Relegation

TMAC

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Certainly would minimize the tank talk. But the NFL monopoly has it too good for them to ever consider anything so drastic. Plus English soccer has different leagues , where would relegated NFL teams go - Siberia ? 

College, lol.

New AFC East Team, Alabama.  Jets to go 0-fer in the SEC next season.

Hell, College is basically a Pro Sport in all but name anyway tbqh.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Every team gets $280M annually in league revenue share (according to the most recent GB Packers public disclosure that I could easily find). That's win or lose, tank or fight.

The most profitable way to run an NFL franchise is to cut expenses to the bone and live off that.

I remember Raiders doing that with like a 50-60% cap usage until the new CBA back in 2010 I believe. Now there’s no way around the cap charges. They all get carried forward and you’re forced to use it to like 98% I believe. You can cut CS expenses but there’s only really 3-4 guys worth paying. Rest aren’t that high paid. You need to sell merchandise as well but I believe that is shared with the NFL as well. 

And there are incentives for playoff push. Teams keep majority of the ticket sales. 

6 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

I remember Raiders doing that with like a 50-60% cap usage until the new CBA back in 2010 I believe. Now there’s no way around the cap charges. They all get carried forward and you’re forced to use it to like 98% I believe. You can cut CS expenses but there’s only really 3-4 guys worth paying. Rest aren’t that high paid. You need to sell merchandise as well but I believe that is shared with the NFL as well. 

And there are incentives for playoff push. Teams keep majority of the ticket sales. 

There are incentives but a cheap loser still has a higher NPV than an expensive maybe-winner. You gotta have an owner who wants to crush the playthings of his fellow billionaires rather than obsess over the profit margin of hot dogs at the stadium.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

There are incentives but a cheap loser still has a higher NPV than an expensive maybe-winner.

There are many arguments that can be made. Cost of living and taxes give an unfair advantage to some teams when players are mulling gazillion dollar deals. A dump of an apartment can cost $4-5k a month. No one wants to pay NY/NJ state tax plus possibly city tax on top of the federal tax. That’s why I think it was Lael Collins who chose Dallas, mainly for cheap living expense and no state tax. 10 minutes away from Cowboys Stadium and you can get a top of the line brand new 2-bed apartment for like $1500 a month. West coast teams have it even worse I believe. 

Apples to oranges. Can’t really come up with a fair split unless you use numerous indexes. 

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

ose Dallas, mainly for cheap living expense and no state tax. 10 minutes away from Cowboys Stadium and you can get a top of the line brand new 2-bed apartment for like $1500 a month. West coast teams have it even worse I believe. 

I actually wouldn't mind a team's salary cap to consider tax differentials. Cost-of-living is harder. It's an issue, to be sure.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

does it tho? 

the salary cap and revenue sharing allow Green Bay Wisconsin to compete with big markets but it doesn't create an incentive to be good 

teams like the Jets and Jaguars are what they are, not because of some 4d chess 300 IQ  master plan to tank 

it's because winning and losing pays the same 

When I said it works, it works for the owners. They all make money, make the same money and in the case of the NFL, no one loses.

For the owners who devised the system is sure as shlt works.

That you believe the Jets havent spent to win all during this system is your choice.  Its wrong but its your opinion

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When I said it works, it works for the owners. They all make money, make the same money and in the case of the NFL, no one loses.

For the owners who devised the system is sure as shlt works.

That you believe the Jets havent spent to win all during this system is your choice.  Its wrong but its your opinion

You have to admit there is a huge incentive for an owner to pay a Gase $3M a year versus Gruden $10M. That's 7 large direct into the pocket net. That's a lotta coin even for Woody Johnson. If losing had a financial cost, Adam Gase wouldn't be the NYJ HC.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

You have to admit there is a huge incentive for an owner to pay a Gase $3M a year versus Gruden $10M. That's 7 large direct into the pocket net. That's a lotta coin even for Woody Johnson. If losing had a financial cost, Adam Gase wouldn't be the NYJ HC.

I'd bet the house Gase doesnt get $3 to Grudens $10.  The average going rate for an experience NFL HC is $6 mil.

And 7 mil is chimp change to what a NFL team makes and to any multi billionaire

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'd bet the house Gase doesnt get $3 to Grudens $10.  The average going rate for an experience NFL HC is $6 mil.

And 7 mil is chimp change to what a NFL team makes. 

Not really chump change. $280M in rev share is a lot of money but running a team ain't cheap. $7M is probably about 5% to annual profit margin right there. A profit-driven owner could be forgiven for viewing that as free money. And that's the point. 

And Adam Gase ain't making no $6M.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I'm no gambler but i'm willing to bet when AG is fired after finishing 0-16 he never works in the NFL again unless its for a friend like maybe if Frank Gore gets a HC position. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And 7 mil is chimp change to what a NFL team makes and to any multi billionaire

the difference between Gase and Gruden keeps Woody in scones all winter long

and the difference between the salary floor and the cap is what the Jets call extra profit 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Not really chump change. $280M in rev share is a lot of money but running a team ain't cheap. $7M is probably about 5% to annual profit margin right there. A profit-driven owner could be forgiven for viewing that as free money. And that's the point. 

