Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

thanks Tuna

bel.jpg

when you think about this whole parcells bellichicken relationship it becomes a real love/hate one.  when parcells left the giaints he waited until the bellichicken secured the browns job before finally resigning.  we all saw the disaster that was ray handley.  and then he goes to the patsies and brings bellichicken on as a special assistant head coach.  the bellichicken is named hc of the ny jets as a placeholder for parcells when he walked off the patsies following the sb loss.  pretty classless the way that played out.  and then when the joined the jets he named the bellichicken as head coach defense.  a deal was worked out with hess to elevate bellichicken to hc when parcells stepped aside.  parcells steps aside after the 1999 season and bellichicken once again is hc of the ny jets for about 3 seconds before he wrote that psycho note.  so parcells sabotaged the giaints from getting good successor and then did the same for the jets.  what a guy.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He hasn't been in seclusion the past 15 years.   He's been very close to the game.  Very much involved with the league, been around the players and coaches - will be able to recruit a high quality staff.

He knows the way the game has evolved.  He's younger than BB and Pete Carol.  

exactly. When Mack Brown came back to Carolina for football after 10 years off, he said being in studio weekly allowed him to follow all game in nation, study schemes, new innovations etc. He also said he got to see all the assistant coaches and how the game managed during games and said it helped in putting together a staff.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think Cowher will eventually take the Jacksonville job.

Harbaugh is my guy but if we don’t get him Cowher is the second choice.  No need to settle for guys like Bienemy or Roman

well at least Roman has proven he calls plays and puts gameplans together. I am baffled by Bienemy rumors as he has never called plays. Its same mistake we made with Herm who was never even a coordinator before coming to Jets. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Zero chance. Cowher told Kirwan to tell everyone he has no interest in coaching. 

Eh...That's always what they say.  He'll be saying the same thing until a contract is signed.

He told Boomer the day before that he was interested in going back to coaching.

He had to calm down the noise, but he wouldn't have said something to Boomer and Boomer certainly wouldn't have said it on his radio show if he didn't have the green light to do so.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This past draft unfortunately looks mediocre at best. Still TBD though. Becton looks like a long term starter and a hit(pending him staying in shape/healthy). Mims is an unknown still and in context with the other receivers drafted, somewhat disappointing. Davis has played, which is a positive, just not well. And the rest? 

How is Mims disappointing in context of the other receivers in the draft?

If you think this draft and returns in year 1 are "mediocre at best" I don't think there is a realistic draft scenario that would be considered good in your opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

How is Mims disappointing in context of the other receivers in the draft?

If you think this draft and returns in year 1 are "mediocre at best" I don't think there is a realistic draft scenario that would be considered good in your opinion.

I’d say the benchmark is the Steelers. The Minkah trade was an A. Claypool looks like a bonafide #1. Highsmith plays a lot at a position on a team that has good pass rushers (Jets took Zuniga over him) and Kevin Dotson has started at guard I think every game (Jets took Clarke over him). That’s a good draft. 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’d say the benchmark is the Steelers. The Minkah trade was an A. Claypool looks like a bonafide #1. Highsmith plays a lot at a position on a team that has good pass rushers (Jets took Zuniga over him) and Kevin Dotson has started at guard I think every game (Jets took Clarke over him). That’s a good draft. 

Chase Claypool averages over 6 targets a game.  3.9 catches a game for 14 yards a catch.  Averages 54 yards a game and 10 TDs. 8.3 yards per target

Denzel Mims averages 6 targets a game.  3.2 catches a game at 17 yards a catch. Also averaged 54 yards a game.  0 TDs. 9 yards per target

One of those players is a "bonafide #1" and 1 is a disappointment.  Must simply be because of TD catches, because nothing else would justify that stance.

You point out Highsmith and the Guard.  What about the 4th rd RBs?  Perine has out performed McFarland.  What about 6th RD defensive backs?  Hall is a potential starter and Brooks is on the practice squad.

All in all they look pretty similar in drafts to me.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Just cant see Douglas hiring a HC that would be a much bigger figure than the GM. If Gase is fired, I'm starting to think Peterson from Philly will be his guy because of the  past ties. JMO 

You may be correct by hiring a fired coach from Philly does not bring back fond memories!

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Chase Claypool averages over 6 targets a game.  3.9 catches a game for 14 yards a catch.  Averages 54 yards a game and 10 TDs. 8.3 yards per target

Denzel Mims averages 6 targets a game.  3.2 catches a game at 17 yards a catch. Also averaged 54 yards a game.  0 TDs. 9 yards per target

One of those players is a "bonafide #1" and 1 is a disappointment.  Must simply be because of TD catches, because nothing else would justify that stance.

You point out Highsmith and the Guard.  What about the 4th rd RBs?  Perine has out performed McFarland.  What about 6th RD defensive backs?  Hall is a potential starter and Brooks is on the practice squad.

All in all they look pretty similar in drafts to me.

Perine stinks. Claypool catches touchdowns and has played every game, which is important. Mims has been hurt. If he plays well here down the stretch we can revisit. 

Hall? I guess sure. But come on. Pittsburgh drafted a starting guard and a starting pass rusher after the Jets drafted theirs in the same rounds. 

1 hour ago, NYJ37/12 said:

He said that yesterday? Surprised it was not mentioned by Boomer and Gio this morning 

Yeah apparently the conversation was something like: "Bill would you coach for Gruden's contract? $20 million? $25 million" apparently when Cowher who did not respond at all smiled that was taken as "interest". 

That said sometimes misinformation in the media could lead to it becoming true. 

