Trevor says he’d be ready to come to the Jets!

Rhg1084

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just Gase unfortunately.

It's ownership and JD.

JD promised Sam's Mom he would surround him with talent - and then went on to create, literally, the worst offensive roster in the history of the league.

You're becoming Sar man. 

What happened to you?  ?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, EM31 said:

And point out the Namath still gets TV commercials to this day.

If you bring success to this city it will never forget.

Jacksonville has what again?

Unfortunately in this espn millennial world we live in these kids are so indoctrinated to not try to play and win in NYC and instead they should be creating “superteams” in podunk markets where the best paying ad is Joe’s Pogey Bait Shop

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm not here to judge you, you do you.  If you're good, what I think should mean nothing.  I generally think rooting for something is positive, rooting against something is negative, but to each their own.

I'm usually Lord Pragmatic, and the "root for losses" view is entirely pragmatic.

Just curious where it ends.....if we're not going to win it all, technically the best thing to happen is to go 0-16 and get the #1 pick.  Do we root for all losses the second we're sure we're not winning it all?  Do we start a year rooting for losses if we think we don't have what it takes?  People who do both could argue all the same things you do above, it's entirely logical, entirely pragmatic to do so.

Me, I believe we could get the #1 pick for the rest of time and that alone will never bring us back to competitiveness for titles.  Winning is the only cure for losing.  Win, then build on the wins and win more.  Build.  We're the poster child for failure to build or maintain and have any consistency.  

Some people tend to look at the positives in a situation and cling on to hope, as hard as it may be. Based on a lot of posts Ive seen from you, You seem like an old jaded jet fan who's been burned time and time again, so your position is understandable. But id rather not live my life that way, if I get to that point ill just stop investing time and energy into a football team

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Cp561 said:

Some people tend to look at the positives in a situation and cling on to hope, as hard as it may be. Based on a lot of posts Ive seen from you, You seem like an old jaded jet fan who's been burned time and time again, so your position is understandable. But id rather not live my life that way, if I get to that point ill just stop investing time and energy into a football team

Good post. Warfish should just move on from the Jets to the Washington football team & call it a day. 

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Good post. Warfish should just move on from the Jets to the Washington football team & call it a day. 

See, now that's just meanspirited.

Fans rooting for losses get completely bent out of shape when anyone questions their fandom, but those same folks are happy to tell other fans to f' off and go root for someone else?

No mate, I'm not just gonna go root for the WFT, I've invested 40 years in the Jets.  And I love them, despite their complete lack of give-back in the last decade.

While I will watch some WFT the rest of this year, and if the Jets continue to suck might watch more WFT in the future, given I live here and have for 35 years, I will never stop being a Jets Fan.

Well.....if they keep Gase.  That might do it, lol.

TLDR:  No.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

See, now that's just meanspirited.

Fans rooting for losses get completely bent out of shape when anyone questions their fandom, but those same folks are happy to tell other fans to f' off and go root for someone else?

No mate, I'm not just gonna go root for the WFT, I've invested 40 years in the Jets.  And I love them, despite their complete lack of give-back in the last decade.

While I will watch some WFT the rest of this year, and if the Jets continue to suck might watch more WFT in the future, given I live here and have for 35 years, I will never stop being a Jets Fan.

Well.....if they keep Gase.  That might do it, lol.

TLDR:  No.

The "real fan gatekeeping" is absurd on every level, from every perspective, from every side.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cp561 said:

Being cynical, a glass-half-empty, problem-finder type "show me" kind of person is just who I am. 

Not everyone can be a Pollyanna.  For some of us, that kind of mindless positivity just isn't in our nature.  We need a reason to base positivity on, to counter the reasons we have for negativity.

It's hardly a reason to give up passtimes or hobbies, either way.  And no, we're not "miserable" or any of the other ideas some of you seem to think, most days I'm as happy as any, and happier than many.

It's ironic, you're telling me not to be so negative, and that's exactly what I'm doing, choosing to root my local team the rest of this year instead of actively rooting against my own beloved team.  But then Jetster pulls the f'off and go be a WFT Fan for doing it.  Lol. can't win with the Fandom Gatekeepers I guess.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm just not in love with the job JD has done so far - too many of you are.

I am very concerned with the way built this team, handled FA and am not blinded by the gimmie Becton pick to say he's a master drafter.

I’ll try to be fair here. I don’t think “too many” of us are in love with the job he’s done, just hopeful. 

