Gabriel Davis Vs James Morgan

kmnj

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

it is not hindsight-it was said at the time-the morgan pick was terrible

we need WRS there was a good one there-you can get a back up qb off the streets -see flacco as an example

we decided to go with a back up QB that will never start over a position of need 

It is hindsight in that Davis is always held up as the poster child for the poor Morgan pick.  Personally, I agree with you and would rather have seen a WR pick there.  But that WR could just as easily been Joe Reed or AGG, the next two WRs off the board after Davis, who between them have 1 reception. 

I did not like the Morgan pick at the time.  I am not ready to take a victory lap and pat myself on the back after less than one season.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

It’s almost as if there was no rookie camp, full training camp or preseason games to help the  small school 4th rounder get acclimated to the NFL.

All of this was pretty much known going into the season. Reaching on a QB there was a bad decision, considering the state of the roster.

Under normal circumstances, I would write this draft off as a failure but given the lack of offseason and the coaching staff, I'll give them next season but basically everything after RD 2 was disaster after disaster of a pick passing on true impact players.  Mr. expert OL scout GM, could have rebuilt the entire OL in 1 draft but instead he took a bunch of injury riddled athletes and guy who truly will probably never play a down in the NFL.

That said, I do understand the circumstances and wont be as harsh as I normally would. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Would Davis have 28 receptions with Darnold? No. Would he have  6 TD's with Darnold? Hell no. 

Your logic is flawed here.

I agree , plus rumors were the Pats were hot after Morgan. Sometimes the guys other teams don't get is just as important as the guys we get. Patriots still need a QB and their middling record should prevent them yet again form drafting a good one unless they want to part with other assets.

I truly believe Stidham is not their answer and Cam is Cam .

The op is 100% correct,

Davis is just one of at least a half dozen promising looking wrs that douglas ignored for a QB who they hope never ever ever takes  a snap and a guard who can't even be activated.

Don't want to use Davis?

Golden Gandy - 4th

Tyler Johnson - 5th

Collin Johnson - 5th

Quintez Cephus - 5th

John Hightower - 5th

Darnell Mooney - 5th

Donovan peoples Jones - 6th

James proche - 6th

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The op is 100% correct,

Davis is just one of at least a half dozen promising looking wrs that douglas ignored for a QB who they hope never ever ever takes  a snap and a guard who can't even be activated.

Don't want to use Davis?

Golden Gandy - 4th

Tyler Johnson - 5th

Collin Johnson - 5th

Quintez Cephus - 5th

John Hightower - 5th

Darnell Mooney - 5th

Donovan peoples Jones - 6th

James proche - 6th

Bottom line is WR is perhaps the biggest need on your team and you pick one in the deepest WR draft in recent memory after signing Breshad Perriman and letting Robby Anderson go. That's a ******* goof.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'll forgive him for passing on Gabriel Davis (who I was screaming at my TV down here in Florida for JD to draft out of UCF) if he signs Allen Robinson as a FA WR...

1902928918_8de8032418dc3e7981316b5d92f86e24(1).thumb.jpg.18fafea0ac5fa742b933e651f5b3568c.jpg

What is your track record of results while screaming at your TV? Maybe the Jets would want to set up a Zoom call with your during drafts.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Since it's pretty clear Darnold isn't the answer and Douglas had no idea how bad the injuries and opt outs would be, the Morgan pick may well be pure genius.  

This guy is never seeing the filed.

If darnold is toast we are using our 1st pick in next years draft on a QB.

The thing we don't know at all is if he is actually good enough to play in a game.  Adam Gase would rather have 35 year old joe flacco as he back up.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Bottom line is WR is perhaps the biggest need on your team and you pick one in the deepest WR draft in recent memory after signing Breshad Perriman and letting Robby Anderson go. That's a ******* goof.

Many many teams doubled dipped at WR in the last draft, some tripled dipped. 

I like Douglas, and think he will do a good job in the end but I am not going to give him a total pass if I think he screwed up.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

We should do an annual draft at the end of the year each season, choosing players that were drafted from last April's draft.

Then we can finally determine who really is the smartest prospective GM on this board

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

and their offensive line and their coaches and you should be able to field a team of junior high school players if you pair them with Joe Montana

This idea that there is no middle ground or balance is ******* hysterical

I have said many times supporting cast matters. In fact that is a truism that literally no one on Earth is arguing against. It's much more interesting and constructive to debate the positions people are actually making rather than trying to force some absurd version of those on us.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm wondering how many Pats fans started a similar thread t when they "wasted" a #6 on Brady ? Just sayin......

The Pats also drafted 6 QB's when Brady was the starter anywhere from the 2nd rd to the 6th rd... Hell in 1965 in the first 7 rds the Jets drafted 4 QB's 1st rd was Joe and the 2nd pick was John Huarte the Heisman winner..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hamat711 said:

Douglas did not do enough. The Jets have the WR skill group in the league, and everyone knew this before the season started. Douglas deserves some blame. If you are on pace for 0-16, everyone deserves blame. 

The defense got drastically worse because he completely whiffed on all of his DB signings. When you add that to letting his skill group going down the drain, he is partially responsible for this mess.

Heading into TC,  the Jets had Crowder, Perriman, Mims, Dotson, Herdon, Griffin and Bell as a potential pass catching back . While that won't keep DC's up at night it certainly didn't seem like worst in the NFL bad.

Douglas couldn't forsee losing most of the starting Wr's at one point or another to injury or opt-outs. He also couldn't predict we'd get no production out of the TE's . He couldn't know the revamped Oline would get no real live action together due to covid. He couldn't predict Bell would be a ghost of his past self and finally and most importantly he couldn't fathom Sammy would take a major step backward in his development .

