The Plan

Umm, yea you aren’t getting Poole or Maye for that sort of money.  They’re going to want contracts in the 12mil/yr range, and given their level of production they would get it.  Of course no one knows what sort of COVID world the cap will be in, and what sort of downward pressure it will exert on their salaries.

Juju and Thuney are fools gold.  Thuneys having an off year (it’s reported he’s nicked up), but someone will massively overpay for him next year.  Juju wants WR1 big money, but has never shown that sort of ability or consistency.  Trey is a stud, but everyone knows that and there’s going to be a bidding war for him.  I do like your Williams pick though, that’s a much savvier pick.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hael said:

Umm, yea you aren’t getting Poole or Maye for that sort of money.  They’re going to want contracts in the 12mil/yr range, and given their level of production they would get it.  Of course no one knows what sort of COVID world the cap will be in, and what sort of downward pressure it will exert on their salaries.

Juju and Thuney are fools gold.  Thuneys having an off year (it’s reported he’s nicked up), but someone will massively overpay for him next year.  Juju wants WR1 big money, but has never shown that sort of ability or consistency.  Trey is a stud, but everyone knows that and there’s going to be a bidding war for him.  I do like your Williams pick though, that’s a much savvier pick.

12mil for Poole? In what world? He played better in 2019 and had to sign a 1 year 5m with the Jets, Slot only corners don't make double digits, as for Maye i could see some team giving 12 mil a year, not me tho.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

Not a fan of getting locked into a long term WR deal. Much rather find another young target or two to pair with Mims. It’s going to be another loaded WR class. 

We need a veteran wr for Trevor. Mim’s is coming along but he’s still raw. This is Mandatory.  JuJu, Robinson or Goodwin. Then add 2 others , Rondale Moore and Anthony Schwartz. Both can absolutely FLY.

3 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Let's go again! For the third year in the row I'm elaborating a plan that would get our beloved NY Jets in the right track and for the first time maybe win a freaking game.

Just to be clear, the ideas expressed here are just from my personal opinion and probably will not reflect what is going to happen in the future of this franchise.

Getting started -

First things first after going 0-16 and having the 32 ranked offense in the league the obvious move is to fire Adam Gase on black monday and clean house with trainers and coaches.

Coaches -

Head Coach: Joe Brady (Panthers OC) - We all know what Brady and Burrow did in LSU in 2019, but in his first season as a NFL coordinator his offense is ranked 16 in the league, even though 16 its not that impressive of a number what stands out is that known game manager Teddy Bridgewater is posing the best stats of his career, Brady's offense also helped elevate Robby Anderson's and Curtis Samuel's games to another level, its also very important to say that the best weapon on offense that the Panthers have, Christian McCaffrey, only played in three games this season. He's a brilliant offensive minded coach that will help in the development of our new FQB.

Offensive Coordinator: Mike McDaniel (49ers run game coordinator) - Mike McDaniel a Yale prodigy, is well regarded in the NFL circles as he worked behind Kyle Shanahan for 13 seasons, McDaniel helped boost the 49ers ground game to another level when the 49ers finished 2019 with three 500yard backs in the season, he's also credited with the development of Raheem Mostert turning him from a special teamer into a starting running back that rushed for 220 yards and 4 TDs on the NFC Championship Game, in 2020 the 49ers offense and team as a whole have been suffering with the injury bug as Mostert and others being sidelined for most of the year. Pairing two yound and innovative offensive minded guys will help the Jets finally have a respectable offense for the future.

Defensive Coordinator: Chris Hewitt (Ravens pass defense coordinator) - Here's where I struggled the most beacause typically you would like to pair a young head coach with a veteran DC that will take care of that whole part of the game, but in this case I choose a not so conventional solution as I name a guy that was never a DC in his career. Hewitt is Don Martindale right hand man in Baltimore for the last two season's and was in charge of coaching the DB's since 2012, the Ravens pass defense is ranked third in the league in passing yards and passing touchdowns. Hewitt has helped develop guys like Jimmy Smith and Marlon Humphrey.

