Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Cowher?  He retired in 2007.  That's the year Revis was drafted. Mangini was our coach. 

Thats the year the first IPhone came out. 

How old is he?  

I don't know guys. This seems a far cry from young forward thinking offensive mind.  No? 

lol i missed your iphone reference

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Boomer says for the 1st time he’s been working with Cowher he thinks he may get back into coaching.  What do we think.  Bills wife is a huge Jets fan. By the way. And he lives in NYC. 

I for one would be all in. Instant respectability. 

no, No, NO... I want NOTHING to do with Spittle Face.  Over-Hyped wanna be drill instructor.  Won a lot of close regular season games and playoffs games because the zebras know it is good for their future if they stop calling penalties against Squeeler offensive lineman in the 4th quarter and start calling PI against the opposing teams. NOT A CHANCE IN THE BLOODY PIT OF HELL DO I WANT THIS GUY.

Beware the pseudo tough guy...

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Boomer Esiason no longer has any credibility. He's devolved over the years to get his radio show more attention. Yesterday we was the leader of the idiotic "Jets threw the game" brigade. I don't believe this one either.

This is a cheap publicity stunt.  Cowher probably made some off-hand comment, Boomer heard and is now acting like it's a done deal

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

the smart hire is trevor's college coach-he knows how to get TL to produce and it will give TL some comfort to have his coach there who he trusts and believes in

I suggested the same in another thread about 2 weeks ago.

Why not Swiney as HC if we can draft Lawrence? Is he considered too much of a college coach and not pro material? He's 138 and 32.

I'd love to know why some think he shouldn't be considered.

4 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Boomer says for the 1st time he’s been working with Cowher he thinks he may get back into coaching.  What do we think.  Bills wife is a huge Jets fan. By the way. And he lives in NYC. 

I for one would be all in. Instant respectability. 

LOL

This again

1 hour ago, BleedinGreenNC said:

Wasnt he a ground n pound coach? And he last coached when? Tell me how the retread coaching hires are working out?

Actually he adapted quite a bit throughout his 15 years.

He was ground and pound when he had a limited QB in Neil O'Donnell, He heavily adapted the offense with Kordell Stewart, he went with an aggressive offense the couple of years he had Tommy Maddox and was there to help break in Big Ben....

He was very far from a one-trick pony.  He's been very close to the game the past 10 years and has seen its evolution.  

Again, am I sure it'll work? No - is there risk? Sure - but I can't think of anyone that would be less of a risk.

• Upvote 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Actually he adapts quite a bit throughout his 15 years.

He as ground and pound when he had a limited QB in Neil O'Donnell, He heavily adapted the offense with Kordell Stewart, he went with an aggressive offense the couple of years he had Tommy Maddox and was there to help break in Big Ben....

He was very far from a one-trick pony.  He's been very close to the game the past 10 years and has seen its evolution.  

Again, am I sure it'll work? No - is there risk? Sure - but I can't think of anyone that would be less of a risk.

He also had a stable ownership with Pitt, far from what we have.

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Not the biggest Cowher fan, however I'd take him in a heartbeat over Harbough. I'm sure he would understand the importance of the OC hire in this the new NFL. He's been watching and commenting on it ever since he left coaching. That and he makes a commitment to this team with JD.

Some of his OC's with the Steelers were Ron Erhardt ,Bruce Arians, Chan Gailey, Kevin Gilbride, Ken Whisenhunt..

26 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I suggested the same in another thread about 2 weeks ago.

Why not Swiney as HC if we can draft Lawrence? Is he considered too much of a college coach and not pro material? He's 138 and 32.

I'd love to know why some think he shouldn't be considered.

Because college coaches that succeed in the NFL are few and far between. Two completely different skill sets. College is all recruiting so you have a talent advantage.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

How many season did it take for him to win in Pittsburgh? Jets are little light on the patience.,

Define "winning".  In Cowher's first 6 seasons in Pittsburgh, 5 of them resulted in 10+ wins, and he got to the playoffs in all 6.  He reached the Super Bowl his 4th season.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Yes, lets draft TL and hand him a coach who hasnt coached in 15 years and who was a true blue adamant ground and pound and play defense coach!