To be fair to JD, he hasn’t “built” this team yet, so hold off on your concerns. He had 1 year, and no, I don’t count the first year where he had 0 opportunity to significantly improve the team. Looking at what he’s done in FA, it’s been more about the money he hasn’t spent which has been good and bad. I personally would have gone after Conklin and resigned Robby. He admitted it was a mistake not resigning Robby which is great to hear, at least he recognizes his faults which is more than I can say for some past GMs. That said, he’s positioned us well to have the cap space to build so I think his FA grade is a bit incomplete. I think we’ll have a much better idea of who JD is after the next FA period.

With regards to the draft, I think you need to give him a bit more credit for Becton. I personally wanted him the least out of all the tackles. If it was me, I would have taken wirfs, who wouldn’t have been a bad pick but doesn’t have the upside of becton. Add in the fact that becton had a drug incident that came up before the draft, JD talked to him and still decided to draft him, that’s excellent instincts/scouting. As for the rest of the draft, we’ll see, but JD’s ability and willingness to trade and maneuver up and down the draft board is something we haven’t seen in a long time and an extremely welcome sight in my eyes. I think being flexible like that can create tremendous opportunity to build a great team through the draft.

So in conclusion, I’m not yet in full blown love, but am hopeful about JD. I have no misconceptions. He’s made mistakes for sure, but he’s shown great signs as well. I think we’ll be able to have a more conclusive judgement about him at this point next year. You have to give a GM more than 1 draft, usually it takes 2-3 to judge them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I’ll try to be fair here. I don’t think “too many” of us are in love with the job he’s done, just hopeful. 

To be fair to JD, he hasn’t “built” this team yet, so hold off on your concerns. He had 1 year, and no, I don’t count the first year where he had 0 opportunity to significantly improve the team. Looking at what he’s done in FA, it’s been more about the money he hasn’t spent which has been good and bad. I personally would have gone after Conklin and resigned Robby. He admitted it was a mistake not resigning Robby which is great to hear, at least he recognizes his faults which is more than I can say for some past GMs. That said, he’s positioned us well to have the cap space to build so I think his FA grade is a bit incomplete. I think we’ll have a much better idea of who JD is after the next FA period.

With regards to the draft, I think you need to give him a bit more credit for Becton. I personally wanted him the least out of all the tackles. If it was me, I would have taken wirfs, who wouldn’t have been a bad pick but doesn’t have the upside of becton. Add in the fact that becton had a drug incident that came up before the draft, JD talked to him and still decided to draft him, that’s excellent instincts/scouting. As for the rest of the draft, we’ll see, but JD’s ability and willingness to trade and maneuver up and down the draft board is something we haven’t seen in a long time and an extremely welcome sight in my eyes. I think being flexible like that can create tremendous opportunity to build a great team through the draft.

So in conclusion, I’m not yet in full blown love, but am hopeful about JD. I have no misconceptions. He’s made mistakes for sure, but he’s shown great signs as well. I think we’ll be able to have a more conclusive judgement about him at this point next year. You have to give a GM more than 1 draft, usually it takes 2-3 to judge them.

Fair enough.  It's a reasonable position, I don't agree with all of it but can certainly understand what you're saying.   

For me, he really is still a complete unknown at this point.

I have one major question:

Did he really think he was building a winner this year?  He has publicly stated that he believed he had built a competitive team - expressed regret for some moves and dissapointment in performance of others.

Or

Did he put out this team understanding it was garbage but felt he needed to completely clean up Mac's mess in basically one-offseason and start the rebuild next year.    Logic shows this is what he was doing.  Signing mostly back-ups to start here - on mostly one-year deals.

If it's the former he's going to be a disaster, if it's the latter I have faith he's on the right track.

I don't know which it is but I think we'll find out soon enough.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Being cynical, a glass-half-empty, problem-finder type "show me" kind of person is just who I am. 

Not everyone can be a Pollyanna.  For some of us, that kind of mindless positivity just isn't in our nature.  We need a reason to base positivity on, to counter the reasons we have for negativity.

It's hardly a reason to give up passtimes or hobbies, either way.  And no, we're not "miserable" or any of the other ideas some of you seem to think, most days I'm as happy as any, and happier than many.

It's ironic, you're telling me not to be so negative, and that's exactly what I'm doing, choosing to root my local team the rest of this year instead of actively rooting against my own beloved team.  But then Jetster pulls the f'off and go be a WFT Fan for doing it.  Lol. can't win with the Fandom Gatekeepers I guess.

