Covid vaccines

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am sure by now everyone is sick about everything covid related but the vaccines just started rolling out. Working in a hospital I hear about alot of people who want more data before getting it (I w

Received mine last week, without issues other than typical sore deltoid from any intramuscular shot (asked for it in the glute, but was denied. Le sigh). Will update in two and a half weeks when I rec

My wife got her second Pfizer shot last week. Knocked her out for a few days with nausea, aches and chills, but no fever which is all we were concerned about considering she's pregnant. First ultrasou

Posted Images

Morning update- no fever, no chills, no headache. Did not get alot of sleep last night because my arm did develop a good bit of uncomfortable tenderness which hopefully will go away with use today. Last night I also felt a little short of breath before bed but I suspect it was more of a mental thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Thanks for what you do in the hospital to help those in need.  Really glad the vaccine is finally available and given to first line people such as you.  Happy that you don't have major side effects.

I'm in my middle 60s and would be the first in line to get either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.  Can't wait to get shot up and develop immunity or, at least, a chance to avoid extreme illness/death from COVID-19.

Thanks again, @bealeb319, for what you do and for sharing your personal experiences with the vaccine with us here on JN.  Unlike our team the last 50+ years, you're a champ.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I had COVID-19 last December and I still have the antibodies a year later. I've already donated my plasma three times (I have an uncommon blood type), and I'll be setting up another appointment in a couple of weeks with the NY Blood Center. 

From a personal standpoint, I am in no rush to get the vaccine and will probably pass in the immediate and near future until more information becomes available. If it turns out that this behaves something like Pertussis in the end . . . Pertussis strains have morphed so exponentially that the vaccine has become essentially useless at this juncture - they can't keep up, and some Physicians don't even give it to babies anymore. Anyway, based on the information that we currently have, for someone in my shoes, I don't see the point.

While I realize but this can take some time to occur, who is to say that since we had COVID-19/20 that we won't have COVID-21/22/23/24/25/26/27, you see where this is going. Unless of course it behaves like polio, which nobody really knows right now. A vaccine for SARS was dropped in futility as we all know. COVID is a SARS virus. Time will tell on all scores how broadly effective it is.

I'm more terrified of shingles to be honest (easy for me to say beccause I already had COVID-19, but there you have it). The baccine is ridiculously expensive, and I keep putting it off at my own peril. I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but unless your Physician actually has the vaccine in his office (the majority of them do not), this vaccine is essentially out-of-pocket, insurance or no insurance. You may get some reimbursement from your insurance company but most times it's peanuts. Almost every Pharmacy stocks the vaccine and the cost varies, but the average price is about $300 x 2 (initial shot plus booster a month or two later). I have a phone number for Glaxo-Kline somewhere that I'll post later, because I do believe that they offer some assistance if you are on Medicare/Medicaid. Anyway, I'm biting the financial bullet. I'm getting my first shot in mid-January.

I'm not going to be passing on the COVID vaccine on the initial rollout because I'm fearful of an adverse reaction. I just know that there are millions of people who are living in abject fear when they have the antibodies and are completely unaware that they have them. It doesn't mean that you should tiptoe through the tulips after that, but I think that a portion of people who are terrified of dying from it might sleep a little easier at night.  Whether or not you opt to get the vaccine, get the antibody test already and donate. It's not a huge deal. The antibody test is $10 at LabCorp without insurance.

Keep the board er, posted OP. Hey hey, ho ho, 2020 has got to go! What a POS year. Good luck and stay safe, everyone.

• Upvote 2

Thanks 

may daughter is a 3rd year nursing student and will be vaccinating people starting next week. She suffers from chronic headaches. She’s hesitant to get vaccinated herself because the 2nd dose packs a punch

any feedback on headache experience or data would be appreciated   

she’s consulting her neurologist of course but I’m curious about your input 

• Upvote 2

I have spoken to a few people I trust, one is a Doctor and the other runs Clinical drug trials. I got the same answer from both. They feel both options are safe and will take whatever one they are offered first.

Sign me up.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I've had a brutal, pounding headache all day. Been puking my brains out and my entire freaking body is sore. I'd like to just die. I didn't get the vaccine, just had too much to drink last night.

I was like,” oh know I got the...” oh yeah, wheww!!

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have spoken to a few people I trust, one is a Doctor and the other runs Clinical drug trials. I got the same answer from both. They feel both options are safe and will take whatever one they are offered first.

Sign me up.

