At this rate what will be Darnold's value by season's end?

Slikmojet!

4 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

If he keeps throwing fir 150 yards with one or two Ints and no He's and completing under 50%. Asking a serious question, what's his value right now and is his his value diminishing every week?

He’s playing on one of, if not possibly  the worst team, in modern history. He’ll get another chance, likely. 

• Upvote 1

Getting another chance is not the issue. He's 23 and will definitely get another chance. But his stock is dropping every week. Rosen didn't play much before he was traded and was more of an unknown than Sam. Sam has been completely exposed and his trade value is low and will get lower. Mid round pick at this point. 

• Upvote 2

I've been saying for months now that we won't get anything better than a 5th round pick for him. 

He's now ranked as the 48th QB (out of 50) in QB Rating. 48th/50. 

I'm sorry but no GM is giving up anything of premium draft capital; when they could just simply draft their own 1st, 2nd or 3rd round QB. 

Unfortunately, 5th round pick at best (he STINKS). 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, KRL said:

I think at worst we'll be able to get a #3 because there will
be a number of teams that think they'll be able to "fix" Darnold
(SF, PIT, IND, WSH, CAR).  If the bidding gets hot maybe we get
a #2

If a GM gives us a 2nd, I would like him to consider this one bridge I’m selling. 

If this was his first year, then yeah he’d get us a 2nd. But it’s year 3. Don’t even look at the Rosen trade. Sam has proven year after year after year he doesn’t belong in NFL as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

Let's consider Mr. Samuel Darnold as a human being as opposed to a commodity or a chip in a poker game for a moment.

He's had a season of injuries and, when he's been able to play, he's taken the field knowing that he and his offensive* squad combined are overmatched by the opponent's defense. He also knows that any decent team is going to score easily against the New Jersey Jets defense and raise the bar for a win even higher. He faces that week after week.

How much mental damage is that doing to him? He must, by this point, realize that he's going to be sold or traded and will drop from head QB to back-up, possibly even third string. How long will it take for Mr. Darnold to regain his belief in himself? The next few weeks will not be much help.

Being a Jets first string  QB is no box o' Godiva's.

* The dual meaning will not be lost on the careful reader.

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

Getting another chance is not the issue. He's 23 and will definitely get another chance. But his stock is dropping every week. Rosen didn't play much before he was traded and was more of an unknown than Sam. Sam has been completely exposed and his trade value is low and will get lower. Mid round pick at this point. 

Interesting about Rosen. Wasn’t he the QBs that had all of the throwing mechanics down?  Can’t say what’s going on there but something besides Murray made the cards move on so quickly.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Interesting about Rosen. Wasn’t he the QBs that had all of the throwing mechanics down?  Can’t say what’s going on there but something besides Murray made the cards move on so quickly.

I meant teams didn't have enough NFL tape on him because he didn't play but one season basically. Sam has 3 years now of film.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I think at worst we'll be able to get a #3 because there will
be a number of teams that think they'll be able to "fix" Darnold
(SF, PIT, IND, WSH, CAR).  If the bidding gets hot maybe we get
a #2

This is a pipe dream I hope comes true but I do not think it will.

2 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I meant teams didn't have enough NFL tape on him because he didn't play but one season basically. Sam has 3 years now of film.

And Rosen came with 4 more cheap years. Darnold 1. That's huge for his trade value.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

Didn’t Teddy Bridgewater coming off a gruesome injury go for a third? 

I can’t see the Jets settling for less than that. Especially since they would be taking a dead cap hit in trading him. For a day 3 pick you might as just keep him and let him be the backup for a year. 

Bridgewater hadn't consistently demonstrated that he was trash.

Darnold is terrible at everything. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I tend to agree with this.  Darnold makes some head scratchers and then he makes some great throws.  I don’t buy the whole mechanics issue.  The wood QBs seem to throw the way they throw and tinkering with their form doesn’t always work.  If Lawrence is the guy and the jets have the chance they should just draft him. Let some other team deal with darnolds throwing mechanics or think a better team will suddenly make him all pro.

4 minutes ago, AtticusGase said:

Will also say this is very depressing. The Jets invested three 2nd round picks and the 6th overall pick on this kid. As excited as I was to get Sam he was probably the worst move McCagnan made. 

I don’t know about that. When I think about maccagnan I just think of the large number of bad draft picks. Had he drafted right before darnold things would be a lot different now.