$7 mil is chump change to a NFL team and to someone worth over $4 B

The Jets made $497 mil last year. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

Its chump change in the grand scheme of things. 

We all have no idea what Gase makes.  6 is the average.  He doesnt make $3

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

$7 mil is chump change to a NFL team and to someone worth over $4 B

The Jets made $497 mil last year. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

Its chump change in the grand scheme of things. 

We all have no idea what Gase makes.  6 is the average.  He doesnt make $3

I dispute your source. The only team with public financials is GB. This may be an estimate but unless I can see the data behind it, I have no way to evaluate it (it's behind a paywall). What exactly is your argument? That Woody wouldn't like a few extra million when losing costs nothing? By keep pointing to the financials, you're proving my exact point: that they matter. You'd be shocked at how much pressure I am under to cut $10,000, $50,000, $100,000 from my annual budget in corporations that make billions every year. "But it's chump change!" is not a winning argument in the board room.

You will always have owners that manage teams like every CEO runs every business on earth: as profit-maximizing machines. I am suggesting nothing radical -- there should be a financial incentive to do well. If you really believed that Woody spends to win, this should not be controversial.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the difference between Gase and Gruden keeps Woody in scones all winter long

and the difference between the salary floor and the cap is what the Jets call extra profit 

And you keep making the same nonsensical comments about the Jets spending.  You cant come up with a single report to  back it your claims while we've come up with multiple reports saying youre just making it up.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you keep making the same nonsensical comments about the Jets spending.  You cant come up with a single report to  back it your claims while we've come up with multiple reports saying youre just making it up.

What arguments? That Woody doesn't want and extra couple million a year for zero effort? 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

What exactly is your argument? That Woody wouldn't like a few extra million when losing costs nothing? By keep pointing to the financials, you're proving my exact point: that they are king and matter.

Until there is an actual financial incentive to win, you will have owners that manage teams like every CEO on earth: as profit-maximizing machines. 

F* I described revenue sharing, how it works for NFL owners and youre whining about 7 million when WJ is worth $4B and the team has renues of just under $500M.  Yeah, I'm sure $7 mil is huge.

Goodnight, you and bit can high five each other or something, I'm done with this noises.  

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I dispute your source. The only team with public financials is GB. This may be an estimate but unless I can see the data behind it, I have no way to evaluate it (it's behind a paywall). What exactly is your argument? That Woody wouldn't like a few extra million when losing costs nothing? By keep pointing to the financials, you're proving my exact point: that they matter. You'd be shocked at how much pressure I am under to cut $10,000, $50,000, $100,000 from my annual budget in corporations that make billions every year. "But it's chump change!" is not a winning argument in the board room.

You will always have owners that manage teams like every CEO runs every business on earth: as profit-maximizing machines. I am suggesting nothing radical -- there should be a financial incentive to do well.

There you go, its over.  You dont believe those numbers.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

F* I described revenue sharing, how it works for NFL owners and youre whining about 7 million when WJ is worth $4B and the team has renues of just under $500M.  Yeah, I'm sure $7 mil is huge.

Goodnight, you and bit can high five each other or something, I'm done with this noises.  

No one is whining. You're defending Woody's pocketbook like you're in the will. This is just a debate. Chillax.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't shock me if Woody snaps up some mid level club In the English Championship League (the one below the  Premiership). I could see Woody wanting to spend a lot of time in London now that his Ambassador days are drawing to an end. I can see Woody with a fake put on English accent like Madonna.

20 hours ago, jgb said:

41E12475-5516-4D87-B113-0FA6DCBFA34B.jpeg.c9708d9102411a25c8b028f759bca1fc.jpeg

Gase signed his contract before Matt Rhule was hired and extensions were given out to the top coaches in the league (Reid, McVay, etc.), bumping the average up.

Gase was making right around league average when he signed his deal.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

41E12475-5516-4D87-B113-0FA6DCBFA34B.jpeg.c9708d9102411a25c8b028f759bca1fc.jpeg

Gase signed his contract before Matt Rhule was hired and extensions were given out to guys like Reid, bumping the average up.

Gase is making league average.

I'd be surprised at even $5M but maybe he is getting that but no way $6M.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I'd be surprised at even $5M but maybe he is getting that but no way $6M.

It’s probably 5.25-5.5, which, as I said, was right around league average before Matt Rhule signed his rich contract and Reid or McVay signed their deals, moving it more towards that average of 6 million.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s probably 5.25-5.5, which, as I said, was right around league average before Matt Rhule signed his rich contract and Reid or McVay signed their deals, moving it more towards that average of 6 million.

My guess is the nypost is speculating by applying the average value. They cite no source and when I looked for contract details last night for about 30 minutes, literally no other publication has anything about Gase's contract. I did find this nypost reference and some trash site that said $2M but was clearly unreliable.

Doesn't make it wrong, just not particularly reliable, either.

• WTF? 1