Mel Kiper: Jets should trade #2 pick and keep Darnold

Just now, Beerfish said:

You have to pick the right guy (not the 1st guy) and as important not have a talentless sh*t show in place around him.

The team had success with Mark Sanchez.  why?  Because most other parts of the team were in place.

Picking the right guy is very, very hard. Even in the first round. That’s why, when you have a chance to pick someone with good odds of being successful, you do it because that same chance may not be there again for many years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mel Kiper is a MORON         

#2 pick? Assuming a little bit no? 

Yea, I'm taking one of Trevor or Fields. Would not trade the pick.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This year tank for Trevor.  Year 1 celebrate. Year 2 start doubting The kid  year 3 kid was never that good. Year 4 Tank with Trevor 

Basically Groundhog Day, but with more misery.

• Post of the Week 1
59 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mel Kiper is a MORON 

CEA1yudUMAAdS_A.jpg

He belongs on the righteous Gemstones show with John Goodman lol.  That Hair is ridiculous. In all honesty he has no clue like everyone else he just throws' sh*t against the wall and see what stick's.

1 minute ago, ToonforPrez said:

He belongs on the righteous Gemstones show with John Goodman lol.  That Hair is ridiculous. In all honesty he has no clue like everyone else he just throws' sh*t against the wall and see what stick's.

He’s not a talent evaluator. He’s a draft predictor based on buzz and team sources. He’s pretty good at that but should stick to draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I will say this - You don't take a QB just because. If the Jets are picking #2 and don't think Fields is the goods, they should trade down or take someone else. 

In that scenario, you absolutely consider trading down and getting a haul. It remains to be seen what teams think of Fields. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

You will have to get through us first! 40fcc592-701c-4f79-8bb3-f73d737ad102-XXX

Yeah, that would never happen.

Arch Manning would be the threat to force a trade and avoid being picked by the Jets that some schmucks think Trevor Lawrence is.

• Upvote 1

Fields is not a can't miss prospect honestly I don't like him as a prospect better than I liked darnold coming out of college. If we miss lawrence I like the idea of trading the pick and giving darnold a chance with a real coach to see if we can salvage his career...id much rather we salvage his career than some other team do it. As far as the colts go their problem was that they never built a team around andrew luck specifically on their offensive line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I will say this - You don't take a QB just because. If the Jets are picking #2 and don't think Fields is the goods, they should trade down or take someone else. 

In that scenario, you absolutely consider trading down and getting a haul. It remains to be seen what teams think of Fields. 

Agree if for some reason TL isn't available you have to consider the options. 

Trade #1 for Jags first 4 picks and next years 1st.

Trade #2 for Colts 1st, 2nd and next years 1st.

4 1st rounders this year and next year.

4 2nd rounder this year.

Sign Winston or Stafford or keep Sam

Profit

Lawrence and Fields suck

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Trade #1 for Jags first 4 picks and next years 1st.

Trade #2 for Colts 1st, 2nd and next years 1st.

4 1st rounders this year and next year.

4 2nd rounder this year.

Sign Winston or Stafford or keep Sam

Profit

Lawrence and Fields suck

Tell Pulp Fiction GIF

• Haha 1

There's a reason Mel Kiper is on ESPN and not working for an organization in any capacity.

Good NFL teams have:

- a high level, established QB making a lot of $$$

- a young QB with upside on a rookie/cost controlled deal, allowing the team to spend on other spots to make a good team.

Darnold is about to get expensive and is the worst QB in the NFL.  Worst of both worlds. 

This means you have to commit $25 million to Sam too.  Absolutely not.  He hasn’t earned that type of trust.  Go with the talent of Fields, Wilson, or Lance and the convenience of the rookie contract.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, AtticusGase said:

Plus a lot of criticisms you hear about Fields also were spoken about Watson and Mahomes. 

What successful QB came out of Clemson and Texas Tech before those two?

Plus the Jets have plenty of draft picks. It’s not a situation where they have to trade up like with Darnold. 

Its one thing comparing QBs to the 2018 draft, where you had the prospect of 6 QB going in the first and a year where there are two QBs, maybe three and then pray.  

I just cant figure how you pass on the hardest position in sports to fill at the most important position in sports for any other position on the field

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

If we have the #1 pick we take Lawrence.

If we get the #2 pick I'm trading it and building around Darnold with the Offensive tackle from Oregon or the Wr from LSU.

The concept of "build around Darnold" escapes me.

Build around what exactly?  His inaccuracy?  His lousy decision making?  His gutless leadership?  His dreadful turnovers?  His constant injuries?  His upcoming overpriced 2nd contract?

There is nothing to work with...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You have to pick the right guy (not the 1st guy) and as important not have a talentless sh*t show in place around him.

The team had success with Mark Sanchez.  why?  Because most other parts of the team were in place.

And because the QB sucked they couldn't get to where every team wants to get even though they were strong at just about every unit on the field.

Except QB.  You made your own point, talent gets you so far without a real threat at QB.  

• Upvote 1

I would laugh and called Sam washed but the reality is, he wasn't ever anything but on that end of the spectrum to begin with. His sad attempt to throw the deep ball into the end zone on that final play was nothing short of funny. No chance we are keeping him and using the most valuable pick in the draft to trade for multiple pickups. NONE.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And because the QB sucked they couldn't get to where every team wants to get even though they were strong at just about every unit on the field.

Except QB.  You made your own point, talent gets you so far without a real threat at QB.  

Agreed.  It took a perfect storm of circumstances to get us close those two years with Sanchez.  Best OL in the game, best defense in the game.  And still, if the Colts don't rest Manning in week 16, we probably don't even make the playoffs in 2009.  Those two years were great.  Had a lot of fun, but it wasn't sustainable because our QB was not good enough.

I want a team built around a franchise QB that can compete for a decade.  The Bills drafted their QB and built around him.  The Browns did the same with Mayfield.  You can draft a QB and build around him.  We already have two 1s this year and 2 more next year.  If JD believes in Lawrence and Fields, then draft the QB.  And build around him.  It can be done.

• Post of the Week 2
22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The concept of "build around Darnold" escapes me.

Build around what exactly?  His inaccuracy?  His lousy decision making?  His gutless leadership?  His dreadful turnovers?  His constant injuries?  His upcoming overpriced 2nd contract?

There is nothing to work with...

If this draft had zero high end QB prospects I'd be ok giving Darnold another shot with significantly more talent and a real coach but the reality is there great QB prospects that make this conversation moot.... Unless you're an idiot like kiper.

• Upvote 3

Mel Kiper believes that high draft picks play well because they are high draft picks, and that lots of draft picks solve all of a teams problems.

It appears to be that one or more great players can make the different for a team, rather than a lot of draft picks.