Most people's reason for not rooting for the tank is "well they'll just screw it up they're the Jets, they screwed up Sam" etc etc etc, perpetuating the negativity. Which by the way, is fair and, to be honest a likely outcome if the past is anything to go by.  But objectively speaking I honestly don't see a reason to not root for the tank at this point. Whats the difference at this point if we're 1-15 with a meaningless win against Stidham and the Pats just playing out the string, or 0-16, except for our draft position? I guess one enjoyable afternoon of some winning football, and then waking up the next morning and remembering theyre still 1-15 and an utter dumpster fire

6 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

But objectively speaking I honestly don't see a reason to not root for the tank at this point.

Pragmatically, I agree completely.  0-16 and the #1 pick is the 2nd best possible outcome. 

1-15 or 2-14 and still getting the #1 pick would be better. :)

Whats the difference at this point if we're 1-15 with a meaningless win against Stidham and the Pats just playing out the string, or 0-16, except for our draft position?

The difference is going down in NFL History as one of, if not the, worst teams ever to play the game vs. just another 1-15 team no one but us will remember.  We're the butt of NFL jokes enough as it is.

I guess one enjoyable afternoon of some winning football, and then waking up the next morning and remembering theyre still 1-15 and an utter dumpster fire

Would still be one good afternoon.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The difference is going down in NFL History as one of, if not the, worst teams ever to play the game vs. just another 1-15 team no one but us will remember.  We're the butt of NFL jokes enough as it is.

Meh, who cares.

All you hear about on ESPN, or NFL.com is how the Pats are the greatess team in the history of the NFL.  No talk about how they were one of the worst teams in the NFL 

From 89-95 the Pats record was 52-91.  Double digit Losses 5 consecutive seasons. Laughing stock of the NFL.  First the Tuna, then Brady came on the scene.  No one cares about the run from 1960- 1993.

IF Lawrence is the real deal, wins multiple Super Bowls in 15 years the 0-16 2020 Jets will be a footnote to the pandemic.  

Jets fans will look back upon it fondly.  If your personal self worth hinges on the success or failure of a football team, well it's sad for you.

0-16, then on to the future.

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Meh, who cares.

I do, obviously.

All you hear about on ESPN, or NFL.com is how the Pats are the greatess team in the history of the NFL.  No talk about how they were one of the worst teams in the NFL

If you say so.

IF Lawrence is the real deal, wins multiple Super Bowls in 15 years the 0-16 2020 Jets will be a footnote to the pandemic.  

Big If.

Jets fans will look back upon it fondly. 

I doubt it.

If your personal self worth hinges on the success or failure of a football team, well it's sad for you.

Keep your comments on football, if you don't mind.  

Yup, we'll see.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Please.  Gase didn't have a plan beyond firing Macc.  Which I'll be forever thankful for.  But that's plenty of credit.  There's no need to try to manufacture more for your boy.

The Jets franchise is exponentially better off today than it was when Gase took the job. Whenever a house gets built, the interior decorator gets credit for its beauty but nobody remembers the guy who got in the dirt and put in the foundation. 

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Keep your comments on football, if you don't mind.  

Yes , beause this is strickly a football comment.  I get it, your rules aren't for you.  LOL

"Fans rooting for losses get completely bent out of shape when anyone questions their fandom, but those same folks are happy to tell other fans to f' off and go root for someone else?"

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets franchise is exponentially better off today than it was when Gase took the job. Whenever a house gets built, the interior decorator gets credit for its beauty but nobody remembers the guy who got in the dirt and put in the foundation. 

Ah, so Gase wasn’t really hired to be the head coach / offensive guru, as was publicly stated, because he’s failed miserably in every statistical measurement of those roles.  Instead, he was really just a “fixer”, who was setting the team up for long-term success by replacing a poor GM with a (presumably) good one and by ruining a young QB who could have been really good in order to attain a Hall of Fame QB who will finally lead us to championship glory?  And he was best able to accomplish these things from the “head coach” position, but will soon bow out after going 0-16 and hand the reins over to a real head coach, who will want the job because Gase systematically blundered the team into Trevor Lawrence?  My god, Christopher Johnson really is playing 3-D chess!

