New York Jets' Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

AbstraKt

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, Sam has gotten demonstrably worse under Jordan Palmer, a personal quarterback coach who worked wonders for Josh Allen and who had the exact same training regimen during a global pandemic.  3+ months of quarterback coaching by one of the best in the business.  No broads, no booze.  Just football.  And Darnold looked like sh-t in Buffalo and hasn't shown any improvement.

Same playbook.  Same coaches.  Same same same.  And Darnold sucks.  He's a bust.  That's that.

Sam is in his 3rd season.  As a reminder, by the time the 'awful' Mark Sanchez was in his 3rd season he looked much better than this kid not to mention 5 fourth quarter comebacks and 4 road playoff wins.  Sam's regression is on Sam.  He's making the same mistakes he made in junior high school.  At some point its not about the coaching, it's about the player.

Oh, and Mekhi Becton and Denzel Mims look fantastic.  If you're giving the stench of Darnold's regression to Gase, let me hear the heaps of praise for Gase's development of younglings Becton and Mims.  Do it now.

SAR I

Hmmmmm strange how Palmer working with Josh Allen hasn't appeared to stunt him when coupled with competent coaching but other than that I like your POST!! :)  

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

"I can't do sh*t for Sam because the kid sucks."

--Adam Gase (if coaches were allowed to speak the truth)

He's so bad that maybe a dozen teams could be interested in him?  And that "Despite Darnold’s struggles, the former No. 3 overall pick is still held in high regard around the league"?

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm strange how Palmer working with Josh Allen hasn't appeared to stunt him when coupled with competent coaching but other than that I like your POST!! :)  

That's my point!

If Palmer's daily program led to Josh Allen growth and didn't lead to Sam Darnold growth, that's your proof.  That's your objective apples-to-apples comparison without either quarterback's own coaches in the mix to muddy the waters.  100 consecutive days in quarantine, 100 consecutive days with Allen and Darnold watching the same film, running the same drills, no preseason games, no contact, and a few weeks later one looks great and the other looks like ass in Orchard Park.  Neither the Jets nor Bills coaches could in a fraction of time undo what Jordan Palmer did.

Darnold is El Busto.  Pains me to say it.  But its true.  We need to get Gase and Douglas their own quarterback, see what they can do.  I hear that Lawrence is tailor-made for Gase's system.  Will be exciting to see.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That's my point!

If Palmer's daily program led to Josh Allen growth and didn't lead to Sam Darnold growth, that's your proof.  That's your objective apples-to-apples comparison without either quarterback's own coaches in the mix to muddy the waters.  100 consecutive days in quarantine, 100 consecutive days with Allen and Darnold watching the same film, running the same drills, and a few weeks later one looks great and the other looks like ass.  Neither the Jets nor Bills coaches could in a fraction of time undo what Jordan Palmer did.

Darnold is El Busto.  Pains me to say it.  But its true.  We need to get Gase and Douglas their own quarterback, see what they can do.  I hear that Lawrence is tailor-made for Gase's system.  Will be exciting to see.

SAR I

Yes, because "other things equal".  The Bills HC isn't worlds better than the fraud we have roaming the sidelines.  And the weapons and OL that Josh Allen has is the same as what Sam has!  

Got it!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's so bad that maybe a dozen teams could be interested in him?  And that "Despite Darnold’s struggles, the former No. 3 overall pick is still held in high regard around the league"?

Smells just like Sam Darnold's agent planting a story to me.

I mean, who could look at the film and say that Sam Darnold is an NFL quarterback?  He misses more open receivers than he hits.  He loses more uncovered receivers than he finds.  He scrambles away from clean pockets with happy feet on every down.  He throws some of the worst INT's we have ever seen.

Everyone pities the cute young redhead who is so polite and so friendly.  Everyone assassinates the old balding bug-eye who is so ornery and condescending.  The media has nothing to write about with no hockey, no basketball, no baseball.  It's Adam Gase Hunting Season.  Enjoy the day.  Gase will still be your head coach in March.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

Just now, SAR I said:

I mean, who could look at the film and say that Sam Darnold is an NFL quarterback?  He misses more open receivers than he hits.  He loses more uncovered receivers than he finds.  He scrambles away from clean pockets with happy feet on every down.  He throws some of the worst INT's we have ever seen.

Everyone pities the cute young redhead who is so polite and so friendly.  Everyone assassinates the old balding bug-eye who is so ornery and condescending.  The media has nothing to write about with no hockey, no basketball, no baseball.  It's Adam Gase Hunting Season.  Enjoy the day.  Gase will still be your head coach in March.

SAR I

1e2987f57462422ab3c2329f79394383.jpg.8410165fda54c1e11c9feb6856b4a85c.jpg

Different place but yet same disgusting miserable looking face (he's a loser). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Well, time will tell on this one.  And I'll make a prediction that the "old balding bug-eye who is so ornery and condescending" is going to get sh*t-canned right after the season (and won't be an NFL HC ever again) while the QB that "everyone pities" will be on an NFL roster (likely as a starter) next year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes, because "other things equal".  The Bills HC isn't worlds better than the fraud we have roaming the sidelines.  And the weapons and OL that Josh Allen has is the same as what Sam has!  

Got it!

Swap Gase and McDermott and the result is the same.

Buffalo drafted the right quarterback, we didn't.  Buffalo got rid of their awful GM in 2017, we didn't.  That's the difference between the two teams.  Buffalo's roster is what we hope ours to look like in 2022.  The head coaching has nothing to do with it.

SAR I

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Swap Gase and McDermott and the result is the same.

