New York Jets' Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

AbstraKt

7 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I knew when they hired Gase that he would not be a winner. THIS was the only hope I had, that Gase could groom Darnold so another coach could lead them to the promised land.

The only thing I wanted Gase to do as a HC here, and he has failed miserably at it. He had ONE JOB...

Bingo!

I knew hiring Gase would be a train wreck....not the kind of train wreck that leads to a 0-16 season, but I thought he would at least keep the seat warm for the next coach and bring Darnold along a little bit. Sam takes plenty of blame but Adam Gase has done him no favors ??‍♂️

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This only goes for coaches right, definitely not the player himself?

Players to do thier job? Absolutely. If players don't perform they need to be held accountable and lower drafted undrafted types who out perform them need to be played for sure. It should go with out saying. Just don't knock a guy for running what he is asked to.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase is running a grade-school caliber offense that is completely devoid of sophistication because he's hamstrung by an immature quarterback who can't hit the side of a barn.

It's amazing, how fans rushed to call Sanchez a bust and he was 10x the quarterback Darnold is and how they begged for Ryan to stay and Schottenheimer to be shown the door.  Turns out, all Jets fans want is a pretty face or a loveable press conference, just another Mike Piazza or Chad Pennington poster to put on the wall.  Results, nah, that doesn't matter.  Blame the coach when you love the quarterback, blame the quarterback when you love the coach, it never ends.

SAR I

Does anyone have any duct tape ???

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase is running a grade-school caliber offense that is completely devoid of sophistication because he's hamstrung by an immature quarterback who can't hit the side of a barn.

It's amazing, how fans rushed to call Sanchez a bust and he was 10x the quarterback Darnold is and how they begged for Ryan to stay and Schottenheimer to be shown the door.  Turns out, all Jets fans want is a pretty face or a loveable press conference, just another Mike Piazza or Chad Pennington poster to put on the wall.  Results, nah, that doesn't matter.  Blame the coach when you love the quarterback, blame the quarterback when you love the coach, it never ends.

SAR I

What was his excuse the rest of his career

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

* Catches mononucleosis and ruins the 2019 season single-handedly.

* Finishes a promising 6-2 under the very same head coach they're all blaming now.

* Due to pandemic, is quarantined for 3+ months in Jordan Parlmer's House of Quarterbacks.

* Due to pandemic, has an untouched body from no-contact no-games preseason.

* Throws off the wrong foot, runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away, runs out of pocket prematurely, takes a delay of game penalty after a TV timeout, misses wide receivers, doesn't locate uncovered wide receivers.  Oh yeah, that was just Week 1.

* Only positive accomplishment this year is making Joe Flacco look like a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.

Sam Darnold is a bust.  Adam Gase is trying to say the right things but there's no winning with the NY media who have nothing else to write about since MLB, NBA, and the NHL are all dormant.

SAR I

Adam Gase is running the worst O in the history of the league. Sam is not the worst QB in the history of the league so that is all on your boy Gase

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sure 

I mean, with hindsight and by playing Madden '19, sure, this would be a reasonable thing to suggest we could/should have done.  Except that this was a team devoid of talent and thus Douglas needed to ADD picks, not give them up. 

Giving up a substantial package of picks to move up for a QB was not remotely possible.  Not when you have a former # 3 pick in Year 3 of his rookie deal.  Even if Douglas knew even then that Darnold definitely wasn't the guy, there's no way he could have done this at the time.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This is actually not true.

Look at his advanced stats, which control for opponents.  He's the same player he was every year - botom 3.  He wasn't good his rookie year, overall.  He just finished with a good game against Green Bay.  He was bad his second year, and his performance during the second half was against 5 of the 6 worst defenses in the league.

Yeah but a certain poster here thinks a certain HC deserves credit for that. Glad.someone else said it.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez winning 4 road playoff games, having a stretch where he went 16-4, and having 5 clutch 4th quarter comebacks and the SOJF's proclaim "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!  GET RID OF HIM!"

Sam Darnold winning 1 game against Green Bay then having the worst stretch any starting quarterback of the Jets ever had and the SOJF's proclaim "THE HEAD COACH RUINED HIM!  GET RID OF THE HEAD COACH!"

