Carton and Roberts: THE Worst Show in WFAN History

I turned it on a couple of weeks ago and it was back off within 2 minutes. I can't stand the little puke Carton. The schtick of this convicted felon is old. Was Benigno forced out or did he willfully retire? I would listen to Joe and Evan occasionally and it was ok and at least it didn't make my ears bleed. I will never turn this show on again until Carton is gone. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Couldn't agree more with the OP.  (though Moose and Maggie is close, though for different reasons).  I've listened to a couple of minutes here and there while driving and I'm amazed this is what they're putting on the air.  I'm even more amazed people enjoy Carton (that's not to say Evan Roberts is good, btw.  And he's far worse opposite Carton).

I can't stand "wacky" morning shows but I recognize that it's a thing.  I could see Carton being successful in that type of role (even though I'd have no interest in listening).  WFAN should replace their weekday hosts with their weekend hosts and it would instantly be much better.  I wouldn't want the weekday guys to replace the weekend guys though.  Just audition a whole a new batch of potential hosts.

I actually like carton and Roberts but I agree that the weekend guys would be better suited

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

everyone tune in for 5 minutes and tell me I am wrong

you can't

you literally can not

I popped on the station for the first time in a long time.  Carton was making some stupid noises in the background, I couldn’t last a minute.  

Been listening to commercial free music on SiriusXM about a year now and I can’t find my way back to sports talk.  

Bart and Hahn are the only hosts I can enjoy now and even they are best consumed via podcast. 

Even at there best there is so little meat on these sports talk shows.  You get tons of commercials, traffic and weather, promos, bs talk about nonsense, talk about teams I don’t care about (giants, Yankees, golf in my case). Then you might get some Jets talk.  And with the guys these days, do they offer anything insightful?...

Bah, better off to sing along with the Beatles Channel damit.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Here is my issue:

Even with Joe and Evan, who were not great, you would tune in and there would be a somewhat linear sports narrative, sports topics, something being talked about...you could tune in and out and know they were covering the topics of the day/week and it was sports related or sports adjacent.

You tune in to this ******* moron, Carton, and he's talking about: sex, women, food, nonsense, garbage, crap, when he takes a dump, how many dumps he's taken, why he ate this, why he ate that, and on and on and on and on.

It's not a sports show.

It's crap.

Never liked his act . But if the Fan wanted him back the move was to put him back with Boomer and move Gio, who is ( crappy ) sports guy miscast as a morning shock jock to the afternoon with Evan . B and C in the mornings got  ratings and would have again . Gio and Evan would have worked better in the afternoon drive. Dumb management all around . 

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Couldn't agree more with the OP.  (though Moose and Maggie is close, though for different reasons).  I've listened to a couple of minutes here and there while driving and I'm amazed this is what they're putting on the air.  I'm even more amazed people enjoy Carton (that's not to say Evan Roberts is good, btw.  And he's far worse opposite Carton).

I can't stand "wacky" morning shows but I recognize that it's a thing.  I could see Carton being successful in that type of role (even though I'd have no interest in listening).  WFAN should replace their weekday hosts with their weekend hosts and it would instantly be much better.  I wouldn't want the weekday guys to replace the weekend guys though.  Just audition a whole a new batch of potential hosts.

Yeah. WFAN needs a whole reboot.  fire everyone and start over.  Top to bottom.  

Although, as you state, the weekend guys are good.  

5 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I miss Joe & Evan and how they would invite national and local beat writers on to talk like most sports talk radios shows. The new Carton show doesn’t do that for some reason.

Instead of bringing in new talent they’ve given up on sports on afternoon drive and are trying to do an Imus/Stern more generic thing instead. Roberts is wasted in this format.

I think Boomer, Gio, & Carton in the morning would be best.  And then try to go traditional sports for afternoon drive.  I’d prefer JJ and Evan to Carton and Evan in the afternoon. 

12 hours ago, Dupe said:

I popped on the station for the first time in a long time.  Carton was making some stupid noises in the background, I couldn’t last a minute.  

Been listening to commercial free music on SiriusXM about a year now and I can’t find my way back to sports talk.  

Bart and Hahn are the only hosts I can enjoy now and even they are best consumed via podcast. 

Even at there best there is so little meat on these sports talk shows.  You get tons of commercials, traffic and weather, promos, bs talk about nonsense, talk about teams I don’t care about (giants, Yankees, golf in my case). Then you might get some Jets talk.  And with the guys these days, do they offer anything insightful?...

