Carton and Roberts: THE Worst Show in WFAN History

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That’s not true.  Sports radio in big markets like NY can still make a lot of money through ad billing.  Businesses like to advertise on terrestrial radio because the ads are very cheap to produce

WFAN is imploding due to mismanagement and overpaying legacy hosts who don’t move the needle

Sports talk radio is a race to the bottom.  The only listeners left are the ones who aren't paying for Cable or Streaming.  If it weren't for gambling ads appealing to the blue collar crowd, they'd be done already.  Once DraftKings have hit peak subscribers, they'll start pulling back and that will be that.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sports talk radio is a race to the bottom.  The only listeners left are the ones who aren't paying for Cable or Streaming.  If it weren't for gambling ads appealing to the blue collar crowd, they'd be done already.  Once DraftKings have hit peak subscribers, they'll start pulling back and that will be that.

SAR I

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

agreed across the board on Carton.

Give the guy a second chance, let him have redemption.

But he suckkkssssssssssssssssssssssssss.  Like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

Yup????

I've argue with anyone and defend him all day long when it comes to whether or not he should have a job because of what he did. In fact, the fact that WFAN gives him a platform to bring awareness to what he has struggled with I think is a good thing. He just sucks as what he does and I avoid listening to him for that reason lol. The fact that he has a job again? Good for him, I'm happy for him. 

I flipped to WFAN yesterday afternoon while I was driving and the second I turn on their show, I hear Carton on a rant about Lamar Jackson taking a sh*t during the Ravens game. Perfect example of why the guy is unbearable. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Yup????

I've argue with anyone and defend him all day long when it comes to whether or not he should have a job because of what he did. In fact, the fact that WFAN gives him a platform to bring awareness to what he has struggled with I think is a good thing. He just sucks as what he does and I avoid listening to him for that reason lol. The fact that he has a job again? Good for him, I'm happy for him. 

I flipped to WFAN yesterday afternoon while I was driving and the second I turn on their show, I hear Carton on a rant about Lamar Jackson taking a sh*t during the Ravens game. Perfect example of why the guy is unbearable. 

bingo!

*turns radio off*

My favorite NFL football shows growing up as a kid were NFL Primetime with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson.

HBO's Inside The NFL was also a show that I lived for throughout my childhood days with Len Dawson, Nick Buoniconti and Chris Collinsworth (Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Glanville too) but then later on starting in the early 2000's the likes of Bob Costas, Chris Collinsworth, Dan Marino and Chris Carter were my absolute favorites and my favorite part of the show was when they'd go over every up coming games with their predictions etc man I miss both of those shows. 

I swear. They just don't make these shows like they used to anymore. 

And I absolutely HATE the new Inside the NFL with James Brown, Phil Simms, Brandon Marshall, and Ray Lewis (and Warren Sapp made me quit on the show back in 2008ish). 

Another show that I miss is Mike and Mike in the morning (great chemistry together and were entertaining for me). 

Does anyone have any NFL shows that you believe would peak my interest? It's been a couple of years now since I've really tried to watch any of them...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Instead of bringing in new talent they’ve given up on sports on afternoon drive and are trying to do an Imus/Stern more generic thing instead. Roberts is wasted in this format.

I think Boomer, Gio, & Carton in the morning would be best.  And then try to go traditional sports for afternoon drive.  I’d prefer JJ and Evan to Carton and Evan in the afternoon. 

I think JJ and Evan would be great together. 

I might get some hate but I also really liked Kim Jones when he would fill in for people. Feel like I havent heard her on in awhile though. I would take her over Maggie Gray in a heart beat. That early afternoon show has been HORRIBLE since the day CMB started and it hasnt gotten any better with the guys they've stuck with Maggie since the original show fell apart. 

Unequivocally. And it bothers me bc I’m usually doing a lot of driving when they’re on and now have had to revert to full time podcasts. I use to break between the two pending my mood. Carton I find to be a deplorable human, worst than Fatso bc Fatso at least was once great and did build the whole thing. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I might get some hate but I also really liked Kim Jones when he would fill in for people. Feel like I havent heard her on in awhile though. I would take her over Maggie Gray in a heart beat. That early afternoon show has been HORRIBLE since the day CMB started and it hasnt gotten any better with the guys they've stuck with Maggie since the original show fell apart. 

No - Kim was really good. She knew her stuff on the NFL and had good sources. Unfortunately - and I'm going to say the quiet part out loud - most men really don't want to hear women talk sports.

I've never been a fan of Mike Francesa not only because he's an NYG fan who mocks the Jets but he's also always been a flat out prick to his callers who calls in (he tries to belittle them imo). 

However in 2009 and 2010 when we were exciting and fun to watch under Rex I'd go out of my way to record and later on watch his shows after work back then because the Jets being relevant was absolutely eating him alive on air and it was comical for me (I haven't watched or listened to him ever since). 

I used to fall asleep listening to him he's so boring he can literally put you to sleep. 

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I agree that Kim Jones > Maggie Gray.  Maggie seems to defend bad points just for the sake of argument a lot of the time, and it's annoying. 

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Yup????

Probably because he just dropped a bundle on the Browns and Paulie Walnuts is after him to pay up.

