Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This past draft unfortunately looks mediocre at best. Still TBD though. Becton looks like a long term starter and a hit(pending him staying in shape/healthy). Mims is an unknown still and in context with the other receivers drafted, somewhat disappointing. Davis has played, which is a positive, just not well. And the rest? 

Both Becton and Mann have garned Pro Bowl votes.  Mims has looked great out there when he actually has somebody to throw to him.  Unless it's against the law to have somebody on the Jets who actually gets separation from the corner back.  Davis was an absolute beast against the Chargers had something like 8 tackles 4 assists and forced a fumble.  And even Hall has looked decent in play that I have seen him.  The player that look like we missed on are Perrine.  and I haven't seen enough of Zuniga, Morgan or Clark.  Compared to recent drafts... I am much happier with this bunch!  And this is all with no almost no offseason what-so-ever.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How about leave behind a quality successor?  Because that's what Cowher would likely be giving us after he does retire.

Yeah.  The last time our successful legendary coach picked a successor out for us.  THAT worked out real well.   Boy... you walked right into that one.  ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  The last time our successful legendary coach picked a successor out for us.  THAT worked out real well.   Boy... you walked right into that one.  ?

Yes because Bill Parcells is the exact same guy as Bill Cowher.  There are many, many more instances of a hand-picked successor/coaching tree candidate doing well coming off his predecessor's success than there are similar scenarios as the two Bill's.

Besides.  Would you turn down that 1998 season just because of how Parcells' tenure ended?  Have we had enough success since Parcells stepped down to thumb our noses at a quality HC on the Parcells/Cowher level?  Of course not.  Beggars can't be choosers.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok and it took Bill Cowher 14 years before winning his first and only SB. 

And Jim Harbaugh has never stopped coaching. He hasn't taken a 15 year layoff away from the game (like Bill Cowher has). 

He also advised Trevor Lawrence to avoid us like the black plague on National TV so fk him; let him go coach for someone else. 

Fair concern about not having coached in 15 or so seasons but he went to the show with O’Donnell and then won it with Big Ben.  And, from what I can tell it’s not like Tomlinson has changed the way the Steelers play the game.  I guess there might be some old/young personality clashes but cowher would be quite a larger than life personality and would bring instant credibility to the team.  And maybe a proven coach will move Lawrence to take the jets job when offered and not play games like elllway and Eli.

2 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

Because this is a franchise that lacks direction,and a team that lacks discipline.  We lead the league in roughing the passer we have the worst coaching staff in the league and are not respected anywhere.  Yet our practice facility is one of the best in the league, the area in which the players can choose to live is not NYC. We could be a very desirable place to play if only we had a respectable coach that actually knows what he is doing.  

I agree with everything you said, but Bill had the fortune of coaching the Steelers which are a very well run organization. Bill's teams always had a lot of talent even when they lost big names. He left and nothing changed. There are a lot of talented guys out there you just have to look for them. Hiring Cowher is nothing more than a desperate lunge at a known name hoping he can make it work, but in the end you just hired a retread due to name recognition. Except he'd be coaching the Jets as opposed to the Steelers and he'd be doing it in a different era of football. Just because he's around the game still doesn't mean he'll be able to adapt as a coach. He knows what he knows, but I've never heard him described of as an innovator who adapts. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because Bill Parcells is the exact same guy as Bill Cowher.  There are many, many more instances of a hand-picked successor/coaching tree candidate doing well coming off his predecessor's success than there are similar scenarios as the two Bill's.

Besides.  Would you turn down that 1998 season just because of how Parcells' tenure ended?  Have we had enough success to thumb our noses at a quality HC on the Parcells/Cowher level?  Of course not.  Beggars can't be choosers.

