New York Jets' Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

AbstraKt

New York Jets coach Adam Gase was hired nearly two years ago, in large part, to groom quarterback Sam Darnold. On Thursday, Gase admitted for the first time that he's failing.

"I came here to help him, help him develop his career, and we haven't been able to do that," said Gase, who is 7-20 and has presided over the NFL's worst offense for the better part of two seasons.

His comments might seem obvious, considering the team's profound struggles, but they're noteworthy because Gase always has spoken of Darnold's progress in an optimistic fashion. His assessment comes with five games left in the season, at which point the coach likely will be fired.

Sam Darnold's Touchdown Drought

3912547.png&w=120&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=true

Sam Darnold hasn't throw a passing touchdown in his last 142 attempts, the longest active streak in the NFL, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. If Darnold doesn't throw for a TD within his first 8 attempts Sunday, he'll be the only player in the last five seasons to go 150 straight attempts without a touchdown. Nick Foles is the last player to do so (2015).

QB ATT. WITHOUT TD
-- Elias Sports Bureau
Sam Darnold 142
Jacoby Brissett 105
Daniel Jones 68

Gase said he hopes Darnold can finish on an upswing.

"That's why every game is so important," he said. "Keep trying to help him grow, keep trying to help him develop and see things the way he needs to see them, and play the way I've seen him play in certain games."

Gase made it clear he's not blaming Darnold for the historically bad season (0-11), claiming every position has contributed to the problems.

"We need to do things well around him, but at the same time, it's on me to get him to play better than what he's played," Gase said. "I haven't done a good enough job."

Darnold is 0-7 this season (he missed four games with a shoulder injury) and has engineered only six touchdown drives. He's the lowest-rated passer in the NFL, with a career-low 64.0 rating. He has gone four straight games without a touchdown pass, the longest drought for a Jets quarterback since Geno Smith in 2013.

EDITOR'S PICKS

"Yeah, it's frustrating," Gase said of the touchdown drought. "For him personally, I'm sure he's bothered by it, knowing things like that.

"I look at it as we've got to do a better job as a staff. We've got to put these guys in the best position possible, and those guys have to go execute. It's on all of us. We have to find a way to do a better job. We have to find a way to put the ball in the end zone."

Darnold, drafted third overall in 2018, is coming off a two-interception performance against the Miami Dolphins. He hopes to reverse the trend Sunday against the Las Vegas Raiders at MetLife Stadium.

His future is a major question. The Jets likely will have the first or second pick in the 2021 NFL draft, and they could have a choice of Clemson's Trevor Lawrence and Ohio State's Justin Fields, the presumptive top two picks.

If general manager Joe Douglas decides to draft one of them, he will look to trade Darnold, who has one year remaining on his rookie contract. The amount of his fifth-year option for 2022 is expected to be about $25 million, fully guaranteed -- a seemingly prohibitive salary.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30443591/new-york-jets-adam-gase-admits-helped-sam-darnold-develop-nfl-qb

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Adam we would be okay with you not helping Sam.

What you have done is worse, you have hurt him.

Adam Gase is running a grade-school caliber offense that is completely devoid of sophistication because he's hamstrung by an immature quarterback who can't hit the side of a barn.

It's amazing, how fans rushed to call Sanchez a bust and he was 10x the quarterback Darnold is and how they begged for Ryan to stay and Schottenheimer to be shown the door.  Turns out, all Jets fans want is a pretty face or a loveable press conference, just another Mike Piazza or Chad Pennington poster to put on the wall.  Results, nah, that doesn't matter.  Blame the coach when you love the quarterback, blame the quarterback when you love the coach, it never ends.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 5

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I, for one, am SHOCKED and OUTRAGED that Adam Gase has not been able to get Sam Darnold to perform in all of his games, the way he did that one time against a bottom third Green Bay defense two years ago.

* Catches mononucleosis and ruins the 2019 season single-handedly.

* Finishes a promising 6-2 under the very same head coach they're all blaming now.

* Due to pandemic, is quarantined for 3+ months in Jordan Parlmer's House of Quarterbacks.

* Due to pandemic, has an untouched body from no-contact no-games preseason.

* Throws off the wrong foot, runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away, runs out of pocket prematurely, takes a delay of game penalty after a TV timeout, misses wide receivers, doesn't locate uncovered wide receivers.  Oh yeah, that was just Week 1.

* Only positive accomplishment this year is making Joe Flacco look like a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.

Sam Darnold is a bust.  Adam Gase is trying to say the right things but there's no winning with the NY media who have nothing else to write about since MLB, NBA, and the NHL are all dormant.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3

It's hard to pick out one issue here that bothers me most.  First off it is nice to finally see damn accountability at  0-11.  But how come now?  All we've heard for two years is how good Darnold was, how sharp he looked in practice, how he knows the system so much better in year 2.  What did that all mean?  If true it means that Gase has no idea how to run practice so that it gives an actual idea of how one might perform come games against other teams.  That is inexcusable.  If not true than he is a liar who unnecessarily coddles his qb and fan base to give the impression we are all in good hands despite everything his eyes tell him.   That too is inexcusable.  What I'd really appreciate is some kind of explanation why performance at the most important position so badly matches the expectations that have been laid out and what the organization is going to do about it now and moving forward to make it right.   Personally if it was me as coach Sam would be riding the pine because he is killing the morale of this team.   How can anyone be held accountable when it is painfully apparent Same is not being held to any kind of standard.   Of course as a fan of the tank I am okay watching this sh*t show of an offense blow another 5 games.  Better yet maybe I won't watch (I will but there's always hoping).   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

What did that all mean?  If true it means that Gase has no idea how to run practice so that it gives an actual idea of how one might perform come games against other teams.  