I was hoping for chewables. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Always going to have that. It says 5 people that’s not awful and all medications come with some risk of allergic reactions. All the drug commercials always end with,” Don’t take drug B if you are allergic to drug B.” If people don’t know what they are allergic to they should go see a Dr abs fine out. I found out years ago I’m severely allergic to portion control. So that’s why I avoid that shit.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Always going to have that. It says 5 people that’s not awful and all medications come with some risk of allergic reactions. All the drug commercials always end with,” Don’t take drug B if you are allergic to drug B.” If people don’t know what they are allergic to they should go see a Dr abs fine out. I found out years ago I’m severely allergic to portion control. So that’s why I avoid that sh*t.

Tainted Salk vaccine (Polio) sickened a bunch of folks and even killed a few.  As you say, no medical intervention is 100% safe.  I'm willing to take the shot.  Would do it this morning if it were available to me.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Received mine last week, without issues other than typical sore deltoid from any intramuscular shot (asked for it in the glute, but was denied. Le sigh). Will update in two and a half weeks when I receive the second dose. 

Just a couple of facts:  we don't know the long terms effects of the vaccine, true. However, we also don't know the long-term effects of the virus (e.g. pulmonary fibrosis, hypercoagulability etc.) but we do know the short- and moderate-term effects of the virus include death (1 out of every 1000 Americans has died since March) and multi-system organ failure. We have patients recover and return to clinic months later, and they still have lasting deleterious effects. I won't tell anyone what to do, but I will say that I have told my elderly Mother and family (including younger cousins who have had the virus) to all get it the moment that they can. Regardless, I hope everyone here stays safe and has a happy holidays. 

For reference:  ran a COVID ICU for two months in NYC in the hardest hit health-system in the country for COVID. We are seeing a resurgence that is going to be eerily similar to the Spring. The people who are filling our ICUs currently: 50s, without known comorbidities, other than being overweight (sound familiar to anyone on these boards....). Even if they recover and make it out of the hospital, it will be weeks to months in a rehab facility with a tracheostomy and feeding tube and probably a full year to functional recovery. Again, vaccine or not, I hope everyone here stays safe and smart.

50’s and fat? Nope, don’t know anyone like that. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Received mine last week, without issues other than typical sore deltoid from any intramuscular shot (asked for it in the glute, but was denied. Le sigh). Will update in two and a half weeks when I receive the second dose. 

Just a couple of facts:  we don't know the long terms effects of the vaccine, true. However, we also don't know the long-term effects of the virus (e.g. pulmonary fibrosis, hypercoagulability etc.) but we do know the short- and moderate-term effects of the virus include death (1 out of every 1000 Americans has died since March) and multi-system organ failure. We have patients recover and return to clinic months later, and they still have lasting deleterious effects. I won't tell anyone what to do, but I will say that I have told my elderly Mother and family (including younger cousins who have had the virus) to all get it the moment that they can. Regardless, I hope everyone here stays safe and has a happy holidays. 

For reference:  ran a COVID ICU for two months in NYC in the hardest hit health-system in the country for COVID. We are seeing a resurgence that is going to be eerily similar to the Spring. The people who are filling our ICUs currently: 50s, without known comorbidities, other than being overweight (sound familiar to anyone on these boards....). Even if they recover and make it out of the hospital, it will be weeks to months in a rehab facility with a tracheostomy and feeding tube and probably a full year to functional recovery. Again, vaccine or not, I hope everyone here stays safe and smart.

What's your firsthand experience so far with antibodies? is the three-month thing legit? The reason I ask is because I'm on day nine and I would like to know if starting Tuesday I can go around licking telephone polls and sh*t until March. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Had you in mind typing that my man, stay safe! Unfortunately, the sexiness doesn't offer any protective traits. 

I appreciate that brother. At the same time you wut? Dem fighting words! You too, be well and thanks for all you do for  everyone. Bless you. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll just say that I hope people do plenty of research on this stuff before taking it.  Personally, I want no part of this vaccine.

I posted this above but my research is in three parts:

1. A doctor that we are very close with. Asked for a recommendation.

2. A friend that runs clinical drug trials and understands all of this at a level I never will.

Both of them explained mRNA and what this vaccine is doing. They both gave me the same answer, they are taking it the day they can and they are having their children take it. They both said they are comfortable with the Pfizer or Moderna one. If they could pick, they would pick Pfizer.

3. I will consult with my primary physican as well.

Not more how much more research I can do, so that is definitely good enough for me personally.

But I think the good thing is if anyone wants to not take it, they just don't have to take it. Kind of what is happening now, everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

45 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What's your firsthand experience so far with antibodies? is the three-month thing legit? The reason I ask is because I'm on day nine and I would like to know if starting Tuesday I can go around licking telephone polls and sh*t until March. 

You might be the brightest of the Darwin Award recipients yet.

• Haha 1