Gabriel Davis Vs James Morgan

kmnj

every time I see Davis play it makes me sick-he was a stud wr in college and he is really starting to shine for the bills-he has  6 tds this season now-yes he has a better qb but he  also is  displaying mad skills. 

Our gm who is unproven and being hailed as the savior of our franchise(even though he took a 6-7 win team and made them the worst maybe in NFL history) decided our rebuild was better served by selecting a qb that will never start for us and was 4th our depth chart most of the year.

This is not being a Monday morning QB either-the Morgan pick never made sense for us and our wrs are trash-

The bills gave their young qb tools to succeed (many here posted Allen sucked ) they gave him diggs brown and drafted Davis-two of them the past year who are huge parts of their success- the bills did for their young qb what Joe promised Sam and his parents he would do for Sam-surround him with weapons.

The bills were a slightly better team than us last year according to many posters as the season took place-some on here like a guy   named Sar said the Jets were better than the bills last year.... 

Do you think our gm is  proud of his Morgan pick? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

The Morgan pick was fine, he was never seeing this field this year. If he develops we can flip him for a decent pick in a few years. What about Zuniga and Clark? Completely invisible on an 0-13 team.

But yes, I really wanted Davis on draft day and I'm not surprised at all by his production.

• Upvote 1

a lot has been said about the morgan pick.  first off the 4th round isn't one of those must perform draft choice levels so it's not like it's a critical pick position.  another point is maybe douglas was trying to prepare for a team without darnold.  he may have seen something or heard something that didn't entirely sell him on darnold.  if many fans can see darnolds flaws then so should a football guy.  and then there's the whole thing about getting a good back up.  we saw nothing from falk less from semian so maybe morgan is being groomed for back up.  or maybe he's being considered for starter.  one last thing is a developing a guy may make him an attractive trade candidate so it's possible the jets can recoup the pick with something in future drafts.

13 minutes ago, kmnj said:

The bills gave their young qb tools to succeed (many here posted Allen sucked ) they gave him diggs brown and drafted Davis-two of them the past year who are huge parts of their success- the bills did for their young qb what Joe promised Sam and his parents he would do for Sam-surround him with weapons.

The bills were a slightly better team than us last year according to many posters as the season took place-some on here like a guy   named Sar said the Jets were better than the bills last year.... 

Do you think our gm is  proud of his Morgan pick? 

The Bills also double dipped in the draft for WRs even after they got Diggs. They also took Isiah Hodgins in the 6th round but he was on IR earlier.

When you include the Diggs trade, the Bills used their 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders on WRs in one off-season 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think Morgan was an insurance policy if Darnold sucked AND they didn’t have a top pick...ie if they ended up like, 6-10 this year. It was the RIGHT move imo given the circumstances. Douglass didn’t have a crystal ball at the time. He was a fourth round pick, get the **** over 

How is he an insurance policy? Darnold does indeed suck and Morgan is what 4th string?

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think Morgan was an insurance policy if Darnold sucked AND they didn’t have a top pick...ie if they ended up like, 6-10 this year. It was the RIGHT move imo given the circumstances. Douglass didn’t have a crystal ball at the time. He was a fourth round pick, get the **** over 

I like teams to take QB shots every draft if they don't have a confirmed FQB in the building. 4th rounder is a decent spot to get a lotto ticket.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

How is he an insurance policy? Darnold does indeed suck and Morgan is what 4th string?

Based on May of last year nobody could have known they’d be on pace for 0-16 and a shot at Lawrence. If they went say 6-10 this year they’re options would have looked different. If they were 4-8 and Darnold sucking THEN you you could argue this point on wanting to see Morgan. But now it’s all in for Lawrence. There is no point creating a windstorm on Morgan 

• Upvote 3

The New York Jets are a backwater nursery for developmental quarterbacks. They are gently aged and nurtured, coaxed off their training wheels and finally released.

Morgan has been Hackenberg'ed so far, with no preseason games he was pronounced from day one as destined to redshirt.

Here's hoping we have training camp in 2021 and Joe Douglas can reveal his 4th round genius to us. 

9 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Based on May of last year nobody could have known they’d be on pace for 0-16 and a shot at Lawrence. If they went say 6-10 this year they’re options would have looked different. If they were 4-8 and Darnold sucking THEN you you could argue this point on wanting to see Morgan. But now it’s all in for Lawrence. There is no point creating a windstorm on Morgan 

It's true no one could've known we'd be staring at 0-16. But those of us who said that the 2019 finish was a mirage and this team would be worse, were called trolls, fake fans, etc. I expect the same when I unveil my prediction of 4-12 for next year lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

The New York Jets are a backwater nursery for developmental quarterbacks. They are gently aged and nurtured, coaxed off their training wheels and finally released.

Morgan has been Hackenberg'ed so far, with no preseason games he was pronounced from day one as destined to redshirt.

