Mims - 4th ranked rookie WR

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

I don't see that.  

mid tier WR1 is like Golladay, Diggs, Robinson.  I don't see that ability in Mims.

top tier 2 is like Ridley, Godwin, CeeDee.

I see Mike Williams or Marvin Jones talent.

Mims can't hold Toon's jockstrap.  

Robinson MID TIER? 

Allen Robinsons a top #1 WR all day long! Mims has just gotten started, you have no idea how his career goes. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Guy has been on another planet. Would definitely recommend checking out some tape of him if you haven't already. He's breaking records held by Moss and Diggs. 

He's also benefiting from a very good run game with Dalvin Cook, Theilen getting injured so he's getting a lot of targets & a decent veteran QB 3 years in the same system. Let's see how Mims looks when teams have to play zone to keep Trevor from running to the sidelines for 8-10 yards a clip. 

24 minutes ago, kmnj said:

WTF are u talking about

Higgins had 5 catches and a TD last week

Ok you're right I was looking at the stats of Rashard Higgins ? but nonetheless big dropoff from games alongside of Burrow of 62 yards, 71 yards, 77 yards, 78 yards, 115 yards and 125 yards etc to only 44 yards the very first game without Burrow against an awful Giants team..

But yea. Let's see how he does against a very good Miami defense this Sunday with crap @ QB in comparison to how Mims did against them with crap @ QB (4 catches/67 yards). 

2 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Allen Robinson would be a star (even if it’s only for 2-3 years) with Trevor Lawrence at QB.

I want Allen Robinson teamed up with Mims SO BAD! I'd also love to see Devonta Smith fall to our Seattle pick (praying Seattle gets a wildcard & loses). Jets could cut Crowder, save 10 million, pick up Zach Ertz at TE. 

Trevor Lawrence with Allen Robinson- Mims- Smith- Ertz & Etienne or Najee Harris in the backfield, also sign Jamal Williams, for a RB trio of Harris or Etienne/Williams/Perine. 

Lets go to work! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Now give this guy a competent head coach and offensive scheme along with Trevor? Sky is the limit 

Let’s start with him healthy for an entire season and go from there. All Four of these guys deserve praise for doing this in this weird covid no pre-season cluster fudge.  

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I want Allen Robinson teamed up with Mims SO BAD! I'd also love to see Devonta Smith fall to our Seattle pick (praying Seattle gets a wildcard & loses). Jets could cut Crowder, save 10 million, pick up Zach Ertz at TE. 

Trevor Lawrence with Allen Robinson- Mims- Smith- Ertz & Etienne or Najee Harris in the backfield, also sign Jamal Williams, for a RB trio of Harris or Etienne/Williams/Perine. 

Lets go to work! 

If we add Robinson, I’d rather go best available OLine with the Seattle pick. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where would you rank Mims among the WR's in this draft class?

I think its more than fair for Jets fans to by hyping up a WR who already appears like he's going to outperform his draft slot.  Considering this is the same franchise that has recently used high picks on the likes of Stephen Hill, Jalen Saunders, Shaquelle Evans, Devin Smith, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen at the position, its about time we drafted a WR worth getting excited about.  

He has zero tds

one game over 70 yards

no more than 4 catches in a game

He has got great potential but he is in a large clump of WRs from this good wr class including guys drafted lower than him like gabriel davis and Darnell mooney, devin duvernay

• Upvote 2

Just now, KINGDIRK said:

If we add Robinson, I’d rather go best available OLine with the Seattle pick. 

Gonna be interesting what we get for Darnold. Turn that pick into Creed Humphrey or Josh Myers, move McGovern to RG (Thuney or Scherff at LG). 

38 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Guy has been on another planet. Would definitely recommend checking out some tape of him if you haven't already. He's breaking records held by Moss and Diggs. 

If we only landed Kirk Cousins--- all our WR would be Rock Stars but we'd still only be a 5 win team!!

Yards per target is a good metric to look at to evaluate a WR's overall performance.  Here's how the WR class (those with at least 10 targets) rank in that metric:

1. Justin Jefferson:  12.8
  2. Henry Ruggs:  10.1
  3. Gabriel Davis:  10.1
  4. Tee Higgins:  8.9
  5. Van Jefferson:  8.9
  6. Freddie Swain:  8.9
  7. Devin Duvernay:  8.7
  8. Denzel Mims:  8.6
  9. Tyler Johnson:  8.4
  10. Chase Claypool:  8.3
  11. Michael Pittman:  8.3
  12. Quintez Cephus:  8.3
  13. Laviska Shenault:  8.2
  14. CeeDee Lamb:  8.0
  15. Brandon Aiyuk:  8.0
  16. Collin Johnson:  7.9
  17. Jerry Jeudy:  7.6
  18. Jalen Reagor:  6.7
  19. John Hightower:  6.7
  20. KJ Hamler:  6.3
  21. Darnell Mooney:  5.9
  22. Antonio Gandy-Golden:  0.8
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yards per target is a good metric to look at to evaluate a WR's overall performance.  Here's how the WR class (those with at least 10 targets) rank in that metric:

1. Justin Jefferson:  12.8
  2. Henry Ruggs:  10.1
  3. Gabriel Davis:  10.1
  4. Tee Higgins:  8.9
  5. Van Jefferson:  8.9
  6. Freddie Swain:  8.9
  7. Devin Duvernay:  8.7
  8. Denzel Mims:  8.6
  9. Tyler Johnson:  8.4
  10. Chase Claypool:  8.3
  11. Michael Pittman:  8.3
  12. Quintez Cephus:  8.3
  13. Laviska Shenault:  8.2
  14. CeeDee Lamb:  8.0
  15. Brandon Aiyuk:  8.0
  16. Collin Johnson:  7.9
  17. Jerry Jeudy:  7.6
  18. Jalen Reagor:  6.7
  19. John Hightower:  6.7
  20. KJ Hamler:  6.3
  21. Darnell Mooney:  5.9
  22. Antonio Gandy-Golden:  0.8

Nvmd I see you created a thread about it. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Gonna be interesting what we get for Darnold. Turn that pick into Creed Humphrey or Josh Myers, move McGovern to RG (Thuney or Scherff at LG). 