So Cowher is completely dead set against coaching. All these reports come out. Then his wife, a huge Jets fan says something like "the Jets could really use you" or "we wouldn't mind you coaching again" things like that.

Few weeks pass, Cowher unknowingly watches Jets games closer and starts seeing some of the young players and thinking how he could build it. Looks to NE and sees how an at least 10 year old football philosophy is working and thinks that his style could work in the NFL again, and then one day he wakes up and realizes he is interested.

It could happen as the Jets are probably the only team he might come back for, but Kirwan is probably his closest friend in the NFL so if he says no chance it is likely true.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Perine stinks. Claypool catches touchdowns and has played every game, which is important. Mims has been hurt. If he plays well here down the stretch we can revisit. 

Hall? I guess sure. But come on. Pittsburgh drafted a starting guard and a starting pass rusher after the Jets drafted theirs in the same rounds. 

So, Zuniga and Clarke are busts after 12 games. Here we go again.?

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah apparently the conversation was something like: "Bill would you coach for Gruden's contract? $20 million? $25 million" apparently when Cowher who did not respond at all smiled that was taken as "interest". 

That said sometimes misinformation in the media could lead to it becoming true. 

So Cowher is completely dead set against coaching. All these reports come out. Then his wife, a huge Jets fan says something like "the Jets could really use you" or "we wouldn't mind you coaching again" things like that.

Few weeks pass, Cowher unknowingly watches Jets games closer and starts seeing some of the young players and thinking how he could build it. Looks to NE and sees how an at least 10 year old football philosophy is working and thinks that his style could work in the NFL again, and then one day he wakes up and realizes he is interested.

It could happen as the Jets are probably the only team he might come back for, but Kirwan is probably his closest friend in the NFL so if he says no chance it is likely true.

But did he actually say " I have no interest in coaching"? Most coaches or potential coaches will not speak of a job currently being occupied because that's really against their code.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That starting pass rusher is a starter because Dupree got hurt.  In over twice as many snaps, he has exactly 1 more sack/QB Hit than Zuniga.  Seems odd to be pumping up Highsmith.

The point about Perine is you are picking and choosing.  You are saying the Steelers draft is the bar because of guys like Highsmith vs Zuniga.  Well the production difference between Highsmith vs Zuniga is about the same as Perine vs McFarland.  And yes the Steelers got a starting guard.  The Jets maybe got a starting CB 2 rounds later. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh...That's always what they say.  He'll be saying the same thing until a contract is signed.

He told Boomer the day before that he was interested in going back to coaching.

He had to calm down the noise, but he wouldn't have said something to Boomer and Boomer certainly wouldn't have said it on his radio show if he didn't have the green light to do so.

Backchannels. That's how this stuff is done for a guy like Cohwer. He's in the HOF godammit. What an embarrassment if he says he want to coach and no one wants him. And he doesn't "interview" as a candidate. Either you want him or you don't. Plus, you maximize the money in contract negotiations if you are allowing the team to "convince" you to return to coaching. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2020 at 7:49 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

He hasn't coached in going on 15 years now and started off in a much different era than what the game has evolved into today. 

Toughness, punching people in the face, getting to the QB, busting your ass is and will always be key ingredients. I can see him bringing in a young college coach as OC but I am all for this move! As long as JD wants him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Seeing Gruden standing on the sidelines Sunday as the Raiders HC I wondered if he wished he was back in the booth. These NFL TV men and women have it good.

Bill Cowher is not coming back to be a HC in the NFL. 

:wtf: Gruden is on a 10 year, $10,000,000 per year contract. There is literally no place he'd rather be than on that sideline for the Raiders. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Losmeister said:

fwiw,i want an hc, an oc and a dc....    i can see caldwell or cowher being HC...    idont want a divided duty...

cowher and bradyas hc/oc for example...  dc? i dunno...  or even frazier as the hc

Brady is already an NFL OC.  Only way he shakes loose as an OC for the Jets is if he gets fired by Carolina.  Not happening.  If we want Brady, he has to be the HC.  

I think Cowher is having way too much fun doing what he is doing.  I don’t think the younger attractive wife in Manhattan is driving him to 18 hour days coaching in NJ.

He is tempted by the money, but both sides should avoid this temptation.

Harbaugh and Campbell are the calls for the Jets, to me.  Harbaugh will prefer Detroit, but the Johnsons will need to outbid the Fords.  

Advantage in Detroit is that they don’t have a GM either.  That is actually huge.

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady is already an NFL OC.  Only way he shakes loose as an OC for the Jets is if he gets fired by Carolina.  Not happening.  If we want Brady, he has to be the HC.  

i getcha...    was just tossing names...   and i still half think of Brady being at LSU...   i still would rather the OC just be the OC and such

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Lol. You have to be the only one I’ve seen anywhere call Mims disappointing. Fitting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Lol. You have to be the only one I’ve seen anywhere call Mims disappointing. Fitting. 

Mims:

12th among rookies in catches

10th in yards

0 touchdowns (15 rookie WR have TD's)

3rd in YPC (good)

This has been a stellar rookie class so far. Mims has a ways to go to enter into the echelon of where the other rookies are. What is the point in hyping someone that isnt there yet?

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mims:

12th among rookies in catches

10th in yards

0 touchdowns (15 rookie WR have TD's)

3rd in YPC (good)

This has been a stellar rookie class so far. Mims has a ways to go to enter into the echelon of where the other rookies are. What is the point in hyping someone that isnt there yet?

Do you watch Jet games? Do you watch football? You must be just reading stat charts.