Carton to host "responsible" gambling radio show

Bugg

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Like having an alcoholic review beer, wine and liquor; this won't end well..

https://nypost.com/2020/12/10/craig-carton-to-host-responsible-gambling-show-on-wfan/

It's a show about the dangers of gambling. He is EXACTLY the guy you want hosting a show about responsible gambling.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It's a show about the dangers of gambling. He is EXACTLY the guy you want hosting a show about responsible gambling.

Broadly you may be right. But sounds very much like a narcissist  turning a nominally anonymous support program into a business opportunity all about ME. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Broadly you may be right. But sounds very much like a narcissist  turning a nominally anonymous support program into a business opportunity all about ME. 

He was shilling for his "Rehab Facility" the other day. Some of the things that he's been saying the couple of times that I've tuned in since he came back is pre-packaged, formulaic, thinly veiled 12-Step brainwashed speak that I recognize from a million miles away. I wish him luck, but why anyone would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on something they can get for free in a Church basement is beyond me. "We have a holistic, full body approach." GTFO of here.

A big part of this pervasive national scam is that the legal system recognizes this nonsense as "treatment", so people are often stuck with the pyrrhic choice of something that does not work for them or . . . go to jail. To top it off, insurance companies pay for this garbage, garbage that's not Science-based whatsoever while people who have terminal cancer, for i.e., can't get "experimental drugs" covered and because they can't afford it. What is wrong with this picture?

The rate of recidivism does not justify "Rehab" being a covered benefit by any stretch. It's a tremendous historical failure that continues to fail people. I wish Craig Carton well, but if he steers clear, he'd probably be better off. Albert Ellis is your friend. The funny part about all of this is that Bill W used to drop acid and was way ahead of the curve. The lunatics don't like to talk about that part because it doesn't fit their dialogue. Stay strong and clear, stay clean and strong. It can be done without becoming addicted to something more benign.

"It's not the program, it's the people." No, it's the program alright. I have one hell of an axe to grind and I'll never stop grinding it. You can't bring people who shouldn't be dead back to life but you can stand up for them symbolically as a poor man's substitute.

• Upvote 2

I know a lot of people don't like Joe Benigno and/or Mike Franchesa but they were much better than the garbage on the Fan now.  I can't stand big mouth Carton.  Don't find him amusing or entertaining or knowledgeable about sports.  Just a big mouth wise guy.  It's all about him all the time.  Now he's going to lecture about the evils of gambling.  I think I'll pass.  BTW, I can't stand the Michael Kay Show either.  Greenie at mid day is OK and I can take a little of Bart Scott and Hahn.  That's it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

He was shilling for his "Rehab Facility" the other day. Some of the things that he's been saying the couple of times that I've tuned in since he came back is pre-packaged, formulaic, thinly veiled 12-Step brainwashed speak that I recognize from a million miles away. I wish him luck, but why anyone would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on something they can get for free in a Church basement is beyond me. "We have a holistic, full body approach." GTFO of here.

A big part of this pervasive national scam is that the legal system recognizes this nonsense as "treatment", so people are often stuck with the pyrrhic choice of something that does not work for them or . . . go to jail. To top it off, insurance companies pay for this garbage, garbage that's not Science-based whatsoever while people who have terminal cancer, for i.e., can't get "experimental drugs" covered and because they can't afford it. What is wrong with this picture?

The rate of recidivism does not justify "Rehab" being a covered benefit by any stretch. It's a tremendous historical failure that continues to fail people. I wish Craig Carton well, but if he steers clear, he'd probably be better off. Albert Ellis is your friend. The funny part about all of this is that Bill W used to drop acid and was way ahead of the curve. The lunatics don't like to talk about that part because it doesn't fit their dialogue. Stay strong and clear, stay clean and strong. It can be done without becoming addicted to something more benign.

"It's not the program, it's the people." No, it's the program alright. I have one hell of an axe to grind and I'll never stop grinding it. You can't bring people who shouldn't be dead back to life but you can stand up for them symbolically as a poor man's substitute.

Know people that have worked the 12 step very successfully. It's not the only way, and it simply doesn't work for everyone. And some of those people were doing really dumb things that once you grow up a bit were going to fall by the wayside anyway. Still, gave them a way out.

But to each his own. Don't think it's a scam, but have seen "professionally" where the in criminal cases the program becomes an end in itself well after the person did grow up. Don't agree with anything about BLM spare they are very correct that people with drug problems adjudicated in our courts often find themselves on a treadmill that benefits NOBODY but bureaucrats and programs and their administrators. 

Also seen people go through rehab numerous times and then one day simply get sick and tired of living like an a-hole and grow up. There are any number of ways to become a productive adult.

Sadly there are some people who never get out. 

There is something very unseemly about a guy 5 minutes out of jail and still in hock for millions in restitution pimping out a rehab center and pretending he has solved all his pathologies. I don't wish him any ill, simply looks like setting himself up for a fall. 

28 minutes ago, TMAC said:

I know a lot of people don't like Joe Benigno and/or Mike Franchesa but they were much better than the garbage on the Fan now.  I can't stand big mouth Carton.  Don't find him amusing or entertaining or knowledgeable about sports.  Just a big mouth wise guy.  It's all about him all the time.  Now he's going to lecture about the evils of gambling.  I think I'll pass.  BTW, I can't stand the Michael Kay Show either.  Greenie at mid day is OK and I can take a little of Bart Scott and Hahn.  That's it.

