New York Jets' Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

AbstraKt

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

6-2 fooled everyone?!  We played a cupcake schedule that included a week 17 game against a team that didn't even try.  And there were plenty of people who wanted Gase fired after last season. 

6-2 led many to believe that Sam Darnold was a franchise quarterback and one who had taken good next-steps towards a successful 2020.  The Jets included.  If they didn't, they would have made a change.

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Though if what you're saying about Sam is true (that he's not smart enough to call pre-snap movements), then you should be criticizing Gase for not being able to figure that out last year.

Or the Jets, knowing that they were facing a multi-year rebuild anyway and knowing that no fans were going to be in the stands, decided that it was the smart move to give Sam the first half of the 2020 season with another year in the same playbook, 3 months of personal tutoring with Jordan Palmer, a rebuilt OL, and some shiny new weapons to see if he was actually the franchise quarterback they hoped. 

When it was clear that he wasn't, they pivoted to Plan B and went full fire-sale eschewing a few meaningless wins for a reload of cap space and draft picks and a great shot at Trevor Lawrence.  Sitting there at 0-4, that was absolutely the right decision.  I support it.  You should too.

SAR I

36 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Well it's very easy to pick and choose stats, but anyone that thinks that Sam isn't worse under Gase is delusional. End of story.

I'm not picking and choosing stats.  I'm saying to actually look at them.  They show a bad QB every season.

Delusional is thinking Sam was anything other than terrible as a rookie.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

6-2 led many to believe that Sam Darnold was a franchise quarterback and one who had taken good next-steps towards a successful 2020.  The Jets included.  If they didn't, they would have made a change.

Or the Jets, knowing that they were facing a multi-year rebuild anyway and knowing that no fans were going to be in the stands, decided that it was the smart move to give Sam the first half of the 2020 season with another year in the same playbook, 3 months of personal tutoring with Jordan Palmer, a rebuilt OL, and some shiny new weapons to see if he was actually the franchise quarterback they hoped. 

When it was clear that he wasn't, they pivoted to Plan B and went full fire-sale eschewing a few meaningless wins for a reload of cap space and draft picks and a great shot at Trevor Lawrence.  Sitting there at 0-4, that was absolutely the right decision.  I support it.  You should too.

SAR I

I love the delusion in paragraph 2.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The guy who played at USC was a top QB prospect. Anyone who now says otherwise is kidding themselves.

The Jets had the golden opportunity to set themselves up with a QB and ruined him

According to some, he sucked there and he sucks here. To me, he was a wild card. He looked better under Bowles and that is quite damning to Gase.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm not picking and choosing stats.  I'm saying to actually look at them.  They show a bad QB every season.

Delusional is thinking Sam was anything other than terrible as a rookie.

He wasn't good as a rookie, but he's worse now. YOU look.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I love the delusion in paragraph 2.

What, you find it hard to believe that at 0-6 or 0-7 with Sam Darnold injured and busted and no prayer of a respectable season that smart football people decided to tank for Trevor?

At some point the Jets leadership made the collective decision that Sam Darnold ain't the guy and they threw a grenade to the 2020 season.  No pretend "news" coming out of Florham Park about Gase's wordplay changes that.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

I'm not saying he was a good QB here or there. Whatever he was before Gase, he got worse, that's clear. That's all.

Gase absolutely worsened him.  We all watched it.  If Gase is here next year, whoever we pick at #1 or 2 will not be developed for NFL in any way.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

He wasn't good as a rookie, but he's worse now. YOU look.

this is correct.  On most other teams he would have improved. But under the control of moron #1, Bowles, and moron #2, Gase, combined with terrible personnel management by the entire franchise, Darnold never had a chance.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez winning 4 road playoff games, having a stretch where he went 16-4, and having 5 clutch 4th quarter comebacks and the SOJF's proclaim "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!  GET RID OF HIM!"

Sam Darnold winning 1 game against Green Bay then having the worst stretch any starting quarterback of the Jets ever had and the SOJF's proclaim "THE HEAD COACH RUINED HIM!  GET RID OF THE HEAD COACH!"

The Eeyore's.  They so funny.

SAR I

You’re such a ******* troll. Don’t think I (any many others here) don’t remember your weekly post on Jets Insider about those comebacks ( ironically enough) you’re now referring to. You remember-The Lions, The Browns, The Texans. Remember???? The Jets and Sanchez were lucky- not good. And now- you’re trying to draw the comparison to that very stretch along with Sanchez and the playoff run that was more about the defense. ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

According to some, he sucked there and he sucks here. To me, he was a wild card. He looked better under Bowles and that is quite damning to Gase.

Not saying Todd McShay is the end all in these matters but he was saying that he gave Lawrence a grade of 97 the highest since his 99 grade for Luck.  As reference they put up Darnold picture with a grade of 95 and Burrow with a 94.  I could care less how right or wrong or far off he was but just saying, he wasnt some scrub coming out of school.  Players dont develop because they dont make the next steps, they arent coached and developed or given hes only 23 years old, hes not fully cooked yet.  I dont think its over for Sam, just over as a Jet

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

this is correct.  On most other teams he would have improved. But under the control of moron #1, Bowles, and moron #2, Gase, combined with terrible personnel management by the entire franchise, Darnold never had a chance.

