So, Marvin Lewis.

T0mShane

6 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Andy Dalton vs McNabb though..

.Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Even Rex Ryan won 4 playoff games with Mark f*cking Sanchez.

Unless you want to argue that Marvin Lewis's failure to win a single playoff game lays more at the feet of the GM who built teams good enough to go 11-5, 10-6, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 10-5-1, and 12-4 those years, but not good enough to win one playoff game.

I'll relent, though, that those records may be slightly misleading, since being in a division with the Browns automatically should've gifted them two wins each season.

I get your argument about the talent Marvin may have had (and I'm not familiar with the roster that he had during his tenure) but 7 playoff appearances without a single win is a worrisome trend.

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

FYI - the Jets are currently 0-12 and haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Mediocrity is a decided step UP.

Fair enough, but mediocre 6-9 win seasons are a road to nowhere.
I'd rather be embarrassingly bad like this year with a chance to land blue chip prospects

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Unless you want to argue that Marvin Lewis's failure to win a single playoff game lays more at the feet of the GM who built teams good enough to go 11-5, 10-6, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 10-5-1, and 12-4 those years, but not good enough to win one playoff game.

I'll relent, though, that those records may be slightly misleading, since being in a division with the Browns automatically should've gifted them two wins each season.

I get your argument about the talent Marvin may have had (and I'm not familiar with the roster that he had during his tenure) but 7 playoff appearances without a single win is a worrisome trend.

Bengals are cheap. They don't have a GM(Mike Brown is listed as GM but Marvin ran the show there).

To me, the only bad loss they had was the 2015 loss vs Pitt when they were 12-4 and Burfict mentally imploded. 

He's a good coach, with a winning organization he might be great. On the Jets does he move the needle enough from zero wins to Super Bowl? Parcells moved it from one win to AFC championship game.

You need the horses to get anywhere or you are spinning your wheels. So much of this is about Joe Douglas and the football players themselves.

Winning comes with clarity of vision, ability to foster a winning culture, obsession with detail and leadership...getting everyone to follow. Is he all that?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is Trevor Lawrence we’re talking about. Let’s go big...

Cowher (HC)/ Pederson (OC)

or

Harbaugh (HC)/ Lewis (DC)

Would agree. Things to consider if the Jets get #1:

Does Lawrence sign with CAA/Sexton?

Do they take input from Lawrence on the next HC?

Does Lawrence have enough leverage to dictate that?

Does he care?

Do the Johnsons see Lawrence as a new lease on life and change up the organizational structure to focus more on football?

Do they pursue a high end, expensive coach for once?

many many questions. The franchise is at a inflection point in many ways. Never have they been this bad with this caliber of player on the horizon. 

If you want instant respectability, but don't quite want to get to the next level, Marvin Lewis is your guy. Your team will do well in the regular season every year, and you might even win division titles. Just don't buy second round playoff tickets. He is a poor man's Marty Schottenheimer. The elder Schottenheimer at least won some playoff games.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Bengals are cheap. They don't have a GM(Mike Brown is listed as GM but Marvin ran the show there).

Yeah, that doesn't make ol' Marvin look any better, lol.

That "he would've won more if he just had a better QB" argument goes out the window if he was the one actually shopping for the groceries there.

21 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

To be honest I wouldn't hate this. He isn't the sexy hire, but he's a solid coach. Overall he did well in a place where nobody does well.

Yea hiring him would be like kissing your sister.  Did he ever ever ever win a playoff game? Maybe in Madden, but I mean in the NFL?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Honestly I think the NY Jets need some new blood as HC 

No more re-treads or other teams garbage. 

Do you follow the Jets, lol  Every coach post Parcells was new blood as a HC.  Before Parcells, Carrol, Coslete, Walton, Micahels & Winner?

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Do you follow the Jets, lol  Every coach post Parcells was new blood as a HC.  Before Parcells, Carrol, Coslete, Walton, Micahels & Winner?

Do you?  How has that all worked out for us?  LOL 

Todd Bowles came from how many previous teams.

Adam Gase came from how many previous teams. 

51 years and counting..............

New blood as in not connected to any former NFL HC not a former assistant,DC or OC,equipment manager, jock washer. 

Hire someone from the college ranks thats never been in the NFL as a coach in any capacity. 

No skeletons in the closet. 

Hungry to win and make a name for themself. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

New blood as in not connected to any former NFL HC not a former assistant,DC or OC,equipment manager, jock washer. 

Hire someone from the college ranks thats never been in the NFL as a coach in any capacity. 

Well Joe, its hard to follow you here, which is it?  New blood or not.  You said you wanted new blood, no rehashes and now? 

If you want to add college coaches I left Holtz off because I assumed that would make him a rehashed HC.  

We lose with a rehash,  we want new blood.  We lost with coordinators as HC and we want rehashed coaches.

Hiring a college HC who never has been in the NFL as a coach in any capacity?  Good luck

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Matt Campbell 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Well Joe, its hard to follow you here, which is it?  New blood or not.  You said you wanted new blood, no rehashes and now? 

If you want to add college coaches I left Holtz off because I assumed that would make him a rehashed HC.  

We lose with a rehash,  we want new blood.  We lost with coordinators as HC and we want rehashed coaches.

New blood as in NFL new never has been part of any NFL coaching staff in any capacity. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

New blood as in NFL new never has been part of any NFL coaching staff in any capacity. 

Pretty much on the bottom of my list.  

Hey, lets try something that is a crap shoot just because others didnt work out for us.  

Coaching success would be a better alternative to me