Special Teams Coordinator: Brant Boyer (Jets) - I would keep Brant Boyer as the STC as he has done a good job the past seasons even though in 2019 and 2020 he has very little to work with.

Free Agency - 

Cuts: 

Henry Anderson, DE - No brainer has done nothing since Maccagnan signed him to this terrible contract.

Alex Lewis, G - Actually liked him in 2019 but could not replicate the same success in 2020 and also has some off the field issues so he's cut.

Ryan Griffin, TE - I mean talk about dead weight, the guy has 9 catches in 2020.

Greg Van Roten, G - Too inconsistent of a player.

Re Sign:

Brian Poole, CB - Has played very well for the past two seasons and is deserving of a new deal, 3 years 16M.

Marcus Maye, S - He's a starter in this league, nothing special, for the right price he can be brought back, 3 years 22,5M.

Free Agents (93M in cap):

Joe Thuney, G - He was said to be the priority for the Jets last offseason, NE tagged him not allowing we to get him, he will be 28 going to 29 next season but is still one of the best guards in the league and will make a great left side of the line with Becton, 4 years 62M (front loaded).

JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR - Why Smith-Schuster and not Allen Robinson? Age! JuJu will be 25 next season and still can replicate that great 2018 year that he had with 1400 receiving yards and 7 TDs, 5 years 77M.

Jonnu Smith, TE - We have nothing on the tight end position, even though I haven't given up on Herndon completely we need to add some weapons here, 4 years 36M.

Trey Hendrickson, DE - People talk a lot about Judon but he's old and never had a 10 sack season and probably will ask a lot to come here, Trey Hendrickson on the other end is a baller his get off this season has been very very impressive, the Saints will not have the money to pay him and he will probably hit free agency, 5 years 55M.

Jamaal Williams, RB - A backup behind Aaron Jones in GB who could start on other teams, he's a powerback who always can get you some tough yards, 3 years 10,5M.

That will leave us with about 40M in cap space still for the future and for other aditions in the secondary.

Trades:

Sam Darnold, QB - Sam is going to be traded, the question is how much the we can get for him? I still believe that JD will work some wizardry and get a second for him, for this "plan" I will have Sam traded to the Colts but is a toss for who is willing to give up something for him.

Draft - 

1st Round -

Pick 1: Trevor Lawrence, QB - Clemson. Is there something else to say at this point? He's the best QB prospect in this draft and will be the first off the board. My only point of concern with TL is that he doesn't take slides and always drops a shoulder on the defender when running, he can get a pass in college with that but in the pros is a different story, we've all seen what happened with Joe Burrow, Andrew Luck and others.

Pick 2 (Seattle): Wyatt Davis, G - Ohio State. Mauler, blue chip prospect, guards were the problem for this OL in 2020, the selection here has to be between WR or OL to help your new FQB, in this case I have Davis falling to the Jets.

2nd Round - 

Pick 1: Terrace Marshall Jr, WR - LSU. Big bodied receiver that is a threat in the RZ, was the number 3 receiver for Joe Brady's Tigers but took the next step and showed out in 2020 before he decided to opt out.

Pick 2 (Colts, Darnold trade): Rondale Moore, WR - Purdue. Eletric with the ball in his hands, he's more likely to be a slot guy in the NFL but he can flat out run! He will replace Crowder in the near future and will help in the return game.

Round 3 - 

Pick 1: Patrick Jones II, Edge - Pittsburgh. Combine will be huge for him, and I don't think he will test that well to earn a 2 or 1st round grade. He probably would have to buckle to play defensive end in the NFL.

Pick 2 (Seattle): Javonte Williams RB, UNC. Very good downhill runner who will truck people out of the field but can still make people miss in the open, this is our RB of the future.

Round 4 -

Pick 1: Elijah Molden, CB - Washington. Even though he's a slot guy in the college I see some outside potential on him, would be a steal at this point.