Bah, better off to sing along with the Beatles Channel damit.  

One thing I don't get about local radio; I can get weather, traffic, sports scores and news on my phone. Or you could tune to an AM all news station. Other than filing air time, NOBODY NEEDS YOUR POINTLESS UPDATES. It's like trying to sell people beepers, mimiograph machines  and horse-drawn carriages in 2020. Problem with any show like this is they're constantly selling you on what's upcoming and never get to it because the show is clogged with commercials and this extraneous crap. And they like it like that; makes it way easier for them. There is so much better in podcasts and music options on your phone for free anyway, it's a business model that won't survive much longer. Nobody under 40 (50?60?) listens to this crap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Worst show in WFAN history is a little much. I think Maggie and Bart was a worse show personally. However, Carton and Roberts is the type of show where the more you listen the better it gets because the show is based off of their personalities a lot more than sports talk. Like you actually have to look forward to hearing them talk. Show got a huge bump in rating since Joe B left. I was a big fan of Joe B's rants even though I do not think he understood anything about the modern NFL. 

What’s up Evan!

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Instead of bringing in new talent they’ve given up on sports on afternoon drive and are trying to do an Imus/Stern more generic thing instead. Roberts is wasted in this format.

I think Boomer, Gio, & Carton in the morning would be best.  And then try to go traditional sports for afternoon drive.  I’d prefer JJ and Evan to Carton and Evan in the afternoon. 

Bring Chris Russo back and give him the entire 5 hour afternoon slot once Sirius cans him because they need to cut costs to pay Stern

11 hours ago, hungry jackson said:

Give them a freaking chance. The two just started a few weeks ago

Giving them a 5 hour show from 2-7 pm is a little too much though. I see them cutting the hours soon.

And most of all EVAN is the best on WFAN by far .

Evan was just a guy to play off Beningo while he would rant about the Jets, Mets, Knicks and Rangers

Carton knows nothing about sports.  He’s not funny.  Evan knows nothing.  I will never listen to the show but how these two are supposed to have chemistry is mind boggling 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There is so much better in podcasts and music options on your phone for free anyway, it's a business model that won't survive much longer. Nobody under 40 (50?60?) listens to this crap. 

Exactly right.  Sports talk radio is dead. 

Used to be we couldn't wait to hear the hot take the next morning from the newspapers and the radio hosts.  Today, we get that immediately, either from fans in forums like this one, postgame shows, or Twitter.  By the time the lunch host or the drivetime host gives us his take it's very old news.

Same for the callers and the back-and-forth debate they sometimes bring.  They've been replaced by the 'reply' button.

The format is dead.  They just don't know it yet.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Used to be we couldn't wait to hear the hot take the next morning from the newspapers and the radio hosts.  Today, we get that immediately, either from fans in forums like this one, postgame shows, or Twitter.  By the time the lunch host or the drivetime host gives us his take it's very old news.

Same for the callers and the back-and-forth debate they sometimes bring.  They've been replaced by the 'reply' button.

SAR I

That’s not true.  Sports radio in big markets like NY can still make a lot of money through ad billing.  Businesses like to advertise on terrestrial radio because the ads are very cheap to produce

WFAN is imploding due to mismanagement and overpaying legacy hosts who don’t move the needle

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

One thing I don't get about local radio; I can get weather, traffic, sports scores and news on my phone. Or you could tune to an AM all news station. Other than filing air time, NOBODY NEEDS YOUR POINTLESS UPDATES. It's like trying to sell people beepers, mimiograph machines  and horse-drawn carriages in 2020. Problem with any show like this is they're constantly selling you on what's upcoming and never get to it because the show is clogged with commercials and this extraneous crap. And they like it like that; makes it way easier for them. There is so much better in podcasts and music options on your phone for free anyway, it's a business model that won't survive much longer. Nobody under 40 (50?60?) listens to this crap. 

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

tumblr_m9p3uqZrwA1qaxm50o1_500.gif

I like Robert's. He's nerdy for sure but I appreciate how knowledgeable he is. You can tell he really lives for sports and knows his stuff. I've felt that he has been carrying the show with Joe for YEAAARS since Beningo clearly mentally retired a long time ago. I'm not even sure he has actually watched any sports in the last 5+ years. 

