Mel Kiper: Jets should trade #2 pick and keep Darnold

He discussed this on Rich Cimini’s podcast. Accumulate more picks and draft more high end offensive and defensive talent to fill the roster. Sounds good, but I’d rather take the chance on the QB. 

1) Darnold needs a change of scenery. Running it back with him next year is just delaying the inevitable (see Trubisky). Get what you can for him and move on. 

2) If the Jets end up doing what Kiper says they are likely to become the Colts in a few years. Good team, but ultimately limited by their QB. I’d imagine that it would be a team like the Colts who would offer a package to move up for Fields because they know how difficult it is to find a franchise QB.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

He discussed this on Rich Cimini’s podcast. Accumulate more picks and draft more high end offensive and defensive talent to fill the roster. Sounds good, but I’d rather take the chance on the QB. 

1) Darnold needs a change of scenery. Running it back with him next year is just delaying the inevitable (see Trubisky). Get what you can for him and move on. 

2) If the Jets end up doing what Kiper says they are likely to become the Colts in a few years. Good team, but ultimately limited by their QB. I’d imagine that it would be a team like the Colts who would offer a package to move up for Fields because they know how difficult it is to find a franchise QB.

Trubisky is at least twice as good as Darnold 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, AtticusGase said:

He said he would take Lawrence but still thinks Darnold could be as good or better than Fields. 

Oh ok, we are talking as if we hit he second pick instead of first. Probably not that far off but personally I think Trevor is far from a can’t miss prospect. Kinda stinks truthfully. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AtticusGase said:

Easier said then done. When you are at the top of the draft and don’t have a QB you should get one. Think of all those teams that passed on Watson and Mahomes to target the 2018 QBs. 

They were drafted 10 and 12, not 1 and 2

Josh allen was what the 3rd or 4th qb taken

Good QBs each year and you do not have to be 1 or 2 to get one.

We could still take a qb in this draft and trade down for big assets.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You do not even have to stick with darnold after another year, there are good QBs every year in the draft.

Build the team then draft the QB.

Now of course most people feel that lawrence is so so good that you have to take him.  I do not feel he is that good and is not a must have.

I’m torn and I’m not a college guy. I just have a philosophy about how to build a roster in today’s environment. The window is so narrow for a QB on his rookie deal that it’s ideal to just plug in the rookie QB when the team is already rock solid and compete for 4-5years. The Jets did this with dirty Sanchez before there were cheaper rookie contracts.

If we have the #1 pick and a super prospect like Lawrence is there, it’s a tough decision but I agree with your logic slightly more. Plus we could stack our next 3 drafts with the draft haul as we build this team. FA is not an option in the modern NFL so building through the draft is a slow process unless you have a ton of top 100 picks each year. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Oh ok, we are talking as if we hit he second pick instead of first. Probably not that far off

but personally I think Trevor is far from a can’t miss prospect.

Kinda stinks truthfully. 

I guess Peyton Manning and D. Watson "stunk too" because at 37-1 Trevor Lawrence has them beat within every NCAA statistical category known to Quarterbacking mankind

(Joe Burrow is still the only QB who's been able to beat him and Clemson only went 1-1 and almost 0-2 without him because of Covid ala 37-1 with him and only 1-1 without him"). Yup. He STINKS. 

And I guess he "stunk" when he became the first true Freshman (straight out of High School) to ever win an NCAA Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985, too. 

Screenshot_20201208-194218.thumb.png.3c79c7dfd974b15af8334306c2d85c38.png

Yeah man. You're right. What a crappy ass #1 overall QB prospect. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Oh ok, we are talking as if we hit he second pick instead of first. Probably not that far off but personally I think Trevor is far from a can’t miss prospect. Kinda stinks truthfully. 

Just curious on your thought process.  Have you, in your opinion, seen a can't miss prospect? If so, who?

What prospects over the years have you ranked higher than TL?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Trevor is far from a can’t miss prospect. Kinda stinks truthfully. 

Im no personnel expert but Ive been watching him play for 3 years now and havent found one part of his game that doesnt look as accomplished as any college QB in a major program I've ever watched.  And he does it effortlessly.  With poise.  You watch him play and come away knowing hes different from others.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You select TL with the #1 and you surround him with playmakers with the other prime picks. 

WE NEED IMMEDIATE IMPACT PLAYERS. 

Uh yeah, you are going to draft play makers and the best players you can and most import oline.

You are going to do this no matter who is the QB.

Lawrence has some troubling issues people seem to be ignoring.  He like all QBs has had some bad ints. His deep ball Comp % is lousy even if he threw a lovely deep ball last game.  He looked only okay vs ohio state last year then had lsu feed him his lunch in the nat champ game.

For me, if Lawrence is going to be declared the messiah he better just tear a hole in the other teams in this nat champ playoffs.

If he gets outplayed by Bama and mac jones then look out.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They were drafted 10 and 12, not 1 and 2

Josh allen was what the 3rd or 4th qb taken

Good QBs each year and you do not have to be 1 or 2 to get one.

We could still take a qb in this draft and trade down for big assets.

Good strategy if your draft plan is to get lucky later in the draft.

Watson and Mahomes were the 2nd and 3rd QBs taken.  One mistake was made that year at the 2 spot.  If others wanted QBs that year sitting at 10 and 12 would have left Houston and KC on the outside looking in.  

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m torn and I’m not a college guy. I just have a philosophy about how to build a roster in today’s environment. The window is so narrow for a QB on his rookie deal that it’s ideal to just plug in the rookie QB when the team is already rock solid and compete for 4-5years. The Jets did this with dirty Sanchez before there were cheaper rookie contracts.

If we have the #1 pick and a super prospect like Lawrence is there, it’s a tough decision but I agree with your logic slightly more. Plus we could stack our next 3 drafts with the draft haul as we build this team. FA is not an option in the modern NFL so building through the draft is a slow process unless you have a ton of top 100 picks each year. 

The logic is sound on waiting.  But....

1) The Jets have a tremendous amount of resources already, they have enough to give TL enough to grow properly (if done well)

2) TL is that good of a prospect that you simply can't pass on.  If you feel so strongly about waiting then red-shirt him.  Go get a Fitz type for next year and use next years two 1's  to truly solidify the offense.

But you simply don't pass on Trevor Lawrence.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, NYDreamer said:

If we have the #1 pick we take Lawrence.

If we get the #2 pick I'm trading it and building around Darnold with the Offensive tackle from Oregon or the Wr from LSU.

Building around Darnold is like squirting cologne on a dog sh*t

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lawrence has some troubling issues people seem to be ignoring.

Sure he does. 

Troubling issues that only the contrarians see while no one else does

Hes the highest rated QB since Andrew Luck and a couple of fans always come up with reasons hes not as good as advertised.  

Darnold is due a new deal.  Jets cant make that Sanchez mistake again and will have to bring in a new QB

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

i agree. if we pick second, i would trade out to like the 5-7 range, pick up another 1 and draft the LSU WR. Then i'd come back in around 1 and use our 2 picks on a CB and OL. RB round 2. CJ Mosley back next year. Give Darnold a chance at least.

If we pick 1st, i dunno...i am not smart enough to judge how "generational" lawrence is.

• Upvote 1