Here's hoping we have training camp in 2021 and Joe Douglas can reveal his 4th round genius to us. 

the crazy thing is some fans buy into the madness-the same ones that rip gase for losing games (he should be ripped) blindly defend terrible picks by our gm and the fact that he is in charge of the worst roster in football

I love when people cherry pick the draft with the benefit of hindsight.  Why doesn't anybody ever lament not picking Charlie Heck, who went the pick after Morgan and has played 6 snaps this season.  Or K'von Wallace, safety for Philly who went 2 picks after Morgan and is allowing a passer rating against of 118.7 when targeted.  Or Antonio Gandy-Golden another 4th round WR who a lot of people here really liked.  He has 1 catch for 3 yards this season.  

4th round picks generally do not play much as rookies, and when they do, they tend to struggle.  Davis is the exception.  He has been the most productive rookie 4th round pick this season.  So he is always used as the example for why Morgan is a bad pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

That was after they felt comfortable with Allen as the Jets have not with Darnold. Plus, Douglass did do right by drafting a LT sand WR early, both whom are the only worthwhile players on the offense. The Douglass hate is childish atp. Nobody is crowning the guy yet but give the ****er a chance, he hasn’t been whiffing on picks in his small window to date. And he hasn’t thrown big money at sh*t yet. That’s batting 2 for 2 so far in my book 

Douglas did not do enough. The Jets have the worst WR skill group in the league, and everyone knew this before the season started. Douglas deserves some blame. If you are on pace for 0-16, everyone deserves blame. 

The defense got drastically worse because he completely whiffed on all of his DB signings. When you add that to letting his skill group going down the drain, he is partially responsible for this mess.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I love when people cherry pick the draft with the benefit of hindsight.  Why doesn't anybody ever lament not picking Charlie Heck, who went the pick after Morgan and has played 6 snaps this season.  Or K'von Wallace, safety for Philly who went 2 picks after Morgan and is allowing a passer rating against of 118.7 when targeted.  Or Antonio Gandy-Golden another 4th round WR who a lot of people here really liked.  He has 1 catch for 3 yards this season.  

4th round picks generally do not play much as rookies, and when they do, they tend to struggle.  Davis is the exception.  He has been the most productive rookie 4th round pick this season.  So he is always used as the example for why Morgan is a bad pick. 

it is not hindsight-it was said at the time-the morgan pick was terrible

we need WRS there was a good one there-you can get a back up qb off the streets -see flacco as an example

we decided to go with a back up QB that will never start over a position of need 

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

To be fair the Jets need some hits in the middle round. Harder to get hits when you’re drafting emergency QB’s or punters. 

• Upvote 1

Risk reward I’m sure made sense to pick Morgan there.

I know we expect a lot from Douglas but even he didn’t see an 0-16 season which makes sense because good things don’t happen to this team ever. 

it’s very fair of him to not be all in on Sam when he thought this though and make the decision on the more likely outcome which was not having a literally historically terrible season in the modern league

put another way, do you think he regrets thinking about this like a real strategist-

or maybe he might feel like he’s got the keys for five years to potentially the most attractive gig in the league if he drafts Trevor Lawrence

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By my recollection, most Jets Fans who were angry (and it wasn't all of us), were angry we selected Morgan over WR Gandy-Golden, not Davis. 

I cannot recall many folks here calling for Davis (although perhaps some did).

As a reminder, Gandy-Golden has 1 reception for 3 yards in 2020, on a team with almost no WR talent whatsoever beyond McLaurin, their #1.

This is absolutely a "a Monday morning QB" thread, unless the OP can link his post during the draft where he called for Davis as the pick at the Morgan pick slot.

This is all very fair commentary. BTW, the OP said he would have passed on Becton at draft time because of failed drug test.

Hindsight is so sharp.

• Upvote 2

Love the way everyone has written the book on Morgan and they guy has not played a snap yet . Imagine if this organization drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round instead of the Patriots. You all would have probably known better than to give that 6th round draft choice with the soft physical presence a chance.

Lets wait to see if Morgan is worth a crap when we get a real coach in here and if he's worthy of back up status. Funny I remember how they used to make fun of Tony Romo here in Dallas until the guy actually started to play

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Some truth to this but some players like Stephon Diggs comes weapons grade and some simply don't. 

Weaponz absolutely make a difference but from what I've seen, JD made the right call not investing around Darnold, keeping his powder dry and going all in on the next guy. If you believe in Lawrence (or Fields), it may actually pay off.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Love the way everyone has written the book on Morgan and they guy has not played a snap yet . Imagine if this organization drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round instead of the Patriots. You all would have probably known better than to give that 6th round draft choice with the soft physical presence a chance.

Lets wait to see if Morgan is worth a crap when we get a real coach in here and if he's worthy of back up status. Funny I remember how they used to make fun of Tony Romo here in Dallas until the guy actually started to play

I'm looking forward to seeing him in camp and preseason in 2021, when, hopefully, we are all past the COVID Pandemic and some NFL normalcy has returned.

• Upvote 1