2 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

No - Kim was really good. She knew her stuff on the NFL and had good sources. Unfortunately - and I'm going to say the quiet part out loud - most men really don't want to hear women talk sports.

I know that, unfortunately, that's something women have to struggle with when it comes to anything in the sports world. It's not a coincidence that any female sideline reporter you get a quick clip of during a game also happens to be an absolute knockout. 

I liked Kim a lot. As you said, she knew her sh*t and generally gave some of the best analysis of anyone on that station. She was also overall just a pleasure to listen, imo. Nice person, knew how to get her point across and argue with without being a d-bag. I've hoped she would get a regular show for awhile. I wonder if she still has a contract with wfan because I dont think I've heard her in quite awhile, although I don't listen nearly as much as I used to. I don't know how the hell Maggie Gray has a show and Kim Jones doesn't. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've never been a fan of Mike Francesa not only because he's an NYG fan who mocks the Jets but he's also always been a flat out prick to his callers who calls in (he tries to belittle them imo). 

However in 2009 and 2010 when we were exciting and fun to watch under Rex I'd go out of my way to record and later on watch his shows after work back then because the Jets being relevant was absolutely eating him alive on air and it was comical for me (I haven't watched or listened to him ever since). 

I used to fall asleep listening to him he's so boring he can literally put you to sleep. 

You realize it was ALL an act and a schtick, yes?  Guy was laughing all the way to the bank of Jets fans thinking "Mike hates the Jets!"

It was a schtick.  It got callers.  It got ratings.  It got people talking about the show.  It increased his listeners.

He got paid for doing all of that.

Smart man.

Smarter than you for not realizing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

11 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

11 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Kim Jones is a good host.  She deserves to be on a show.  I don’t know if they have a good match for her at the moment but they ought to try. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

A lot of people still listen to terrestrial radio.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  Stick to defending Gase

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2020 at 6:19 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I am also a fan of hard core sports talk.  I got Sirius XM radio 10 years ago and never looked back. WFAN was a good listen pre 2010 with Mike and the Mad Dog.  Francesca was like nails on a blackboard alone.  ESPN radio never did it for me, although Mike and Mike in the AM was tolerable in the beginning.  Everyone else was and is a joke.  Besides it was baseball and Yankees 80% of the time with Francesca and Kay competing and never any semi-intelligent or knowledgeable hockey talk.  When ESPN picked up the NBA, ESPN became NBA 24/7 and I don't care for that.  Michael Kay wouldn't know a football if it hit him in the nose. Now I'm all NFL radio, Fantasy Sports radio, NHL radio etc. I can listen to any game I want in any sport.  I have no need for these clowns and haven't had a need for a long time. It's been great.  

I'm very new to XM/ SIrius. Just bought my first new car at the ripe old age of 56, and I'm loving the music. Don't want to sidetrack the thread ,but what are the real good sports stations to load in my presets? Their are so many choices for sports ,it's overwhelming. I'm not a fantasy or betting guy so I don't like those subjects.

20 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I am 35 and have been listening to WFAN religiously since I graduated college in 2007.  I sort of watched the Benigno/Roberts arch, Francesa's solo years and...now...this...

I listen to podcasts 80% of the time but, I like to check WFAN every now and again and lately, it's just "turn it on, turn it off"....like literally within minutes.

Moose and Maggie are the best product in daytime and that's saying a lot.

Also: I love John Jastremski, Sal Licata is solid and Chris McMonigle has a nice demeanor and seems approachable in the overnights and weekends--I am on west coast time so I hear more of the overnights and they have some decent, sports focused guys there.

Jastremski should have a daytime job by now.  Don't @ me.

I thinks Jastremski is really good too. I like his regular sports show. I don't like the "odds on" slant the put on his show. He knows his sports, he knows his sports history,and his interaction with the callers are pretty good. He reminds me of a "Baby Mad Dog"

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

A lot of people still listen to terrestrial radio.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  Stick to defending Gase

Sure, if they a) are below middle class, b) are over the age of 50, and c) don't have a streaming subscription.

I have 4 kids under the age of 23, they don't even know what terrestrial radio is.  I gave them Sirius XM in their car, they never listen to it.  They connect their iPhone's to CarPlay, ask Siri to play Apple Music, and that's that.  Same for the HomePod's in their rooms.  When they want hot sports takes, they go straight to Twitter and Instagram.

SAR I

19 hours ago, southtown24th said:

You realize it was ALL an act and a schtick, yes?  Guy was laughing all the way to the bank of Jets fans thinking "Mike hates the Jets!"

It was a schtick.  It got callers.  It got ratings.  It got people talking about the show.  It increased his listeners.

He got paid for doing all of that.

Smart man.

Smarter than you for not realizing it.

funny - that's the literal reason i never listened to him.

59 minutes ago, heymangold said:

funny - that's the literal reason i never listened to him.

So there you go...

But for all these morons who say, "oh he was a Giants fan and and and and and he hated the Jets and and and and he is so mean and and and and he's a bully"...

That's just DUMB.  The guy had one job and one job alone (and he did that job VERY well): tweak the right listeners and the right fan bases to DRIVE NUMBERS.

Period.

• Upvote 2