2004 Jets vs Ravens

GreekJet

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Anybody remember this game? I was thinking about it for some reason today. Some of the worst clock management of all time. 

This game is being was being a Jets fan in a nutshell.

What a horrible loss this was.  The clock management under Herm was always awful.  What happened in this game was inexcusable!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

Anybody remember this game? I was thinking about it for some reason today. Some of the worst clock management of all time. 

I sure do remember.  I liked Herm a lot and could never bring myself to wreck him with critical commentary the way I did with Coslet and Gase, but Herm was none the less not up to sitting in the big chair.  I liked the way Herm related to the players and his staff, but he was just too herky-jerky during games instead of being aware and focused on all the little details like clock management.  I don't think he would have ever fully grown into the position either, even if he had 3 more years as the Jets HC.  Sum it up for Herm. Good NFL player, good NFL position coach and much loved NFL commentator. Not too shabby. 

• Upvote 2

Clock management didn't lose us that game; the stupid HB pass did... 

The NFL screwed us because it was a horrible referee decision (was really an incomplete pass) but the play call was awful and caused us the playoffs (week 17). 

I remember watching this game @ 12 years old and being absolutely heartbroken as a kid and this game still bothers me to this day when I think about it.

The first game Quincy Carter started in place of Chad, if I remember correctly.

The game will forever be remembered for the ill-timed Lamont Jordan halfback pass call in the red zone, which was easily picked off by Ed Reed in his prime and returned for a TD.

Jets were a really good team that year but Chad's shoulder injury ruined the run.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The NFL screwed us because it was a horrible referee decision (was really an incomplete pass) but the play call was awful and caused us the playoffs (week 17). 

I remember watching this game @ 12 years old and being absolutely heartbroken as a kid and this game still bothers me to this day when I think about it.

I think you're crossing up your traumatic HB pass memories here

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This is a completely different game, played 7 years earlier than the one being discussed. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is a completely different game, played 7 years earlier than the one being discussed. 

I know. I'm just saying that clock management wasn't the reason why we lost the Baltimore game; the HB Pass and Ed Reed INT + return was. 

And every time I think of a HB Pass gone wrong it brings back memories of 1997 Detroit of week 17. 

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Paul McGuire in one of the rare times he screamed how the Jets were screwed 

But still this was the Detroit game, Parcells not Herm in week 17 and wasnt clock management 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

For some reason I thought this was the Justin McCariens game with the huge dopped pass. 

That was 2007 when we had our first Kellen Clemens sighting, and thought for like 15 seconds he might be the future.

It can tough to distinguish sometimes all of the infuriating Jets losses to the Ravens.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Without looking wasn't that the game that Vinny threw that Interception taken to the house with seconds to go before Halftime?

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

The first game Quincy Carter started in place of Chad, if I remember correctly.

The game will forever be remembered for the ill-timed Lamont Jordan halfback pass call in the red zone, which was easily picked off by Ed Reed in his prime and returned for a TD.

Jets were a really good team that year but Chad's shoulder injury ruined the run.

Quincy Carter actually played well that season.  He was 3-1 as a fill in starter and this game, his only loss, he was decent in

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

That was the 2000 Christmas Eve disaster. 

Very high on my all time worst regular season losses list. 

I call that game Christmas Pain. Haha, I've lost count how many times I've mentioned that game over the years, but not on JI @DefenseWinsChampionships.  If you're gonna lie in general let alone in detail, don't be so ridiculously dumb that your lies are ridiculously provable. I didn't talk about that game there, for example, because I never talked about anything there. 

I once worked with someone who said she owned three nail salons. I said, "That's nice, must be a good gig, I keep my nails short for practical reasons, my hands are always in water." I don't get my "nails done" (artist lol artist lol but art don't pay the bills lol lol), and five other people I used to work with said they got a manicure several times at one of the nail salons she claimed that she "owned". One co-worker in particular said to me, "She's a pathological liar. She only works part-time on the weekends. I asked the actual owner if she owned the place or any of the others. She doesn't. Haha, who says that when it's so easy." She was completely pinned out. 

Morbidly fascinated by this, I asked The Nail Salon Liar, "Hey, so Blep said that you only work there." "No, I don't only work THERE, she has her lines crossed. I own all three places and I work part-time and rotate around when I feel like coming in." Stared at me head on, not blinking, even when painted into a corner. The pathology was amazing, but at least she was thinking on her feet. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Lamont Jordan halfback pass pick six to Ed Reed was really an all time terrible Jets play. So much so that as soon as I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of it.

And then somewhere along the way LaMont Jordan admitted he didn't read the playbook. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Was at that game in the opposite end zone of the int. Saw it from far away happening in real time, yet seemed like slow mo, cause as a life long Jet fan you expect these things.

Still a good time to be a Jet fan - right in the middle of 1998-2010. Seems like eternity ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I hated Herm's style.  His goal every game was to get to the 4th quarter tied 10-10.

He had that awful bend-but-don't-break cover two designed to let the other team go 15 plays in 10 minutes and kick a field goal.  Then on offense, dink and dunk and use up the clock. 

Boring as sh*t but we got a couple playoff games out of it.