Jump to content

How did you cope during the Kotite years?


freestater
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, freestater said:

We've got this place to commiserate because of our genius head coach this time. Its a wonderful way to exercise our demons of the green 'n white variety. But back then, probably most of us didn't have the internet, or large groups of Jets fans to share our pain. So I ask, during those dark years way back in the stone(d) age, what did you do to keep yourself from giving up on this incompetent football team? 

hope we were so good almost there in my dads time in 64 joe willie namthi and my time in  mark sanchez

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, freestater said:

I was in my 20s. Still lots of concerts and psychedelics. I'm much calmer now...

 

I was 17/18 for those years and in Florida for 10 years at that point, still in high school, going to the beach every day, chasing girls, stealing what we still called "krypie" from my older brothers.  It was also pretty much the height of my experimental years, listening to all sorts of music and going to all sorts of shows - all the alternative stuff that was coming out, all the old psychedelic music from the 60/70's, raves and techno were huge, hip-hop was still good.  96/97 were legit some of the best years of my life. I was basically the guy in my avatar except I had to go to class and make good grades because I played sports, somehow.  lol

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, Kolchak said:

Since I can't really remember, I'd have to say it was binge drinking. 

1995 and 1996 all my other teams were good or won world championships 

 

Yankees made the playoffs in ‘95 and ‘96 was that magical year with Derek Jeter as a rookie winning the World Series

 

Knicks made the playoffs both years 

 

Devils won the Stanley Cup in ‘95

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was 17/18 for those years and in Florida for 10 years at that point, still in high school, going to the beach every day, chasing girls, stealing what we still called "krypie" from my older brothers.  It was also pretty much the height of my experimental years, listening to all sorts of music and going to all sorts of shows - all the alternative stuff that was coming out, all the old psychedelic music from the 60/70's, raves and techno were huge, hip-hop was still good.  96/97 were legit some of the best years of my life. I was basically the guy in my avatar except I had to go to class and make good grades because I played sports, somehow.  lol

 

Barring unforeseen circumstances, our starting QB next year will look very similar to the guy in your avatar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

We would bitch and moan at the tailgates and then look for boobies at halftime...

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/sports/football/20fans.html

 

In all the years I spent  Sundays at Giants Stadium I can count how many times on 1 hand I went to see the crowd and commotion. 

Seeing people spitting on others and cheering on underage girls to show boobs wasn't for me. 

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In all the years I spent  Sundays at Giants Stadium I can count how many times on 1 hand I went to see the crowd and commotion. 

Seeing people spitting on others and cheering on underage girls to show boobs wasn't for me. 

 

 

I was at the week 17 loss to the Dolphins in 1996.   The stadium was half empty

 

The half that was there was mostly drunk obnoxious Dolphins fans.  I almost got into a couple fistfights.  I saw a Jets fan who was there with his wife and kids get into a heated shouting match with a crowd of  drunk Dolphins fans that almost escalated into a brawl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I was at the week 17 loss to the Dolphins in 1996.   The stadium was half empty

 

The half that was there was mostly drunk obnoxious Dolphins fans.  I almost got into a couple fistfights.  I saw a Jets fan who was there with his wife and kids get into a heated shouting match with a crowd of  drunk Dolphins fans that almost escalated into a brawl

latest?cb=20140525194342

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Since 2011 in the new stadium, it's 25-50% filled with opposing fans every game.  The new NFL with tickets on the internet and tons of ticket brokers have ruined home games. It was better when the only way you get a ticket was to get an actual physical paper ticket from a scalper.  

It sucks and even when we were good it was that way.  The first game vs Baltimore there were a lot of Raven fans there.  

Before I had season tickets I used to scalp every week to get in.  It was fun.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2020 at 9:28 AM, HessStation said:

Which is why they need to land a Cowher or Harbaugh imo. 

This situation is screaming for an established coach with credibility but with possibly missing out on Lawrence that makes the job less attractive though I still believe it is attractive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 12:35 PM, nj meadowlands said:

The funny thing is that the sum of the last 10 years has been far worse than what you refer to as "the Kotite Years," which we emerged from into a pretty long stretch of relevance and decent football.

