Trevor says he’d be ready to come to the Jets!

Rhg1084

34 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Fans such as myself (and thousands of others) will always and forever be able to ?? at fans such as yourself who wanted to experience and witness (yet) another meaningless 1-15, 2-14, 3-13 and/or 4-12 type of season...

I think you missed the point completely. 

34 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But yeah. Good luck to you on rooting for wins against the Rams, Browns and Patriots and I hope you enjoy yourself along with your "winning" mentality while doing so too ??

"Good luck rooting for the Jets" - DWC 

No luck needed and no stress, I've taken what I see as the best route this year.  I will not root against the Jets, and I won't begrudge those who do, I'll just watch someone else try and make a playoff run these last few weeks I can root for instead.  Problem solved on my end.  

What will be will be.  If we get the #1 pick, great.  If not, great, we still get a good pick and a shot at a great player.  Nothing I (or any of us) can do to change it anyway, so no point so deeply investing in failure IMO. 

But you do you.

Like I said, if they win, all that negative energy spent hoping for loses will have been wasted.  You'll be even more mad and angry at the team.  

And if we lose out, you'll be no happier then me about having the #1 pick, be assured.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

So he confirmed 2 things in this video, he’s leaving school and he’ll go to whoever drafts him. Jets just need to lose these last 3 games and we got ourselves generational prospect 

Douglas is setting trip wires all over Florham Park as we speak, hoping to cause no fewer than 10 sprained ankles for starters as we head into the homestretch here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

The media seems to hate us and wants continued failure for our team.

No

The media does this with every QB who is the consensus #1 when they to interviews him

They asked Darnold if he would go to Cleveland if they selected him 1st two years ago

The asked Burrrow if he would go to Cincinnati if they selected him 1st last year. 

Its what the shlt stirrers do, hope against hope theres an Eli in this draft

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you missed the point completely. 

"Good luck rooting for the Jets" - DWC 

No luck needed and no stress, I've taken what I see as the best route this year.  I will not root against the Jets, and I won't begrudge those who do, I'll just watch someone else try and make a playoff run these last few weeks I can root for instead.  Problem solved on my end.  

What will be will be.  If we get the #1 pick, great.  If not, great, we still get a good pick and a shot at a great player.  Nothing I (or any of us) can do to change it anyway, so no point so deeply investing in failure IMO. 

But you do you.

Like I said, if they win, all that negative energy spent hoping for loses will have been wasted.  You'll be even more mad and angry at the team.  

And if we lose out, you'll be no happier then me about having the #1 pick, be assured.

Why do you think of rooting for a loss as being negative energy related?

I root for losses as being the shortest path for us back for the Jets to becoming a winning team.  Nothing negative about it. Once the season was dead and buried for us (pretty early on TBH) but once it was then the positive position from my point of view was hoping for the guy who can turn it around that fastest (Trevor Lawrence)

I have been rooting for tragic losses.  Losses where we were actually in the game until late.  Most of the time I have gotten to see that.  Not this past weekend  to be sure but most of the time.  I see glimmers of talent here and there and that is encouraging.  We have a bushel of picks and our cap position also leaves us in a spot where we might be able to pick up significant pieces of the puzzle in a buyers market where the rest of the league needs to adjust to a downturn in the salary cap.

There is nothing dishonorable or negative about my position from where I sit and frankly we have come close quite a few times only to get a meaningless win in the garbage time part of a schedule and this has screwed it all up.

Not this year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This. I am very concerned that JD didn't convince ownership to force Gase to hire a QB coach. It would be interesting to see how many First Round QBs played their first 3 years in the NFL without a dedicated position coach (because if my memory is correct, Darnold did not have a QB coach in year 1).

It was and is a DISGRACE and why I said that the Jets let Darnold down!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, QB1 said:

He hasn't decided if he's coming out yet- what could be holding him back? Hmmm I wonder. 

Well, it would be his own stupidity.

1) He risks a career ending injury in school....for what?

2) If he goes back to school, the worst team next year will take him, and may not have all the endorsement dollars that comes with being a star QB in New York.

3) We might still be the worst team in 2022 draft, or we might have the draft capital to go and get him in 2022.

30 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Why do you think of rooting for a loss as being negative energy related?

I root for losses as being the shortest path for us back for the Jets to becoming a winning team.  Nothing negative about it. Once the season was dead and buried for us (pretty early on TBH) but once it was then the positive position from my point of view was hoping for the guy who can turn it around that fastest (Trevor Lawrence)

I have been rooting for tragic losses.  Losses where we were actually in the game until late.  Most of the time I have gotten to see that.  Not this past weekend  to be sure but most of the time.  I see glimmers of talent here and there and that is encouraging.  We have a bushel of picks and our cap position also leaves us in a spot where we might be able to pick up significant pieces of the puzzle in a buyers market where the rest of the league needs to adjust to a downturn in the salary cap.

There is nothing dishonorable or negative about my position from where I sit and frankly we have come close quite a few times only to get a meaningless win in the garbage time part of a schedule and this has screwed it all up.

Not this year.

I'm not here to judge you, you do you.  If you're good, what I think should mean nothing.  I generally think rooting for something is positive, rooting against something is negative, but to each their own.

