Relegation

I know this can't happen in the NFL but it's a shame the owners like the Johnsons can get away with the sh*t they pull without dire economic repercussions.  The Arsenal Football Club, one of the English Premier League's historically good programs, is in danger of relegation this year.  The fans are ready to riot.  That would get Fredo and Numb Nut's attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree 100 percent

Another way Europe is better?

When juventus got caught cheating they stripped away the title. None of this draft pick bs.

I know this can't happen in the NFL but it's a shame the owners like the Johnsons can get away with the sh*t they pull without dire economic repercussions.  The Arsenal Football Club, one of the English Premier League's historically good programs, is in danger of relegation this year.  The fans are ready to riot.  That would get Fredo and Numb Nut's attention.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Certainly would minimize the tank talk. But the NFL monopoly has it too good for them to ever consider anything so drastic. Plus English soccer has different leagues , where would relegated NFL teams go - Siberia 🥶 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, jgb said:

All the NFL has to do is allocate television revenues pro rata by the number of games each team plays, rather than an even 32-team split. It would make sense, since playoff teams are "earning" more of that television and ad revenue than the non-playoff teams. 

every league needs their own version of the Washington Generals and if you compensate them equally then they're happy to do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

every league needs their own version of the Washington Generals and if you compensate them equally then they're happy to do it. 

Every team gets $280M annually in league revenue share (according to the most recent GB Packers public disclosure that I could easily find). That's win or lose, tank or fight.

The most profitable way to run an NFL franchise is to cut expenses to the bone and live off that.

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, TMAC said:

To be fair, the premier league just started. I highly doubt that arsenal will come close to relegation.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Every team gets $280M annually in league revenue share (according to the most recent GB Packers public disclosure that I could easily find). That's win or lose, tank or fight.

The most profitable way to run an NFL franchise is to cut expenses to the bone and live off that.

Yep, The Jets have no reason to win and the league has no reason to incentive bottom feeders to make the playoffs when they can serve as punching bags for the rest of the league and still have people on the waiting list for PSLs that they'll sell off on stubhub because the Jets suck and they don't want to go to the games. 

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yep, The Jets have no reason to win and the league has no reason to incentive bottom feeders to make the playoffs when they can serve as punching bags for the rest of the league and still have people on the waiting list for PSLs that they'll sell off on stubhub because the Jets suck and they don't want to go to the games. 

I renew my motion to split league revenue share pro rata by the number of games each team plays each season. @Roger_Goodell

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I agree 100 percent

Another way Europe is better?

When juventus got caught cheating they stripped away the title. None of this draft pick bs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ha! Check my "location"  I was there!  Inter got the title, though they have earned plenty without that gift.  It wasn't just Juve,  AC Milan and a bunch of other teams were involved.

I was a Parma fan.  Welcome to my hell.  lol  That ownership situation makes the Johnsons look like saints.  At one point, we were down in third division.

51 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Certainly would minimize the tank talk. But the NFL monopoly has it too good for them to ever consider anything so drastic. Plus English soccer has different leagues , where would relegated NFL teams go - Siberia 🥶 

The SEC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TMAC said:

Isn’t the Premier league season only 1/3 of the way through?

Relegation wouldn’t work in the NFL.

Edited by AFJF
1 hour ago, jgb said:

All the NFL has to do is allocate television revenues pro rata by the number of games each team plays, rather than an even 32-team split. It would make sense, since playoff teams are "earning" more of that television and ad revenue than the non-playoff teams. 

Which would totally go against equal revenue sharing which is the heart of the league and its success.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which would totally go against equal revenue sharing which is the heart of the league and its success.

It's more equal revenue share. Every team gets paid the same amount for each time they are on TV. Right now, the Jets get paid up to 25% more per game than the eventual SB teams. Especially when you consider playoff games are worth more to the NFL and advertisers. How is that equal?

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

XFL

Just now, jgb said:

It's more equal revenue share. Every team gets paid the same amount for each time they are on TV.

Teams go through cycles.  When your hot and making the playoffs for a couple of years in a row youre happy and all for it.  When you go into a drought youre not.

How is it different than other sports without revenue sharing like hockey who's teams struggle if they dont get that much needed playoff influx to survive.  Its like when Jerry Jones whined asking why he should share merchandise and ticket sales with the league when his team merchandize is selling.  Totally forgetting how much he benefitted when the stadium was empty, there were no playoffs and no one was buying Cowboys jersey when his team was going 1-15

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Teams go through cycles.  When your hot and making the playoffs for a couple of years in a row youre happy and all for it.  When you go into a drought youre not.

How is it different than other sports without revenue sharing like hockey who's teams struggle if they dont get that much needed playoff influx to survive.  Its like when Jerry Jones whined asking why he should share merchandise and ticket sales with the league when his team merchandize is selling.  Totally forgetting how much he benefitted when the stadium was empty, there were no playoffs and no one was buying Cowboys jersey when his team was going 1-15

Because I'm not a Commie

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Dont look but the league is.  Only difference is in this scenario it works. 

They make a lot of money, there is no doubt. But the Egyptians built the pyramids without the wheel. "It works" is not the same as "it can't be improved."

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I was a Parma fan.  Welcome to my hell.  lol  That ownership situation makes the Johnsons look like saints.  At one point, we were down in third division.

I wasn't really a big soccer fan, but being in Milan we had the two teams playing at San Siro.  Eventually, one of my friends was like best buds with Cordoba's brother, so I started becoming a bit of an Interista.  My wife got me a biscione jersey last Christmas.

IvH8NWbl.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont look but the league is.  Only difference is in this scenario it works. 

does it tho? 

the salary cap and revenue sharing allow Green Bay Wisconsin to compete with big markets but it doesn't create an incentive to be good 

teams like the Jets and Jaguars are what they are, not because of some 4d chess 300 IQ  master plan to tank 

it's because winning and losing pays the same 

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wasn't really a big soccer fan, but being in Milan we had the two teams playing at San Siro.  Eventually, one of my friends was like best buds with Cordova's brother, so I started becoming a bit of an Interista.  My wife got me a biscione jersey last Christmas.

IvH8NWbl.jpg

Nice jersey.  I have a cousin in Milano who is an Inter tifoso.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, TMAC said:

Arsenal aren’t being relegated. They’ve had a slow start but they will end up in the top 10. Not too far from the typical top 6 finish. 

and Jets have had one of the highest payrolls in the league in the past. They are rebuilding and that’s completely normal. Not gonna have any more repercussions when they’re already making $0 from ticket sales and on their way to TL. Perfect season to tank for an owner. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

But it’s the sh*tty teams that make the playoff teams stand out...unless it’s the NFCE.