The Eeyore's.  They so funny.

SAR I

This is hysterical . Do us all a favor. Stop bringing up the QB who is best known.for the butt fumble 

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, the crux of this argument is, “but, feelings,” but if it’s the one you want to go with... by all means.

Feelings?  

I feel that Bowles did nothing to push his offensive staff to develop Darnold.  I also feel that Gase did nothing to support or improve Sam.  In fact it's more than a feeling (*Boston).  It's a fact.  Fact?  Yes, fact.  Gase said so himself today.  So with Bowles it's a feeling, and you're right, I'll go with it.  With Gase it's a fact. 

Darnold was slowly coming along in year one.  Gase sent him spiraling downward. He's worse now than he was at the beginning. Feeling, I guess.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Feelings?  

I feel that Bowles did nothing to push his offensive staff to develop Darnold.  I also feel that Gase did nothing to support or improve Sam.  In fact it's more than a feeling (*Boston).  It's a fact.  Fact?  Yes, fact.  Gase said so himself today.  So with Bowles it's a feeling, and you're right, I'll go with it.  With Gase it's a fact. 

Darnold was slowly coming along in year one.  Gase sent him spiraling downward. He's worse now than he was at the beginning. Feeling, I guess.  

I see no facts in this post.  

Here's a couple facts: 

• In his rookie year, Darnold averaged 6.9 yards per attempt.
  • In 2019, he averaged 6.9 yards per attempt.

And a few more:

• From 2018 to 2019, Darnold improved in the following statistics:  Completion %, yardage, TD:INT ratio, INT %, and W-L record.

But sure.  Gase death spiral and what-not.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, with hindsight and by playing Madden '19, sure, this would be a reasonable thing to suggest we could/should have done.  Except that this was a team devoid of talent and thus Douglas needed to ADD picks, not give them up. 

Giving up a substantial package of picks to move up for a QB was not remotely possible.  Not when you have a former # 3 pick in Year 3 of his rookie deal.  Even if Douglas knew even then that Darnold definitely wasn't the guy, there's no way he could have done this at the time.

We prob could’ve traded Sam for that pick 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This is actually not true.

Look at his advanced stats, which control for opponents.  He's the same player he was every year - botom 3.  He wasn't good his rookie year, overall.  He just finished with a good game against Green Bay.  He was bad his second year, and his performance during the second half was against 5 of the 6 worst defenses in the league.

Don’t need to look at stats when I watched him play every game.  Stats are interesting when you don’t the time or resources to pay attention.

Sam it’s clearly and demonstrably worse.

His footwork, his accuracy and most importantly his confidence are all far below what he was in his rookie year.

Seriously, go back and watch.....he’s unrecognizable.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Don’t need to look at stats when I watched him play every game.  Stats are interesting when you don’t the time or resources to pay attention.

Sam it’s clearly and demonstrably worse.

His footwork, his accuracy and most importantly his confidence are all far below what he was in his rookie year.

Seriously, go back and watch.....he’s unrecognizable.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with you... He was much better, even though he wasn't quite ready yet when he was under McCown as his mentor.

14 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with you... He was much better, even though he wasn't quite ready yet when he was under McCown as his mentor.

Yes....agreed. He wasn't ready yet - but there was real potential there - you saw what he could be.

Right now he looks downright awful basically a dead man walking.  

I hope he gets a shot somewhere else.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Who would hire Gase off this? He had one task; make Darnold a real NFL QB. He failed, miserably. Truism  is you cannot make chicken salad out of  chicken sheet, but you can add more chicken sheet to the recipe which is basically what has happened here. 

The Johnsons hired this guy because he fetched Peyton Manning coffee and towels. Offensive genius, I tell you! If you see him for 5 minutes, no sensible person would put him in any leadership position. Appears he calls his plays, and... that's about it. No sense of the ebb and flow of the game, no idea how to minimize you liabilities nor how to max out mismatches in your favor. Didn't understand the hire then, still don't understand the Johnson MO for 2 decades. Whom ever they spoke to last(Polian, Casserly, Manning)  when it comes to a coach, they hire. And talk a whole bunch about toughness, you got the job. 

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This would be fine if Gase hadn't been FIRED in Miami for the very same things that are happening here with the Jets....