I'm usually Lord Pragmatic, and the "root for losses" view is entirely pragmatic.

Just curious where it ends.....if we're not going to win it all, technically the best thing to happen is to go 0-16 and get the #1 pick.  Do we root for all losses the second we're sure we're not winning it all?  Do we start a year rooting for losses if we think we don't have what it takes?  People who do both could argue all the same things you do above, it's entirely logical, entirely pragmatic to do so.

Me, I believe we could get the #1 pick for the rest of time and that alone will never bring us back to competitiveness for titles.  Winning is the only cure for losing.  Win, then build on the wins and win more.  Build.  We're the poster child for failure to build or maintain and have any consistency.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Not keep him in school. 

Try and orchestrate a trade like some people have speculated he could do. It doesn't sound like he's interested in trying to pull an Eli Manning though.  

Oh, I see. That would be foolish. The amount of money an athlete can make in promotions in NYC most likely exceeds that of any where else.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's because of what the Jets did to Sam Darnold.  It's a travesty.  Showed a complete and utter lack of understanding of what to do once you draft a potential FQB.

I would be very worried if I was TL.

And who will be left next season from the coaching staff and management that caused that?  Nobody. Of course, Jacksonville is a much better destination with a much better roster and a long history of developing quality QBs.

The same people who are upset because the Jets may go 0-16 are contending that Lawrence should avoid the Jets. What kind of fans are you people?  

14 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

All this premature news is such bad news for us. This never ends well for jet fans. 

Somehow, someway, we will win a game. It’s in their blood to upset us. 

Any other year we would have all but clinched it by now. Only the Jets have to compete against a team that loses 12 in a row.

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And who will be left next season from the coaching staff and management that caused that?  Nobody. Of course, Jacksonville is a much better destination with a much better roster and a long history of developing quality QBs.

The same people who are upset because the Jets may go 0-16 are contending that Lawrence should avoid the Jets. What kind of fans are you people?  

JD and CJ will be left.

I don't want him to avoid the Jets - desperately don't want him to.

I can understand him being worried though.  There are justifiable reasons for concern.

13 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Any other year we would have all but clinched it by now. Only the Jets have to compete against a team that loses 12 in a row.

29 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

All this premature news is such bad news for us. This never ends well for jet fans. 

Somehow, someway, we will win a game. It’s in their blood to upset us. 

I am legitimately terrified. The Patriots have an offense from the year 1941. That last game is a lot closer to a coin flip than many people want to admit. And the Jags only shot is against the Bears. 

4 hours ago, jetsjets said:

I hate all this talk about Trevor. Please just let the season play out. We don’t know what will happen. Pats could easily block us and we all know as Jets fans that could be our reality. Or we could get the 1st pick and grab DL. Just rather we talk about this when the season is over

So....What should we talk about instead?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans are going to be so annoyed that Gase’s plan to clean up this sh*thole franchise actually worked that they’re going to root against Trevor Lawrence out of spite even though Gase will be long gone.

Please.  Gase didn't have a plan beyond firing Macc.  Which I'll be forever thankful for.  But that's plenty of credit.  There's no need to try to manufacture more for your boy.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm not here to judge you, you do you.  If you're good, what I think should mean nothing.  I generally think rooting for something is positive, rooting against something is negative, but to each their own.

I'm usually Lord Pragmatic, and the "root for losses" view is entirely pragmatic.

Just curious where it ends.....if we're not going to win it all, technically the best thing to happen is to go 0-16 and get the #1 pick.  Do we root for all losses the second we're sure we're not winning it all?  Do we start a year rooting for losses if we think we don't have what it takes?  People who do both could argue all the same things you do above, it's entirely logical, entirely pragmatic to do so.

Me, I believe we could get the #1 pick for the rest of time and that alone will never bring us back to competitiveness for titles.  Winning is the only cure for losing.  Win, then build on the wins and win more.  Build.  We're the poster child for failure to build or maintain and have any consistency.  

Fish it is a pleasure as usual.  I have appreciated debating with you over the years.

I don't think the slippery slope argument applies in this case.  To put it simply in a normal season the difference between the 15th pick or the 20th or whatever are simply not enough to justify any strategy or desire to lose games.  In normal years the benefits of developing a defense or an offense, or making statement with a win in your own division far outweigh any marginal differences in draft order.  This year for the Jets  is not that.

The draft value chart, albeit an imperfect tool is probably the best tool we have.  The difference between the number 1 overall and the value of the pick 5 spots lower is 1300 points (from 3000 down to 1700) yet the same five spot difference later in the first round between 15th and 20th is only 200 points.  The "value" is heavily weighted towards the very top of the first round.  Now let's add in the idea that a generational QB may be coming out.  How many points is his "value"?  6000? 9000? more?   No sir the difference between the #1 overall pick this year and anything else for the Jets is worth every part of the tank which I fully believe has been underway for some time.

Now you can argue that it is bad for the sport and on an intellectual level I would agree with you.  But until they change the system to one where the worst teams go into a lottery or (even more unlikely) move to a European style relegation idea where ownership is really penalized for screwing up a franchise.... Well until something like that is the law of the land the current system simply provides too much benefit this year for the team who finishes last.