So, Marvin Lewis.

T0mShane

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Seamless transition from Bengals ownership to the Jets. Makes too much sense.

Haha, this.

Career winning record with a loser franchise suffering from terrible organizational structure due to crappy ownership? 

Marvin Lewis is the guy to bring us those Chad Pennington like results.

9-7/10-6, a dealer in hope but never championships. 

F*** it, I'm in. I'm losing interest fast every Sunday. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've suggested Marvin Lewis.   He'd probably bring Jay Gruden with him too who at one point made Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins look like respectable QB's.   Laugh at it all you want but the guy won in Cinci and the Jets need someone who's proven they can overcome organizational ineptitude. 

I wouldnt hate it, wont lie.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I think hiring Lewis is a solid 7.

Has experience working with inept ownership and making lemons out of lemonade.

• Upvote 4

marvin lewis made the playoffs 6 times over 16 seasons including 4 in a row with that cheapskate team.  one thing you can say is they were his teams as opposed to inheriting the personnel from the previous coach like rex and even herm did.  i'm not a real fan but do recognise that the bengals are a bad place to coach and he would be a calming influence over the team and the fan base.  i don't think he'd have a love hate relationship with the ny media.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

marvin lewis made the playoffs 6 times over 16 seasons including 4 in a row with that cheapskate team.  one thing you can say is they were his teams as opposed to inheriting the personnel from the previous coach like rex and even herm did.  i'm not a real fan but do recognise that the bengals are a bad place to coach and he would be a calming influence over the team and the fan base.  i don't think he'd have a love hate relationship with the ny media.

Lewis is not my first choice at all.  He's basically a more capable Herm Edwards.

But guess what?  Herm was way better than our last 2 head coaches.  Not even close.

• Upvote 2

We are trying to get a guy that can get us a Super Bowl, right?!?   I mean that is the goal, not just to get a guy that can win some games... but not in the post season

Marvin Lewis, no thanks. If i wanted a guy to get us to 8-8, 9-7 maybe a wildcard only to lose every playoff game - hell no. Lewis had 15 years in Cinci... 

hard

pass

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've suggested Marvin Lewis.   He'd probably bring Jay Gruden with him too who at one point made Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins look like respectable QB's.   Laugh at it all you want but the guy won in Cinci and the Jets need someone who's proven they can overcome organizational ineptitude. 

I wouldnt hate it, wont lie.

.....do we want Jay Gruden as an OC? Thought he's been kinda crappy lately no?

11 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

FYI - the Jets are currently 0-12 and haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Mediocrity is a decided step UP.

Personally, I'd rather be at league-bottom garbage at 0-16 than in perennial purgatory with a coach who can't get us past the Wildcard playoff game, because at 0-16 at least you can draft better.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, I'd rather be at league-bottom garbage at 0-16 than in perennial purgatory with a coach who can't get us past the Wildcard playoff game, because at 0-16 at least you can draft better.

If you put yourself in the playoffs and consistently have a good team eventually you will break through - ask Andy Reid. Wasn't he a guy who couldn't win the big game until all of a sudden he did?

I don't think Lewis would be the best option but he's far, far from the worst.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Marvin Lewis is a good coach.  And has a track record of turning around a laughing stock.  He wouldn't be my first choice, but I certainly would not be upset.

I also think spending a few years in the college game could be beneficial for him.  Freshen him up a bit.

I believe he was on Herm's staff at ASU the past couple years, I know I saw him on the sideline.

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

If you put yourself in the playoffs and consistently have a good team eventually you will break through - ask Andy Reid. Wasn't he a guy who couldn't win the big game until all of a sudden he did?

I don't think Lewis would be the best option but he's far, far from the worst.

In Marvin Lewis's 7 playoff appearances, he hasn't won a single game.

In Andy Reid's first 7 playoff appearances, he won ten playoff games.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lewis is not my first choice at all.  He's basically a more capable Herm Edwards.

But guess what?  Herm was way better than our last 2 head coaches.  Not even close.

lewis had kitna, palmer and dalton as his main qbs with fitzy in there when palmer went down for most of a season. the other thing is that applies to both lewis and cowher is that these guys are old enough so they won't be around very long, maybe 4 years as coach.  thismeans they'll have to be grooming their successors.