Daniel Jeremiah on Sam

BCJet

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

He was scouted as an elite prospect ... here is a link to Walter Football's report on Sam ...

Nothing has improved except his fumbling woes.

One of the most damaging weaknesses he has not overcome...

"Needs to start games faster"

So you admit he has improved in some areas?

J\K.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

So let me get this st8, everyone is angry that’s critical of Sams POOR play but you the big man on campus, calling everyone “bitches”, isn’t? 

A++++++++++++ logic guy 

I just don't understand the scorn that some of you have. No one is rooting harder for us to lose every game the rest of the way, but I also understand that whether he's just not good enough or he was ****ed by this organization or any combination of both that "Get the **** out" doesn't seem to be a rational or even intelligent way to express something. It's just ugly.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that school of thought is both wrong and irrelevant.  Joe Douglas is taking a new QB in the 2021 draft whether you like it or not.  At which point it only makes logical sense to trade Darnold for the best pick he can get.  

We have no idea what Douglass is thinking. There's a chance he's of the school of thought mentioned in my post. If thats the case,Darnold is our QB next year. Like it or not.

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

NFL scouts probably watch every game though. And they all had him going 1, 2 or 3 that year.

Exactly. And they we're all aware of the flaws,and felt they were minor.However, being drafted. Into the Jet's environment, and what has happened since, he's developed other bad habits. Can a real HC and more studs on offense fix that? I don't know. It's a tough question for JD to answer

1 hour ago, genot said:

We have no idea what Douglass is thinking. There's a chance he's of the school of thought mentioned in my post. If thats the case,Darnold is our QB next year. Like it or not.

No, there's no chance.  You're living in a fairy tale right now if you think Douglas hasn't moved on from Darnold.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Improvisation, throwing well on the run, handling uptempo offense well.

My point was he had many known flaws coming out in the draft. The team did nothing to build around what he does well. They went in the opposite direction.

He's thrown poorly on the run this season (one of his pick 6's against the Colts was on the run.  He also took a sack out of bounds against the Bills despite Crowder being wide open) and I have not seen him perform well in uptempo 2-minute situations, either.  

His improvisation does sometimes lead to positive results, and a few impressive throws, yes.  But his improvisation also leads him to throw across his body into traffic, or off his back foot.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, peebag said:

And you feel confident in this organization's ability to develop talent?  Particularly in the qb area?

No, but I feel much less confident in this org's ability to IDENTIFY talent, pre-Douglas.  You can't develop dogsh*t players, and that's what the Jets have drafted for the last 2 decades, outside of the 2006-07 drafts:  Dogsh*t.  

If the Jets were so bad at developing talent over the years, we'd be seeing lots of players going on to great success elsewhere.  Over the last 2+ decades that list is James Farrior, Danny Woodhead and Demario Davis.  That's it.  And not one QB on the list.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I just don't understand the scorn that some of you have. No one is rooting harder for us to lose every game the rest of the way, but I also understand that whether he's just not good enough or he was ****ed by this organization or any combination of both that "Get the **** out" doesn't seem to be a rational or even intelligent way to express something. It's just ugly.

Why don't you GTFO

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

considering how rare we've seen a throw like that fromSam?..it was lucky.

Think about how much of a let down a player has to be when the highlight of his football career, is a single college game he played years ago.  It really makes the “I’m scared to pick Justin” crowd look foolish, Darnold wasn’t half the QB Justin is at college.

Confused and batterd fan base we are ?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Think about how much of a let down a player has to be when the highlight of his football career, is a single college game he played years ago.  It really makes the “I’m scared to pick Justin” crowd look foolish, Darnold wasn’t half the QB Justin is at college.

Confused and batterd fan base we are ?

boom

The “he doesn't get any easy completions” is hard to swallow when he’s missing “easy completions” opportunities on guys who are wide open. If he was hitting those with the ease he should be hitting them, then such a statement could be made. Otherwise it’s just a made-up excuse.

Just like the idea that the Jets did nothing to develop him. What exactly would that look like to those holding this opinion? It’s a circular rationale that stipulates if the player doesn’t develop into a good QB then the Jets didn’t do anything to develop him. I have difficulty accepting the team just left him on his own to develop himself. 

I’m totally unimpressed with Gase, but c’mon. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The “he doesn't get any easy completions” is hard to swallow when he’s missing “easy completions” opportunities on guys who are wide open. If he was hitting those with the ease he should be hitting them, then such a statement could be made. Otherwise it’s just a made-up excuse.

Just like the idea that the Jets did nothing to develop him. What exactly would that look like to those holding this opinion? It’s a circular rationale that stipulates if the player doesn’t develop into a good QB then the Jets didn’t do anything to develop him. I have difficulty accepting the team just left him on his own to develop himself. 

Well they could hire a QB coach for one. This way Sam has someone to talk to when Adam and Dowell are both not calling the plays.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, this.

I’ve said it many times over the years, but the criticisms of our various coaches rely on the premise that they don’t understand even basic principles of football.  With Schotty, to accept the general view on JN, you had to sort of accept that he didn’t quite understand how 1st downs work.

Now, you need to accept that no one has mentioned, or tried to work with Darnold in any way, on his footwork, or that no one has ever thought to point to his YOLO balls, and say, “bad, stop doing that,” or discussed/worked on better alternatives to throwing the ball to no one.  Or, no one has thought to watch film with him, discuss the plays, and point out the open WRs he misses, repeatedly.

All these people, who are about to lose their livelihoods, not just the big money HCs at the top, but the countless assistants, who are out of work and will soon be out of work, because of Sam Darnold, never tried these extremely basic things and know less about football than fans who offer no grater insight than “need moar development.”

That’s sort of what you need to accept over the very in complex idea that the turnover prone college prospect with upside but poor fundamentals and no consistency stayed that way.

• Upvote 3

Seems crazy to say it but losing Jeremy Bates may have sunk Darnold, not saying by any stretch he’d be an all-pro and we all know Bates as an OC was not working(though what talent did he have to work with?) but as a QB coach and mentor it felt like Bates got Darnold and understood how to develop him. 

It feels like as his rookie year wore on he was making progress and the Houston and GB games in particular I was convinced he looked like he had the goods to be a legit franchise QB....since then he’s consistently regressed.

Dowell Loggains title as ‘QB coach’ is laughable, there is ZERO player development happening, it’s all about the play sheet 

fell bad for Sam, was not a fan of him coming out but there is potential there. Hope it works out for him elsewhere 

• Upvote 2