Sam never learned what to do pre-snap

jetscrazey

24 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

There's an old psych experiment where they took dogs and put them on one side of a fence, with meat on the other.

The dogs instinctively tried to dig under the fence to get the food.

Eventually, the researchers trained the dogs to search for a hole in the fence to get to the food.

The dogs learned this rather easily, and demonstrated reliably that they could do what they were taught and get the food efficiently.

Then, the researchers starved the dogs and re-ran the trials.

The dogs all returned to their instincts, forgot what they'd learned, and started digging under the fence for the food.

Well at least their coaches could figure out where the hole was.

That's actually very interesting though.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Umm, I did not say that. I responded to that post. I certainly did not say it. I actually have no opinion on Lawrence yet as we still have not secured the first pick yet.

Hey, MY bad, sorry.  I copied and pasted DWCs dumb assed comments in one of his posts but from your quoting his post so it tagged your name to it.

Sorry, Ill try to fix it 

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Have you ever seen Sam give a hard dummy count to see where the blitz is coming from so he could audible away from it?  Just feels like he goes through the motions presnap.  By year 3 he should have been further along than this and I can’t just put it on the Jets.  

Look who has been “developing” him 

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's sad to say, but Trevor Lawrence, at the age of only 5 years old (a generational child phenom) knew how to read a defense better than a 20 something year old Sam Darnold who just wet the bed againt 

This is pure nonsense.

Can you stop already with the loony observations you think are real 

I love Lawrence but if you think reading the two defensive plays he saw as a 5 year old has anything to do with college bal or has anything in common with pro ball you need to end it all.  And all the pointless pictures does nothing to prove your points  

@johnnysd

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This is pure nonsense.

Can you stop already with the loony observations you think are real 

I love Lawrence but if you think reading the two defensive plays he saw as a 5 year old has anything to do with college bal or has anything in common with pro ball you need to end it all.  And all the pointless pictures does nothing to prove your points  

@johnnysd

Guess my sarcasm of TL @ 5 years old completely went over your head...

In more seriousness Sam Darnold just put up a QB Rating in the 60s and a completion percentage of 53% and 0 TD passss against the NFLs worst ever pass Defense of All-Time being led by JAMAL ADAMS; and has now finished his past 5/6 games without a single TD pass thrown ?

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Guess my sarcasm of TL @ 5 years old completely went over your head...

In more seriousness Sam Darnold just put up a QB Rating in the 60s and a completion percentage of 53% and 0 TD passss against the NFLs worst ever pass Defense of All-Time being led by JAMAL ADAMS; and has now finished his past 5/6 games without a single TD pass thrown ?

With all the nonsense you post, how the hell should anyone be able to differentiate from what you now claim is sarcasm while in the same post you give 2 of Sams numbers as if there isnt more blame than Sam to pass around.

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Even with knowing this from day 1, I still wasn't prepared for how bad Sam has become.

But watching Gase coach with this team it should have been expected given he was just a baby learning and he had Gase teaching him

Just now, Jet Nut said:

But watching Gase coach with this team it should have been expected given he was just a baby learning and he had Gase teaching him

I think anyone who expected Darnold to be as bad as he's been this season never believed in him in the first place, so who's coaching him is a moot point to them.

As much as I hate Gase, I did not see this season coming.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I think anyone who expected Darnold to be as bad as he's been this season never believed in him in the first place, so who's coaching him is a moot point to them.

As much as I hate Gase, I did not see this season coming.

Agreed but a lot of those a lot of those who claim they always expected him to be this bad just want Trevor and moved on as soon as they swooned looking in his eyes and seeing a superstar QB

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Agreed but a lot of those a lot of those who claim they always expected him to be this bad just want Trevor and moved on as soon as they swooned looking in his eyes and seeing a superstar QB

It wasn't until this season that I adopted Trevor Lawrence as my personal savior, but I can sympathize with those folks. Plus, after the heartbreak of Darnold, some people just need a good rebound f*ck.

• Upvote 1

Sam is not good at a bunch of pre-snap stuff. I was watching the Bills game and thinking that any QB coming in going to have a hard time because all 3 other AFC East teams are good at confusing the QB before the snap. Gase's biggest awfulness was he did nothing in his gameplan to help Darnold figure out what was going on pre-snap (ie motion). I'd be really curious for what sort of prep they did before games on trying to read the defenses. 

He wasn’t my top choice when drafting because I was convinced USC doesn’t produce NFL QBs.  I still was trying to be hopeful.  

Year one he showed some progress towards the end of the season. Last year the last 8 games he seemed to be improving but this season he has totally regressed.  

He has not had consistency with the players around him.  None of the WRs from his rookie year are even on the team anymore.  

That being said it’s time to move on unless we hire a coach who feels strongly that he can fix Darnold.  Look at Mayfield and Allen.  Both are playoff QBs.  Darnold looks lost.   

My two cents. Sam is close personal friends with Josh Allen. They work out in the off season together. They obviously talk. Allen has gotten better. Sam has gotten worse. Sam knows from his conversations with Allen whether Sam owns his suckiness or if he has been adversely affected by his coaches “coaching” and schemes as well as the talent level of teammates. 

Based on my non professional analysis of Sam’s body language, I think Sam believes that “HE” is the main problem for his regression. He doesn’t SEE things (pre-snap and in-play) and he makes poor decisions.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Have you ever seen Sam give a hard dummy count to see where the blitz is coming from so he could audible away from it?  Just feels like he goes through the motions presnap.  By year 3 he should have been further along than this and I can’t just put it on the Jets.  

Who else are ya gonna put it on?  a 21 yr old kid on his 2nd HC in two years?  Or the QB Whisperer, Guru and Offensive Genius.  We are also the only team without a QB coach.  

Come on 

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Who else are ya gonna put it on?  a 21 yr old kid on his 2nd HC in two years?  Or the QB Whisperer, Guru and Offensive Genius.  We are also the only team without a QB coach.  

Come on 

Definitely Gase is a big part of it but Sam also needs to take matters into his own hands a little

Just now, jetscrazey said:

Definitely Gase is a big part of it but Sam also needs to take matters into his own hands a little

How so?  

a 21 yr old Sam was given to a guy who was supposed to be a guru. CJ bought into it 100%. Peyton Manning lobbied for him.  He never even hired a QB coach when his job was to elevate Sam Darnold.  It's not even debatable imo.  Sam not playing well at this point is what it is, but man did we screw him by hiring Gase and allowing him to label Loggains his OC and not hiring a coach to help groom our #1 asset.  It's all ego man. Gase is the absolute worst and the Johnsons a pu$$ies for keeping him around. The team absolutely hates him. 

And the guy can't even  figure out that a QB sneak on 4th and 1 works.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

How so?  

a 21 yr old Sam was given to a guy who was supposed to be a guru. CJ bought into it 100%. Peyton Manning lobbied for him.  He never even hired a QB coach when his job was to elevate Sam Darnold.  It's not even debatable imo.  Sam not playing well at this point is what it is, but man did we screw him by hiring Gase and allowing him to label Loggains his OC and not hiring a coach to help groom our #1 asset.  It's all ego man. Gase is the absolute worst and the Johnsons a pu$$ies for keeping him around. The team absolutely hates him. 

And the guy can't even  figure out that a QB sneak on 4th and 1 works.  

OK, not disagreeing with you on Gase, but also, a real franchise QB would've had the presence of mind to tap the center's rear and audible to a sneak on his own.