Round 5 -

Pick 1: Kenny Yeboah, TE - Ole Miss. Much more of a receiver than a blocker, his game reminds me of Herdorn when he didn't suck.

Pick 2: Ambry Thomas, CB - Michigan. Need bodies on the outside!

Round 6

Pick 1: Chris Rumph II, Edge - Duke. A Flyer here, he reminds me of a guy we already have in the roster in Bryce Huff.

Depth Chart -

Offense:

QBs - Trevor Lawrence - James Morgan - Mike White.

RBs - Javonte Williams - Jamaal Williams - La'Mical Perine.

WRs - Juju Smith Schuster, Denzel Mims, Terrace Marshall Jr.

Slot - Jamison Crowder, Rondale Moore.

TEs - Jonnu Smith, Chris Herndon, Kenny Yeboah.

LT - Mekhi Becton, Conor McDermott

LG - Joe Thuney, Pat Eflein

C - Connor McGovern, Josh Andrews

RG - Wyatt Davis, Josh Andrews

RT - George Fant, Chuma Edoga

Defense:

4-3

LDE - Patrick Jones II, John Franklin-Myers, Jabari Zuniga.

DT - Quinnen Williams, Foley Fatukasi, Kyle Phillips.

RDE - Trey Hendrickson, Bryce Huff, Chris Rumph II.

ILB - CJ Mosley, Neville Hewitt.

OLB - Blake Cashman, Harvey Langi, Patrick Onwuasor.

CB - Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, Elijah Molden, Ambry Thomas, Lamar Jackson.

Slot CB - Brian Poole, Elijah Molden.

FS - Marcus Maye.

SS - Ashtyn Davis.

Special Teams:

KR - Rondale Moore

PR - Rondale Moore

K - Sergio Castillo

P - Branden Mann

Overall I think that I did a very good job attacking the weaknesses on this roster, of course there's a lot to be done especially on the defense side of the ball, corner and linebackers are still major issues that will have to be adressed on future drafts.

Sorry for the gigantic post and go jets!

Not a bad overall plan, I would make a few tweaks:

- The coaching staff is too young for me.  I wouldn't hire Brady
as HC yet, he needs to prove more

- Good choices in free agency but I wouldn't sign any RB's.  They
just aren't worth it

- With the development of Elflein I would use the second #1 pick
on either a CB or edge rusher

- In the second round I would use the Darnold pick on either a CB
or edge rusher (whatever we didn't select in the first round)

We have to double/triple down on our "desert positions" (edge rusher,
CB)

• Upvote 4

Need to upgrade the starting corners and in no world should Blake Cashman be our starting LB. Schuster is another Crowder- does his damage from the slot. We need an outside guy. Don’t think it makes sense to cut Lewis and Van Roten and then spend a 1st round pick AND a huge contract on two guards. The OLine needs to be improved for sure, but that money/ draft capital needs to go at CB and OLB... or even a top RB if one’s on the draft board. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

12mil for Poole? In what world? He played better in 2019 and had to sign a 1 year 5m with the Jets, Slot only corners don't make double digits, as for Maye i could see some team giving 12 mil a year, not me tho.

He's been rated as a top cornerback in the league for two years running now.  It's not just a statistical blip (eg benefiting from having all pro safeties like Adams & Maye last year).  He's getting well over 10 million unless Covid kills the CB market.  Over the Cap estimates him at nearly 13 mil in value.

More to the point, we have absolutely *zero* competent players in our secondary that are signed for next season.  A good portion of our cap space is therefore going to have to be used to cover that glaring hole (and it's a notoriously expensive position to cover in FA).  So while it's nice to contemplate, I don't see big ticket WRs/DEs in our future, and I don't think we're going to be able to afford both Poole and Maye, unless we also give up some pretty glaring holes in our OL and the crappy depth on this team..

