Fields dropping and Wilson is rising

AL047

BYU QB Zach Wilson is charging up 2021 NFL Draft boards (nypost.com)

One NFL executive even said they believe that Wilson will ultimately overtake Fields in the coming months ahead of April’s 2021 NFL Draft.

Ohio State’s Justin Fields was presumed to be the second-overall pick. But the Buckeyes QB has fallen under a little more scrutiny as the season has gone on. And BYU’s Zach Wilson has emerged as an elite playmaker, who went from a bubble first-round prospect to a potential top-10 pick.

One NFL executive even said they believe that Wilson will ultimately overtake Fields in the coming months ahead of April’s 2021 NFL Draft.

I'm not sold on Justin Fields, this is one QB that is beginning to show cracks on his armor!!!

• Upvote 1

Yep, Fields slid a bit after a bad game against Indiana I think.  Followed it up with a very solid game against Mich. ST.   Yes Wilson has really been on the rise.  Really impressed me in a loss to Coastl Carolina.

At least 3

good QB's in this draft.  Wish Lance had played

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

I have a theory that no Jets fan actually wants Fields or anyone else over Lawrence. It's emotional hedging against the disappointment if Gase somehow trips over his Johnsons and falls into a win.

Trey Lance is the other QB that I wouldn't mind us taking but I can't say that I'm an expert on any of these guys.  My trust is in Joe D.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Trey Lance is the other QB that I wouldn't mind us taking but I can't say that I'm an expert on any of these guys.  My trust is in Joe D.

My trust is in an independent JD. Wish we could check him for puppet strings before draft/HC selection process.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Lawrence/Mayfield

Wilson/Darnold

Lance/Allen

Fields/Jackson

Its happening all over again... 

Maybe we pick the right guy this time in the right spot though. 

Edit for clarification: Not comparing each player. Just that theres 4 prospects somewhat projected closely together, and we could end up choosing badly again. 

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is Mac Jones the #3?

Lawrence

Fields

Wilson

Lance

Mac Joes

I like Mac Jones a lot.  He is not a guy that will totally turn around a terrible team but he has looked very good in a lot of important areas for Bama, his pocket presence is very good.

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Lawrence/Mayfield

Wilson/Darnold

Lance/Allen

Fields/Jackson

The funny thing is that the reaction on this board would’ve been nuclear if the Jets had taken Josh Allen over Darnold in that number #3 spot.

IF the Jets end up picking second instead of first, and take Wilson over Fields, what would the reaction be?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Lawrence/Mayfield

Wilson/Darnold

Lance/Allen

Fields/Jackson

Edit for clarification: Not comparing each player. Just that theres 4 prospects somewhat projected closely together, and we could end up choosing badly again. 

Lol what? The only como you made there that makes any sense is Lance/ Allen and even then Lance is more likely to succeed than Allen. I don’t mean that Lance will be better than Allen but simple that Allen’s success is without precedent while Lance’s would be more understandable.

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Lol what? The only como you made there that makes any sense is Lance/ Allen and even then Lance is more likely to succeed than Allen. I don’t mean that Lance will be better than Allen but simple that Allen’s success is without precedent while Lance’s would be more understandable.

These are not comparisons of each player. 

Just that there are 4 QB prospects tightly grouped together again when we are picking one. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Lawrence is the #1 pick for sure but the difference between him and several other QBs in the end will be a lot smaller than people are projecting.

I think the "small difference" between Lawerence and anyone else will play out in the media and with fans but amongst NFL personnel the gap will be very, very wide.

Sure there are reasons you can make as to why you think Lawerence might be "overrated" - supporting cast, never had to deal with adversity, "deep ball accuracy", etc.  But the reason Lawerence is so elite is not just because he has a good arm, is 6'6 and can run, its because he actually plays the position at an elite level.  That isnt gonna necessarily result in highlights and it may actually serve to pump up his supporting cast but simply getting the ball to the open player, whether its down the field or a check down is the job, and Lawrence does that job better then any QB in a long time and has done so since his freshman year.  

To win a SB you will absolutely need your QB to string together elite play, game winning drives etc in the playoffs and make a  or 2 "wow throws a game".  But he will also need to make all the small plays throughout the season to get you to 10+ wins every year and into the playoffs to begin with and thats where Lawerence excels and why there is zero chance anyone unseats him as the #1 overall pick. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

I think the "small difference" between Lawerence and anyone else will play out in the media and with fans but amongst NFL personnel the gap will be very, very wide.

Sure there are reasons you can make as to why you think Lawerence might be "overrated" - supporting cast, never had to deal with adversity, "deep ball accuracy", etc.  But the reason Lawerence is so elite is not just because he has a good arm, is 6'6 and can run, its because he actually plays the position at an elite level.  That isnt gonna necessarily result in highlights and it may actually serve to pump up his supporting cast but simply getting the ball to the open player, whether its down the field or a check down is the job, and Lawrence does that job better then any QB in a long time and has done so since his freshman year.  

To win a SB you will absolutely need your QB to string together elite play, game winning drives etc in the playoffs and make a  or 2 "wow throws a game".  But he will also need to make all the small plays throughout the season to get you to 10+ wins every year and into the playoffs to begin with and thats where Lawerence excels and why there is zero chance anyone unseats him as the #1 overall pick. 

As I've said a few times this notre dame game and then the nat champ playoffs is critical to see if lawrence is as you and every one else says he is.

Last year playing teams with similar talent (ohio state and then lsu) he did nothing to appear to be gods gift to QBing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

At this point, seeing that our GM’s have been so wrong in picking the right guy in the past, The probability/ stats/ analytics would conclude that this team’s brain chest will whiff again.

So why not let the World’s top Madden NFL player choose or better yet a Chimp decide?

Just venting. The draft can’t come soon enough.