I mean, the crux of this argument is, “but, feelings,” but if it’s the one you want to go with... by all means.

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

What a disaster. I don’t know if there will ever be a 2 season stretch this miserable ever again. The only upside is that Gase is so bad he may land us Lawrence

It’s amazing. Our expectations for Gase was already low and he somehow managed to exceed them and by a wide-margin. 

Could you imagine if I told you after the 2017 season that in two years the Jets would be trending towards 0-16 and Sam Darnold would be on the chopping block?

The kid looked promising as a rookie. Far better than Sanchez or Geno Smith. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Is it not conceivable that Darnold isn't smart enough and the offense isn't skilled enough to run pre-snap movements and other sophistications found in elite NFL offenses?  Is it not conceivable that due to his tendencies to make bad reads and throw interceptions that Darnold isn't trusted with changing plays?

SAR I

This would be fine if Gase hadn't been FIRED in Miami for the very same things that are happening here with the Jets....

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

"I can't do sh*t for Sam because the kid sucks."

--Adam Gase (if coaches were allowed to speak the truth)

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase is running a grade-school caliber offense that is completely devoid of sophistication because he's hamstrung by an immature quarterback who can't hit the side of a barn.

It's amazing, how fans rushed to call Sanchez a bust and he was 10x the quarterback Darnold is and how they begged for Ryan to stay and Schottenheimer to be shown the door.  Turns out, all Jets fans want is a pretty face or a loveable press conference, just another Mike Piazza or Chad Pennington poster to put on the wall.  Results, nah, that doesn't matter.  Blame the coach when you love the quarterback, blame the quarterback when you love the coach, it never ends.

SAR I

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

* Catches mononucleosis and ruins the 2019 season single-handedly.

* Finishes a promising 6-2 under the very same head coach they're all blaming now.

* Due to pandemic, is quarantined for 3+ months in Jordan Parlmer's House of Quarterbacks.

* Due to pandemic, has an untouched body from no-contact no-games preseason.

* Throws off the wrong foot, runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away, runs out of pocket prematurely, takes a delay of game penalty after a TV timeout, misses wide receivers, doesn't locate uncovered wide receivers.  Oh yeah, that was just Week 1.

* Only positive accomplishment this year is making Joe Flacco look like a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.

Sam Darnold is a bust.  Adam Gase is trying to say the right things but there's no winning with the NY media who have nothing else to write about since MLB, NBA, and the NHL are all dormant.

SAR I

My Challenge Stands.

When Gase is fired the week after the season, you take a 1 year Vacation from the board.

If Gase is still HC of the NYJ in February 2021, I leave the Board FOREVER. 

Put up or shut up, troll 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

* Catches mononucleosis and ruins the 2019 season single-handedly.

* Finishes a promising 6-2 under the very same head coach they're all blaming now.

* Due to pandemic, is quarantined for 3+ months in Jordan Parlmer's House of Quarterbacks.

* Due to pandemic, has an untouched body from no-contact no-games preseason.

* Throws off the wrong foot, runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away, runs out of pocket prematurely, takes a delay of game penalty after a TV timeout, misses wide receivers, doesn't locate uncovered wide receivers.  Oh yeah, that was just Week 1.

* Only positive accomplishment this year is making Joe Flacco look like a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.

Sam Darnold is a bust.  Adam Gase is trying to say the right things but there's no winning with the NY media who have nothing else to write about since MLB, NBA, and the NHL are all dormant.

SAR I

I read this quick, but are you actually blaming the pandemic on Darnold here?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

"I can't do sh*t for Sam because the kid sucks."

--Adam Gase (if coaches were allowed to speak the truth)

He for damn sure didn’t think that two years ago. Yeah, now that “ QB wHisperer” (LOLLLLLLLLL) Gase got his hooks into him, and “coached” (LOLLLLLLL) , he sucks. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

What, you find it hard to believe that at 0-6 or 0-7 with Sam Darnold injured and busted and no prayer of a respectable season that smart football people decided to tank for Trevor?

At some point the Jets leadership made the collective decision that Sam Darnold ain't the guy and they threw a grenade to the 2020 season.  No pretend "news" coming out of Florham Park about Gase's wordplay changes that.

SAR I

Quit your crying 

Black Monday is close and if you love Adam gase so much you can be a fan of the high school he will coach next year 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AbstraKt said:

hat he's failing.

"I came here to help him, help him develop his career, and we haven't been able to do that," said Gase, who is 7-20 and has presided over the NFL's worst offense for the better part of two seasons.

I love the Freudian switch from first person singular “I came here to help him” but how he switches to WE when it’s failure being discussed 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's amazing, how fans rushed to call Sanchez a bust and he was 10x the quarterback Darnold is and how they begged for Ryan to stay a

LOL I got at least 50 butt fumbles that time I said darnold’s motions reminded me of Sanchez 

• Upvote 1