Third Rd is the floor because the Jets will eventually get a 3rd comp pick when someone signs him

People say jd is going to go hog wild in fa... More likely he dreams about comp picks

Didn’t Teddy Bridgewater coming off a gruesome injury go for a third? 

I can’t see the Jets settling for less than that. Especially since they would be taking a dead cap hit in trading him. For a day 3 pick you might as just keep him and let him be the backup for a year. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

If he keeps throwing fir 150 yards with one or two Ints and no He's and completing under 50%. Asking a serious question, what's his value right now and is his his value diminishing every week?

How about if he throws 0 ints like against Seattle?

His value will be based on how highly he was rated out of USC, how young he is and if people think he is salvageable.  Not how many 250 yard games he has

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Third Rd is the floor because the Jets will eventually get a 3rd comp pick when someone signs him

People say jd is going to go hog wild in fa... More likely he dreams about comp picks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah because the jets are cheap, blah, blah, blah

So it turns

Sam Darnold will have value for some team, and there is a system that can fit him.

That team will have to have a strong offensive line and be a threat at the run game. Allow play action to be a threat for Darnold, as the Jets have never been able to establish that part of the game to aid him.

That will open up the short and intermediate routes for Sam, and he has shown an aptitude to hit those routes when he is not getting a rush in his face. He will need strong slot receivers and a TE that will be willing to sacrifice their bodies over the middle.

Also, with a running game, they can sprint Darnold out and lessen his reads to only one side of the field. He has also shown an ability to throw on the run.

Think of what the Steelers are doing with Roethlesberger this year. It has been all quick slant and quick outs, with few plays going over 10 yards. Now, the Steelers have kept Ben pretty much in one spot. But, Ben has a better ability to see at the line what a defense is doing, and adjust on the fly pre-snap. Darnold has not shown that ability. Ben also can make several reads in his progression. Sam still does not seem comfortable in that.

There is value, but it would need to be in a system that can cater to his strengths, as limited as those are.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sam Darnold will have value for some team, and there is a system that can fit him.

That team will have to have a strong offensive line and be a threat at the run game. Allow play action to be a threat for Darnold, as the Jets have never been able to establish that part of the game to aid him.

That will open up the short and intermediate routes for Sam, and he has shown an aptitude to hit those routes when he is not getting a rush in his face. He will need strong slot receivers and a TE that will be willing to sacrifice their bodies over the middle.

Also, with a running game, they can sprint Darnold out and lessen his reads to only one side of the field. He has also shown an ability to throw on the run.

Think of what the Steelers are doing with Roethlesberger this year. It has been all quick slant and quick outs, with few plays going over 10 yards. Now, the Steelers have kept Ben pretty much in one spot. But, Ben has a better ability to see at the line what a defense is doing, and adjust on the fly pre-snap. Darnold has not shown that ability. Ben also can make several reads in his progression. Sam still does not seem comfortable in that.

There is value, but it would need to be in a system that can cater to his strengths, as limited as those are.

Good points. Analogy from a different sport , baseball. Roy Halladay, rest his soul, was just as highly rated as Sam when he was drafted by Toronto in the late 90's, early 2000's. I remember being at the annual New York area scouts dinner as a guest of a good friend who at the time was an area scout for the Cubs. We sat at the table with a Blue Jays scout, who couldn't stop raving about Halladay. He was still in the minors then, but was close. The scout just kept saying"remember the name."  Not too far from then, Halladay made it to the show, had some success, but then fell into a bunch of bad habits, was sent back down, and his career was at a crossroads before it ever really started. He volunteered to go back down to low A ball, and basically go through the system again to fix his mechanics and really learn to pitch again. The rest, as they say, is history. I can almost see a similar situation happening with Sam. Not saying he will ever accomplish anything close to Halladay, but getting with an organization that can actually develop players may in turn save his career, and let him reach his potential. Wouldn't shock me at all. Sam escaping Gase will be like a guy getting out of prison because of a DNA test.? I hope like hell for Sam, because he has been nothing but a total pro through all of this, and deserves so much better than what the Jets have saddled him with.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So you're saying someone would have given us a second rounder for our third overall draft pick?

Josh Rosen, 10th overall, garnered a 2nd. Sam’s 2020 has been way worse than Rosen’s rookie year. 

Have you watched Darnold play this year?