the NFL is all about) in college look old school and bad.  His offense in SF were okay.

I have no problem with people that want the guy I just want to go in a different direction.

So I guess people are happy Belichick left the Jets for NE in 2000 because we all know what a dick he is and how much personality he has.  This isn't a popularity contest. The goal is to  win and Harbaugh is the ONLY proven NFL winner among the coaching candidates.  Or the Jets could keep rolling the dice on offensive coordinators, ruin a few more top drafted QBs until they get it right 20-30 years from now. Some coaches win with the personnel they have and some need to be gifted great players. Harbaugh molded mediocre talent into championship teams. That is the sign of a great coach. Harbaugh won with a game manage (Smith) and then with a raw undisciplined running QB (Kaep).  Look at the scores of the playoff games against GB, NO, Balt (in the SB) and tell me he won purely on his defense.  He built teams they way they need to be build - strong OL with good defense and playing to the strengths of his QB.  Can you imagine what those SF teams would have been with a top young QB.  Those on this board that board that don't want him are just nuts.  I don't understand the rationale.  Instead you want a one year coordinator (Brady) or a coordinator who doesn't call plays (Bienemy) or a college coach that never ever coached in the  NFL (Daboll/Campbell).  Please.

This is a crisis, just like in 97. Hess woke up and got Parcells and rescued the franchise. It's that time again. Get the best, most successful proven NFL head coach, not some unproven guy who drew up plays for 20 year olds on teams that were ridiculously talented compared to the competition.  

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So I guess people are happy Belichick left the Jets for NE in 2000 because we all know what a dick he is and how much personality he has.  This isn't a popularity contest. The goal is to  win and Harbaugh is the ONLY proven NFL winner among the coaching candidates.  Or the Jets could keep rolling the dice on offensive coordinators, ruin a few more top drafted QBs until they get it right 20-30 years from now. Some coaches win with the personnel they have and some need to be gifted great players. Harbaugh molded mediocre talent into championship teams. That is the sign of a great coach. Harbaugh won with a game manage (Smith) and then with a raw undisciplined running QB (Kaep).  Look at the scores of the playoff games against GB, NO, Balt (in the SB) and tell me he won purely on his defense.  He built teams they way they need to be build - strong OL with good defense.  Can you imagine what those SF teams would have been with a top young QB.  Those on this board that board that don't want him are just nuts.  I don't understand the rationale.  Instead you want a one year coordinator (Brady) or a coordinator who doesn't call plays (Bienemy) or a college coach that never ever coached in the  NFL (Daboll/Campbell).  Please.

This is a crisis, just like in 97. Hess woke up and got Parcells and rescued the franchise. It's that time again. Get the best, most successful proven NFL head coach, not some unproven guy who drew up plays for 20 year olds on teams that were ridiculously talented compared to the competition.  

You need to reread the post of mine you quoted.

I could care less if the guy is an a$$hole or a loved by all,

I view harbaugh as a good candidate ....7 years ago.

Jeff fisher was a proven winner, john fox was a proven winner.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You need to reread the post of mine you quoted.

I could care less if the guy is an a$$hole or a loved by all,

I view harbaugh as a good candidate ....7 years ago.

Jeff fisher was a proven winner, john fox was a proven winner.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Apologies. That was in response to comments from others about how he is not a players' coach.

There's a lot of twits on this site that enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing. I could honestly care less. No one is going to change your mind about Harbaugh so I could care less about trying. However, you're never changing my mind either and thank God the overwhelming majority, including the Johnson's, think Jim Harbaugh is an excellent HC. IMO, Woody goes after Jim Harbaugh right after firing Gase at season end.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Recruiting 100% 

The best players dont want to go play in cold ass Ann Arbor, It's not a party school either. 

Michigan being a modern era national powerhouse is also a myth. They only have 1 national championship since either of us have been alive, and that was two decades before Harbaugh. The standards the media holds them to is vastly out of tune.

Problems recruiting ??? Hell... They landed Tom Brady !

The article says he ended a playoff drought for a sunk 49ers team, and after 3 or 4 years wore out his welcome. 

Maybe he’s changed since his last NFL stint and losing at Michigan has humbled him. Maybe not. I’d still sign up for 3 or 4 years of an improved, playoff caliber team. 

27 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

not sure he is my top choice but u cant argue he would instantly put some excitement in this franchise whether good or bad. at least  he has some success in the nfl unlike gase.  id take a cardboard cutout of Vince Lombardi over gase at this point

A Lombardi cutout with a word bubble saying "What the hell's going on out here?" would be very appropriate for the 2020 Jets.

• Haha 1

I see niner fans till this day talk about how much they miss Harbaugh and those seasons he had there. Even in present times with the bit of success they’ve had under Shanahan....

Almost like the nostalgia some have here with the Rex days except Harbaugh can actually be an HC in this league......

7 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

As a Director or Golf at a public course who has had to call multiple ambulances for people hit with golf balls, I understand the reaction. While 150 yards sounds like a lot in terms of football it really is not a lot in terms of golf. No reason not to yell fore if your ball is carrying towards another fairway.

That said, I'm not defending Jim, guy needs to chill the F out.