Dude.  I get it.  You want Cowher.  Point taken.  But I'd like some of the other candidates out there who are younger and I think make more sense given where this franchise is at.  Now.  Obviously if you want make this a reality... buy one of his wife's CD's and mention it at her next meet and greet when the COVID freeze lifts.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Okay, that’s fair.  Did cowher have anything to do with the Steelers bringing in Tomlin?  Seems to me the Steelers are the same type of team that they were under cowher.  IMO once you build a successful program it can stay successful with plug in coaches of certain ability.  It worked for groh and herm and then with Rex.

Jim Harbaugh or Bill Cowher? I've thought long and hard about it; but sign me up. They'll both bring a winning NFL pedigree and both would bring instant credibility. 

I can't let the long layoff scare me away from Bill I loved his coaching demeanor growing up as a kid and have wanted him as Jets HC for many of years but after a while I just gave up on that scenario but now I'm warning up to it again. 

And unlike Gase, he has personality and character (see below). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree with everything you said, but Bill had the fortune of coaching the Steelers which are a very well run organization. Bill's teams always had a lot of talent even when they lost big names. He left and nothing changed. There are a lot of talented guys out there you just have to look for them. Hiring Cowher is nothing more than a desperate lunge at a known name hoping he can make it work, but in the end you just hired a retread due to name recognition. Except he'd be coaching the Jets as opposed to the Steelers and he'd be doing it in a different era of football. Just because he's around the game still doesn't mean he'll be able to adapt as a coach. He knows what he knows, but I've never heard him described of as an innovator who adapts. 

Didn’t he try to use slash as his QBs after O’Donnell left? It didn’t work out but he tried using a running QBs for a couple of seasons.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Dude.  I get it.  You want Cowher.  Point taken.  But I'd like some of the other candidates out there who are younger and I think make more sense given where this franchise is at.  Now.  Obviously if you want make this a reality... buy one of his wife's CD's and mention it at her next meet and greet when the COVID freeze lifts.

I get that people prefer other candidates.  There are lot of young coaches I'm interested in, especially Matt Campbell and Joe Brady. 

But my issue is with those who think Cowher is a candidate you simply pass on.  As in, not even give him an interview.  That's ludicrous.  If he throws his name in the ring he's instantly a finalist for any NFL HC job he expresses interest in, and he deserves to be.  Period.  

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that people prefer other candidates.  There are lot of young coaches I'm interested in, especially Matt Campbell and Joe Brady. 

But my issue is with those who think Cowher is a candidate you simply pass on.  As in, not even give him an interview.  That's ludicrous.  If he throws his name in the ring he's instantly a finalist for any NFL HC job he expresses interest in, and he deserves to be.  Period.  

I think hiring a successful football coach may be the hardest thing in sports to do.  Or one of them.  Baseball and basketball coaches seem to more "plug n' coach" at the pro level.  The players either have a ton of control over the sport or the coach is limited in his decisions.  But head coach of a football team is such a unique discipline.  And often times it's fit as much as ability.  Some guys just have zero luck and don't have the relationship with the organization they want.  That's why Pittsburgh string of successful head coaches is amazing to me.  It may be one of the top ten biggest legacies in American pro sports history.  To have that few head coaches in a time span that long is incredible.  Whereas these are the guys who choose our coaches...

the_johnsons.jpg.01f192b874cff65ba16788421d9b90dd.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's old and I would be worried about how committed he is...

But it would bring some respect and passion to the organization.  

Have to be careful it isn't just a money grab - but otherwise I'm in.

He is 63. Surprisingly younger than I thought. He hasn't been in the league for a decade and a half. That is a long time. With all we offer, despite all the bs about this not being a desirable place, I think we can have our pick of the litter.. and Cowher, probably isn't it. 

