Rookie WR class ranked in yards per target (minimum of 10 targets) entering Week 13

Jetsfan80

Yards per target is a pretty good metric to look at to evaluate a WR's overall performance.  Here's how the WR class (those with at least 10 targets so far) rank in that metric:

1. Justin Jefferson, MIN:  12.8
  2. Bryan Edwards, LVR:  11.9
  3. Henry Ruggs, LVR:  10.1
  4. Gabriel Davis, BUF:  10.1
  5. Tee Higgins, CIN:  8.9
  6. Van Jefferson, LAR:  8.9
  7. Freddie Swain, SEA:  8.9
  8. Devin Duvernay, BAL:  8.7
  9. Denzel Mims, NYJ:  8.6
  10. Tyler Johnson, TB:  8.4
  11. Chase Claypool, PIT:  8.3
  12. Michael Pittman, IND:  8.3
  13. Quintez Cephus, DET:  8.3
  14. Laviska Shenault, JAX:  8.2
  15. CeeDee Lamb, DAL:  8.0
  16. Brandon Aiyuk, SF:  8.0
  17. Collin Johnson, JAX:  7.9
  18. Jerry Jeudy, DEN:  7.6
  19. Jalen Reagor, PHI:  6.7
  20. John Hightower, PHI:  6.7
  21. KJ Hamler:, DEN  6.3
  22. Darnell Mooney, CHI:  5.9

NOTE:  Antonio Gandy-Golden, a pre-draft favorite in these parts, has 3 catches on 4 targets for 3 yards (0.8 yards per target).

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yards per target is a pretty good metric to look at to evaluate a WR's overall performance.  Here's how the WR class (those with at least 10 targets so far) rank in that metric:

NOTE:  Antonio Gandy-Golden, a pre-draft favorite in these parts, has 3 catches on 4 targets for 3 yards (0.8 yards per target).

Average yards per reception is a very misleading statistic and doesn't show how good and/or how bad a WR truly is; however Receptions & Receiving yards are much better indication(s) when evaluating WR's but with all that said...

And we took a freaking 4th round QB instead of a deep threat in Gabriel Davis I'm still frustrated over that pick because living down here in Florida I was screaming at the TV for us to take UCF's star receiver and felt instantly sick to my stomach watching us pass on him for no not a WR, CB or Edge but for a freaking QB who still can't get off the practice field; And to see Buffalo take him three picks later was even more disgusting. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Average yards per reception is a very misleading statistic

This is not about yards per reception.  It's yards per TARGET.  

The metric helps encompass how deep WR's are being targeted and how efficient they are with those targets.  Much like yards per ATTEMPT is a solid metric for evaluating a QB.  

It's very useful and not "misleading" at all.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not yards per reception.  It's yards per TARGET.  

It's still a misleading statistic man especially considering the fact Breshad Perriman ranks top 20 here in 2020 in yards per target and ranks ahead of a boat load of much better WR's in yards per target and ahead of the likes of Hopkins, JuJu, Godwin, Landy, Robby (cough cough), Claypool, Diggs, Michael Thomas, Allen Robinson and Mike Evans etc, etc 

Perriman (impact wise) can't hold any of their jockstraps as a WR...

And suddenly you realize how much of a misleading statistic both yards per target and/or yards per reception truly is... 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The metric helps encompass how deep WR's are being targeted and how efficient they are with those targets.  Much like yards per ATTEMPT is a solid metric for evaluating a QB.  

I'll agree to disagree I'll always judge a WR by receptions and receiving yards in order to determine their overall impact as a WR. 

Horse crap advanced statistics such as "yards per target" is very misleading; especially with small sample sizes. 

9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's still a misleading statistic man especially considering the fact Breshad Perriman ranks top 20 here in 2020 in yards per target and ranks ahead of a boat load of much better WR's in yards per target and ahead of the likes of Hopkins, JuJu, Godwin, Landy, Robby (cough cough), Claypool, Diggs, Michael Thomas, Allen Robinson and Mike Evans etc, etc 

Perriman (impact wise) can't hold any of their jockstraps as a WR...