3 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Ah, so Gase wasn’t really hired to be the head coach / offensive guru, as was publicly stated, because he’s failed miserably in every statistical measurement of those roles.  Instead, he was really just a “fixer”, who was setting the team up for long-term success by replacing a poor GM with a (presumably) good one and by ruining a young QB who could have been really good in order to attain a Hall of Fame QB who will finally lead us to championship glory?  And he was best able to accomplish these things from the “head coach” position, but will soon bow out after going 0-16 and hand the reins over to a real head coach, who will want the job because Gase systematically blundered the team into Trevor Lawrence?  My god, Christopher Johnson really is playing 3-D chess!

The alternative was Mike McCarthy, Mike Maccagnan, and trying to squeeze a spine into Sam Darnold for a minimum of three more seasons like they did with Sanchez. 

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Unfortunately in this espn millennial world we live in these kids are so indoctrinated to not try to play and win in NYC and instead they should be creating “superteams” in podunk markets where the best paying ad is Joe’s Pogey Bait Shop

Two of the highest paid NFL players by endorsements -- if not the two highest-paid -- play in the the #32 and #67 biggest media markets in the country: Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers. #67 actually represents Milwaukee because GB is basically off the scale.

NYC as the only place to make the eff you money has been dead for 10 years or more. The days of getting most of your money from local commercials has been dead for 30 years. Be great anywhere in the NFL and you're going to get paid.

Granted if you're a JAG, you'll make more from car dealership openings in NYC than most other places.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

Two of the highest paid NFL players by endorsements -- if not the two highest-paid -- play in the the #32 and #67 biggest media markets in the country: Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers. #67 actually represents Milwaukee because GB is basically off the scale.

NYC as the only place to make the eff you money has been dead for 10 years or more. The days of getting most of your money from local commercials has been dead for 30 years. Be great anywhere in the NFL and you're going to get paid.

Granted if you're a JAG, you'll make more from car dealership openings in NYC than most other places.

Yep

Don't know where Cleveland ranks as a media market, but I'm willing to bet Ole Baker is making a good bit of money there. 

Sam?  Not so much. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Meh, who cares.

From 89-95 the Pats record was 52-91.  Double digit Losses 5 consecutive seasons. Laughing stock of the NFL.  First the Tuna, then Brady came on the scene.  No one cares about the run from 1960- 1993.

Jets fans will look back upon it fondly.  If your personal self worth hinges on the success or failure of a football team, well it's sad for you.

Plus, if anyone asks, just tell them Covid was responsible. It was a lost season. People will just respond, oh yea, 2020 was crazy!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm just not in love with the job JD has done so far - too many of you are.

I am very concerned with the way built this team, handled FA and am not blinded by the gimmie Becton pick to say he's a master drafter.

Yeah we've covered that before lol 

I think that's fine, but where I see a really strong first draft by JD I think hasn't given enough negative to be concerned either.  I can certainly see the other side of the argument, but e have to remember he only had 1 offseason and draft. One.  His main job has been undoing what was here which was no easy task.  Can you acknowledge that he's done a good job with that side of things? 

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah we've covered that before lol 

I think that's fine, but where I see a really strong first draft by JD I think hasn't given enough negative to be concerned either.  I can certainly see the other side of the argument, but e have to remember he only had 1 offseason and draft. One.  His main job has been undoing what was here which was no easy task.  Can you acknowledge that he's done a good job with that side of things? 

I just don't see how you see that. Wreaks of green colored glasses.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just don't see how you see that. Wreaks of green colored glasses.

I see that because I do a lot of in depth eval before the draft and know many of the players quite well.  Getting Mims how he did was masterful and we haven't see that sort of GM work in our history. Trader Mike did some fun stuff but never got the return JD is getting. JD added 6 picks including the 5th and 6th this year and was still able to grab 2 guys with first rd grades and others such as Davis, Zuniga and Clark who were projected to go much higher than they went. Bryce Hall too. I love that draft. Even if Becton and Mims are all we get, which is very conservative, it will be the strongest draft we've had in a decade. 

As an aside, Let's not forget that we have Gase as the HC who is supposed to be developing guys. NO QB coach or actual OC. And a 5 year history of guys leaving gase and doing much better. Whatever flaws and slow growth we are seeing with the rooks is almost guaranteed to improve when he's gone. 

Then we look at the draft capital and cap space JD has created for this year. We are set up better than almost any team in the NFL.  That didn't just happen. 

I know you don't like Mims, but I think you're just not looking. He has been exceptional in a terrible offense. He's a rookie on a Gase coached team and the worst QB play in the NFL. We couldn't want more from him imo. 

• Upvote 2