I was a big fan of Joe B. and Mike, I think because they were unlikable made it interesting in a weird way

I am in what appears to be the minority on the forum and enjoy WFAN very much. However, this is one of the dumbest things I have seen in a long time. Like not only is this ill advised but who wants to listen to this show? My prediction is that it ends up being Carton telling fabricated stories about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in a glorifying manner and then he finishes the segment saying... do not do that. This points to issues with the station, how is this getting air time instead of Richard Neer, Jody , Chris Moore and we can go down the line.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

I agree. Nobody loves the sound of Carton's voice as much as Carton. I don't hate the guy, but I haven't heard a single Carton and Roberts, and don't plan on it.

• Sympathy 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, FidelioJet said:

I was in my car today and even though I can't stand him I thought maybe I would give the new show a shot

No exaggerating, I lasted about 10 seconds.

As soon as I tuned in - he starred talking about "reach arounds" I immediately turned it off - and won't go back again. 

He’s virtually unlistenable. As ridiculous as beningo was he was way better than this. He’s so aggressive. Ten seconds is an a accomplishment 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, TMAC said:

Greenie - vomit ? vomit ? vomit ? even worse than carton If that’s possible 

I miss listening to actual sports on afternoon drive without Carton trying to turn it into the radio variety hour.  Congrats WFAN you've finally turned me into an ESPN listener, and those guys aren't that good either.

Say what you will about Benigno, he and Roberts were still way better than this.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, Bugg said:

Like having an alcoholic review beer, wine and liquor; this won't end well..

https://nypost.com/2020/12/10/craig-carton-to-host-responsible-gambling-show-on-wfan/

Kind of like MM moderation management. Worked out really well huh.

Moderation Management™ (MM) was founded by Audrey Kishline in 1994, as an organization for non-dependent problem drinkers to help maintain moderate alcohol use. As Kishline developed the MM program and membership grew, she struggled with her own drinking, ultimately seeking abstinence via Alcoholics Anonymous, SMART Recovery and Women for Sobriety meetings while continuing to support MM for others. In March 2000, while drunk, she drove her truck the wrong way down a highway, and hit another vehicle head-on killing its two passengers (a father and his twelve-year-old daughter). She served 3.5 years of her 4.5 year sentence and was released in August 2003. Kishline committed suicide at the age of 59 on December 19th, 2014.

On 12/11/2020 at 8:29 AM, Bugg said:

Responsible gambling. LOL. He is not. Any other person would never have gotten another shot to resurrect their career and this clown is hosting a show about 'responsible gambling'. I don't blame Carlton here but the producers for allowing this nonsense.  Carlton is a gambling addict.  Dude is clueless but then again so are the producers.  10 to 1 he falls flat on his azz again.  Now that's a responsible gamble. 

15 minutes ago, Jetset said:

If unlistenable is a word, that's what would best describe Carton. 

That is the description for the entire station. For so many years, the FAN was "must listen to"radio. Now it's become avoid at all costs. I don't know how they are still in business. Who would pay to advertise on that sh*thole?

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

Know people that have worked the 12 step very successfully. It's not the only way, and it simply doesn't work for everyone. And some of those people were doing really dumb things that once you grow up a bit were going to fall by the wayside anyway. Still, gave them a way out.

But to each his own. Don't think it's a scam, but have seen "professionally" where the in criminal cases the program becomes an end in itself well after the person did grow up. Don't agree with anything about BLM spare they are very correct that people with drug problems adjudicated in our courts often find themselves on a treadmill that benefits NOBODY but bureaucrats and programs and their administrators. 

Also seen people go through rehab numerous times and then one day simply get sick and tired of living like an a-hole and grow up. There are any number of ways to become a productive adult.

Sadly there are some people who never get out. 

There is something very unseemly about a guy 5 minutes out of jail and still in hock for millions in restitution pimping out a rehab center and pretending he has solved all his pathologies. I don't wish him any ill, simply looks like setting himself up for a fall. 

I've worked with countless addicts.  Addiction is a very personal, intricate disease.  What I've learned working with these people is that their recovery is contingent on their willingness to get better, to change. It's really all on the individual.  You can always punch holes into anything.  There are countless books written about 'cures' for addiction as to how this works and that doesn't work.  Laughable at best since the majority of them are written by people who have never experienced addiction or are disgruntled by the process of getting sober.  What a lot of people don't understand is addiction is a comprehensive disease that affects EVERY facet of an individual's life.  Developmental, physical, mental, emotional, psychological, experiential, spiritual etc etc etc.  It is a life long process to undertake and one that never stops.  I try to live by certain principles, one of which is to talk about things I know about versus thinking I know it all.  This is no criticism here, just a heads up to someone who may be pondering the idea of seeking help and keeping an open mind.

You can’t understand someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”
The person who first uttered this American saying is lost to history. The fact that it’s so well known is a good indication of the importance of empathy in living a meaningful life.

Any intelligent discussion on humanity will, at some point, deal with the importance of truly empathizing with others to understand them completely. Here are a few notable quotes on the subject:

“If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you’ll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 
– Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

In A View of the Evidences of Christianity (1794), William Paley wrote:

“The infidelity of the Gentile world, and that more especially of men of rank and learning in it, is resolved into a principle which, in my judgment, will account for the inefficacy of any argument, or any evidence whatever, viz. contempt prior to examination.” 

• Upvote 1