Daniel Jeremiah on Sam

BCJet

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

That rose bowl game was an incredible game.  His touchdown pass late in the game was one of the most beautiful passes I’ve seen, college or pro.

it’s a real shame how far Sam has fallen.

That game was why I loved Sam as a prospect so much.  I had never seen a QB who seemed so unfazed by the pocket constantly collapsing and continuing to make huge throws.  Thats something you can't teach.  Why he hasn't been able to fix his mechanics to hit a simple slant - that Ill never understand.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s so true.  The vast majority of run plays are run between just 2 gaps, and the passing game in centered around the slot receiver running a shallow crossing route.  I’ve been saying all year that it is just a poorly constructed offense with zero imagination and zero adjustments when teams take away the slot receiver.  Whether Sam turns thing around elsewhere remains to be seen, but Gase’s offense is a complete joke.  

100%

DJ also said that we constantly run on first down which should be a good down to pass on to keep the defense guessing.  When the whole league knows your predictable, and at the same time your QB is struggling its a recipe for disaster.

Thats why I want Gase gone.  Id like to see Jim Bob Cooter design and call plays for a couple weeks, just so we could actually use presnap motion and rollouts to make Sam's reads easier.  Just to see if that makes a difference getting him into a rhythm.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, usanyj said:

That rose bowl game was an incredible game.  His touchdown pass late in the game was one of the most beautiful passes I’ve seen, college or pro.

it’s a real shame how far Sam has fallen.

Eh, one game that everyone happened to watch. His whole career was just good at USC. He wasnt Trevor Lawrence or Luck...or even Herbert at Oregon. Turned the ball over a lot, played entirely from the shotgun. He just wasnt as strong of a prospect as he was projected as.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

100%

DJ also said that we constantly run on first down which should be a good down to pass on to keep the defense guessing.  When the whole league knows your predictable, and at the same time your QB is struggling its a recipe for disaster.

Thats why I want Gase gone.  Id like to see Jim Bob Cooter design and call plays for a couple weeks, just so we could actually use presnap motion and rollouts to make Sam's reads easier.  Just to see if that makes a difference getting him into a rhythm.

I get that the roster is poor,  but that doesn’t excuse the coach from poor game planning.   He runs that same 6-8 yard crossing route with the slot so often and teams jump that and take it away, he never has anything behind that route.  It’s wide open for the outside WR to run a medium to deep post or dig route, or a TE down the seam.  They rarely attack between the numbers 15-30 yards downfield.  

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think his USC play masked anything, that was always who he was if you watched him. He has had moments when he goes sandlot style because he's a good athlete. He just doesnt have Favre's arm...or his ability to play from the pocket. The hype was created off of his Penn State game and the northeast media going overboard on the handful of college games they watch per season.

rob riggle raise hand GIF by Team Coco

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think his USC play masked anything, that was always who he was if you watched him. He has had moments when he goes sandlot style because he's a good athlete. He just doesnt have Favre's arm...or his ability to play from the pocket. The hype was created off of his Penn State game and the northeast media going overboard on the handful of college games they watch per season.

Recall that one TD pass in that game in a tight window, that Herbstreit had a total freak out, as if he had seen the 2nd Coming. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Meh, everyone scrambles to save face for the QB everyone imagined was good. I saw it, I wanted no part of Sam coming out. Mediocre arm strength, susceptible to the blitz, shiny plays that overshadowed the crap before it. USC at Wahington State was the big giveaway for me.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

DJ was a slobbering Darnold fanboy and I slurped up some of what he was drinking when Sam was drafted.

yeah Gase sucks. We know. And Sam might even look competent elsewhere. But with that fifth year option decision coming up and being the worst QB in the NFL this year, that ship had sailed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I understand disappointment but this sounds like MOMMMYYYYY THE TOY YOU BOUGHT ME IS BWOOKEENNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! I WANNA KIW ITTT

He's a good kid and works hard, doesn't cause trouble through the media. I don't understand the anger.

No.  It's sounds like a ton of us who are tired of seeing the same half-assed play by this fraud of a "franchise QB".  You like Darnold?  Want to spend the next year or two watching more inept play and boneheaded reads and turnovers?   Fine.  Enjoy the ride into the abyss.  Me?  I want this dope gone.

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

No.  It's sounds like a ton of us who are tired of seeing the same half-assed play by this fraud of a "franchise QB".  You like Darnold?  Want to spend the next year or two watching more inept play and boneheaded reads and turnovers?   Fine.  Enjoy the ride into the abyss.  Me?  I want this dope gone.

The Bird Who Came To Dinner (1961) - The Internet Animation Database

Still sounds like this.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I understand disappointment but this sounds like MOMMMYYYYY THE TOY YOU BOUGHT ME IS BWOOKEENNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! I WANNA KIW ITTT

The Bird Who Came To Dinner (1961) - The Internet Animation Database

He's a good kid and works hard, doesn't cause trouble through the media. I don't understand the anger.

Agreed. I don’t get the scorn. None of us have anything on the line here.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

Jeremiah's point about how Darnold's off script talents covered his on script
deficiencies is powerful.  We've seen it multiple times this year on the All
22 when he's been in the pocket and has totally missed "layup" completions and
TD's

This paired with him politely ripping Gases offense = disaster. Calling out Gase for making no adjustments during the game, making nothing easy for the QB, and being extremely predictable. 
Plus him mentioning he needed to fix his mechanics and weight distribution on his back, and it’s still the same. That’s all on the Jets. 
They had a good prospect and did nothing to mold him into something better. Worst move by the jets in a real long time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

100%

Loggains used a ton of motion in that Buffalo game he called and it appeared to work well. Of course, Sam still made some bad reads and late throws that kept points off the board, but the difference in rhythm and execution compared to Gase's playcalling was stark.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This paired with him politely ripping Gases offense = disaster. Calling out Gase for making no adjustments during the game, making nothing easy for the QB, and being extremely predictable. 
Plus him mentioning he needed to fix his mechanics and weight distribution on his back, and it’s still the same. That’s all on the Jets. 
They had a good prospect and did nothing to mold him into something better. Worst move by the jets in a real long time. 

Agreed, Gase's whole career has been based on Peyton Manning covering
up his bad playcalling because he was an OC at that point

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Fans with the over the top "fraud" and "dope" comments while blaming it all on this player says you didnt watch three years of Jets football.   

• Upvote 4