Buffalo drafted the right quarterback, we didn't.  Buffalo got rid of their awful GM in 2017, we didn't.  That's the difference between the two teams.  Buffalo's roster is what we hope ours to look like in 2022.  The head coaching has nothing to do with it.

SAR I

I wish the Bills would hire Gase but let's be real here.  After this season, Adam Gase will never be an NFL HC again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'd say people turned on Darnold faster than Sanchez, as far as moving on from him.  Late in year 3, there were only a few of us who saw the writing on the wall with Sanchez.  At this point, very few people think Darnold is an NFL QB.

The fact is, they are both very bad QBs.  Sanchez was a bad QB on a good team.  Darnold was a bad QB on a bad team.

Both need(ed) to go.  I don't really get why Sanchez matters anymore, except maybe as a cautionary tale of keeping a guy around too long.

Good post.  I never wanted to admit Darnold was a bust, but facts are facts unfortunately.

The only reason I bring Sanchez into this is as an example of how biased and unfair this fanbase can be.  They play favorites.  They aren't objective.  They still think Testaverde is a great quarterback despite his one-hit-wonder season followed by some of the biggest chokes and blown seasons in franchise history.  They still have Pennington posters in their bedrooms despite the fact that the guy couldn't stay healthy, padded his stats, and played small in the big games.  They still stand behind Darnold who has had the worst 3 years any Jets quarterback has ever had and spit on Sanchez who did nothing but excel in the face of an undermining head coach and a flawed offensive roster.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some dude says maybe a dozen teams could be interested and this is what you're hanging your hat on.

• Upvote 1

I just love how an employee (Gase) can just admit that he is horrible at his job, and still be able to collect on his guaranteed contract for the next year or two.  

Every day that he remains the head coach is another bad day for the Jets organization.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Good post.  I never wanted to admit Darnold was a bust, but facts are facts unfortunately.

The only reason I bring Sanchez into this is as an example of how biased and unfair this fanbase can be.  They play favorites.  They aren't objective.  They still think Testaverde is a great quarterback despite his one-hit-wonder season followed by some of the biggest chokes and blown seasons in franchise history.  They still have Pennington posters in their bedrooms despite the fact that the guy couldn't stay healthy, padded his stats, and played small in the big games.  They still stand behind Darnold who has had the worst 3 years any Jets quarterback has ever had and spit on Sanchez who did nothing but excel in the face of an undermining head coach and a flawed offensive roster.

SAR I

People are dumb.  Film at 11PM.

I do think it's clear you overvalue Sanchez, but that's a carnival ride I'm not willing to get on right now.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Adam we would be okay with you not helping Sam.

What you have done is worse, you have hurt him.

TRUTH!!!!

and we shouldnt be ok with just not hurting him..its the lowest bar you can have. At some point we have to start expecting more and people not meeting the expectation need to be fired. There is no excuse giving this guys seasons...i mean it was obvious from day one that he was hurting the Sam, hell the whole damn team.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Adam Gase has only been in the league for 5 years but yet already has 4 losing seasons. 

He's also 7-20 as a Jets head coach (.259%) and quickly approaching Kotite status for the worst Jets coach of All-Time and 0-16 will seal the deal. 

Counterpoint; Gase has been failing in the league for a lot longer than 5 years. He's only been failing as a head coach for 5 years. His only success has been when he was getting coffee for Peyton Manning

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Darnold has not been able to stay healthy and unless Gase does not allow him to change plays at the line of scrimmage still cannot read an NFL defense and get guys in the right place to avoid the blitz.

Gase is just flat out a bad coach and should never be allowed to coach in the NFL again.

QB whisperer my @ss. More like a QB killer

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

That's my point!

If Palmer's daily program led to Josh Allen growth and didn't lead to Sam Darnold growth, that's your proof.  That's your objective apples-to-apples comparison without either quarterback's own coaches in the mix to muddy the waters.  100 consecutive days in quarantine, 100 consecutive days with Allen and Darnold watching the same film, running the same drills, no preseason games, no contact, and a few weeks later one looks great and the other looks like ass in Orchard Park.  Neither the Jets nor Bills coaches could in a fraction of time undo what Jordan Palmer did.

SAR I

Alas my friend you and I have a fundamental disagreement as to Gase being a competent HC!

I would like to simply look to the lack of proper utilization and and player scheme and design.

For example, Gase refuses to use pre-snap movement which helps QBs glean defensive alignments and potential offensive mismatches. Yet Gase refuses to use it.

Twelve years ago this was a fine strategy but as defenses have developed and changed pre-snap movement is almost always a necessity. Now practically 90% of the NFL uses pre-snap movement to help their team's offense and QB.

Also key is not letting your QB change plays or potential  OL alignments at the line is preposterous and even Bates didn't stick to this nonsense.

How much this has impacted Darnold is indeed debatable, but  what isn't debatable is that moves like this don't help the QB and their development in today's NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Darnold has not been able to stay healthy and unless Gase does not allow him to change plays at the line of scrimmage still cannot read an NFL defense and get guys in the right place to avoid the blitz.

Gase is just flat out a bad coach and should never be allowed to coach in the NFL again.

QB whisperer my @ss. More like a QB killer

Thank you!

Dude I just made a post on this same point!

How anyone can defend Gase with these basic realties is beyond me!

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Adam.  I love you so long as you deliver us 0-16

You may not have helped Sam, but that cleared the way for a new QB that has a ceiling about 100 stories above Sam's

Nice work, Mr. Gace.  I will never forget your all important contribution to the future of the NY Jets.

The quality of our next QB is such that it is impossible to overstate your importance... 

Rid us of Macc.  Might just deliver the # 1 pick.  That will be Adam Gase's legacy.

Build the statue now.  

• Haha 2