Jets \ Raiders Game Thread

Maxman

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Flexibility only goes so far, and you seem to be assuming all 3 of the "2nd tier" QB prospects will be rated about the same.  I doubt that will be the case. 

The time to be flexible is when you like a few non-premium position guys, or even a WR or EDGE rusher, about the same and thus feel comfortable one will be there when you trade down.  You just don't do that with QB's. 

When you need a QB and have a high pick, you take your top guy, period.  You don't d**k around with decisions like that.  

I understand your point and don't necessarily disagree. I guess I'm saying it is too soon to call it one way or the other.  I get it that TL and Fields are consensus 1A and 1B but again, a lot can happen between now and the draft.   I really like Lance and as a dark horse candidate but it take some serious balls to trade for him and risk some other team jumping right in front to take him.  I just like the idea that for a change we a GM who thinks a little outside the box and willing to take chances, although as you mentioned, that might be too much of a risk to take considering what you might get back.   All I know is if we don't get the 1st pick it is going be a very interesting debate up until the draft.   The way the team played today I could actually see them sneaking out a win one last 4 games....

Just now, JetBlue said:

I understand your point and don't necessarily disagree. I guess I'm saying it is too soon to call it one way or the other.  I get it that TL and Fields are consensus 1A and 1B but again, a lot can happen between now and the draft.   I really like Lance and as a dark horse candidate but it take some serious balls to trade for him and risk some other team jumping right in front to take him.  I just like the idea that for a change we a GM who thinks a little outside the box and willing to take chances, although as you mentioned, that might be too much of a risk to take considering what you might get back.   All I know is if we don't get the 1st pick it is going be a very interesting debate up until the draft.   The way the team played today I could actually see them sneaking out a win one last 4 games....

@ Seattle, @ Rams, vs Browns, @ Patriots?  I don't see it.

2 hours ago, ausman said:

Certainly looked that way.  All you have to do is play your D not to get best deep.  That’s all.  Blitzing in that situation — especially with the lack of success this D has had with it — was insane.

Have to think that talk radio and the tabloids will test those waters this week 

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

The zero blitz was called bc Carr struggled against it all day and he was picking the Jets apart when he had time. 

Yes, but time and place.  Carr had 45 yards to go and 11 seconds to get it on 4th down. Better to make him check down and throw something short By rushing four and dropping your secondary into full protect mode, keeping all receivers in front of the defense.  What Williams was doing was gambling with a pass rush that gets there about 20% of the time.  That he man’s he had an 80% chance of getting burned.  Guess what happened.  No surprise or at least shouldn’t have been.  His secondary was burned twice on the last Raider drive.  Carr’s inability to make him pay was the difference.  But given one more chance...  that he never should have had...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, ausman said:

Yes, but time and place.  Carr had 45 yards to go and 11 seconds to get it on 4th down. Better to make him check down and throw something short By rushing four and dropping your secondary into full protect mode, keeping all receivers in front of the defense.  What Williams was doing was gambling with a pass rush that gets there about 20% of the time.  That he man’s he had an 80% chance of getting burned.  Guess what happened.  No surprise or at least shouldn’t have been.  His secondary was burned twice on the last Raider drive.  Carr’s inability to make him pay was the difference.  But given one more chance...  that he never should have had...

I agree, but I could see the rationale. The bigger mistake was Jackson falling for a double move in that situation. He's supposed to keep the man in front of him on a zero blitz. There is no way you can let your man behind you in that coverage and in that situation. 

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I agree, but I could see the rationale. The bigger mistake was Jackson falling for a double move in that situation. He's supposed to keep the man in front of him on a zero blitz. There is no way you can let your man behind you in that coverage and in that situation. 

I agree with that too.  

1 hour ago, ausman said:

Exactly.  Situational awareness.....   Not to mention he has Lamar Jackson, who not exactly a speed demon, plays too close the line.  He should have been at least another 6 yards back...   Terrible coaching.