I'm rooting for Sam Darnold to win the next 4 games

hamat711

A few years ago, fans of QB needy teams were shouting "suck for sam". Before Lawrence, many were considering Sam as the next big thing. Sam might not be in the same tier as Lawrence/Luck, but he was one of the highest graded prospects this decade.

Many here believe Lawrence will solve most of the Jets' problem, but that is false. The Jets have many underlying issues that will be masked if the they get Lawrence. If Sam plays the Jets out of the range of the top QBs, the Jets will be forced to address many of their underlying issues.

Everybody except for some homers knew the Jets offense would be awful this year. What we didn't know, was how bad the defense would be. The regression of the defense is mainly on Joe Douglas after whiffing on all his DB signings, trading away Jamal, and not addressing the pass rush.  I kept on telling people on this board that the O-line barely got better and the WRs got worse, and very few believed me. Many in the media said it would be unfair to judge Darnold this year. 

So why are people shocked that Sam is performing poorly? The kid deserves a fair shot, and the Jets never gave it to him.

Sam deserves a lot of blame for his regression, but the Jets tried their hardest to make it impossible for him. 

1. He was playing for a lame duck HC and had to learn a new system after his first year.

2. The Jets hired Adam Gase, who had failed to develop Ryan Tannehill, to develop Sam Darnold. It's sad how stupid this decision was.

3. The Jets then hired Joe Douglas, who did the bare minimum to help his young QB, because he wouldn't be held accountable for his performance. 

Luck retired because his franchise couldn't protect him. Stafford has one of the most underwhelming careers for a franchise QB because the organization is dysfunctional. Burrow's leg got destroyed because the Bengals couldn't protect him. Justin Herbert is losing despite having the best rookie season of all time.

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 18
  • Haha 3

I admire your passion but this is likely to get you a bunch of down votes. This place is all in on Trevor. We have even had threads on how long do we give Lawrence if he sucks. 

Sam did deserve better than what the Jets provided but his time here is done or near done. If the Jets keep him, next season will be his last barring a miracle turnaround. He is too damaged to continue here. Maybe he wasn't good to begin with but I think it's more to do with him not trust g his protection will hold up from all the jailbreak pass rushes he has seen. He doesn't see the pass rush as he should now, even when he get protection. I think that will change at his next stop. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

A few years ago, fans of QB needy teams were shouting "suck for sam". Before Lawrence, many were considering Sam as the next big thing. Sam might not be in the same tier as Lawrence/Luck, but he was one of the highest graded prospects this decade.

Many here believe Lawrence will solve most of the Jets' problem, but that is false. The Jets have many underlying issues that will be masked if the they get Lawrence. If Sam plays the Jets out of the range of the top QBs, the Jets will be forced to address many of their underlying issues.

Everybody except for some homers knew the Jets offense would be awful this year. What we didn't know, was how bad the defense would be. The regression of the defense is mainly on Joe Douglas after whiffing on all his DB signings, trading away Jamal, and not addressing the pass rush.  I kept on telling people on this board that the O-line barely got better and the WRs got worse, and very few believed me. Many in the media said it would be unfair to judge Darnold this year. 

So why are people shocked that Sam is performing poorly? The kid deserves a fair shot, and the Jets never gave it to him.

Sam deserves a lot of blame for his regression, but the Jets tried their hardest to make it impossible for him. 

1. He was playing for a lame duck HC and had to learn a new system after his first year.

2. The Jets hired Adam Gase, who had failed to develop Ryan Tannehill, to develop Sam Darnold. It's sad how stupid this decision was.

3. The Jets then hired Joe Douglas, who did the bare minimum to help his young QB, because he wouldn't be held accountable for his performance. 

Luck retired because his franchise couldn't protect him. Stafford has one of the most underwhelming careers for a franchise QB because the organization is dysfunctional. Burrow's leg got destroyed because the Bengals couldn't protect him. Justin Herbert is losing despite having the best rookie season of all time.

I really like Sam, I want to see him succeed. My issues are with how Mac, Idzik, Gase, and the Johnson's have handled him. Our roster should be full of talent from drafts this past decade but we are a barren waste land. With Sam's contract right around the corner and a generational prospect potentially within reach on a cheap rookie contract, the right time to move on is now.

Lawrence/Fields will not be in the same situation Sam was put in, they will have a better HC (0-16 leaves lots of room for growth) along with $80M and loads of high draft picks. Sam got a raw deal here, he is partially to blame but hitching our wagon to a QB that may not turn it around and blow our opportunity on drafting someone with the potential of Lawrence would set this franchise back another 5 years at least. Where as keeping Sam in a best case situation gives us a Super Bowl window of 1 season before his big money kicks in.

• Upvote 1

I really can't stand how Sam Darnold apologists point to Tannehill under Gase as some type of excuse for Sam Darnold under Gase. 

Sam just stinks. 

Tannehill under Gase: Winning record of 13-11 (2 games above .500) 437/663 (65.9%), 4,974 passing yards (7.5 yards per pass attempt), 36 TD's/21 INTs and a respectable QB Rating of 93.2. 

S. Darnold under Gase: Losing record of 7-14 (7 games below .500), 415/682 (60.9%), 4,452 passing yards (6.5 yards per pass attempt), 24 TD's/22 INTs and a laughable QB Rating of 78.3. 