When a head coach is fired they say all sorts of things.  Gase is an Alpha and he clearly did not get along with the Dolphins owner who was trying to be their Alpha at that time.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets Fans: Adam Gase never takes responsibility!

<Adam Gase takes responsibility>

Jets Fans: Aha he admitted it! what a looser!

The engineers who overloaded the Chernobyl reactor wouldn't have made the disaster any less a catastrophe by owning it.

Saying "I fvkced up" doesn't change anything. 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I read this quick, but are you actually blaming the pandemic on Darnold here?

No, quite the opposite.

I'm saying that the pandemic created a situation where Darnold spent 3+ months locked up with Jordan Palmer with no broads, no booze, nothing but football 24/7.  And that the pandemic created a situation where he spent the least amount of time possible with Gase and the Jets coaching staff due to the truncated camp.  And that the pandemic was good for Darnold's fragile body as he took no hits, no blows, no contact at all as there weren't any preseason games either.

Same playbook, limited contact with Jets coaches, tons of time with his own personal mentor, no battered body, Sam should have come out on fire in Buffalo and instead he showed exactly who he is and who is to blame for his lousy play-  himself.

SAR I

11 hours ago, Xtina said:

He for damn sure didn’t think that two years ago. Yeah, now that “ QB wHisperer” (LOLLLLLLLLL) Gase got his hooks into him, and “coached” (LOLLLLLLL) , he sucks. 

r690239_1296x1296_1-1.jpg&w=570&h=570&fo

Not sure who that bum is on the right, but the guy on the left is Jordan Palmer, acknowledged to be one of the finest quarterback minds and player developers in the United States.  Sam spend 100 days in quarantine with this guy, side by side with Josh Allen.  No broads, no booze, nothing but football.  And Sam looked like a disaster in Buffalo and things have only gotten worse.

Blame the right guy-  Darnold, Sam.

SAR I

11 hours ago, fusionCA said:

Quit your crying 

Black Monday is close and if you love Adam gase so much you can be a fan of the high school he will coach next year 

I don't love Adam Gase at all.  I don't know if he's a great offensive mind.

What I do know is that he's handling himself and this terrible situation brilliantly and his players are playing very hard for him, means there's likely something good there that we shouldn't get rid of simply because a bunch of foolishly entitled Mets fans think they should.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

r690239_1296x1296_1-1.jpg&w=570&h=570&fo

Not sure who that bum is on the right, but the guy on the left is Jordan Palmer, acknowledged to be one of the finest quarterback minds and player developers in the United States.  Sam spend 100 days in quarantine with this guy, side by side with Josh Allen.  No broads, no booze, nothing but football.  And Sam looked like a disaster in Buffalo and things have only gotten worse.

Blame the right guy-  Darnold, Sam.

SAR I

Because Sam's OL/Weapons/HC are every bit as good as Patrick Mahomes' OL/weapons /HC?

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Adam Gase is running the worst O in the history of the league. Sam is not the worst QB in the history of the league so that is all on your boy Gase

Name another Jets quarterback who was this epically bad for 3 consecutive seasons as a starter.

Hint:  You can't.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't love Adam Gase at all.  I don't know if he's a great offensive mind.

What I do know is that he's handling himself and this terrible situation brilliantly and his players are playing very hard for him, means there's likely something good there that we shouldn't get rid of simply because a bunch of foolishly entitled Mets fans think they should.

SAR I

Congrats!  You almost got through 24 hours without bringing the Mets up, unprovoked! 

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is hysterical . Do us all a favor. Stop bringing up the QB who is best known.for the butt fumble 

It's quite appropriate now.  All the geniuses who swore it would be soooooo easy to replace Mark Sanchez now have to answer for Sonny, Carlo.  Again.  Just like they have since the day they forced the Jets to get rid of him.

Greg McElroy
Geno Smith
Michael Vick
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Bryce Petty
Christian Hackenberg
Josh McCown
Sam Darnold

What a collection of talent.  Choosing Rex Ryan over Brian Schottenheimer, Mike Tannenbaum, and Mark Sanchez is what put us in this situation today, and it's fans like you that forced our owners to do it.  Merry Christmas.

SAR I