What could go wrong? 

Good coaches are adaptable.  I'm sure Cowher has the ability to adapt to the current style of play in the NFL.  

Dick Vermeil had a 15-year gap in coaching stints.  Coming out of that 15-year gap, he orchestrated the Greatest Show on Turf, which was way ahead of its time.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Good coaches are adaptable.  I'm sure Cowher has the ability to adapt to the current style of play in the NFL.  

Dick Vermeil had a 15-year gap in coaching stints.  Coming out of that 15-year gap, he orchestrated the Greatest Show on Turf, which was way ahead of its time.

and Cowher is still in the game. Analysis work, interviews, etc..... probably watches 10 hours a week of film if not more.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Don't get me wrong, I would take Cowher in a heartbeat. But how long does he plan on being here? This is eerily similar to the parcels situation. Parcels was only here for three years and was gone. 

Step 1:  Cowher hires tremendous staff filled with young, talented, and motivated coaches.

Step 2:  Cowher brings respectability to the org and gets it on the winning track.

Step 3:  Cowher retires whenever he chooses, leaving behind a successor from his own coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

No coach has ever won a SB with two teams.  Ever.

Andy Reid went to a Super Bowl with two.  As did Dick Vermeil, who similarly had a 15-year coaching gap as Cowher would should he return.

Silly argument.  Good coaches are good coaches, period.  And we need one.  Beggars can't be choosers.

• Upvote 4

The length of time out of the league definitely is concerning.

I also was hoping out next coach would be here for a decade plus. This would feel like a 5 years max situation.

Big Ben didn’t really take off until after Cowher left and I think there were some complaints that he was too conservative offensively.

Flip side, he would be a true culture changer, no nonsense, smart. He knows how to hire a good staff and develop players. 

If we go this route, I would hope he would hire someone like Tony Elliot, Mike Kafka (although unlikely as he’ll be OC soon as Bienemy gets hired), Mike McDaniels, Mike LaFleur, or Kevin O’Connell as OC and groom them to take over as HC after Cowher.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Step 1:  Cowher hires tremendous staff filled with young, talented, and motivated coaches.

Step 2:  Cowher brings respectability to the org and gets it on the winning track.

Step 3:  Cowher retires whenever he chooses, leaving behind a successor from his own coaching staff.

This all around, with the inclusion of allowing his young, talented, and motivated offensive staff truly handle the playcalling. I just have concerned that Cowher might lean to conservative more often than not. Punting on 4th & 3 on the opponents 35 down 6 in the 4th type of defensive minded bullsh*t.

But if he truly has a succession plan with a good young coach and allows them to do their job. I’m all for this. He will be a true culture changer.

I would be all in for this assuming he could find an OC/QB coach or DC he could groom to take over and he was okay with a 4 year plan. I would prefer not to go the route we when with Parcels where we built a team to win now and then after it didn't work, he balled and left us with Groh (or BB  without Brady).

In fact, in a perfect world we would have hime hired by the end of the season; Then let the pundits tell TL not to come out for the draft :-). Cowher would add instant credibility to the Jets.

And then trade the pick (with Cowher on board) for a boat load of picks. :-)

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't see it happening. 

But Boomer is right though, if the Jets land the number 1 pick, assuming Trevor is coming out, the Jets job becomes the most attractive job opening. Especially when you consider all the cap space and additional draft capital they have.

Let Joe Douglas pick the next Head Coach. 

I agree. 

The Jets are a laughingstock but have a lot of ammunition to turn things around. Any coach with a solid ego would at least be intrigued by the idea of coaching Trevor Lawrence and restoring the Jets to respectability. 

I don't see Cowher as a fit, but I wouldn't say never. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Andy Reid went to a Super Bowl with two.  As did Dick Vermeil, who similarly had a 15-year coaching gap as Cowher would should he return.

Silly argument.  Good coaches are good coaches, period.  And we need one.  Beggars can't be choosers.

Exactly. 

The biggest knock on Cowher for me would be his age (63 - I'd prefer someone younger). But he could definitely be here for 5 years and get us back on track. 

• Upvote 1