Given the cap coming down and many teams forced to cut guys they normally wouldn’t I wonder if JD splurges on Robinson as his own big ticket item. He might then get a bunch of mid level guys. 

I don’t see us signing both Robinson and Thuney. Not that I would complain.

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet even when looking at his basic numbers, he compares favorably with other rookie WR's.  Despite playing in over twice as many games as Mims, and having over twice as many targets (74 to 33), Chase Claypool only has three games with 70+ yards.   Mims also has a higher catch rate (56.8 %) than Claypool (55.5 %), a higher yards per reception (16.7 to 13.6), and a higher yards per target (8.6 to 8.3).

Meanwhile, you can't ignore that QB's make their WR's more than the other way around when you opt to look purely at the basic numbers.   Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that Mims' numbers wouldn't be as good or better than Claypool's if he had Big Ben throwing to him instead of Sam Darnold and Joe Flacco's carcass?

Joe Flacco’s carcass? Man now that’s a screen name one can be proud of . 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Given the cap coming down and many teams forced to cut guys they normally wouldn’t I wonder if JD splurges on Robinson as his own big ticket item. He might then get a bunch of mid level guys. 

I don’t see us signing both Robinson and Thuney. Not that I would complain.

Jets have more than enough cap to sign both A-Rob and Thuney, I hope they do. 

• Upvote 1

He’s played awesome but I’m trying not to get too excited about him. If he had done it all season it would be different, but I don’t think he’s really had teams see his tape and adjust to him yet. If he can keep looking like he has through the rest of the season, we’ve got a really good one

He will. He does all the things you want a WR well. The only real “issue” he has is shaking the press coverage early and some footwork stuff. All things that WR can easily work on as they mature.
The only thing that scares me is injury. Not that he’s injury prone because he hasn’t been before this year. But our luck with 2nd rd wRs still looms large.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok you're right I was looking at the stats of Rashard Higgins ? but nonetheless big dropoff from games alongside of Burrow of 62 yards, 71 yards, 77 yards, 78 yards, 115 yards and 125 yards etc to only 44 yards the very first game without Burrow against an awful Giants team..

But yea. Let's see how he does against a very good Miami defense this Sunday with crap @ QB in comparison to how Mims did against them with crap @ QB (4 catches/67 yards). 

Amazing that you still read a box score, don’t watch the game, and infer way too much after all these years.

• Haha 1

I think i see what's going on in these Mims threads. The definition of WR1 is different for everyone.

IMO, There are 10 WR1's that are (top teir).  10 WR1's are mid-tier, 10 WR1's are low-tier, with some fuzzy rankings at the edges of course.

Top tier guys: Tyfreek, Adams, Thomas, Hop, Julio, Keenan, AJ, Theilen, DK, Evans 

Mid tier guys: Lockett, ARob, Diggs, Golladay, Odell, Cupp, JuJu,, Cooper, Ridley, Claypool

So if you call Mims is a mid-tier WR1, you are saying he is a top 20 WR in the league, and I disagree. 

16 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He’s played awesome but I’m trying not to get too excited about him. If he had done it all season it would be different, but I don’t think he’s really had teams see his tape and adjust to him yet. If he can keep looking like he has through the rest of the season, we’ve got a really good one

I don’t know about awesome but certainly good to very good

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Mims is the beat WR in this draft and over time he is going to prove it. 

WATCH AND SEE!!

I still don’t understand how Mims fell as far as he did. I know it was a loaded WR draft but thr tape was there.  The guy was an obvious stud at Baylor

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dcJet said:

I think i see what's going on in these Mims threads. The definition of WR1 is different for everyone.

IMO, There are 10 WR1's that are (top teir).  10 WR1's are mid-tier, 10 WR1's are low-tier, with some fuzzy rankings at the edges of course.

Top tier guys: Tyfreek, Adams, Thomas, Hop, Julio, Keenan, AJ, Theilen, DK, Evans 

Mid tier guys: Lockett, ARob, Diggs, Golladay, Odell, Cupp, JuJu,, Cooper, Ridley, Claypool

So if you call Mims is a mid-tier WR1, you are saying he is a top 20 WR in the league, and I disagree. 

Disagree on which side of the aisle?  Not good enough or too good? 

JFC I mean I know we are all about our hot takes here but maybe we could let the guy play more than a third of a pro season before calling him critically limited or bonafide #1.

I wanted Mims .... In a bad way .... especially after taking Becton. 

Tempered take .... He doesn't look like a bust and looks promising I'm glad we snagged him at this point. Very happy with our top two picks and will appropriately give the rest of the draft some time before I praise or harp on it.

With all the Jets problems at QB they are not utilizing Mims to his full potential. However, my belief is this an overall talent issue that is the root cause. If Sammy had a competent surrounding cast Mims might just be number 1 on that list.