Pick 25 Pick 33 Who do you want?

Wonderboy

So if we get the 1st pick - Trevor - ( we will ? )  who do we take at 25 and 33 which are 2 high profile picks.  So many excellent players will be available and we have so many needs.  And we have big bucks to add some really good talent via free agency which will obviously factor into JD's drat day decisions.   The positions of utmost need: OL across the board, mainly guard,  WR, edge, CB, RB, TE, LB.  Of course, Rome wasn't built in a day and this is no quick fix but these 2 picks can make an immediate impact.  So we have to look at IMO, our greatest needs first.  Initially, I hoped we would go offense and get Trevor weapons asap. But the defense is just putrid.  We desperately needs a corner and an edge.  On offense we need to solidify the OL, get another top flight WR to go along with Mims, a TE and a cow bell RB.  Lot of needs to say the least.  Quite the conundrum.   So do we go BPA at a position of need? Or is JD set on one particular area? Many of these guys are all over the place in the first 2 rounds mocks but these seem to be the top guys at their respective positions. So here's the list of players that will be considered with the 25 and 33 picks.  Who do you want, who don't you want and why?  

OL: C Humphries, G Wyatt Davis, C Trey Smith, T Alex Leatherwood, T Jalen Mayfield, T Cosmi, T Little, T Slater

WR: Smith, Waddle, Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Olave

CB: Wade, Adebo, Farley, Horn, Campbell, Kendrick

RB: Harris, Etienne

TE: Pitts, Friemuth

Edge: Hutchinson, Basham, Paye, Weaver, Oweh, Roussseau, Jones

• Upvote 1

I think it's hard to push for a position at a specific pick. It depends how JD's draft board looks. If he thinks a CB will fall to him in the 3rd round, take the WR/Edge in the 2nd round. If it's slim pickings at a position group, take the best player they've got in that group at that pick.

Ultimately if we can take perhaps two WRs in Free Agency, we could afford to take CB and/or DE in Round 2/3.

As an example, here's how the Bills filled out their skill group - in two years:

• Brown: 2019 FA
  • Beasley: 2019 FA
  • Knox: 2019 draft
  • Singletary: 2019 draft
  • Diggs: 2020 trade
  • Moss: 2020 draft
  • Davis: 2020 draft

We could do worse that to follow that schema.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

25 and 33 are foundation picks and should be targeted at greatest positions of need.  That's why I'd go with Wyatt Davis and BPA at the CB position.  I know a lot of people don't like taking a RB so high and its hard to argue that point.  A OL of Becton, Elfin,  McGovern, Davis, Fant isn't to shabby. And a solid top prospect at CB immediately improves the secondary.         

i go offense with these picks - ol/wr/te - build a solid offensive side of the ball to set the foundation for next qb - the defense can suck for one more year - we have two number one picks in 2022 draft - then we can fill holes on defense- ain’t going to be one year fix - also i like bryce hall as at least number two cb - we have money to try and sign number 1 cb - may not be able to but i still use premium picks on offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Post of the Week 2

At 25 I want Waddle or Etienne then OL at 33(although I would bet the house that JD trades down here since he can really get extra value for this high profile pick). 

Waddle is the best WR in this draft and I'm hoping the injury makes him drop to us here. Etienne is today's prototypical NFL back who can do it all. The Jets haven't had a back in years with SPEED that can get edge and be a constant threat in the passing game. 

Harris is a good back but I don't like him nearly as much as others on this board and IMO would be a reach here with either pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Free agency always dictates need in the draft. JD is pretty set in the way he determines cost/value. 

I think he targets 1 Olineman in free agency, Thuney or Scherff & 1 veteran WR (Robinson, Juju, or Godwin). We need a Center badly, McGovern doesn't hold up & would be better served sliding into RG, so I see JD going at 25 the best offensive playmaker available that is NOT a RB. It's going to be either Waddle, Smith, Moore or Pitts (who I think is long gone), best TEs usually go mid 1st.  Also think JD will move on from Crowder (saves 10.5 million) and target 1 free agent pass rusher (Judon or Hendrickson). 

After taking Lawrence & a stud WR, #33 is a trade back. JD will be working the phones all night, this is a deep draft & there will be at least 10 really good prospects at #33, and with JD having a Center in mind we trade back at #33 & still get our man (similar to the Mims move) and draft a Josh Myers type of Center. 

At this point you've added a lot of bodies over 2 years to the Oline, Becton, Fant, Clark, McGovern, Eiflin, Myers. 

Its time to turn your attention to CB, Edge & LBs, and trading out of #33 tells me we still have a #2, and most likely added another #3 giving us three #3s. You can make hay with this capital & get some REALLY GOOD LBs in this area. And, don't forget Darnold trade which most likely is #2 & #4? Giving us two 2nds & two 4s. This draft could be EPIC! 

With so many picks we could see JD take a flyer on Justin Ross? Can you imagine if this kid makes it all the back & reunites with Trevor in the NFL?

