Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

Cowher has been out of coaching for a long time but I would still be ok with this.  If him and Douglas can work together it would be good.  The Jets have two first round picks and cap room.  

I could also see the Johnsons behind this as a way to sell tickets.  In 1997, after a 1-15 season the Jets raised ticket prices for the first time in years because of the Parcells hire.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Boomer says for the 1st time he’s been working with Cowher he thinks he may get back into coaching.  What do we think.  Bills wife is a huge Jets fan. By the way. And he lives in NYC. 

I for one would be all in. Instant respectability. 

Why would anyone want this guy as HC he is where football was going 25 years ago his coaching style and conservative nature would get lambasted in today’s NFL, think Joe Gibbs when he returned.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

the smart hire is trevor's college coach-he knows how to get TL to produce and it will give TL some comfort to have his coach there who he trusts and believes in

TL would produce for Kotite and Gase... He's that kind of a player.  It comes from within... 

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I'd be leery about doing this. Cowher has been out of coaching for way too long. 

and he drools on his players and spits in their face all too often.  Even if the Jets draft Trevor Lawrence as I so intensely want, it will take all the air of it for me if they hire Spittle Face as the HC.  **** that...

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's old and I would be worried about how committed he is...

But it would bring some respect and passion to the organization.  

Have to be careful it isn't just a money grab - but otherwise I'm in.

He has a sterling reputation. He puts it at risk if he returns to coaching. So odds are it’s not the money. 
Since he’s been in media for so long, he can’t be very intimidated by NYC’ ugly press atmosphere. 
And if Cowher comes it will likely be a repeat of Parcels tough competitive brand of football. 

15 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Harbaugh makes me nervous enough. Cowher has been out of the league for 15 years and over that time we all know how drastically the game has changed. I always felt he was an overrated coach anyway. Pass. 

So what slam dunk candidate out there is better than Cowher or Harbaugh?  Beggars can't be choosers.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, BleedinGreenNC said:

A younger coach that is in touch with how the NFL is now, not what is was in the past.

Name names.  

Also, Dick Vermeil orchestrated the Greatest Show on Turf despite being out of football for 15 years.  Good coaches adapt.  Cowher would absolutely be in that category.

• Sympathy 1

Gase AND Williams will be coaching next year. They have been in on the tank and have been pulling the levers for JD (the man behind the curtain) guaranteeing JD gets the FQB of his choice. If they were not guaranteed the extra year GW would have had 5 DB's stationed in the end zone yesterday!! This tank is a team effort at every level up to Chris and Woody. Loyalty begets loyalty.

Starap in boys.... AG & GW season 3 is soon upon us.

You were saying?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

The problem is we dont need an offensive or defensive head coach. We need an actual head coach. One who can coach everything. Jets need to stop being copy cats. The Rams were a flash in the pan. Cowher is by far the best candidate for this job. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’ve seen this opinion several times throughout the board today and I’m happy to see it.  I agree that we need a “ceo type” head coach....a guy that presides over the whole team, not just the D, not a guy that buries his face in a play sheet and sits alone looking at an iPad while the D is on the field.  Coach the whole team and trust your coordinators to call the plays and call the defense.

If they want cred and a long time NFL guy to tun things, hire him as president of football ops and get the johnsond as far away from any real football decisions as possible.

Cowher would be a bad hire he still is the guy on the panel bleating about running the rock every week.  He'd be a worse hire than Harbaugh.

Even though Jim Harbaugh is my #1 option, I'd be ok with Bill Cowher too. I've begged for Bill Cowher for many of years now but after almost 15 years away from coaching I'd have my concerns. However if he could bring us an immediate culture change along with instant credibility? I'd be all for it. 

• Upvote 1