Jets “loved” Henry Ruggs, felt they couldn’t pass of Becton

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Imagine if Douglas took Ruggs instead of Becton? We’d be talking about firing him this year along with Gase. Also, what’s up with Ruggs? Is he the next John Ross? Or just getting acclamated to the league 

He hurt his knee and hamstring early in the season, those injuries can linger especially for a speed guy like him.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Becton and Mims are the best 1st and 2nd round picks, respectively, that the Jets have made in 13 years.

Pretty good start.  

And that's why you gotta like how Douglas prioritizes things. He knows damn well you won't get anywhere without a good OL. Deep draft at WR, so you trade down and wait and snag a good one still. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Imagine if Douglas took Ruggs instead of Becton? We’d be talking about firing him this year along with Gase. Also, what’s up with Ruggs? Is he the next John Ross? Or just getting acclamated to the league 

Imagine if some other team took Mims in the spots where we traded down?  That would've been a killer.

59 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

WRs used to take a couple years to acclimate. They don’t all splash right away. Davante Adams was the same way. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Imagine if some other team took Mims in the spots where we traded down?  That would've been a killer.

But it didn't happen, demonstrating that either Douglas had a very good feel for how Mims was being valued, OR he got extremely lucky.

If it was the latter, I'm fine with it.  It's about time the Jets got a little luck on their side.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Icer said:

Seems like Douglas values upside with his premiere draft picks, rather than the safe BAP choice. I dig it, we saw where drafting Mel Kiper's Best Available led us to with Macc

Mel Kiper's Best Available would have been a huge improvement over Macc's drafting method.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it didn't happen, demonstrating that either Douglas had a very good feel for how Mims was being valued, OR he got extremely lucky.

If it was the latter, I'm fine with it.  It's about time the Jets got a little luck on their side.

Fair points.  Agreed.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Douglas probably liked both Claypool and Mims (maybe even Van Jefferson too) and figured he’d get one of them in that spot. It was a good gamble by his adding the extra draft capital and still getting his guy 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think Douglas probably liked both Claypool and Mims and figured he’d get one of them in that spot. It was a good gamble by his adding the extra draft capital and still getting his guy 

In retrospect, it worked out well.  But if it didn't work out (in other words, if someone else took Mims) there really weren't any more impact WRs left (afaik).

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In retrospect, it worked out well.  But if it didn't work out (in other words, if someone else took Mims) there really weren't any more impact WRs left (afaik).

Yeah that woulda been a disaster. Good thing it worked out tho lol 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wise choice by JD.  Getting us the elite, league leading LT to protect Trevor Lawrence for many years to come,  Well done, JD !

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sure.  I'd like to imagine Douglas was calm, cool and collected while waiting for his turn at 59.  But its also possible he was a nervous, sweating mess hoping and praying no one took Mims.  Maybe we'll never find out, lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Man I thought Ruggs was a 2nd round value, he wasn't even the best WR on his team and his production wasn't half of that of Jeudy, Higgins, Lamb and a half dozen others.  If we picked Ruggs I would have insta-puked on my own shirt.

• Upvote 3

I never wanted Ruggs coming out because he completely disappeared in big time games while performing disappearing acts; all while Jerry Jeudy stole the spotlight and performed like a madman once on a big stage (throughout multiple big games). 

When the Raiders selected Ruggs as the 1st WR selected I was mind bogged because I loved at least 5 WRs over Ruggs and it wasn't even close. 

• Upvote 3