I don’t know who the jets should pick.  I think I’d stay away from a rb and probably te and guard.  That leaves edge, cb, and wr. The picks are close so they could basically flip a coin as to what position to fill with which pick.  The key is to find the guys that will make an immediate impact.

one thing will really help the selections is if they can finally assess Clark and if Zuniga starts to play better.

• Upvote 1

It’s really hard to say who at this stage. The names we are talking about are coming from the media, and as teams start to get farther into the process and the talking heads get better info we’ll have a better feel for where things stand.

That said, position wise I’d hope they lean towards WR or TE, with edge and interior OL following those and CB and RB significantly after those. Tackle is in that top tier if they cut Fant, which depending on how the market looks with the lower cap next year may make sense.

I think taking a premium position is important as is figuring out where the team really needs help and what makes sense at the beginning stages of the rebuild with a rookie QB. Premium position is particularly key with the first round pick where you get that fifth year option.

I’d prefer offense but gets pushed up for me because of the finances of the position and interior OL gets kicked down for the flip side of the same reason.

I also think there’s something to be said for OL continuity so while I’m generally very on board for an upgrade on the line - between that and finances, if they’re taking somebody with the late 1 or early 2 they need to be very confident he’s walking in ready to play and talented enough to be a clear upgrade. 

Regarding running back I just don’t think it’s the right time in the rebuild. Get by with a FA and draft somebody with one of the threes. Once the franchise is established as a playoff team and other pieces are in place, a RB in that range as a cheap contract with some athleticism makes sense. I just don’t think it’s a premium enough position where you’re hoping to just consistently be competitive when the guy is a) looking for his second contract and b) probably fading on the back end of that second contract. Just don’t think it makes fiscal sense. Want long term building blocks with those selections. Roster is too bad not to aim for that.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know who the jets should pick.  I think I’d stay away from a rb and probably te and guard.  That leaves edge, cb, and wr. The picks are close so they could basically flip a coin as to what position to fill with which pick.  The key is to find the guys that will make an immediate impact.

one thing will really help the selections is if they can finally assess Clark and if Zuniga starts to play better.

The Clark thing is starting to piss me off. This guy was supposed to be a mauler, tough & a Captain on his team? Where the hell is he? I must say, Eiflin looks damn good at Guard & if he pans out at LG, we might not be seeing JD spending ridiculous money on a Thuney & instead see him continue to build from the draft. There are going to be A LOT of Guards available especially if he comes out of the 2nd round with 3 third round picks! 1st pick in the 3rd round can definitely be a blue chip stud Guard!

• Upvote 2

I would love to get another tackle with the first. Fant has been good but it seems you have to spend a first to get a OT that is starter material. There also always seems to be interior oline in the 2-3rd rounds that can start immediately. With the 2nd I would love to get Najee Harris. I feel like a RB would pair better with Trevor more so than a WR. I believe Mims could potentially become a one plus we could add someone in FA. Trade Darnold for a 2 and a 5, take the best CB with the late two and go interior oline and WR with the two 3s. 2022 Draft take the best edge available (maybe Wilson gets hurt early and that is a top 10 pick, you never know what could happen) and a CB with the two firsts. 

Based upon the current roster, I would love to see those two picks being used to support our new QB,  Ideally, WR or OL, but I also would not discount taking a stud RB -- Etienne or Harris at 33.  Taking Chubb and Mayfield in the same draft has worked out pretty well for Cleveland, so pairing RB and QB could be an option for us.

I don't care if the defense sucks next year -- we need to put our QB in a position to succeed.  Does not matter who that QB might be -- Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Darnold, Morgan, Lance, someone else -- we need to use reousrce to build around him.

This all depends on what we do in FA; if we add enough to the offense through FA and trade, then edge or CB could come into play.  But based on the roster today.  I really want to go offense with the first 3 picks.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone watched the Jets play defense this year?  

It all depends on who is signed in free agency.  I’m hoping Douglas goes after an edge in free agency.  Not sure if there is a CB who can be penciled in as a starter.  There is also a good chance he signs a #1 receiver.  That said I would hope for...

• Trevor Lawrence
  • CB - Kendrick, Clemson, Stokes, Georgia
  • IOL - Wyatt Davis
  • WR
  • ILB
  • BPA
  • BPA
  • BPA
  • Upvote 1

Any combination of CB, EDGE, WR and IOL. Ideally IOL and CB. Our secondary is the worst unit on the team. And that includes QB.

This is a deep receiver draft, there will be value at the top of the third round. And hopefully we can land one of the big ticket WRs that look to be available in FA this offseason.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ncjetman said:

i go offense with these picks - ol/wr/te - build a solid offensive side of the ball to set the foundation for next qb - the defense can suck for one more year - we have two number one picks in 2022 draft - then we can fill holes on defense- ain’t going to be one year fix - also i like bryce hall as at least number two cb - we have money to try and sign number 1 cb - may not be able to but i still use premium picks on offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree, but if JD went for a corner with one of those, I could not complain.