15 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Cowher but this is an absolute long shot. Im pretty sure Boomer is just throwing it out there to stir up the fan base but you never know maybe it does have some legs?‍♂️

he does work with him. maybe Bill told him to throw it out there to see what the reaction will be among the owners, fans and ny media.

the thing that surprises me about this is that old veteran SB winning coaches usually dont come out of a long retirement to to coach a team with a rookie QB. they usually take a team like Atlanta who have a very good vet who needs a kick in the ass. maybe even go to Dallas if that job open. they usually dont want to deal with the growing pains of rookie QBs. unless he really thinks Trevor is the real deal

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, neckdemon said:

would definitely inject some real legitimacy into the team to have a guy like cowher as the head coach. i can easily see why the job seems to be atttractive. a lot of top draft capital and a great cap situation. and some very promising young players like quinnen, becton, mims, maye and davis. cowher was even saying during halftime that despite the jets record there are a lot of positive signs that the jets have a decent baseline. 

The article I read said Cowher likes Joe Douglas a lot. He turned down the Jets because of Tanny in the past.

This is encoraging.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I think hiring a successful football coach may be the hardest thing in sports to do.  Or one of them.  Baseball and basketball coaches seem to more "plug n' coach" at the pro level.  The players either have a ton of control over the sport or the coach is limited in his decisions.  But head coach of a football team is such a unique discipline.  And often times it's fit as much as ability.  Some guys just have zero luck and don't have the relationship with the organization they want.  That's why Pittsburgh string of successful head coaches is amazing to me.  It may be one of the top ten biggest legacies in American pro sports history.  To have that few head coaches in a time span that long is incredible.  Whereas these are the guys who choose our coaches...

Being born rich enough to buy a team is harder.  :)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He hasn't coached in going on 15 years now and started off in a much different era than what the game has evolved into today. 

If this is true that it's been 15 years then it's a big no for me.  Period. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

These jokers cant even match their greens. This hurts my soul. Someone call JB Smoove. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

fwiw,i want an hc, an oc and a dc....    i can see caldwell or cowher being HC...    idont want a divided duty...

cowher and bradyas hc/oc for example...  dc? i dunno...  or even frazier as the hc

Well Cowhers big reason for leaving was missing out on his children growing up. Well they are all grown up now. Sure he’s been out of heading coaching for awhile, yet he still loves the game. He has to be considered if he is willing. He has a proven winning track record.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

Didn’t he try to use slash as his QBs after O’Donnell left? It didn’t work out but he tried using a running QBs for a couple of seasons.

He had no choice.  It was either Kordell Stewart or total garbage scrubs like Mike Tomczak and Jim Miller

Before drafting Big Ben the steelers had a Jet-like history of evaluating QBs

28 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Rich Eisen subscribes to the "no smoke without fire" theory and believes there is something to it:

Rich seems to think it's a good idea, and I do too. Cowher would bring instant credibility to a franchise that has lacked it for a long time.

I think Cowher will eventually take the Jacksonville job.

Harbaugh is my guy but if we don’t get him Cowher is the second choice.  No need to settle for guys like Bienemy or Roman

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think Cowher will eventually take the Jacksonville job.

Harbaugh is my guy but if we don’t get him Cowher is the second choice.  No need to settle for guys like Bienemy or Roman

Either Cowher or Harbaugh is fine by me. It's time for the Jets to get a legit HC - no more unproven assistants or guys that failed elsewhere.

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If Campbell wants the job then yes. The Jets just cant hire another coordinator is what I’m saying. The need someone in charge who’s done it before.

We agree there. 

Greg Roman is the only one I would actually consider but we have to get off of the hot coordinator hamster wheel

20 hours ago, Gibby said:

We are normally thinking the same way. Not on this one though. He hasn’t been sitting on a ranch in Montana - he’s still around the game and has witnessed the evolution of it. I also think he’s smart enough to delegate the right people to right position. He was smart enough to adapt to Kordell Stewart when he had him and later to run an offense that was best for Ben.

He would bring instant credibility and I feel could still relate to young players and install discipline at the same time. Sign me up.

I hear ya.  I wouldn't hate it. Cowher was the guy I wanted for a long time. I do like what he did and all that.  I just think of Joe Gibbs