Covid vaccines

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am sure by now everyone is sick about everything covid related but the vaccines just started rolling out. Working in a hospital I hear about alot of people who want more data before getting it (I w

Received mine last week, without issues other than typical sore deltoid from any intramuscular shot (asked for it in the glute, but was denied. Le sigh). Will update in two and a half weeks when I rec

My wife got her second Pfizer shot last week. Knocked her out for a few days with nausea, aches and chills, but no fever which is all we were concerned about considering she's pregnant. First ultrasou

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Only two states are giving smokers priority. 

and your health insurance is not important  - can’t buy a vaccine at this point 

Yup 

Nope

Registration is almost impossible at this point. 

The window of opportunity I had was for 2 days being a first responder. 

I missed it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
On 1/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, SAR I said:

Anyone have any experience with the New Jersey process?

I registered on the State of NJ site two weeks ago and just got an email last night saying I am eligible (1C) and that I would soon be given a scheduled appointment with the state.  But it also said another option is to go to an independent (hospital, drug chain, etc) and provided links.

When I went to Walgreens to register it says I need to provide a "registration code" which was not provided to me in either of the email communications from the NJ state registration system.  Anyone else run into this?

SAR I

Same here, registered, took forever got an email but nothing else. I have been signing up on all the local options as well. Figured one of them will call eventually. My guess is I get a call in late February for a March shot. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, SAR I said:

Good news-  was persistent and am scheduled at the mega site for my first vaccination on Feb 4.  

At MetLife Stadium.  PSL Gold indeed. 

SAR I

Holy crap great job. I need to be more persistent I guess.  Good job.

17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Got round two yesterday.  It’s kicking my butt a bit.  Mild fever, nausea, headache, and same arm pain overnight.

What one did you get, if I may?

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Holy crap great job. I need to be more persistent I guess.  Good job.

Just luck, the slots seemingly open up randomly.  Two helpful tips:

First,  if you intend to get your vaccine at the Bergen Megasite, it's through Hackensack Meridian and will require you to set up an account during the appointment process.  To save yourself time, register for a Hackensack Meridian account before you start trying to get an appointment.

Next, once you get lucky and get a Bergen Megasite appointment at MetLife, they do not send you a confirmation email.  So make sure to take screenshots when you get your appointment.  There is a calendar function in the aforementioned account, you can go there to re-print it if necessary.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Site shutdown until further notice. 

joewilly12 

Looks like the Bergen Megasite at MetLife anticipated the shortage and didn't schedule any appointments for this Monday or Tuesday and are set to resume today.  My appointment is still active on their system.  Fingers crossed:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/ridgewood/meadowlands-vaccine-mega-site-reopen-wednesday

SAR I

• Upvote 2
57 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What one did you get, if I may?

Moderna.  My wife got Pfizer, and she was fine after 2.  But, small sample size.

I’m not worried.  Just worn out.  I’m sure I’ll be good within 48, at worst.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Looks like the Bergen Megasite at MetLife anticipated the shortage and didn't schedule any appointments for this Monday or Tuesday and are set to resume today.  My appointment is still active on their system.  Fingers crossed:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/ridgewood/meadowlands-vaccine-mega-site-reopen-wednesday

SAR I

Good luck @SAR I  please keep us posted. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Moderna.  My wife got Pfizer, and she was fine after 2.  But, small sample size.

I watched a noted epidemiologist on TV a few weeks ago who said mild reactions like yours are actually a good thing.  It's uncomfortable, but means the vaccine in working.   Hope you feel better.   Keep producing those antibodies.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I'm trying to decide to take one or two days off after the shot. I'm pretty comfortable with the 1 day after the first one but not sure about the second one. I'm lined up for Pfizer, but they are starting to talk about shortages so not sure. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Felt better by noon yesterday and pretty much 100% this morning.  Very quick.

Good to hear. My date just got pushed back indefinitely because they ran out. 

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good to hear. My date just got pushed back indefinitely because they ran out. 

That's unfortunate.  If you have your registration paperwork, I'd think about going to the site, and just playing dumb.  Maybe they'll need a body.

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

That's unfortunate.  If you have your registration paperwork, I'd think about going to the site, and just playing dumb.  Maybe they'll need a body.

Different in Virginia. They won’t let you in until they call you from your car. It’s fine though, I only see patients five days a week. Sure others need it more. 

• Haha 1

Damn, just read this item about the J&J vaccine.  Not the home run I was expecting.  Disappointing results compared to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  I'd still get it if it were the only one available.  Better than nothing and greater protection one might expect from the annual flu vaccine.

Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 single-shot vaccine was shown to be 66% effective in preventing moderate and severe disease in a global Phase 3 trial, but 85% efficacy against severe disease, the company announced Friday. 

The vaccine was 72% effective against moderate and severe disease in the US, the company said.
It's a striking difference from vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, and it may give pause to people uncertain about which vaccine to get or when they can get one. The vaccines already on the market in the US are about 95% effective overall against symptomatic Covid-19, with perhaps even higher efficacy against severe cases.
But experts say the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will still be useful against the pandemic in the United States and around the world.

"Among all participants from different geographies and including those infected with an emerging viral variant, Janssen's COVID-19 vaccine candidate was 66% effective overall at preventing the combined endpoints of moderate and severe COVID-19, 28 days after vaccination. The onset of protection was observed as early as day 14," the company said in a statement.

Next County over from me not far from where I live. 

N.J. hospital gave out COVID vaccine to donors, trustees, family members of executives, report says

A hospital system gave COVID vaccine shots to about two dozen wealthy donors, trustees and people who were related to executives and supervisors at a time when only health care workers and nursing home residents were eligible, according to a published report.

The report, published by New Jersey 101.5, alleged that Hunterdon Medical Center gave out vaccines to people connected with the hospital as the rollout in the state was getting underway in December and early January.

The report, based on a vaccine registry document provided to the news organization by a whistleblower, indicated that the young-adult children of hospital executives and supervisors were also able to get the shot at a time when only front-line healthcare workers and long-term care residents were eligible for vaccines.

The hospital said some of the people received shots because there were extra doses left over at the end of the day.

“In the early days of vaccine administration, when we had extra doses at the end of a clinic day because of no-shows or because our pharmacists had successfully extracted more doses from each vial than expected, we did our best to make sure those doses went into someone’s arm rather than go unused,” Kathleen Seelig, a spokeswoman for Hunterdon Healthcare System, told NJ Advance Media

She said the facility first looked first for “clinicians and made sure that every healthcare worker throughout the system who wanted the vaccine received it.”

“If doses remained available after all available healthcare workers were vaccinated, then and only then did we reach out immediately to others, which first included family members of clinic workers followed by volunteers, which included some board members, community members, and executives,” she said. “We believed, and still believe, that it was better to vaccinate someone available to us than to allow any vaccine go to waste. We also confirmed this protocol with the Department of Health who repeatedly directed healthcare organizations to get vaccine into arms.”

Hunterdon Healthcare said it has administered more than 8,000 doses of vaccine to health care clinicians, seniors and at-risk individuals as of this week. It said it can deliver as many as 7,000 doses per week once the supply is available.

When Gov. Phil Murphy was asked about the report during his Wednesday coronavirus briefing, he said he hadn’t read the report, but said “bad actors” could lose their supply of the scarce vaccine.

“If that turns out to be the case, and they volitionally did that in the face of guidance that was crystal clear - that’s incredibly offensive,” Murphy said. “If people monkey around like that, it’s going to impact the number of doses they get from us moving forward.”

The governor and health commissioner have said in the past they don’t want to see doses wasted, noting that there was some confusion at the start of the vaccine program as to whether hospital board members, for example, should receive a vaccine with other health care workers.

The report also said that on the day before seniors and those with medical conditions became eligible for vaccines, the hospital system sent a letter to donors.

“While the timeline for an individual to receive that vaccine may be complicated, the Foundation is here to help you. This does not mean you will receive the vaccine prior to the category under which you fall but rather, that we will assist you in navigating a process that is rapidly changing and can sometimes be complex,” said the Jan. 13 letter by the Hunterdon Healthcare Foundation, the report said. “Who can get the vaccine and when needs to follow strict guidelines set by the State of New Jersey and the Center for Disease Control.”

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Next County over from me not far from where I live. 

N.J. hospital gave out COVID vaccine to donors, trustees, family members of executives, report says

Reprehensible as this may be, there's a strong argument to be made that companies should have been allowed to sell the early doses.  Had they been able to charge like $10,000 for the vaccination, very wealthy people would have paid it, and that money (or a loan from the prospect of that money) could have been used to scale up mRNA production exponentially, helping to deliver more shots to the population faster.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, munchmemory said:

Damn, just read this item about the J&J vaccine.  Not the home run I was expecting.  Disappointing results compared to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  I'd still get it if it were the only one available.  Better than nothing and greater protection one might expect from the annual flu vaccine.

Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 single-shot vaccine was shown to be 66% effective in preventing moderate and severe disease in a global Phase 3 trial, but 85% efficacy against severe disease, the company announced Friday. 

