How did you cope during the Kotite years?

freestater

On 12/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, Maxman said:

People say the Kotite years but that was the end of a really bad run.

image.png

I got season tickets in 1988, so this is really all my fault. 88 was the last year of trying to make it work with the Walt Michaels \ Joe Walton.

1988 the team was coming around. Young players, Gastineau looked good, then he retired suddenly. The next 10 years under Coslet, Carroll and Kotite they had the playoffs one time and they finished 8 and 8 that year.

Got rid of Carroll too soon.

Anyhow I think that is what people mean when they say the Kotite years, and most of it wasn't under him. Same will be said about the Gase years and to your point they have been bad since 2011. Gase inherited crap and somehow made it worse.

Yeah, the "Joe must go" chant won out that season.

8 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Actually I believe kotite was here for 2 years? I also believe he was the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia

You are correct!  I guess I forgot about the first year when they went 3-13 under Kotite.  

But, just to add salt to the wound, not only did Leon Hess make Kotite the head coach, but he made Kotite the General Manager of the Jets as well.

And what did Rich Kotite do as GM?  He decided to draft Kyle Brady and pass over the defensive tackle that we needed in Warren Sapp.

After stepping down from the Jets, Rich Kotite never again coached any team in any capacity.  

Way to go Mr. Hess.  I will say this about Leon Hess; he made a bad decision, but I will take him as the owner any day.  This was a man who truly cared about the Jets and their fans.  In fact, he was the last owner to make the fans buy preseason tickets if you were a season ticket holder.  He refused to make the fans pay for meaningless games.  I actually loved this guy.  May he Rest in Peace.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Alka said:

First of all, there weren't the "Kotite years".  There was only 1 Kotite year, thank goodness, and that is when the Jets went 1-15.

Like all owners who don't know anything, Leon Hess personally wanted to hire Rich Kotite.

He sucked as the head coach of Philly before we got him, and then we got him.

See a correlation?  Gase sucked for Miami, then went to the Jets.  Kotite sucked for Philly, then went to the Jets.

Our next head coach will have sucked for another team, then come to us.

Kotite was an assistant coach \ coordinator with the Jets for 7 years I believe, before he became head coach.

And he was head coach here for two years.

Kotite yearS is definitely a thing.

52 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Kotite was an assistant coach \ coordinator with the Jets for 7 years I believe, before he became head coach.

And he was head coach here for two years.

Kotite yearS is definitely a thing.

dont take time out to watch games. distance yourselffrom results emotionally.

Dick Kotite was here for 2 years and went 4-28.

he was actually considered a successful head coach in Philly who even got to the playoffs there

Gase had one playoff appearance in Miami.  Was a known toxic d-bag, came here and self-destructed just like Kotite but at least Kotite was known as a good guy

On 12/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, Alka said:

First of all, there weren't the "Kotite years".  There was only 1 Kotite year, thank goodness, and that is when the Jets went 1-15.

Like all owners who don't know anything, Leon Hess personally wanted to hire Rich Kotite.

He sucked as the head coach of Philly before we got him, and then we got him.

See a correlation?  Gase sucked for Miami, then went to the Jets.  Kotite sucked for Philly, then went to the Jets.

Our next head coach will have sucked for another team, then come to us.

He coached 2 years here, won 4 games total.

Gase didn't suck for miami though, he led them to the playoffs. They have only one other playoffs app since 2002 and that only happened because Brady missed the 2008 season.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, Maxman said:

People say the Kotite years but that was the end of a really bad run.

image.png

I got season tickets in 1988, so this is really all my fault. 88 was the last year of trying to make it work with the Walt Michaels \ Joe Walton.

1988 the team was coming around. Young players, Gastineau looked good, then he retired suddenly. The next 10 years under Coslet, Carroll and Kotite they had the playoffs one time and they finished 8 and 8 that year.

Got rid of Carroll too soon.

Anyhow I think that is what people mean when they say the Kotite years, and most of it wasn't under him. Same will be said about the Gase years and to your point they have been bad since 2011. Gase inherited crap and somehow made it worse.

They were 4-12 in 1989 under walton which led to Coslet.  This era has been very similar to 1987-1996.  That's why we need our new Parcells to coach(not be GM).