I had some hope for these two but its turned out to be exactly what I had feared with Carton completely taking over the show with his nonsense from day 1. There are moments where I find Carton tolerable but they are few and far between. I detest people that think they are funny while being anything BUT funny and thats Craig Carton hands down. He acts like he is some kind of sports shock jock, the Howard Stern of WFAN because he says words like "Douchey" and rants about how hot Justin Herbert's girlfriend is. The fact that he's still doing that "La-La-La" sh*t from Seinfeld makes me want to punch him in the face through the radio. 

I could care less about what he is done in the past and what he was arrested for. I'm big on everyone deserving the right to overcome their past. The man went to jail and was punished for his mistakes, that's the end of that as far as I'm concerned. I don't agree with the people that say he shouldn't be on the station because of that. I hate him on the show just because he's a jerkoff. The FAN should bring back Fancessa and make him do a show with Carton. I would pay money to hear those two have to deal with each other 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Bring Chris Russo back and give him the entire 5 hour afternoon slot once Sirius cans him because they need to cut costs to pay Stern

Doesnt Russo do his shown with Phil Sims or someone now? I feel like I heard an ad for him while I was listening to a different xm station. I had thought Russo did his shown solo. 

Quite honestly, Personally I never got the attraction to Russo ??‍♂️ I cant stand the way he talks. I don't know if it's an accent I can't pin down or a speech impediment or something but I just can't stand something about the way he talks.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jolot said:

Never liked his act . But if the Fan wanted him back the move was to put him back with Boomer and move Gio, who is ( crappy ) sports guy miscast as a morning shock jock to the afternoon with Evan . B and C in the mornings got  ratings and would have again . Gio and Evan would have worked better in the afternoon drive. Dumb management all around . 

I actually saw that horrrible Carton infomercial/'documentary' on HBO Max. I got the read that Boomer was incredibly pissed about how everything went down - I'd bet he didn't want to work with Carton anymore. He's got his NFL work, he doesn't 'need' the WFAN gig.

43 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I actually saw that horrrible Carton infomercial/'documentary' on HBO Max. I got the read that Boomer was incredibly pissed about how everything went down - I'd bet he didn't want to work with Carton anymore. He's got his NFL work, he doesn't 'need' the WFAN gig.

This doesn't surprise me. I actually like Boomer and Gio. I never listened to the morning show and at the time, I thought that I disliked both of them but in the years since Carton left I'm realizing it was just him I couldn't stand all along. I like Boomer and Gio together. Ive really missed Gio's impersonations of Francessa since he left. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I am 35 and have been listening to WFAN religiously since I graduated college in 2007.  I sort of watched the Benigno/Roberts arch, Francesa's solo years and...now...this...

I listen to podcasts 80% of the time but, I like to check WFAN every now and again and lately, it's just "turn it on, turn it off"....like literally within minutes.

Moose and Maggie are the best product in daytime and that's saying a lot.

Also: I love John Jastremski, Sal Licata is solid and Chris McMonigle has a nice demeanor and seems approachable in the overnights and weekends--I am on west coast time so I hear more of the overnights and they have some decent, sports focused guys there.

Jastremski should have a daytime job by now.  Don't @ me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I like Robert's. He's nerdy for sure but I appreciate how knowledgeable he is. You can tell he really lives for sports and knows his stuff. I've felt that he has been carrying the show with Joe for YEAAARS since Beningo clearly mentally retired a long time ago. I'm not even sure he has actually watched any sports in the last 5+ years. 

I had some hope for these two but its turned out to be exactly what I had feared with Carton completely taking over the show with his nonsense from day 1. There are moments where I find Carton tolerable but they are few and far between. I detest people that think they are funny while being anything BUT funny and thats Craig Carton hands down. He acts like he is some kind of sports shock jock, the Howard Stern of WFAN because he says words like "Douchey" and rants about how hot Justin Herbert's girlfriend is. The fact that he's still doing that "La-La-La" sh*t from Seinfeld makes me want to punch him in the face through the radio. 

I could care less about what he is done in the past and what he was arrested for. I'm big on everyone deserving the right to overcome their past. The man went to jail and was punished for his mistakes, that's the end of that as far as I'm concerned. I don't agree with the people that say he shouldn't be on the station because of that. I hate him on the show just because he's a jerkoff. The FAN should bring back Fancessa and make him do a show with Carton. I would pay money to hear those two have to deal with each other 

agreed across the board on Carton.

Give the guy a second chance, let him have redemption.

But he suckkkssssssssssssssssssssssssss.  Like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.