We have been crap since 2011, and it shows no signs of stopping.

What football fans imagined the Jets were during "the Kotite Years" is actually what we are now.

People say the Kotite years but that was the end of a really bad run.

image.png

I got season tickets in 1988, so this is really all my fault. 88 was the last year of trying to make it work with the Walt Michaels \ Joe Walton.

1988 the team was coming around. Young players, Gastineau looked good, then he retired suddenly. The next 10 years under Coslet, Carroll and Kotite they had the playoffs one time and they finished 8 and 8 that year.

Got rid of Carroll too soon.

Anyhow I think that is what people mean when they say the Kotite years, and most of it wasn't under him. Same will be said about the Gase years and to your point they have been bad since 2011. Gase inherited crap and somehow made it worse.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2020 at 1:24 PM, JiF said:

I was 17/18 for those years and in Florida for 10 years at that point, still in high school, going to the beach every day, chasing girls, stealing what we still called "krypie" from my older brothers.  It was also pretty much the height of my experimental years, listening to all sorts of music and going to all sorts of shows - all the alternative stuff that was coming out, all the old psychedelic music from the 60/70's, raves and techno were huge, hip-hop was still good.  96/97 were legit some of the best years of my life. I was basically the guy in my avatar except I had to go to class and make good grades because I played sports, somehow.  lol

 

Explains a lot. Thank you for sharing.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, freestater said:

We've got this place to commiserate because of our genius head coach this time. Its a wonderful way to exercise our demons of the green 'n white variety. But back then, probably most of us didn't have the internet, or large groups of Jets fans to share our pain. So I ask, during those dark years way back in the stone(d) age, what did you do to keep yourself from giving up on this incompetent football team? 

The biggest difference is the internet. There was no Facebook, no forums and you were allowed to go to bars and meet people in public back then.  :) Such a different world.

The biggest difference is honestly the level that each fan knows and understands now. Back then I would see other Jets fans and when you spoke to them, it was rare for someone to be on the level that everyone here is on the site today. Backup QB was always a thing, put him in can't get any worse. But there was absolutely no discussion at a detailed level about the offensive line or backups.

I remember when I started going to the games people in the stands would say stop calling the same plays they aren't working. The same play in their mind would be a pitch left designed to be a run off tackle and and a dive to the left between the center and guard.

People know so much today, it was more general back then. Go Jets kind of thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Butterfield said:

I’m over 40.  The jets have had 3 good years in all of that time.  Not a single franchise qb.  Its always the kotite years.  

Wait til we draft Justin Fields and hire Brian Schottenheimer

 

You’ll be pining for the Dick Kotite years

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, nyjunc said:

This situation is screaming for an established coach with credibility but with possibly missing out on Lawrence that makes the job less attractive though I still believe it is attractive.

Harbaugh is staying at Michigan and Cowher isn’t coming here

 

knowing the Johnsons they will somehow downgrade from Gase

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, there weren't the "Kotite years".  There was only 1 Kotite year, thank goodness, and that is when the Jets went 1-15.

Like all owners who don't know anything, Leon Hess personally wanted to hire Rich Kotite.

He sucked as the head coach of Philly before we got him, and then we got him.

See a correlation?  Gase sucked for Miami, then went to the Jets.  Kotite sucked for Philly, then went to the Jets.

Our next head coach will have sucked for another team, then come to us.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alka said:

First of all, there weren't the "Kotite years".  There was only 1 Kotite year, thank goodness, and that is when the Jets went 1-15.

Like all owners who don't know anything, Leon Hess personally wanted to hire Rich Kotite.

He sucked as the head coach of Philly before we got him, and then we got him.

See a correlation?  Gase sucked for Miami, then went to the Jets.  Kotite sucked for Philly, then went to the Jets.

Our next head coach will have sucked for another team, then come to us.

Actually I believe kotite was here for 2 years? I also believe he was the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...