Keep in mind, next seasons coaching staff are going to want to bring in a few veteran players that actually have some experience in their systems.. You don't just throw a bunch of random players together like that..   So a good amount of cap space will go into paying that off as well.

Jets cap space is a little bit like last years cap space.  It seems high, but it's actually a bit of a mirage.

pretty good in some ways, i did not study all the cost numbers.  the jets are not going to get that many premium FAs, no team ever does.

One player I do not like from my limited viewing in a few games is the Rb Williams from NC, they  talked him up big time in the games and he looked like frank gore to me.  But that is 1st impressions.

No to JuJu and no to any FA RB. 

And need a definite upgrade to our secondary. Can’t go with Austin, Bryce, Poole, Davis n Maye as our secondary. Gotta add 1-2 starters there somewhere and it doesn’t matter where. Not a single guy in that pool is worth writing home about. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I appreciate anyone that takes the time to do these.  Time consuming and takes some research.

That said, signing Juju and drafting 2 WRS in the 2nd RD?  That ain't happening.  Even if they didn't have Crowder, that still wouldn't happen.  If it did, we should be upset with the GM. 

After tanking and being the 3rd team ever to go winless, you don’t wanna reward your prized pick? If we only have Mims n Crowder, I don’t really mind taking a chance on two more rookies even with JuJu. It’s a loaded class. You draft an extra guy in a loaded class so you don’t have to sign Ex Steelers WRs to monster deals in the future.

FTR, I don’t even want JuJu. Not even a one year prove it deal. I’d rather we go after a true WR1 in Allen Robinson, hands down. And then draft 1-2 WRs early on. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Trey Hendrickson, DE - People talk a lot about Judon but he's old and never had a 10 sack season and probably will ask a lot to come here, Trey Hendrickson on the other end is a baller his get off this season has been very very impressive, the Saints will not have the money to pay him and he will probably hit free agency, 5 years 55M.

Uhh... what's the comparable deal here that has him taking such a team friendly deal for the Jets?

15 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

After tanking and being the 3rd team ever to go winless, you don’t wanna reward your prized pick? If we only have Mims n Crowder, I don’t really mind taking a chance on two more rookies even with JuJu. It’s a loaded class. You draft an extra guy in a loaded class so you don’t have to sign Ex Steelers WRs to monster deals in the future.

FTR, I don’t even want JuJu. Not even a one year prove it deal. I’d rather we go after a true WR1 in Allen Robinson, hands down. And then draft 1-2 WRs early on. 

It's not about rewarding/not rewarding your QB.  It's about spending quality resources on what would amount to be your 4th WR.  Taking 1 WR in the 2nd Rd?  Sure.  The Jets have other glaring holes that should receive premium resources far before a 3rd or 4th WR. 

It's an imbalance of resources.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's not about rewarding/not rewarding your QB.  It's about spending quality resources on what would amount to be your 4th WR.  Taking 1 WR in the 2nd Rd?  Sure.  The Jets have other glaring holes that should receive premium resources far before a 3rd or 4th WR. 

We once went back 2 back safetys, but i get your point. I did this mockdraft on TDN simulator and theres was no corners that i liked at that point. But its a really valid point to go defense with that pick.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

More like an ambulance of resources. Hope they figure out the training room situation to cut back on the massive amount of injuries we always seem to have. Replace that turf while they are at it.

4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

We once went back 2 back safetys, but i get your point. I did this mockdraft on TDN simulator and theres was no corners that i liked at that point. But its a really valid point to go defense with that pick.

And that's a fair point as well.  The draft can be difficult because is it better to reach for a position of need or take the better player at position of lesser need, but still a need.  Tough decisions for sure.

• Upvote 1

Appreciate the work you put into this but you lost me as soon as you used two 2nd round picks on WRs after signing Juju. First, you're never going to get a 2nd round pick for Sam predraft. Second, you're using a 2nd round pick on what would be, in this scenario, your #4 WR lol. Why? To that point, using the second 1st rounder on a guard after signing Thuney?

