If eventually it's revealed that we did tank that last play, what are your thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

When the Penguins tanked for Mario Lemieux, or the Colts for Manning, they did not have to give back the success nor championships. And not even sure this was a "tank" at all. 

And the Colts HC and GM were both canned after the "tank" season.

Edit: sorry, was thinking about the Suck for Luck season, not Manning season.

16 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

What does Williams get by tanking there? This doesn't look good on his resume for future coordinator jobs, and the new coach is definitely going to want to bring in his own guy you would think. I guess its possible that Douglas is assuring him his job next year if he helps the tank, but I seriously doubt that

Exactly, Williams isn’t going to be here next year . Why does he care if we get Lawrence? It’s an absurd idea . 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I realize there's "plausible deniability" right now but let's say eventually someone says something and it shows that play call was designed to give the Raiders the best chance to beat us, then what?  

I dunno. If we find out that Adam Gase is an alien from another planet and he psionically made Williams call that play as part of his plan to conquer the world, then what?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@ Seattle, @ Rams, Browns, @ Pats

It's over.  0-16 is happening.

Oh, I agree. It really feels like it is happening. BUT:

Today took a lot our of me. Waaaay too close for comfort. 

I'm still afraid to get my hopes up. 

But yea, when you lose a game like we lost today, you really start to think the stars are aligned. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I realize there's "plausible deniability" right now but let's say eventually someone says something and it shows that play call was designed to give the Raiders the best chance to beat us, then what?  

I think you should start another thread, "Suppose I can Prove it"

LOL

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh, I agree. It really feels like it is happening. BUT:

Today took a lot our of me. Waaaay too close for comfort. 

I'm still afraid to get my hopes up. 

But yea, when you lose a game like we lost today, you really start to think the stars are aligned. 

I wish the Jags would win a damn game so we can breath , but we can’t complain after today . Imagine being a Jags fan and watching the Jets lose like that ? LoL 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have a hard time believing that because there's no benefit to the coaching staff who clearly won't be here next year.

But it clearly would have been good for the team.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I have a hard time believing that because there's no benefit to the coaching staff who clearly won't be here next year.

But it clearly would have been good for the team.

Well Gase and GW should both be fired tonight then (GW made the call and Gase didn't overrule it) if the Jets are "on the level".  Though it's possible there was some type of back-handed agreement (or whatever the phrase would be) even if they are fired.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well Gase and GW should both be fired tonight then (GW made the call and Gase didn't overrule it) if the Jets are "on the level".  Though it's possible there was some type of back-handed agreement (or whatever the phrase would be) even if they are fired.

Why? The front office wants Lawrence.

Keep Gase, the tank commander, in charge til the bitter end.

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

DISCLAIMER: I don't think it was on purpose.  I think Williams was trying to give Carr as little time as possible to throw.  Jackson should NEVER have played it the way he did.  That said, it was dumb not having three people back.

THAT SAID:

If it was on purpose, and it is provable, then the coaches have to be fired...and possibly the GM too.

Listen, I want the first round pick as much as the next guy, but you CAN'T have coaches and upper management throwing games purposely in professional sports.  You just can't.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

DISCLAIMER: I don't think it was on purpose.  I think Williams was trying to give Carr as little time as possible to throw.  Jackson should NEVER have played it the way he did.  That said, it was dumb not having three people back.

THAT SAID:

If it was on purpose, and it is provable, then the coaches have to be fired...and possibly the GM too.

Listen, I want the first round pick as much as the next guy, but you CAN'T have coaches and upper management throwing games purposely in professional sports.  You just can't.  

I feel the same way.  I hope I'm wrong about the tank but I don't see how that could be. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To get a dead cat bounce win? F__ that. Finish it. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

When the Penguins tanked for Mario Lemieux, or the Colts for Manning, they did not have to give back the success nor championships. And not even sure this was a "tank" at all. 

Penguins def tanked for Lemieux.  Colts I can't quite remember but Peyton was out that whole season.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Most Honorable and Righteous Franchise In Sports, the Spurs, for Tim Duncan.

That franchise makes me sick.  "Pop" thinks he's the greatest human on the planet.

• Upvote 1

If they did indeed tank the last play then I say good for them ??‍♂️

It’s been sickening winning meaningless games at the end of the season for years on end.......if you’re 0-11 what’s the point of winning? And before the fan police comments I could care less don’t tell me how to be a fan because because I can handle having a putrid season like this one for the greater good of the future team 

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

If they did indeed tank the last play then I say good for them ??‍♂️

It’s been sickening winning meaningless games at the end of the season for years on end.......if you’re 0-11 what’s the point of winning? And before the fan police comments I could care less don’t tell me how to be a fan because because I can handle having a putrid season like this one for the greater good of the future team 

I couldn't agree more.  Sadly, I've been rooting against us for years to try to get better picks.

OTOH, though, doesn't it destroy the integrity of the game to not try to win?  Imagine we were in the playoff hunt and some team gave up a game like this?  Imagine you were a gambler and it cost you money?

If nothing else, the NFL now has to institute a lottery type system to prevent tanking.  For years I think teams really did try to win no matter what.  But if we're in an era now where teams are just outright sabotaging their own chances then it's time to put in a lottery.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If you want to lose why even make it that close?

This is what makes me not see the logic here....and I’m someone who believes games have been thrown before not like I believe it can’t happen. 

Why not let the Raiders score with goal to go on their previous Drive? But then again we’ll never know some of the super shady things that happen in pro sports....the world for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I couldn't agree more.  Sadly, I've been rooting against us for years to try to get better picks.

OTOH, though, doesn't it destroy the integrity of the game to not try to win?  Imagine we were in the playoff hunt and some team gave up a game like this?  Imagine you were a gambler and it cost you money?

If nothing else, the NFL now has to institute a lottery type system to prevent tanking.  For years I think teams really did try to win no matter what.  But if we're in an era now where teams are just outright sabotaging their own chances then it's time to put in a lottery.

Pro Sports have always been dirty.....sometimes subtly and sometimes blatantly

I don’t think Goodell is a commissioner like Stern who did everything in his power to control the perception of the league which lead to the institution of the NBA draft lottery.....look at how much unfavorable stories the NFL has had to deal with, and with the exception of concussions they’ve done little about it........ 

• Upvote 1

It was a bad play call, but it worked on the drive before.  The idiot other Lamar Jackson bit on the route. Thats his fault not the coaches.  There is no way to prove he did it for the tank that he won't even benefit from. Thank you Greg!!

Nobody will care about this game ever again! A sh*tty team beat a sh*ttier team! 
Fantasy players will remember Waller abusing us more than that final dagger with 5 seconds left! 
It’s not like Moss beat Revis. A speedy rookie beat a crappy rookie CB. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Nobody will care about this game ever again! A sh*tty team beat a sh*ttier team! 
Fantasy players will remember Waller abusing us more than that final dagger with 5 seconds left! 
It’s not like Moss beat Revis. A speedy rookie beat a crappy rookie CB. 

I wonder about this.  I have a feeling it will be a big story and the league is going to change (probably to a draft lottery) as a result.