Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?

Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?

• Sam Darnold
    • The New York Jets Organization (Owners, GMs, Coaches, etc)

I am just sitting here thinking, do I feel bad for Sam?  I just read a brief article from Rich Cimini that Sam wanted to "be a Jet for life" but it's out of his control...like, do I feel bad for the guy?  Sort of.  Was it his fault?  Yes.

So who do we blame here?  Or who do we blame MORE?

• Upvote 1

It's rarely a complete either/or with this stuff. 

When your team is 0-13, everyone shares some blame. 

What has happened with Sam (and the team in general) is an organizational failure of the highest magnitude. 

If you made me pick one, I think Sam has some huge limitations in his ability to see the field and make good decisions under pressure and I'm not convinced that good coaching will fix his issues. I think the game has to slow down for him and who is to say if it ever will?

28 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I voted: I blame Sam Darnold for his lack of progression, lack of learning, lack of improvement, etc.

It's Sam's fault, mainly.

Of course Sam deserves some blame, but I disagree, it’s mainly the organization for hiring “offensive genius” Adam Gase... He is a QB killer! 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What some of y’all seem to miss is that this doesn’t help your argument.

”Sam doesn’t make an appreciable difference for this team” = Sam is not a franchise QB 

The question isnt "Is Sam good yes/no" 

The question is who's to blame more, and that answer is undoubtedly the Jets. 

Yes he may or may not suck, but in the end, the Jets A- drafted him and B- never remotely tried to surround him with NFL level talent. 

So even if Sam does indeed suck, or he is secretly great, the Jets botched everything from the moment they turned the card in draft night. 

• Upvote 4

The Jets should be ashamed of themselves for putting Sam in the worst situation possible. You couldn’t make a worse situation for a young QB. The Jets actually outdid themselves when compared to prior stints of ruining young QBs. 

The level of poor play, regression and failure to show any experience or growth is on Sam though. As much as I hate the Jets and want to blame them for doing what they do best (hurt young QBs), Darnold has been a disaster and he’s failing at almost every level, including plays  that are 100% on him. 0 growth. Sam is more to blame because of this. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

The question isnt "Is Sam good yes/no" 

The question is who's to blame more, and that answer is undoubtedly the Jets. 

Yes he may or suck, but in the end, the Jets A- drafted him and B- never remotely tried to surround him with NFL level talent. 

So even if Sam does indeed suck, or he is secretly great, the Jets botched everything from the moment they turned the card in draft night. 

I don’t necessarily disagree and I think they hired one of the worst coaches imaginable for him, but I’m also pretty sure that he is not secretly great and will never be the guy we thought we were getting  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It’s both of them. The Jets have not built around him properly and seem to have this massive aversion to prioritizing skill position players. 

Sam has not improved his mechanics or decision-making at all. A more driven player finds a way to get it done. 

But gun to your head and you have to pick one, who gets more blame?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I don’t necessarily disagree and I think they hired one of the worst coaches imaginable for him, but I’m also pretty sure that he is not secretly great and will never be the guy we thought we were getting  

Looking more that way by the day yes, but even if Sam ISNT great at all, that's the Jets fault for believing he was and drafting him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There has been zero evidence that Sam is a secret FQB in disguise. Just look at Tannehill numbers with Gase, the QB so many pin their hopes on for a Sam turnaround. Totally different league.

• Upvote 1

It’s ******* bonkers to me that the only consistency in the Jets fan experience over my lifetime is bitching and arguing over who to blame.

And it never fails... it ALWAYS becomes a pedantic exhibition of how most humans think accountability is zero sum.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

It's The Jet and it's not even close....

They literally did everything wrong a team could possibly do with a young QB.  

If I didn't know how fully inept this organization is I would have thought they were purposely trying to ruin him, because if that's what you were trying to do - you would do everything they've done.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

There has been zero evidence that Sam is a secret FQB in disguise. Just look at Tannehill numbers with Gase, the QB so many pin their hopes on for a Sam turnaround. Totally different league.

There's no evidence he's not either.

Because he was never given a legitimate shot to succeed with the way he was handled.  

Just now, Integrity28 said:

It’s ******* bonkers to me that the only consistency in the Jets fan experience over my lifetime is bitching and arguing over who to blame.

And it never fails... it ALWAYS becomes a pedantic exhibition of how most humans think accountability is zero sum.

Why do junkyard dogs defend their garbage? Cause it’s all they got!

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

In this case it is.  It's all Jets.