Tom Herman

BCJet

So I follow college football but definitely enough to know a whole lot about Tom Herman other then hes been a good offensive mind for his whole career, as an OC at Iowa State and Ohio State as a HC at Houston.  He is likely out as the Texas HC, and while he "underperformed", there are absurd expectations at Texas and a fickle booster group.  Its also a place where both coaches since Mack Brown left kinda got knocked off course (Charlie Strong).

So my question is - is this guy a good coach, who was in a bad spot and who could be a fit here.

Although he coached at Houston and Texas, hes not a southern guy as he grew up in Ohio.  He worked under Urban Meyer and wouldnt be a first time HC.  And fits the offensive mindset that is likely what we need.

Curious what the bigger college football fans thought of him given the situation at Texas

Just me personally, but he's the opposite of what I would look for in going to the college ranks.

He's recruited a lot of highly regarded players to Texas but they always fall short.  I think he's more a recruiter than a coach, and that doesn't seem to be the type of coach that could succeed in the NFL.