I despise Adam Gase and I'm sorry but Ryan Tannehill is just an overall much better NFL QB than Sam Darnold could ever become (with or without "Gase") and has been nothing more than yet another USC bust QB. 

He stinks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I really can't stand how Sam Darnold apologists point to Tannehill under Gase as some type of excuse for Sam Darnold under Gase. 

Sam just stinks. 

Tannehill under Gase: Winning record of 13-11 overall (2 games above .500) 437/663 (65.9%), 4,974 passing yards (7.5 yards per pass attempt), 36 TD's/21 INTs and a respectable QB Rating of 93.2. 

Darnold under Gase: Losing record of 7-14 overall (7 games below .500), 415/682 (60.9%), 4,452 passing yards (6.5 yards per pass attempt), 24 TD's/22 INTs and a laughable QB Rating of 78.3. 

I despise Adam Gase and I'm sorry but Ryan Tannehill is a much better NFL QB than Sam Darnold could ever become (with or without "Gase") and has been nothing more than yet another USC bust QB. 

He stinks. 

He’s no Jamal Adams.

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I hope Darnold throws 4 td's each game and the jets go 0-4. 

If Sam can't throw at least 3 TDs against the worst Seattle NFL pass defense of All-Time (as Jet fans have reminded me of all year); well then there's something seriously wrong with the kid as a QB (maybe he can be moved to Fullback like Tim Tebow or go back to being a Linebacker). 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

If Sam can't throw at least 3 TDs against the worst Seattle NFL pass defense of All-Time (as Jet fans have reminded me of all year); well then there's something seriously wrong with the kid as a QB (maybe he can be moved to Fullback like Tim Tebow or go back to being a Linebacker). 

Kyler only threw 2, bust?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I am not sure that I have seen anyone suggest that drafting Lawrence will solve the Jets problems.  Along with Lawrence, we need to upgrade the skill positions.  We have no reliable TEs or RBs on the roster.  The OL needs to be upgraded.  Our CBs are all question marks except for Poole and he is on a one year deal.  We have no pass rush.  And we need to upgrade the coaching staff.  Lawrence may be part of a rebuild. 

I don't think anyone believes that all we need to do is draft Lawrence and we are an instant contender.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I admire your passion but this is likely to get you a bunch of down votes. This place is all in on Trevor. We have even had threads on how long do we give Lawrence if he sucks. 

Sam did deserve better than what the Jets provided but his time here is done or near done. If the Jets keep him, next season will be his last barring a miracle turnaround. He is too damaged to continue here. Maybe he wasn't good to begin with but I think it's more to do with him not trust g his protection will hold up from all the jailbreak pass rushes he has seen. He doesn't see the pass rush as he should now, even when he get protection. I think that will change at his next stop. 

The Jets never played to Sam's strengths either. He has some mobilty yet it is never used to complement the running game or to move the pocket. I'm not even sure if you guys practice scramble drills.

Gase is treating Darnold like he is Peyton Manning and that is one of the biggest problems. It doesn't even look like Darnold has much freedom in the system.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Kyler only threw 2, bust?

Kyler Murray is a 2nd year kid who's already ranked top 10 in QB Rating this year (better than 22 NFL starters). 

Sam Darnold is a 3rd year bust who's now rated 41st in QB Rating this year (worse than 9 NFL backups). 

Feature.jpg.532c25d6904cb6fbfa2c97e7a03f3a25.jpg

PS:

Murray threw 2 TDs against Seattle in 1 game. 

Sam has thrown 2 TD's COMBINED over the past 5 games...

440514756_tenor(6).gif.eee5cce1d6433797cf741b2c0730f21b.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Kyler Murray is a 2nd year kid who's already ranked top 10 in QB Rating this year (better than 22 NFL starters). 

Sam Darnold is a 3rd year bust who's now rated 41st in QB Rating this year (worse than 9 NFL backups). 

PS:

I don’t get it, shouldn’t he have thrown for more than your bottom level threshold against that bad of a defense?

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

PS:

I guess you didn't see his last game where he had 2 TD passes and ran for one. 

We know you don't like him but get your facts straight. 

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sam just stinks. 

Tannehill under Gase: Winning record of 13-11 (2 games above .500) 437/663 (65.9%), 4,974 passing yards (7.5 yards per pass attempt), 36 TD's/21 INTs and a respectable QB Rating of 93.2. 

S. Darnold under Gase: Losing record of 7-14 (7 games below .500), 415/682 (60.9%), 4,452 passing yards (6.5 yards per pass attempt), 24 TD's/22 INTs and a laughable QB Rating of 78.3. 

I despise Adam Gase and I'm sorry but Ryan Tannehill is just an overall much better NFL QB than Sam Darnold could ever become (with or without "Gase") and has been nothing more than yet another USC bust QB. 

He stinks. 

Your comparison isn't fair. By the time Tannehill was with Gase, Tannehill was already in his 5th year. Comparing stats of a players 2nd and 3rd year to a 5 year vet isn't fair. Those Miami teams also had talent, unlike the Jets.

If you dive deeper, Tannehill's per game averages were constantly going up before Gase. Once Gase arrived his yards per game dropped by drastically. Tannehill was a better player before Gase, and was slowly regressing under Gase's system. 

Ryan Tannehill averaged 255 yards per game before Gase came to Miami. That even includes his rookie year. This time frame should be when his stats are the worst.

Under Adam Gase, Ryan Tannehills yards per game dropped to 220. That is the same as Tannehill's rookie year.