Top 10 high school and college movies

We all need some youthful idealism and emotion in our lives, so let's make a list of memorable high school movies.

Here are my top 10 high school and college movies:

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off 

2. Road Trip

3. Risky Business

4. American Pie

5. The Breakfast Club

6. If...

7. Mischief

8. School Ties

9. Cheats

10. The Craft (don't laugh). 

• Sympathy 1

You missed a biggie: Animal House.  That was the template for so many others.

I think Risky Business is just a brilliant flick whether it deals with high school/college or not.  Paul Brickman's direction coupled with that silky soundtrack make it so you can't take your eyes off the screen.  And Rebecca DeMornay is the quintessential (wet) dream girl in the movie.  Total home run.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not too far behind.  But it's played more for laughs than Risky Business.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I think Risky Business is just a brilliant flick whether it deals with high school/college or not.  Paul Brickman's direction coupled with that silky soundtrack make it so you can't take your eyes off the screen.  And Rebecca DeMornay is the quintessential (wet) dream girl in the movie.  Total home run.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not too far behind.  But it's played more for laughs than Risky Business.

Ferris is the most watch-able movie ever. You could watch it over and over and not get bored. Wasn't a big debate for me to put it number 1.

You should check out Mischief, it's like a 'small town' 50s version of American Pie, it was made one year earlier...https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089601/

Risky Business was more a coming-of-age drama, but it keeps you hooked. Only good thing Tom cruise ever did.

I never watched Animal House. I probably will, one of these days. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Ferris is the most watch-able movie ever. You could watch it over and over and not get bored. Wasn't a big debate for me to put it number 1.

You should check out Mischief, it's like a 'small town' 50s version of American Pie, it was made one year earlier...https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089601/

Risky Business was more a coming-of-age drama, but it keeps you hooked. Only good thing Tom cruise ever did.

I never watched Animal House. I probably will, one of these days. 

Never saw Animal House?  WTF, predator?  It's a bit dated, of course.  And I doubt you could get away with most of the writing/shots today.  But you need to see this flick.  Made me laugh out loud when I saw it back in college (1978, good Lord) and it still does today.

And if Ferris is ever on, I can't not watch it.  Mathew Broderick is beyond brilliant in the flick.  And I'm sitting here chuckling just thinking about the ass kicking Jennifer Grey puts on the teacher when he breaks into their house.  LMFAO!

Mischief sounds vaguely familiar.  After your recommendation, will definitely check it out.   Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "SUperbad" need to be in there. 

OMG, yes.  Ridgemont High is an excellent flick all around.  Worth watching just for Phoebe Cates' pool scene and the sequence with Spicoli and Jefferson's brother on their drive.  Sequence ends hilariously with Jefferson's destruction of the opposing team. lol  We could use him on the Jets.  

Man, so hard.  So many are sports relate too; Hoosiers, Remember the Titans, Vision Quest, Rudy...

I would go there but I will separate, 

High School: Fast Times, Dazed and Confused, Superbad, Bfast Club, Ferris Bueller, Lean on Me, Donnie Darko, Heathers, Outsiders, Rushmore, Red Dawn, Lucas, Some kind of Wonderful, Election, Footloose, Karate Kid, Porkys...the list goes on.

College; Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, Old School, Back 2 School, Neighbors, PCU, School Daze, 22 Jump Street, Real Genius, Wonder Boys, Good Wil Hunting, 

• Upvote 1

After my last post, this one just popped into my mind.  Not a great flick.  But recall there being like wall-to-wall nudity which was cool for a teenager like me back then.  lol   Starred a young Don Johnson and his future mother-in-law, Tippi Hedren.  From a novel of the same name by the tragically-named Robert Rimmer.

92592425_1080x1440.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another great coming of age flick is The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, which in 1969 won the Oscar for Best Picture and starred a young Maggie Smith.  

My friends and I (we were early teens) showed up early for another movie which I can't recall and sat through this as it was already playing.  At first we were bored.  But then came a bunch of nude shots and sex scenes, which suddenly piqued our interest.  I had such a crush on the cute brunette, actress Pamela Franklin (pictured in glasses below), who played Sandy.

51KJJ1M53YL._SY445_.jpg

Prime-of-Miss-Jean-Brodie-Pamela-Frankli

On 12/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, munchmemory said:

Napoleon Dynamite

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Why?

Annoying, angsty rich white kids acting like douchebags. I went to Private school,  had enough of that sh*t in real life. LOL.

Plus, I just despise tte Ferris Buehler character and would love to punch that spoiled **** in the face.

Aside from that,  great.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Annoying, angsty rich white kids acting like douchebags. I went to Private school,  had enough of that sh*t in real life. LOL.

Fair comment,

but what's the alternative? if it wasn't for rich white kids showing us how to kick ass, live life and have fun, we'd be stuck with movies like...

'Rudy':

'What's Eating Gilbert Grape':

'October Sky':

and 

Forrest Gump:

All decent movies, showcasing American life and aspiration. But they're all depressing as f*ck. And i would NEVER, EVER, EVER wanna be like any of the protagonists. I'll applaud their spirit, but i don't wanna be like them. No thank you. 

On the other hand, I'd love to be Ferris Bueller. That's the kind of aspirational idealism that gets me off my chair. 

I'm also a private school kid by the way, but let's be honest: its easy to appreciate douchebag rich kids when you see how depressing 'real' America truly is. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 10:37 AM, predator_05 said:

We all need some youthful idealism and emotion in our lives, so let's make a list of memorable high school movies.

Here are my top 10 high school and college movies:

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off 

2. Road Trip

3. Risky Business

4. American Pie

5. The Breakfast Club

6. If...

7. Mischief

8. School Ties

9. Cheats

10. The Craft (don't laugh). 

Don't forget Animal House, Vision Quest, Fast times at Ridgemont High, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Too lazy to read through the thread again.   Did we mention Friday Night Nights?   That's a great one.  Loved the movie and TV versions.

Nope. I considered it, but it fell just outside my top 10!! Excellent movie, but it misses out on account of its stone-cold realism. 

I'll do a 11-20 sometime later. 

• Upvote 1