Thoughts on Fields?

GreekJet

Just now, GreekJet said:

Great runner, but seems like he isn’t pro ready yet as a passer. 

He's a heck of a passer however he does look to run way too often and his style of play reminds me of Cam Newton too much. He's going to take an NFL pounding if he continues to be a run first QB (at times). 

I believe he'll be a really good NFL QB though within the mold of a Josh Allen. 

5 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

The gap between TL and Fields is huge .

I 100% agree. The gap in terms of pure quarterbacking ability is big. 

The more I watch Kyle Trask the more I'm convinced he's going to become a much better NFL QB than Fields and with Jacksonville playing in Florida I wouldn't be surprised if they shocked the NFL world and selected Trask over Fields #2 overall. 

Also I know it’s the wrong thread but

“Hey Trevor, we have A Robinson, Mims and Crowder as your WRs year 1. We also have Seattle’s one, our own second, another second (via Darnold trade), our third, Seattle’s third, our fourth”.

Sounds terrible for a rookie QB.

2 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

“Hey Trevor, we have A Robinson, Mims and Crowder as your WRs year 1. We also have Seattle’s one, our own second, another second (via Darnold trade), our third, Seattle’s third, our fourth”.

FWIW...I think Douglas trades out of #33/34 and picks up a later second and another third.

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

And don't forget the most important X-Factor for Trevor Lawrence and his blind side...

0bceb346b07941a6a0a70fa69674b1a0.jpg.2f3b8e905ccd48b331481139a64f7f27.jpg

No NFL Franchise can offer him, that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

FWIW...I think Douglas trades out of #33/34 and picks up a later second and another third.

I could see that as well (Mims pt.2 type of 2nd round trade down) but with the first pick of the 2nd round we'll have the pick to draft the player we love the most and if a Najee Harris is available for the taking (reminds me so much of Adrian Peterson coming out) I'd become absolutely disgusted in a trade down (just as I was disgusted when we passed on Dalvin Cook during the 2nd round). 

• Upvote 1

Ohio St. is playing a "just get it over game" against Mich. St.
They are missing their HC, 4 OLinemen and Mich. St. stinks.
Fields will not generate any impressive passing stats today,
he doesn't have to.  I am looking forward to watching the BYU
game later today, all this Zach Wilson talk has me intrigued

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

Ohio St. is playing a "just get it over game" against Mich. St.
They are missing their HC, 4 OLinemen and Mich. St. stinks.
Fields will not generate any impressive passing stats today,
he doesn't have to.  I am looking forward to watching the BYU

Ohio State being without their head coach Ryan Day today but yet up 35-0 and Ohio State never missing a beat since the departure of Urban Meyer as HC (now Assistant athletics director); just goes to show NCAA Football is more about recruiting ability than it is head coaching importance... Which is why so many NCAA head coaches fail on an NFL level (not all, but most). 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I am looking forward to watching the BYU

Me too! The kid is the real deal and will be a dam_ good NFL QB. I not saying he's better than Trevor but he's a better prospect than any of the 2018 draft class IMO.

30 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The more Fields plays the scarier the second pick gets.

I'm most certainly not a Fields fan but he played a really good game today going 17/24, 199 yards, 2 TDs/0 INTs along with 104 rushing yards and 2 rushing TD's. 

Although I do agree the gap between Lawrence vs. Fields is a big one. 

Imo Trevor has Luck/Mahomes type potential compared to Fields with Newton/Allen type potential (in terms of style of play). 

54 minutes ago, AL047 said:

I'm not sold on Fields, historically when was there a QB taken out of Ohio State and started in the NFL??? I rather wait until the combine to hear the other QB's coming out of college for the 2021 draft. 

Check out the history of Texas Tech QB's prior to Pat Mahomes, and Cal QB's before and after Aaron Rodgers, then get back to me.

No Ohio State QB has ever been close to the level of Fields as a prospect.  If it makes you feel any better, Fields started his career at Georgia.  He wasn't an Ohio State recruit, at least not initially.  Usually Ohio State can never recruit QB's.  Dwayne Haskins wasn't in the same universe as Fields as a prospect.

Evaluate the prospect.  Not the program.

• Upvote 4

Didn't watch much of the OSU game today, but what I did see was one read and take off and run.  Which is exactly what he was two years ago at UGA.  Thought he had made strides the last two years in terms of going thorugh progressions rather than relyiing on his legs, but I did not see that today.

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, fusionCA said:

The gap between TL and Fields is huge .

If we pick 2nd I would prefer to trade down for a big haul and select a different QB 

Agree. I’ve posted it before. Talented -absolutely. Franchise QB? Could be, but not convinced.