And suddenly you realize how much of a misleading statistic both yards per target and/or yards per reception truly is... 

Perriman has been excellent when he's been on the field.  It's not misleading at all.  The only thing misleading about it is sample size, which obviously plays a big factor when comparing veteran receivers.  Perriman probably wouldn't qualify on an actual top 20 list of this nature because of games missed due to injury. 

Sample size doesn't matter as much when looking at rookie WR's, however, since they all have different roles on their teams and some are developing slower than others (typical of rookie WR's).  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's worth noting that Justin Jefferson isn't just leading rookie WR's in this category.  He's # 1 in the NFL, ahead of Will Fuller (11.7), Julio Jones (11.7) and DK Metcalf (11.5).

Unless the Chargers win the next 5 Jefferson should probably win ROTY

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I would vote for james robinson

dude was not even drafted and is on a team with 100% garbage -everybody knows he is getting the rock and he is killing it

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don't know about that because Herbert is putting up the greatest individual QB Rookie Performance of All-Time...

Herbert; 269/402 (66.9%), 3,015 passing yards, 185 rushing yards, 23 passing TD's/7 INT's, 3 Rushing TDs and a QB Rating of 100.9. 

And that's @ the imo most difficult position to play in all of sports (QB).

Murray won it last year and just look @ his numbers (throughout his first 10 games in comparison to Herbert's first 10 games)

Murray: 230/360 (63.8%), 2,553 passing yards, 351 rushing yards, 12 passing TD's/5 INT's, 2 Rushing TDs and a QB Rating of 90.2.

I can't take anything away from Jefferson what he's doing @ WR is absolutely amazing and woukd probablywin the award any other year but Justin Herbert has been downright incredible despite playing on a very bad team and having the greatest Rookie QB campaign of All-Time (a rookie record of six (6) 300+ yard games)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

whyeven talk to that _________??? 

bad enough i see his quotes

I don’t know man. Bryan Edwards (who I love) is #2 on that list. He has 8 receptions this season. I’m not sure how strong of a case this makes. But I’m still impressed with what Mims has been able to do since he came back.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, dcJet said:

I'm not seeing yards per target being a good tool to rank players.  That stat is heavily influenced by the player's style. 

Deebo is probably ranked in the 300's using that and Ruggs might be a top ten

Oh so outside receivers who stretch the field are more valuable than possession guys?  Who would have thought?

34 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don’t know man. Bryan Edwards (who I love) is #2 on that list. He has 8 receptions this season. I’m not sure how strong of a case this makes. But I’m still impressed with what Mims has been able to do since he came back.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Exactly which is why yards per catch and yards per target are both misleading statistics. 

Take Van Jefferson for example lol he's got a whopping 11 catches for 143 receiving yards throughout 11 games but yet is ranked 6th on this list. I had him mocked to us in my JN draft and he's underperformed thus far. 11 catches? 1 per game? Ranked 6th on this list? Yea. Ok. 

Ruggs is ranked 3rd but yet has been a big disappointment thus far and was never worthy of the #1 WR pick to begin with. 

Freddie Swain? The guy with 10 catches throughout 11 games?

Tyler Johnson? The Buccaneer with 10/118 throughout 10 games played and 3 starts?

Etc etc. 

Judging a WR off of yards per target is about the worst way possible to create a top 20 list for player evaluation; when Receptions and Receiving yards along with catch rate (can also be a little misleading) are way better examples of WR evaluation.

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh so outside receivers who stretch the field are more valuable than possession guys?  Who would have thought?

Dude. You've got guys like Swain, Van Jefferson, Tyler Johnson and Edwards on your list (and a bunch of other embarrassing examples);

Please explain to us how they've been "valuable" lol look at their receptions and yardage - they've been absolute crap and the opposite of valuable...