Did the Jets lose on purpose that final drive?

Philc1

Did the Jets lose on purpose that final drive?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Jets lose on purpose that final drive?

• Yes
    • No

It's actually stupid to think the Jets tanked yesterday.  They were playing their butts off all game, and if the "0" blitz worked, then the Raiders don't have the opportunity to throw the bomb to win the game with virtually no time left on the clock.

If the Jets were going to tank the game, then they would have started tanking well before the final play of the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, bitonti said:

The Jets don't like to pay money for any reason.
They are not giving gw extra money to lose

I know I'm repeating myself but study Gregg Williams' career he has a well known disdain for prevent. And gruden knew he'd be in single coverage

If anything this is an illustration of how poor the Jets are coached

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Why they regularly pay multiple HC's at the same time , what's a small extra slush fund for GW's retirement to them.

1 minute ago, Alka said:

It's actually stupid to think the Jets tanked yesterday.  They were playing their butts off all game, and if the "0" blitz worked, then the Raiders don't have the opportunity to throw the bomb to win the game with virtually no time left on the clock.

If the Jets were going to tank the game, then they would have started tanking well before the final play of the game.

Again what happened before in the game has no bearing on the last two plays where GW could control what coverages he played, it in essence took the players out of the equation . What sane DC would call that last coverage after almost getting burned on the play before. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Virtually every week and most weeks more than once and team scores a final drive TD.

You guys are making it seem like they completely folded and didn't ever try.   

Apples to Oranges its not like the hail Mary where AZ beat Buffalo on a contested throw into the endzone that Hopkins somehow snatched. Its like a basketball team winning by 1 going full court press with all 5 defenders , if the opponent gets the ball past the press its a guaranteed loss. There's absolutely no sane argument for playing that defense in that scenario.

I think our CS set up our defense to fail.  3 single-covered WRs in an obvious hail mary situation?!  And a UDFA rookie (Lamar Jackson) on one of the fastest WRs in the sport (Ruggs)?  This after the Raiders' WR (I think Agholor) got behind the Jets' defense on the play prior?  It just makes no sense.

I don't think the players were in on it but I do think the CS did their best to set the defense up for failure.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Apples to Oranges its not like the hail Mary where AZ beat Buffalo on a contested throw into the endzone that Hopkins somehow snatched. Its like a basketball team winning by 1 going full court press with all 5 defenders , if the opponent gets the ball past the press its a guaranteed loss. There's absolutely no sane argument for playing that defense in that scenario.

Yes, but that's William's M.O.  -  That's just the way he plays it.  Want to say Williams is an idiot, I won't argue...but to think anyone - coach or player was trying to lose the game just defies logic. 

There's simply no motivation for any of them to do so, while there's strong motivation for them to win.

They came from behind to take a lead in the 4th quarter - to think they were trying to lose - yet waited for the last play of the game to give up a 40 yard TD pass is bordering on absurd.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

At 5:36 in the video, Tim Hasselbeck shows how this is what Greg Williams does. He brings the blitz in end of game scenarios. Enough with this BS the Jets threw the game. 

I count 5 DBs in that play at 5:36.   In the play yesterday, there were 3 WRs who were single-covered.  There was also a LB who was spying on Carr (as if he was Michael Vick).  

image.thumb.png.09cfdce025c8cb24a2c32aafee3c11f7.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets don't like to pay money for any reason.
They are not giving gw extra money to lose

I know I'm repeating myself but study Gregg Williams' career he has a well known disdain for prevent. And gruden knew he'd be in single coverage

If anything this is an illustration of how poor the Jets are coached

Trevor Lawrence in green and white = $$$ in the owners pockets. Consider it an investment.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes, but that's William's M.O.  -  That's just the way he plays it.  Want to say Williams is an idiot, I won't argue...but to think anyone - coach or player was trying to lose the game just defies logic. 

There's simply no motivation for any of them to do so, while there's strong motivation for them to win.

They came from behind to take a lead in the 4th quarter - to think they were trying to lose - yet waited for the last play of the game to give up a 40 yard TD pass is bordering on absurd.

Its Williams MO to Blitz yes, but there's no precedent for Blitzing in this exact scenario from anyone possibly in NFL history. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its Williams MO to Blitz yes, but there's no precedent for Blitzing in this exact scenario from anyone possibly in NFL history. 

the "exact" scenario.  That's just silly.

Yes, it's his M.O to blitz in Hail Mary, last play situation.  I read and heard that about 5 times, from five different people.

