Can someone please explain Dakota Dozier to me?

Alka

So now guys whose new teams have either benched, or only ever signed as backups, former Jets starters are some sort of evidence that the Jets should've kept these failures of theirs that they attempted (and in some cases succeeded) to upgrade?

Sure, that makes sense.  After all, as everyone knows, the formula for success of a crappy team is just to keep all of the same players for as long as possible.

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

After all, as everyone knows, the formula for success of a crappy team is just to keep all of the same players for as long as possible.

i thought everyone knew the formula for success was to lose as many games as possible and shuffle the lineup every week /s

cohesion is important for offensive line. the average starting 5 who has played 16 games together is better in real terms than the Pro Bowl 5 who meet just once for an exhibition. 

18 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

So now guys whose news team have either benched, or only ever signed as backups, former Jets starters are some sort of evidence that the Jets should've kept these failures of theirs that they attempted to (and in some cases succeeded) to upgrade?

Sure, that makes sense.  After all, as everyone knows, the formula for success of a crappy team is just to keep all of the same players for as long as possible.

It's like those who say "no good team turns over its front office frequently" as an argument to retain current failures when in fact the reason good teams don't have turnover is because they make smart hiring decisions in the first place.

If you can't succeed, you better at least be able to fail quickly. Johnsons hire cheap and refuse to pay more than one former employee at each position at a time. Lucky for us, Bowles gets his last check after Week 17.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Drums said:

Didn’t they use Doz as an extra lineman and fullback his last year here? He was finally coming into his own. I think they let him walk because they didn’t want to pay him. 

Never understood why DD didn’t get more of a chance, on the few occasions he got the start or played most of the game out run game was dominant ....our coaching has sucked for years, zero player development 

• Upvote 1

Or the qb

When you start darnold who can't read defense and doesn't handle pressure, teams blitz more and the line gets blamed

The titans fans blamed their Taylor lewan line to defend mariota etc

It's common among the people who buy qb jerseys to blame it all on the line. Sometimes it's valid but not always.

Here's the list by the way off Jets ol starts

Shell starts RT for Sea
Beachum starts RT for Arz
Dozier starts LG for Min

The following players rotation or start due to injury

K osemele started LG for KC went on IR
Winters rotates RG in BUF (benched last 2 weeks)
Oday Aboushi starts for Vaitai in DET
Calvin Anderson even got a rt start for Denver

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

How many times will the Jets allow a free rusher through the a gap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I forgot Q-Value

who started and played 80% of snaps at LG for Houston during last weeks' loss to CHI 

to answer your question when a drafted player plays well or has potential and they let him walk rather than pay a 2nd deal that's an example of the Jets giving up on a player they drafted 

I know you are just ******* around, but c'mon.  When the Jets signed Dozier after his rookie deal expired what did that amount to?  When they signed Qvale to deals in 2018 and 2019?  These are guys that sign 1-year contracts. We wer trying to upgrade and they moved on.  We didn't give up on them, we tried something different.  That is because what we were doing was not working.  These guys were not the problem with the team, but they certainly are not the answer.  None is an entrenched starter on another team, except Beachum who is pretty old. 

When the play has 5 blockers and the defense brings 6 its on the qb to either make a hot read or audible

Flacco can do this by the way

Darnold selects option C panic and other defenses keep blitzing until he inevitably turns it over

Jets Fans who believe in the darnold would rather blame the line for letting a free rusher thru the gap than blame the qb for not handling the pressure

How many times will the Jets allow a free rusher through the a gap?

It's a combination of factors not the least of which is the fact that Mac purges idzik guys, jd purges Mac guys etc. Other teams don't swap hc and gm every 2 years. Shoot it feels like Pete Carroll has been the hc of Seattle forever

So in that sense you are right gase wants zone guys so he gets rid of shell for Fant or dozier for gvr

It's still fun to imagine Becton - dozier - McGovern - Shell - beachum or some combination of 5 guys that are better than the current crew

I know you are just ******* around, but c'mon.  When the Jets signed Dozier after his rookie deal expired what did that amount to?  When they signed Qvale to deals in 2018 and 2019?  These are guys that sign 1-year contracts. We wer trying to upgrade and they moved on.  We didn't give up on them, we tried something different.  That is because what we were doing was not working.  These guys were not the problem with the team, but they certainly are not the answer.  None is an entrenched starter on another team, except Beachum who is pretty old. 