So basically you're using the vast majority of your cap space AND then 1st AND 2nd round of the draft on 2 positions... 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Appreciate the work you put into this but you lost me as soon as you used two 2nd round picks on WRs after signing Juju. First, you're never going to get a 2nd round pick for Sam predraft. Second, you're using a 2nd round pick on what would be, in this scenario, your #4 WR lol. Why? To that point, using the second 1st rounder on a guard after signing Thuney?

So basically you're using the vast majority of your cap space AND then 1st and second round of the draft on 2 positions. 

Im too old to remember when we walked on the field this season with Braxton Berrios being our WR1, you draft for the future, Crowder isn't going to be here past next year, Rondale Moore is a elite athlete with game breaking speed.

53 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Though to say what his makert really will be, only one year of production and with COVID implications. I can see him going for 11 to 15m

1 year has never tempered teams before...not sure why it would now. The cap probably isn't falling as far as people are thinking on this forum either. 

1) I like your creativity with the coordinator positions, but I want more of a CEO, experienced type of head coach. I don't think Brady is ready to be the head guy in the NYC market at 31 years old. The media will eat him alive.

2) Cuts are fine.

3) FA are fine (I picked most of the same guys in my mock).

4) I ..... don't like your draft. I love Lawrence, but I can't get onboard with waiting until round 3 to address edge or CB. I don't think the offense is that far away, the biggest issue has been the QB play. On defense, the Jets have holes everywhere except IDL and maybe safety if Maye is resigned.

I think you are dreaming with your FA picks. If you haven't noticed, JD doesn't believe in paying top FA's. They are typically overpriced, and if our history is any example, they tend to disappear once they get the mega-contract. JD believes in building through the draft (hence we traded Mevis II, aka Jamal, for more draft picks) and using FA for depth. I could see him going for one or two top FA's, but ONLY IF he gets a team-friendly deal. You won't see Trumaine Johnson/Mosely type deals from JD.

I think we are two drafts away from relevance, and JD won't spend in FA until 2022 when he will finally have a decent core to build on.

2 minutes ago, viffer said:

I think we are two drafts away from relevance, and JD won't spend in FA until 2022 when he will finally have a decent core to build on.

I don't see that at all.

Browns went 0-16 in 2017 then were 7-8-1 with Hue/Williams in 2018.

After that they made a horrible decision and hired a completely inept coach in Kitchens, figured out he wasn't the answer and fired him after 1 year wisely, now they're 9-3 and flying.

Things change very quickly in the NFL. The idea that you have 3-4 year rebuilds is preposterous.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, viffer said:

I think you are dreaming with your FA picks. If you haven't noticed, JD doesn't believe in paying top FA's. They are typically overpriced, and if our history is any example, they tend to disappear once they get the mega-contract. JD believes in building through the draft (hence we traded Mevis II, aka Jamal, for more draft picks) and using FA for depth. I could see him going for one or two top FA's, but ONLY IF he gets a team-friendly deal. You won't see Trumaine Johnson/Mosely type deals from JD.

I think it's too soon to fit Douglas into any category of how he handles FA. He's been through 1 of a pandemic off season with a HC on the hot seat. I'll wait to see how he handles this coming free agency to judge. 

I think all we know is that JD sets a price and thats it, he's not gonna get into a bidding war. I'm sure though if a top OL comes free, he'll be more then willing to unload a big contract.

Nice OP!  However, I agree with others that the FA proposals are overreaching.

In the draft, the Jets need to take the best C on the board with either the Seattle first or their own 2nd. The Jets need to stop goofing around with FA JAGs in there and get a young stud to pair with Becton as the lynchpins of the line. Get a new Mangold. McGovern moves to RG to replace Van Roten.  Sure, sign Thuney for LG.

1a QB Lawrence

1b C or WR

2 C or WR (whichever was not taken in the late first).

3a OL (take the best RT or G prospect out there)

3b RB, Edge, or CB