I also don't have a problem if he trades down from #33 to accumulate an additional 3rd, or more picks in 2022.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

So if we get the 1st pick - Trevor - ( we will ? )  who do we take at 25 and 33 which are 2 high profile picks.  So many excellent players will be available and we have so many needs.  And we have big bucks to add some really good talent via free agency which will obviously factor into JD's drat day decisions.   The positions of utmost need: OL across the board, mainly guard,  WR, edge, CB, RB, TE, LB.  Of course, Rome wasn't built in a day and this is no quick fix but these 2 picks can make an immediate impact.  So we have to look at IMO, our greatest needs first.  Initially, I hoped we would go offense and get Trevor weapons asap. But the defense is just putrid.  We desperately needs a corner and an edge.  On offense we need to solidify the OL, get another top flight WR to go along with Mims, a TE and a cow bell RB.  Lot of needs to say the least.  Quite the conundrum.   So do we go BPA at a position of need? Or is JD set on one particular area? Many of these guys are all over the place in the first 2 rounds mocks but these seem to be the top guys at their respective positions. So here's the list of players that will be considered with the 25 and 33 picks.  Who do you want, who don't you want and why?  

OL: C Humphries, G Wyatt Davis, C Trey Smith, T Alex Leatherwood, T Jalen Mayfield, T Cosmi, T Little, T Slater

WR: Smith, Waddle, Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Olave

CB: Wade, Adebo, Farley, Horn, Campbell, Kendrick

RB: Harris, Etienne

TE: Pitts, Friemuth

Edge: Hutchinson, Basham, Paye, Weaver, Oweh, Roussseau, Jones

I'm certainly no expert on college football but absolutely not a RB.  If there's an impact OL then I think we'd have to go for that.  Assuming we're able to draft Trevor, priority 1 has to be to protect him. The draft isn't the only way to acquire these players, of course, and I'll trust Joe D's judgment, but as a general thought, I hope we prioritize OL.  

• Upvote 1

Need to take premium positions with premium picks, which these are. Assuming QB has already been taken, the next two picks should come from the WR, Edge, CB, OT groups. I suspect that JD, going LT and WR with his first two picks as a GM, gets it. 

I understand the sex appeal of a hot, young RB, but that's a job that can be done by just about anyone behind a competent OL, and can usually be filled with spare change in free agency. Picking one up in the third or later is fine, though. If there's an interior OL there that's head & shoulders above the premium position prospects available, you can make that move, though. The building of the OL needs to be a priority, one I'd expect to be hit aggressively in FA. 

Like last year, I'd be content with the first four or five picks being on offense. I could spend a year watching 42-38 football games, but I don't think JD will do that. 

• Upvote 3

FA WR = Allen Robinson. 

FA O-Lineman = Joe Thuney @ LG. 

#1 overall = Trevor Lawrence. 

Seattle Pick = Rondale Moore (WR). 

2nd round = Najee Harris. 

QB: Trevor Lawrence. 

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

LG: Joe Thuney. 

WR 1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: Rondale Moore. 

WR 2: Denzel Mims. 

WR 4: Jamison Crowder. 

RB: Najee Harris (the next Adrian Peterson). 

This would create for 8 awesome offensive weapons to build around (when Jamison Crowder is your 4th WR option you know you're doing something right around the QB position). 

And suddenly (out of nowhere/overnight) we'll have a Jets offense that Jet fans can be excited about come Sunday's. 

(2022 is the year where we use both first round picks on Defense @ CB/Edge). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm certainly no expert on college football but absolutely not a RB.  If there's an impact OL then I think we'd have to go for that.  Assuming we're able to draft Trevor, priority 1 has to be to protect him. The draft isn't the only way to acquire these players, of course, and I'll trust Joe D's judgment, but as a general thought, I hope we prioritize OL.  

See, I like a running back late one, early 2.

A good running back takes pressure off the QB, gives him an outlet to throw to, and running backs tend to be in their prime for the first 4-5 years of their career.

It also depends on what JD gets in FA, I do believe a LOT of players will shake loose, and salaries will go down for the majority of them.

the best wr and best rb available

dont set up trevor to fail like sam 

joe you promised sam and his parents and lied to them dont lie to Trevor

this team has trash rbs and trash wrs(fans keep like pumping up the jets wrs-they suck -the only one who has decent stats is crowder-he is a wr 3 at best though.

Mims may have talent but is getting way overhyped-you are what your stats say you are and in his first year he has under 20 catches, under 350 yards and zero tds-you can make all of the excuses you want for him-young , hurt often, bad qb but his production has been poor at best 

• Upvote 1

In the NFL you need to be great on one side of the ball and halfway decent at the other. With the new QB, you need to try to make the offense the great thing since that is usually what the winning teams are great at. 

The top of this draft is where we should focus on offense. The rest of the draft, next years free agent class and draft class is where you can shade toward the D (ask Shane about this, he knows) 

Is it possible to sign Ngakoue and Robinson and Thuney this offseason? Is that feasible?

If we sign Robinson or Schuster, then I'm dead set against drafting another receiver.

• Upvote 1