Yeah, that... Or, that they said nice things about him to help his confidence.  But, it's probably that the guy that's been at a million practices with numerous different coaches, simply doesn't understand even the basic fundamentals of football.

This is, and has always been, the problem with how Jets fans criticize coaches.  These guys, even the bad ones, know a ton more than any of us about football.  But, the criticisms are always generally require the assumption that the coach has almost certainly never heard of football before.  Honestly, the big attacks on Schotty required the assumption that he generally didn't understand how first downs worked.

Adam Gase may be a bad NFL HC, but he certainly understands football and how to run a practice.  The problem is that Darnold is bad.  And, in this article, like any coach, he's taking a portion of the blame.  He can't, as SAR posted above, say, "Dude sucks, what the **** do you want from me?"

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Results don't lie. The fact remains that Sam has gotten demonstrably worse under the QB whisperer.

This is actually not true.

Look at his advanced stats, which control for opponents.  He's the same player he was every year - botom 3.  He wasn't good his rookie year, overall.  He just finished with a good game against Green Bay.  He was bad his second year, and his performance during the second half was against 5 of the 6 worst defenses in the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Adam we would be okay with you not helping Sam.

What you have done is worse, you have hurt him.

Adam.  I love you so long as you deliver us 0-16

You may not have helped Sam, but that cleared the way for a new QB that has a ceiling about 100 stories above Sam's

Nice work, Mr. Gace.  I will never forget your all important contribution to the future of the NY Jets.

The quality of our next QB is such that it is impossible to overstate your importance... 

• Haha 4

Both Gase and Darnold are to blame ( there's zero win production) and both will be shown the door. Darnold will be let go because we'll probably draft another QB but Gase should be let go for not doing the one thing he was hired to do and that was to develop Sam.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but here goes:

Gase didn't and hasn't got the best out of Darnold. What do i mean? Well, do you honestly think that a Mcvay, Shanahan, Lafleur, Kingsbury wouldn't have been able to mold Darnold into someone who we can call a starting NFL QB?

Of course. why? they simplify the game for their QB's. I invite you to listen to what Steve Young said last week on Michael Kay and you will conclude that Gase hasn't done his job because simply put, he isn't coaching to where the NFL is going, he's coaching in the Past.

‎The Michael Kay Show: Steve Young: 11/30/20 on Apple Podcasts

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Both Gase and Darnold are to blame ( there's zero win production) and both will be shown the door.

Correct. 

It's always hard to assign different levels of blame to different people on a football as bad as this one is. The coach and the QB both deserve plenty of blame for this mess and both won't be here next year. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I knew when they hired Gase that he would not be a winner. THIS was the only hope I had, that Gase could groom Darnold so another coach could lead them to the promised land.

The only thing I wanted Gase to do as a HC here, and he has failed miserably at it. He had ONE JOB...

This 100%

Indeed, Sam is worse than he was as a ROOKIE and that speaks volumes IMO...... :( 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

Results don't lie. The fact remains that Sam has gotten demonstrably worse under the QB whisperer.

No, Sam has gotten demonstrably worse under Jordan Palmer, a personal quarterback coach who worked wonders for Josh Allen and who had the exact same training regimen during a global pandemic.  3+ months of quarterback coaching by one of the best in the business.  No broads, no booze.  Just football.  And Darnold looked like sh-t in Buffalo and hasn't shown any improvement.

Same playbook.  Same coaches.  Same same same.  And Darnold sucks.  He's a bust.  That's that.

Sam is in his 3rd season.  As a reminder, by the time the 'awful' Mark Sanchez was in his 3rd season he looked much better than this kid not to mention 5 fourth quarter comebacks and 4 road playoff wins.  Sam's regression is on Sam.  He's making the same mistakes he made in junior high school.  At some point its not about the coaching, it's about the player.

Oh, and Mekhi Becton and Denzel Mims look fantastic.  If you're giving the stench of Darnold's regression to Gase, let me hear the heaps of praise for Gase's development of younglings Becton and Mims.  Do it now.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

This is actually not true.

Look at his advanced stats, which control for opponents.  He's the same player he was every year - botom 3.  He wasn't good his rookie year, overall.  He just finished with a good game against Green Bay.  He was bad his second year, and his performance during the second half was against 5 of the 6 worst defenses in the league.

Mark Sanchez winning 4 road playoff games, having a stretch where he went 16-4, and having 5 clutch 4th quarter comebacks and the SOJF's proclaim "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!  GET RID OF HIM!"

Sam Darnold winning 1 game against Green Bay then having the worst stretch any starting quarterback of the Jets ever had and the SOJF's proclaim "THE HEAD COACH RUINED HIM!  GET RID OF THE HEAD COACH!"

The Eeyore's.  They so funny.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I hope he's not expecting to get another NFL job. You can't go 0-16 with the worst offense ever and admit to not helping develop your young QB and think you'll still be in the league.

If he isn’t fired on Black Monday, I’ll get into women’s field hockey or something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I hope he's not expecting to get another NFL job. You can't go 0-16 with the worst offense ever and admit to not helping develop your young QB and think you'll still be in the league.

Adam Gase is showing Trevor Lawrence that he's the type of head coach who will accept the blame and not throw his quarterback under the bus even when his quarterback sucks. 

Me likey.

Lawrence isn't stupid.  He sees how bad Darnold is.  Gase is saying all the right things.

SAR I

• Haha 2