This is the problem with knee-jerk reactions that whoever a bad GM drafted must also be bad.  Several poster here, many of whom I think are level-headed and knowledgeable, started to fall into this trap last year and the beginning of this year regarding Quinnen Williams.  "If Macc drafted him he must be a bust!"  is the reflex of many brains on the board.  It's turning out that several guys who didn't succeed here are finding some levels of success in other places.  It doesn't mean they're all successful but many continue to play in the league, are backups or are starters like Brandon Shell.  Perhaps JD just didn't give Shell a chance or he fell into the same mindset of anything Macc touched must be bad.  But Shell currently has a PFF grade of about 72 compared to Fant's 64, and Shell is on a deal that average $4.5M per year vs. Fant's $9M.

JD almost literally did a swap of Brandon Shell for George Fant with Seattle, spending double and getting less performance.  But it was a way for JD to "put his stamp" on the OLine and show he was making changes so I guess we just let it go similar to the changes at WR, etc.?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

When the play has 5 blockers and the defense brings 6 its on the qb to either make a hot read or audible

Flacco can do this by the way

Darnold selects option C panic and other defenses keep blitzing until he inevitably turns it over

Jets Fans who believe in the darnold would rather blame the line for letting a free rusher thru the gap than blame the qb for not handling the pressure

Seems to simple for this to happen so often. It happened with Flacco as well..

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Which of those guys did the Jets "give up on."  Winters got a huge second deal was always hurt and underperformed.  Dozier and Shell left when their deals expired.  Xaverian's own Oday Aboushi served some kind of drug suspension with the Jets (I can't remember if it was PED or substance abuse) and has never played as much as he did with the Jets in 2014.   I was surprised they cut him, but I think he was fairly soft and not what they were looking for.  I honestly think Ijalana and Qvale were better players and that isn't saying much.

I'm talking about the fans, not the team. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Dozier, Winters and Aboushi are all still in the league.

All John Idzik draft picks.

Don't forget Chad Hansen who's torn it up in Houston the past 2 weeks.

We had a ton of bad picks in recent years but we're also guilty of piss poor self evaluation and letting serviceable guys go way too soon.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm talking about the fans, not the team. 

Fans pretty much give up on anybody that isn't Revis by year 3.  Unless they ask for a bunch of money.  If they do that, then we give up on them too.  One thing that will keep us from giving up on players is if they never see the field.  Then we can pretend that they would be awesome if only they'd been given an opportunity!

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

We had a ton of bad picks in recent years but we're also guilty of piss poor self evaluation and letting serviceable guys go way too soon.

Hansen was a Maccagnan pick.  The Seahawks were trotting out Nick Bellore and Damon Harrison, two UDFA gems of Tannenbaum's. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

i thought everyone knew the formula for success was to lose as many games as possible and shuffle the lineup every week /s

cohesion is important for offensive line. the average starting 5 who has played 16 games together is better in real terms than the Pro Bowl 5 who meet just once for an exhibition. 

The average starting 5/16 and the pro bowl 5 meeting as strangers are abstract concepts. How can either be better than the other "in real terms?" How real are these terms, really?

2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Which is also the first time he's played in 3 years, and only due to a stream of Texan WR injuries and suspensions.  Yet we're now onto multiple players cited in this thread who were fill-ins for Houston when they were blown out by the Bears yesterday, who were on a 6-game losing streak before that.

I love that the most recent argument against the Jets is that apparently it's a mark against them if every single person that has ever played for them isn't immediately blackballed from the entire NFL upon their departure from the team.  As if there aren't enough real problems with this dumpster-fire of a team beyond other team's fifth-stringers?