On defense he lost Mosley, Onwuassor, Got an offer he couldn't refuse for Adams , lost countless others due to injuries.  He did the smart thing and didn't spend like a drunken sailor to plug holes that would get us to a handful of wins. He has the luxury of a 6 year deal and hopefully the foresight to build this thing right. He has tons of draft capital , tons of guys on 1 year deals and tons of cap space to move this forward next year.  If you want to blame JD I urge you to be patient for 1 more critical offseason before you condemn his plan. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I have said many times supporting cast matters. In fact that is a truism that literally no one on Earth is arguing against. It's much more interesting and constructive to debate the positions people are actually making rather than trying to force some absurd version of those on us.

Sometimes you need to draw big pictures to get your point across. There is not one single post in which you have exhibited any kind of nuanced opinion it's always been the same song, so please don't pretend that you suddenly became balanced. 

Just the statement "QB's make the weponz not the other way around" alone discredits everything you're claiming now.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What is your track record of results while screaming at your TV? Maybe the Jets would want to set up a Zoom call with your during drafts.

We all suffer from confirmation bias when evaluating our own would-be-GMing skills. We all have examples of guys we just knew would hit. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Heading into TC,  the Jets had Crowder, Perriman, Mims, Dotson, Herdon, Griffin and Bell as a potential pass catching back . While that won't keep DC's up at night it certainly didn't seem like worst in the NFL bad.

At first blush, to a passive fan - "hey! names!"

A closer look reveals - a Slot WR, a guy who is NEVER healthy, a rookie, a bust, couple JAG TEs and back that's been over the hill for 2 years. 

That's how we set up Darnold for *potential Success

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Sometimes you need to draw big pictures to get your point across. There is not one single post in which you have exhibited any kind of nuanced opinion it's always been the same song, so please don't pretend that you suddenly became balanced. 

Just the statement "QB's make the weponz not the other way around" alone discredits everything you're claiming now.

I'm sorry that all of my posts don't contain the extent of my views on the relevant topic.

1 hour ago, hamat711 said:

Douglas did not do enough. The Jets have the WR skill group in the league, and everyone knew this before the season started. Douglas deserves some blame. If you are on pace for 0-16, everyone deserves blame. 

The defense got drastically worse because he completely whiffed on all of his DB signings. When you add that to letting his skill group going down the drain, he is partially responsible for this mess.

Given the situation he was delt, him doing less was more. Thank god he didn’t waste money on a couple high profile players that would have possibly netted 3-4 wins. The guy is doing it right so far. I’ll be the first to sh*t on him if he turns out another crap GM. This hasn’t happened yet however 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

We should do an annual draft at the end of the year each season, choosing players that were drafted from last April's draft.

Then we can finally determine who really is the smartest prospective GM on this board

It is not my job to scout every college player throughout any given season. I work in restaurants and in film, theatre and television. If I made a dessert featuring garlic, asparagus and white chocolate and Joe Douglass had a problem with it, should I just say "Did YOU go to culinary school? How about YOU try to make a better one, there, smart guy?"

I didn't make my bones coming up in the NFL but I know drafting two safeties back to back is not a good idea, but Mcagananannanan is a better GM than I could dream of being, I know that, although I wanted Watson and Dalvin Cook and I would have been right. I also know ignoring the offensive line for YEARS is never a good idea. You know what, maybe I AM better than Macagananananan.

No one is saying they are better than Douglass but that doesn't make him infallible.

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

At first blush, to a passive fan - "hey! names!"

A closer look reveals - a Slot WR, a guy who is NEVER healthy, a rookie, a bust, couple JAG TEs and back that's been over the hill for 2 years. 

That's how we set up Darnold for *potential Success

While many on this sight employ green colored glasses while evaluating our talent , myself included many times . There are just as many here who want to continually bash everything that is Jets and constantly under rate our players ,especially in hindsight. No that offensive lineup was not a murderers row, but its not as bad as you want to make it out to be.  Darnold is not regressing because he lacks guys to throw to, he's regressing because he doesn't know who to throw to and has no clue how to read a blitz or simple cover

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It is not my job to scout every college player throughout any given season. I work in restaurants and in film, theatre and television. If I made a dessert featuring garlic, asparagus and white chocolate and Joe Douglass had a problem with it, should I just say "Did YOU go to culinary school? How about YOU try to make a better one, there, smart guy?"

I didn't make my bones coming up in the NFL but I know drafting two safeties back to back is not a good idea, but Mcagananannanan is a better GM than I could dream of being, I know that, although I wanted Watson and Dalvin Cook and I would have been right. I also know ignoring the offensive line for YEARS is never a good idea. You know what, maybe I AM better than Macagananananan.

No one is saying they are better than Douglass but that doesn't make him infallible.

First of all, you somehow slipped through the filter of requirements for posters on this site.  That must have been some sort of Max compromise.

Secondly, we are all smarter post-draft, near the end of first year.

Third, is anyone making the claim that Macc was a good GM?

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

First of all, you somehow slipped through the filter of requirements for posters on this site.  That must have been some sort of Max compromise.

Secondly, we are all smarter post-draft, near the end of first year.

Third, is anyone making the claim that Macc was a good GM?

Screenshot_20201214-120547.thumb.png.9f1e95302f684a800ae82cdccd7e04fe.png

?????‍♂️????

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Does that make him a good GM overall?

No but it just makes you a bad talent evaluator (what you like to criticize others for). 

Screenshot_20201214-121358.thumb.png.8d441512568b336b2c92277e30c93277.png

2012 man, really? 8 years without a single day of liked content? 

You should spend more time talking football rather than mocking others who do...

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1