One show this morning stated that Gruden likely knew the blitz was coming and called a play according - based on GW's history in those situations.  GW was predicable there - that's how much it wasn't a tank...

This was a stupid play call for sure, but he didn't lose on purpose.  Honestly it really is absurd to think it was.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, it's his M.O to blitz in Hail Mary, last play situation.  I read and heard that about 5 times, from five different people.

One show this morning stated that Gruden likely knew the blitz was coming and called a play according - based on GW's history in those situations.  GW was predicable there - that's how much it wasn't a tank...

This was a stupid play call for sure, but he didn't lose on purpose.  Honestly it really is absurd to think it was.

What other play would Gruden have called - a run , a 10 yard seam pass . There was no other call to make then to go for the EZ in that scenario.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What other play would Gruden have called - a run , a 10 yard seam pass . There was no other call to make then to go for the EZ in that scenario.

I'm just telling you what I heard these guys talking about the Keyshawn morning show (sorry, don't know the name of it) The point I was making was these guys did the research and stated it's what GW has done in the past in similar situations...and they said Gruden would have been aware of that history.  

I don't care what play he would have called, really not the point  - just pointing out that it wasn't a tank call but simply the way GW rolls.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I find it hard to believe that a guy who has been an NFL DC for as long as Williams has a tendency to make such an absurd play call in an obvious prevent defense situation. Show your work. Where's the video from other games where he's done it. It should be easy to pull up if it's his MO.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I find it hard to believe that a guy who has been an NFL DC for as long as Williams has a tendency to make such an absurd play call in an obvious prevent defense situation. Show your work. Where's the video from other games where he's done it. It should be easy to pull up if it's his MO.

I've seen both Dan Orlovsky and Tim Hasselbeck give examples as "proof" that GW has done this before but, in their examples, there are always extra DBs (rather than every WR - 3 in yesterday's case - being single-covered). 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

@JetNation posted this in another thread (don't want to take credit). but here you go.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

@JetNation posted this in another thread (don't want to take credit). but here you go.

That Orlovsky clip is a joke. It's a completely different situation.  The Browns are leading by only 1 point and the Broncos need 10-15 yards to kick a game winning FG.  Plus there was 43 seconds left in that game (as opposed to 13 seconds left and a 4 point game with like 45 yards to go yesterday).  As for the Hasselbeck clip, see my screenshot above.  5 DBs on that play.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

To me it looks like they did but why would they? GW has nothing to gain. I can’t find a reason unless these fools think they’ll be back next year, but still. You think JD called down and said let it go? I don’t think that would happen. 

Gw is not sane. Study his Wikipedia. Look at the hard knocks with Cleveland. He's ******* nuts.

And many Jets fans welcomed it after the Bowles cigar store Indian racist jokes

Argg he's a hard blitzing hard farting man

He's also a ******* moron. That's why he's on his 10th stop.

Again what happened before in the game has no bearing on the last two plays where GW could control what coverages he played, it in essence took the players out of the equation . What sane DC would call that last coverage after almost getting burned on the play before. 

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That Orlovsky clip is a joke. It's a completely different situation.  A 1 point game with the Browns leading by only 1 point and the Broncos need 10-15 yards to kick a game winning FG.  Plus there was 43 seconds left in that game (as opposed to 13 seconds left and a 4 point game with like 45 yards to go yesterday).  As for the Hasselbeck clip, see my screenshot above.  5 DBs on that play.  

You're grasping at straws here.  You're making the claim he blew the game on purpose to help a tank that will only hurt his opportunity of getting his next job...

and your argument is - he used 5 DB's in the past when he only used 4 this time?

Come on....

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Gw is not sane. Study his Wikipedia. Look at the hard knocks with Cleveland. He's ******* nuts.

And many Jets fans welcomed it after the Bowles cigar store Indian racist jokes

Argg he's a hard blitzing hard farting man

He's also a ******* moron. That's why he's on his 10th stop.

I remember writing shortly after AG and GW were hired that they were the least likable coaches that I could ever remember the Jets having.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're grasping at straws here.  You're making the claim he blew the game on purpose to help a tank that will only hurt his opportunity of getting his next job...

and your argument is - he used 5 DB's in the past when he only used 4 this time?

Come on....

He used 3 DBs yesterday.  7 guys rushed and 1 guy was the "spy".   And a rookie UDFA was on Ruggs.

We didn't "blow the game on purpose" but our CS intentionally set the defense up to fail by putting it in the most compromising position possible.

• Upvote 1