The vaccine was 72% effective against moderate and severe disease in the US, the company said.
It's a striking difference from vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, and it may give pause to people uncertain about which vaccine to get or when they can get one. The vaccines already on the market in the US are about 95% effective overall against symptomatic Covid-19, with perhaps even higher efficacy against severe cases.
But experts say the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will still be useful against the pandemic in the United States and around the world.

"Among all participants from different geographies and including those infected with an emerging viral variant, Janssen's COVID-19 vaccine candidate was 66% effective overall at preventing the combined endpoints of moderate and severe COVID-19, 28 days after vaccination. The onset of protection was observed as early as day 14," the company said in a statement.

No deaths and no hospitalizations IS a home run

• Like 1
1 hour ago, talisaynon said:

No deaths and no hospitalizations IS a home run

You're right, of course.  If available to me, I'd get the J&J shot immediately.  No question.  

Was just hoping their vaccine would be at the same level as the ones from Pfizer and Moderna.   But saw an item the other day that the J&J vaccine may approach the same levels when a second booster dose is added.  

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

You're right, of course.  If available to me, I'd get the J&J shot immediately.  No question.  

Was just hoping their vaccine would be at the same level as the ones from Pfizer and Moderna.   But saw an item the other day that the J&J vaccine may approach the same levels when a second booster dose is added.  

It’s going to help fill in the gaps and it’s a single dose that requires only basic refrigeration 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Larz said:

It’s going to help fill in the gaps and it’s a single dose that requires only basic refrigeration 

Yup.  Exactly why I was hoping for the 95% rate Pfizer and Moderna achieved.   But I will take anything which even just removes the prospect of hospitalization and/or death.  

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.  Exactly why I was hoping for the 95% rate Pfizer and Moderna achieved.   But I will take anything which even just removes the prospect of hospitalization and/or death.  

I’m no expert, so I don’t know how to explain it, but there is some very early preliminary data showing that the virus may be “learning “ how to get around the vaccine. A virus doesn’t have a single cell of a nervous system of course but whatever is exactly happening if it’s true it’s really really bad 

• Like 1
Just now, Larz said:

I’m no expert, so I don’t know how to explain it, but there is some very early preliminary data showing that the virus may be “learning “ how to get around the vaccine. A virus doesn’t have a single cell of a nervous system of course but whatever is exactly happening if it’s true it’s really really bad 

Larz, you're right.  If true, that is beyond frightening.  Can't imagine how many lives would be lost before the virus died out through herd immunity.  Wow.

Received my first does of the Pfizer vaccine on January 25th and haven't had a single side effect. The only thing I can remotely say is that I feel a little more tired than normal......but I work midnights and my sleep schedule is jacked up on a good day between days off and using ZzyQuil to get to sleep.

I went home the morning of my first dose and busted out a 30 minute kettlebell workout with no issues.

• Upvote 1
On 1/27/2021 at 9:17 AM, TeddEY said:

Interesting - I've heard the second dose is the one that typically gets you. My second dose of Pfizer is in a week and a half. We shall see. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Interesting - I've heard the second dose is the one that typically gets you. My second dose of Pfizer is in a week and a half. We shall see. 

It was the 2nd that got me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Holding out for the J&J vaccination if any at all. 

Ironically Covid cases seem to be dropping. 

Cases are dropping because of the vaccinations, recovered patients, and folks continuing with masking, etc.   Don't get complacent, however.  The new mutated strains--especially the one from S. Africa--are scary virulent.  

28 minutes ago, Maxman said:

How did you feel after it?

It's just above.  Post 110.

But, for a bit more detail, I got my shot around 11am.  My son woke us up around 1am, but when I got up, I was freezing.  I struggled to fall back to sleep as I was bouncing from cold to hot.  Eventually, fell asleep for an hour or so.  I got up around 6:30 and had a bit of a headache, mild nausea, and a fever of between 99.8 and 100.0.  Took the day off from work, took a nap, and woke up around 12:30 feeling largely fine.

Overall, a pretty mild event.  Since then, no issue at all.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It's just above.  Post 110.

But, for a bit more detail, I got my shot around 11am.  My son woke us up around 1am, but when I got up, I was freezing.  I struggled to fall back to sleep as I was bouncing from cold to hot.  Eventually, fell asleep for an hour or so.  I got up around 6:30 and had a bit of a headache, mild nausea, and a fever of between 99.8 and 100.0.  Took the day off from work, took a nap, and woke up around 12:30 feeling largely fine.

Overall, a pretty mild event.  Since then, no issue at all.

I am glad you are feeling better. Sometimes the 5g can take a few hours to find the proper receptor. Once they land you are fine.