What was Gregg Williams thinking?

GreekJet

11 minutes ago, Jets4realz said:

That call was obviously a tanking season call. Man to man on back to back plays? Gregg knows better than that. That was obvious a tanking changing call

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ok, but you didn’t finish your thought. What possible reason would Williams — or Gase for that matter — have for intentionally losing the game? Neither is going to be around to enjoy the fruits of a winless season. They both know they’re going to be gone. So tell me please, why would Williams intentionally throw a game?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Coach needs to stress how to play that. Maybe he did, but obviously not enough

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree the coach needs to point out the situation. However, I also feel this isn't children's league football populated by 10 year olds, and an aspiring pro cb needs to demonstrate some competent decision making in an obvious situation when it really matters.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree the coach needs to point out the situation. However, I also feel this isn't children's league football populated by 10 year olds, and an aspiring pro cb needs to demonstrate some competent decision making in an obvious situation when it really matters.

Situational stuff that you have to be smart. Most of these guys aren’t very smart ?
Belichick teaches these situational things. As soon as the WR slowed the CB should have just deep. Our coaches are terrible. Both can coach pro bowl teams but can’t coach up anything less. Horrible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

No excuse for it. 

The Jets made an unprecedented play call to end their game vs the Raiders There were 252 pass plays meeting this criteria the last 15 seasons: •Final 15 seconds •Down 4-8 points •40+ yards to the end zone They were the 1st defense to send 6+ pass rushers in ^ situation

got that from ESPN stats twitter page

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Exactly, no brains whatsoever. Wait, why am I complaining that he should have played better coverage in an obvious situation.... Thank god he didn't play it correct.

They teach that sh*t in high school, give up underneath, turn him into your help. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

More like... What was Jackson thinking? Last play, they need a TD, and you bite on a short fake to the inside.... I get that you'd think the D would have help over the top as there should have been.

Jackson sucks. It is inexcusable to send 8 and give him no help in that situation with 13 seconds left and them having no timeouts. 

27 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

agreed. plus Williams has intermed coached so hes no child. 

and to think all of the " fire Gase now " people, hey this Williams would be our coach if we did

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

agreed. plus Williams has intermed coached so hes no child. 

and to think all of the " fire Gase now " people, hey this Williams would be our coach if we did

No thanks. I want a coach that can thrive in this open high scoring league. Regardless of what the coach did or didn't do, we know for sure what the player did.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

And to think.  It happened on consecutive plays.  Agholor got behind the defense and Carr missed him.   Next play Ruggs gets behind defense and beats us.  How could that possibly happen twice unless it was intentional.  You put two safeties back by the EZ and tell them not to let anyone get behind them.  You can blow a coverage once, but twice in a row is laughable.

This team is making losing an art form.

I totally agree, and I said so at the time on the game thread. The Jets, or at least the DC, threw that game at the end. The Jets should fire him at least as a PR move.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I never said Greg made a good call. Yet, Jackson bit on a move he should have known was just obvious bait.

My point is the idiot coach should not have put a mediocre to bad rookie CB one on one on the outside against a guy who runs a 4.27 40 with 13 seconds to go in the game. It didn't surprise me one bit that he bit on the move and was burned. He sucks. 

• Upvote 1

I just watched the game again. Honestly, I don't think  Gregg Williams deserves any blame for Ruggs last second TD? Truth be told our secondary was so bad today it's a wonder the Raiders didn't drop 50 on us. The defense did well to shut down the running game and making the Raiders completely one dimensional, but the Raiders didn't need a running game. Not Maye, not Langi, not Hewitt, not Davis, or anyone else had any idea how to cover Waller. Between Ruggs, Renfrow, Waller, and Agholor the Raiders had a complete mismatch for the Jets secondary. It really wasn't a contest. With that said, I love how the Jets were able to take a far more talented team right to the wire.

6 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

It's not easy finding a new way to lose in a way @SAR I can consider it a win every week.

You can say with authority that with the defense hanging on for 30 more seconds against Denver, New England, and Las Vegas, and Darnold just having an average game against Miami, the Jets would easily be 4-7 right now enroute to the 5-11 or 6-10 season everyone thought this team would have back in June.

Oh, and that was completely healthy.  Oh, and that was with Bell, Adams, and Mosely playing.

SAR I

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I just watched the game again. Honestly, I don't think  Gregg Williams deserves any blame for Ruggs last second TD? Truth be told our secondary was so bad today it's a wonder the Raiders didn't drop 50 on us. The defense did well to shut down the running game and making the Raiders completely one dimensional, but the Raiders didn't need a running game. Not Maye, not Langi, not Hewitt, not Davis, or anyone else had any idea how to cover Waller. Between Ruggs, Renfrow, Waller, and Agholor the Raiders had a complete mismatch for the Jets secondary. It really wasn't a contest. With that said, I love how the Jets were able to take a far more talented team right to the wire.

What does the rest of the game have to do with this? We're discussing one specific play. That one play call was absolutely brutal regardless of the game he called prior to that

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You can say with authority that with the defense hanging on for 30 more seconds against Denver, New England, and Las Vegas, and Darnold just having an average game against Miami, the Jets would easily be 4-7 right now enroute to the 5-11 or 6-10 season everyone thought this team would have back in June.

Oh, and that was completely healthy.  Oh, and that was with Bell, Adams, and Mosely playing.

SAR I

Plus we beat Buffalo!

The tank aspect makes little sense. From all indications Gregg Williams and Adam Gase will not be back next year. Why would they make themselves look bad in order for the Jets to retain a higher pick? Are we supposed to believe that the Jets went down 17 points only to rally back and go ahead only to lose on purpose? So strange and I dont believe the tank is in affect from the tops of the organization down.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shawn306 said:

It was a play call that will set this franchise so far back even Trevor Lawrence will not be able to save it. 

Every player who busted their ass out there today should demand to be traded. 

SOJ forever

About 50-75 % of the roster wasn't going to be back regardless.  They'll get over it.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Its football 101. The only play that could beat you is a TD or a PI call. Line 8 defenders deep and rush 4 . If they throw underneath , time will expire. 

To do it once I say maybe, to do it a 2nd time after narrowly escaping the previous play was clearly a tank or FU call by Williams.

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

The tank aspect makes little sense. From all indications Gregg Williams and Adam Gase will not be back next year. Why would they make themselves look bad in order for the Jets to retain a higher pick? Are we supposed to believe that the Jets went down 17 points only to rally back and go ahead only to lose on purpose? So strange and I dont believe the tank is in affect from the tops of the organization down.

Nothing else that happened in the game before mattered. You can in essence say the game started with 11 seconds left , Williams chose to play man coverage and Blitz when 100% of other NFL DC's would play prevent in that situation. So he either tanked or sent a mammoth sized FU to the team. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

The Jets made an unprecedented play call to end their game vs the Raiders There were 252 pass plays meeting this criteria the last 15 seasons: •Final 15 seconds •Down 4-8 points •40+ yards to the end zone They were the 1st defense to send 6+ pass rushers in ^ situation

got that from ESPN stats twitter page

Awesome.  Best tank, ever. 

SAR I